JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Believe or Doubt

Author Topic: General Japanese Rock Thread  (Read 246973 times)

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
General Japanese rock thread
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 02:08:38 PM »
You want posts? Okay, here goes.

The definition of 'Jrock' tends to vary depending on the user, so I usually forget it and use Japanese Rock instead to describe just that. Some of these might drift a little into other 'genres' but anyway:

I'm into a lot of Japanese indie rock bands, most notably anything involving Shutoku Mukai and his cohorts: Number Girl, Zazen Boys, Bloodthirsty Butchers. My other 'rock' favourites include: Bugy Craxone, The Back Horn, Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen, Go!Go!7188, Acidman and Thee Michelle Gun Elephant.

I'm really not that much into VK, regarding the 'visual' aspect, but I like some bands for their music. Some Laruku songs (Killing Me comes to mind), some Luna Sea (are they even VK? Got a few albums) and I do have the entire Sex Machineguns discography... but I guess they're J-metal, not.. Okay, see how I hate these categories. :D

Dir En Grey is one band that's a semi-disappointment to me musically, mainly because some of the few songs I've heard have show promise but I just can't stand the vocal style. It's the same with a lot of VK bands really: good music, annoying vocal style.

I'm sure there are more VK bands out there that I'd enjoy listening to, but I have yet to really dive in proper.

Just my two general jrock ramble-cents.  8)

Offline Kei

• It's legal in MY country!
  • Member+
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2006, 03:25:40 PM »
I like jrock too. Currently I'm on a real BUCK-TICK kick. HA!
赤い瞳は ソドムの街で
美しい女を 採集する
針で止めた 蝶や蛾の様に
動けないおまえは 俺の物

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2006, 08:31:33 PM »

you know i like jrock.

but as for vk..
Sid!! シド!!

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006, 12:21:55 AM »
You guys want some suggestions of newer jrock/vk bands (that aren't disbanded)?
In alphabetical order:
D'espairsRay - Great metal. I guess you could consider them gothic metal (not a bad thing). Lots of variation and cool melodies.
12012 - Much like D'espairsRay, but not as good.
Anti-Feminism - They've been around for a while, but they released their first album 2 or 3 years ago. Punk/thrash. Most songs under 2 minutes.
Bang-Doll - Good old school metal. They've also been around for a while, but few have heard of them.
CHUCKY - If you mix speed metal and hair metal you get CHUCKY. Fun party metal songs mixed with really heavy stuff.
Cloud Nine - Another straightforward metal band. Mix a little nu metal in there, but not enough to make it bad.
D - They have a wide variety of songs. Everything from ballads to heavy stuff. Most VK fans should like thse guys
Danger Gang - One of the few all female VK bands out there. Heavy songs mixed with a little bit of pop. Interesting stuff.
Galneryus - Awesome. Very much like European power metal. Their guitarist, Syu, is amazing. He's the main reason to listen. If you like Children of Bodom, but cant stand the vocals, then Galneryus is for you.
Gazette - If you like Dir en grey, then you'll probably like Gazette. They’re a little hit or miss, but they have a lot of good songs.
Gilgamesh - Just found these guys a little while ago. Much like D'espairsRay, but with a little nu metal flavor. Once again, not enough to ruin it.
Kagerou - Used to be a really cool band. Check out their early singles, not the full albums.
Kagrra - Really cool. Like a mix of traditional Japanese music and modern rock.
Phantasmagoria - More gothic metal. They're pretty new, so they still need some time to grow. High expectations, but they haven’t been met yet.
Scar. - One of my new favorites. Really heavy, but the singer could use some work. Other than that, they're great.

Someone mentioned HISKAREA a few posts back. They, along with Mar'derayla, were two bands I was keeping an eye on because I thought they had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, Kisaki decided to break up these bands to take members for his band Phantasmagoria. HISKAREA and Mar'derayla were both better than Phantasmagoria. What a shame.

Can't forget about Evil Morning! God I love the guy that puts these songs together. Takes Hello Project songs, takes out all the background music and replaces it with metal, but keeps the original vocals. What more could you ask for?

Baba Booey

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 05:59:53 PM »
Oh wow, more replies than I expected.  :lol:  Thanks for the HISKAREA samples, Ame, I'll check them out.

Quote from: BradVickers
You guys want some suggestions of newer jrock/vk bands (that aren't disbanded)?

Ah, DéspairsRay are awesome. [coll:set] is definitely one of my favorite releases of '05. I pretty much like every band you listed there, except for the ones I've never heard of - Anti-Feminism, Bang-Doll, CHUCKY, Cloud Nine.

One of my favorites of the "newer" bands are GLAMOROUS HONEY. I love their two releases so far.

Quote from: boykun

you know i like jrock.

but as for vk..
Sid!! シド!!

