JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Taetiseo - Holler

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 533919 times)

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2005, 11:37:27 PM »
And it's GAME OVER for Finland. Finns sucked as a team, there's no point  to blame Backstrom, Masa. :) He's the best goalie Finland could have. This was the worst finnish national team in a long time, that was proven already in matches against Sweden and Latvia.

Let's cheer for canadians now (because Switzerland lost to Sweden :( )
coot is ctz

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 08:45:16 AM »
Finland has no stars at all! Jani Rita? pssht.  Fuckin Slovaks had all these NHL guys. and Sweden is doinng wAAYY better without Tommy Salo :D

Vidarni!! Nice cheap shot. oohhh 10 minute misconduct. Gagne gets the goal ahead though.

/FUCK SATAN!! Dimitra! ARRGHHHH....5 on 3.

Fuckin Ziggy Palffy penalty shot..thank god brodeur came up huge.

FUCKK NASH got denied his 10th goal. Hossa with the beautiful feed to demitra>!! SHORT FUCKION HANDED!!

at least Smyth with a PP goal. Oh HEELLLL YEAH!! GAGNE got the equalizer!!

JOE THORNTON!!!!!!! SCORCHES ONE!! 5-4 lead. 2 minutes to go.

Ahh. yeah, my play by play from earlier this morning. Canada v Russia now. FUCKIN SCARY.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2005, 05:47:28 PM »
AW Canada was getting lazy after being up 4-0 this morning to the Russians. Alexandir Semin getting the JPM-XXX karma! and now it's 4-2  :evil:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2005, 07:59:28 PM »
:canada: THAT WAS TOO CLOSE for comfort man. Brodeur was solid but fuck, Canada got sloppy near the end. 4-3 WE WIN!!  :D

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2005, 08:02:42 PM »
And Canada won Russia 4-3. I forgot to watch this match, but luckily there's also Sweden - Czech tonight. I read today that swedes have already reserved Kings garden to celebrate their championship. I think they're assuming a bit too much, so I hope Czech wins and swedes have to leave Wien empty-handed :)
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2005, 12:41:31 AM »
They won, but they BLEW a 4-0 lead.  In the last 5 min or so of the 3rd period the Russians (on multiple occasions) came within a few feet/inches of tying up the game and sending it to OT.  Our boys need to really pick it up for the final.

Honestly, the best hockey team representing Canada at this very moment is the Manitoba Moose.  I've been following the AHL playoffs online and on TV (from what limited coverage that is provided), and these guys are totally kicking ass!!!  They just won their 2nd round playoff series by beating the team with the best regular season record in the AHL (Rochester)!!!  Being the only professional Canadian team  (not counting the boys playing for the World Championship) playing right now, I say these guys could potentially start getting the same type of support Calgary did during their recent Stanley Cup run. :canada::canada::canada:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2005, 07:04:52 PM »
So russians took the bronze. 6-3 was surprising though. I expected a more even match. Finland lost to Sweden 5-1, but was defeated by Russia only after penalty shots.

One hour till the Canada - Czech finale!
coot is ctz

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2005, 07:55:46 PM »
Yeah. The Swedes look like they just gave up!!

5 minutes until the Gold Medal game :canada: (ahh...hope it's not anti-JPM-XXX karma but whatever)

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2005, 10:27:03 PM »
As I write this, it's 2-0 Czechs with less than 10 minutes left in the third period.  Three-peat...highly doubtful.

EDIT:  That's it.  Czechs scored on our empty net with less than a minute to go.  Props to the Czechs, especially to Vokoun.  They totally whipped our assess today.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »
What a final. Vokoun played a great game. He wasn't that good when he played last season in Finland's league.  Canada ended up taking too many penalties in the third period. Canadians even warmed up a little in the end after Czech's third goal. Something you don't see so often i think.