Hell yeah, Sid are love.  :lol:  Even though their latest releases have been disappointing. There's still Renai, though.

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2006, 06:15:13 PM »
everfree
You can get some of the Evil Morning stuff from the official site here: http://evilmorning.nsf.tc/remix/remix.html if there's any you want, but they don't have available for download, just tell me and I can send them to you.

Ayabie
[Coll:set] was really good. Could have done without those remixes, though. It's a rare occurrence that a vk band, who mostly puts out singles and mini's, has a full album that kicks ass (look at Kagerou). I saw them when they played in San Francisco. Couldn't move my neck for a week. Fun times.

I'd really suggest that you check out CHUCKY if you like the other bands I've listed. Love those guys; wish they would put out more material, though. Seems like they're on a hiatus.

Haven't heard of GLAMOROUS HONEY. Have to check them out.

Just so you know, Anti-Feminism isn't for everyone.
 :lol:

Baba Booey

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2006, 04:32:59 PM »
*bump*

Just so you know, Anti-Feminism isn't for everyone.  :lol:

In what way? Explicit lyrics?  :lol:  Because I can handle that.

Anyway, bumping this thread just because. I've been listening to lot of fra-froa lately. Amazing band.

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2006, 05:52:39 PM »
Hehe, I'll upload their full album and put it in my jrock download thread in the asshole. Maybe that'll give the thread some life.
Edit. Up here http://www.miumu.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2897&mforum=jpmx

Baba Booey

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
Haha, that was pretty interesting. Sucks that I couldn't pick up more than about 20% of what they were singing.  :lol: It was expected though, since you labeled them as 'punk/thrash'.

It was a nice listen, but they're nothing special in my opinion.

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2006, 08:34:56 PM »
That's about the reaction I expected. If KENZI (DEAD POP STARS) wasn't in the band I probably wouldn't like them that much.

Baba Booey

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »
Quote from: Ayabie
I've been listening to lot of fra-froa lately. Amazing band.

I agree. It's sad that they only made two albums.

I think the first album's better, it's so packed with raw emotion - especially on the vocals, Chisako is damn impressive. The second one had a cleaner sound and faster pacing which I didn't like as much, but it's still a really good album.

That reminds me I just got some live of theirs I haven't listened to yet...

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2006, 08:49:53 PM »
Same here, both of their albums are masterpieces, but Chuu no Fuchi is straight-up great.

Whoa, lives? The only visual media I've got by them is the PV for Aoijiro Tsuki. :o Oh by the way, I just noticed you have a last.fm. I went ahead and added you. :lol:

That's about the reaction I expected. If KENZI (DEAD POP STARS) wasn't in the band I probably wouldn't like them that much.

Haha, I know what you mean.  :lol: I'm pretty much "gay" for all of Takano Tetsu's work. Being biased is fun. lol

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2006, 09:06:54 PM »
Whoa, lives? The only visual media I've got by them is the PV for Aoijiro Tsuki. :o

I meant a live album, actually, but I do have 6 PV's, some live clips and a full concert dvd rip from 2004.

If you can BT, search jpopsuki tracker for 'fra-foa', there's still a bunch of stuff seeded. I can maybe upload some as well at some point.

Oh by the way, I just noticed you have a last.fm. I went ahead and added you. :lol:

Right back at ya.  8)

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2006, 07:53:23 PM »
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I had no idea about that live album.  :lol:

Anyway, for STRAIGHTENER fans, they're releasing a new album.  :D

Dear Deadman
2006.3.8 ON SALE NEW ALBUM
2,500-yen(tax in)
TOCT-25912

1 The Novemberist
2 Melodic Storm -DEAR EDIT-
3 Blue Sinks In Green
4 Dead Head Beat
5 Sad Code
6 The Remains -DEAD EDIT-
7 The Nowarist
8 Tornado Surfer
9 Discography
10 Farewell Dear Deadman

They're also going to tour, starting in May and ending in July. BLACK STAR LUSTER was an awesome DVD so I think I'll get this one, too.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2006, 10:39:17 PM »
straightener ftw! thanks for the heads up.

i still have yet to see black star luster  :wink:

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2006, 11:04:26 PM »
Well, I've ripped it, but I have yet to encode it.  :lol:

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2006, 04:38:49 AM »
http://warconent.com/news.php?id=28 Dir en grey US showcase tour dates
I might go to the one in NYC, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Baba Booey

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2006, 07:17:37 PM »
Their concerts are usually pretty cool so I think it'd be an experience.

I'd go if I had the money.... and lived in the states... and liked Dir en Grey in the first place.  :lol:

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2006, 10:20:52 AM »
Maybe I'll go see the hollywood one, I'm not really a fan of dir, but I heard they have a good live show.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2006, 11:33:27 AM »
we should meet up for the show >_>

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Believe or Doubt