Finnish TV commentator, Ville Nieminen (who plays in Calgary iirc), commented the fight at the end:

"Fat alberta boys are sore losers"

Quite rough... But maybe he was disappointed too :)
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2005, 12:27:46 AM »
Either that, or he was pissed off at that one shot in the crowd where it showed some Finnish guys (they had the Finnish flag makeup on their faces) cheering for Canada.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2005, 09:06:55 AM »
Aw ... fuck. Yeah it was disappointing. The Czech defense was just like all over  Canada as soon as  they made an attack. Good game though, LMFAO @ Ryan Smyth for just chopping chopping Fischer's feet. That's grit you hardly see nowadays.

And fuckin Ales Hemsky better play like he did in this tourney when the NHL gets back on track. :evil:

You Euros get the same IIHF footage right? Did ya notice that hot Czech brunette fanning herself? Perv cameramen! :D

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2005, 09:02:43 AM »
:fuckyou: Glenn Anderson doesn't get elected to the HOF AGAIN  :evil:

TORONTO -- Glenn Anderson should be an automatic choice for the Hockey Hall of Fame when the selection committee meets today, says his former coach Glen Sather.

"I don't even think there should be a debate about him," Sather said.

Anderson left the NHL in 1996 after scoring 498 regular-season goals and 93 playoff goals and earning six Stanley Cup rings, including five when Sather ran the Edmonton Oilers.

"I was there for most of his accomplishments and he's achieved many more huge results than guys that are in the Hall," said Sather, now general manager of the New York Rangers. "It kind of astounds me that every time I've seen his name mentioned that he hasn't been one of the guys who have been elected automatically."

Anderson, who was at his best in the post-season, has been passed over five times by the selection committee.

"He was the kind of player who, the bigger the game, the better he performed," Sather said during a break on the second day of a three-day NHL research camp yesterday. "Just based on his credentials in the playoffs alone I think he's a guy who really qualifies."

Current Oilers GM Kevin Lowe, who played defence on those championship Edmonton teams of the 1980s and who is also eligible for selection today, says the fact Anderson hasn't previously been selected "is a bit of a mystery" to him.

Anderson's Oilers teammates Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Paul Coffey and Grant Fuhr have been inducted, and Mark Messier will join them when he becomes eligible. So, why not Anderson?

"Those five guys, to a man, would say it's ridiculous that Anderson is not in the Hall because they all view him on the same level as themselves," said Lowe.

''When I sat in that dressing room with all those great players, when I looked around the room and we were in a big game, the one guy I thought would score the big goal was Anderson, and to his credit he did.

"Maybe, to his fault, a lot of the lesser games were less important to him. He would have scored 600 goals had they been. But anyone who has won championships recognized that Anderson was one of those big-game players. He has all the stats to support it."

and fuck shootouts. I've seen the AHL and Olympics, it ain't exciting.

WILL SHOOTOUTS BREAK TIES? Ties could be broken by shootouts after regular-season games whenever the NHL restarts.

"If they don't have a shootout, I'll be shocked," said New York Islanders GM Mike Milbury.

"That's an easy one. The fans want it, and it's the least we can do after spitting at them for the last 12 months."

"It sounds like most people want a definite outcome - a win or loss - one way or the other," Steve Tambellini, director of player personnel for the Vancouver Canucks said.

Shootouts would be used to decide a game if it remained tied after a five-minute overtime period.

SOURCE: http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2005/06/08/1076753-sun.html

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2005, 04:26:56 PM »
I totally agree on Anderson, he shoud've gotten into the Hall the first time he was eligible.

As for the shoot-outs, I feel they're a cheap way to win/lose a game.  Winning/Losing with regular play, knowing that every player gave their all, that's the proper way to do it.  When it's just one on one between a shooter and goalie, it's lame because all the onus is on one player per team.  It's stupid to put that kind of pressure on anyone.  If they have shootouts, wait until the playoffs come with the series tied at 3 games a piece.  The team that loses via shootout then (and more importantly, their fans), will scream bloody murder.   :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2005, 05:58:33 PM »
Quote from: TheQuickening
As for the shoot-outs, I feel they're a cheap way to win/lose a game.  Winning/Losing with regular play, knowing that every player gave their all, that's the proper way to do it.  When it's just one on one between a shooter and goalie, it's lame because all the onus is on one player per team.  It's stupid to put that kind of pressure on anyone.  If they have shootouts, wait until the playoffs come with the series tied at 3 games a piece.  The team that loses via shootout then (and more importantly, their fans), will scream bloody murder.   :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Have you guys seen shootouts during a game while at an actual game?  That's some tense ass shit I tell ya, and its awesome.  I agree that its a shitty way to lose, but its still a team effort when its a best of 5 from each side.  And shootouts never decide a playoff game - which is why they play sudden death overtime until there is a decisive winner.

So, I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys on this one.  Oh, and the thick ass blue lines like how they have in AHL are hella sweet.  As for those fucked up rounded nets, I'll have to wait until I see them in action before I judge them.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2005, 10:25:55 PM »
Hmm...I can smell the lockout ending? The Roadrunners are shipping out, though I think Calgary has their farm team in town now. As with Toronto.

Thoughts on Jeremy Roenick's "kiss my ass" comments!! The guy is the only true "character" in the league -- it's smart. not to be taken SO litereally, it gets the NHL in the news.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2005, 11:07:14 PM »
In a profanity-laced rant at a news conference for Mario Lemieux's charity golf tournament Saturday, Flyers center Jeremy Roenick ripped into fans who have been critical of the NHL Players' Association throughout the current NHL lockout.
"If people are going to sit and chastise pro athletes for being cocky, they need to look at one thing and that's the deal we're going to be signing in about three weeks,'' Roenick said. "Pro athletes are not cocky. Pro athletes care about the game. Everybody out there who calls us spoiled because we play a game, they can kiss my a--.

"I will say personally, to everybody who calls us spoiled, you guys are just jealous. We're trying to get this thing back on the ice and make it better for the fans. If you don't realize that, then don't come. We don't want you in the rink, we don't want you in the stadium, we don't want you to watch hockey.''

Roenick also reiterated previous comments from last week where he lamented the union's failure to reach a deal in mid-February, which would have salvaged some of the 2004-05 season and would likely have resulted in a better deal for the players in the new collective bargaining agreement. A new CBA is expected to be signed within the next two weeks, but the salary-cap numbers being talked about were higher in February.

"If we would have signed that deal in February, in terms of what we're getting now, we would have looked like heroes,'' Roenick said. "Right now we look like a bunch of idiots. The deal in February beats the (expletive) out of the deal we're gonna sign in July.''

Roenick did admit players were not active enough in the negotiating process when there was a chance to salvage the season.

"It's unfortunate we had to go through a whole year to realize the s--- that was going on,'' Roenick said. "We've hurt our league, we've hurt the reputation of our league and the integrity of our league by sticking up for something that might not have been the right thing to do.''

Last week, Roenick said he was debating if he would even return to the NHL when it comes back.

"I have to see how my body reacts to some really, really, really hard training regimen here coming up in the latter part of the summer," Roenick told Sporting News Radio. "It's very hard to get motivated without a deal. Once that announcement comes, I think the motivational factor will definitely be lifted.

"I have not 100 percent made my decision to play, but to tell you the truth, I have a lot of drive in me and really, really want to continue."

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2005, 01:29:04 PM »
^ He is loud mouthed, I watched the whole thing and he made some good points...and what Sports Center airs takes the whole shit outta context.

SMART though. JR never fails to get media attention and this might be actually good  for the NHL.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2005, 07:18:52 AM »
301 days later! THE LOCKOUT IS OVER!!!

so are you happy? do you care?

Me, I'm relieved. Just start playing right now!! I'm sick and tired of trying to get my hockey fix from the local pee wee league.

Been watching Sportscenter and listening to the radio over and over to see WTF is going on. Draft Lottery for Crosby? New caps? shitloads of the players are unrestricted free agents?

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
Official NHL Thread
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2005, 07:51:41 AM »
:lol:

You know what...I sorta miss it...just a little bit. Who knows, maybe these new rules will add more spice.

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Taetiseo - Holler