JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Coltemonikha - Sleeping Girl

Author Topic: Official NFL Thread  (Read 407160 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Re: Official NFL Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 06:01:43 AM »
According to the Sports Business Journal, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb has signed a deal with Electronic Arts to be the cover athlete for Madden NFL 06. This fits the theme of the new title, introducing a new passing system into the game that factors in a quarterback's vision and placement into each pass.
This is the third year in a row the Madden cover athlete has fit with the theme of the new game. In Madden NFL 2004, the game introduced Playmaker controls and EA went with the ultimate playmaker, Michael Vick, years before anyone even heard the name Ron Mexico. Last year, it was all about the defense, and EA signed Ray Lewis to be Madden's spokesman.
But with the title comes the supposed sports game cover curse. A curse that has seen Vick go down with injury, Roy Jones knocked out, Jason Giambi turn Balco, and can even be traced back to the days of Buster Douglas Knockout.

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 04:56:27 AM »
Quote from: THUNDERDUCK
No.  I hate both of those teams.  I'm like the Titans, but they're just doing bad recently.  I just hate the Cowboys, because I live here in Dallas and that's all I hear.  To be honest, I'm more of a college football fan.  The NFL is all business, while college ball is more of an intro to the biz.

I hear ya. You probably see and hear about the 'Boys all day, all year. I understand, because I hear about my cities teams constantly, and I hate them all too.
   Who do you think that the Titans are going to take? It's being projected that they take either Rodgers, or a CB like Rolle or Jones at number 6.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 05:45:00 AM »
I've been slacking lately on keeping up with the Draft this wknd.  I'll have to check out the fan boards and see.  They lost a lot of their good players to free agency if I remember correctly.  So, they're almost in a rebuilding stage.  Also McNair's health is always in the air.  He plays pretty good when banged up, but there is a limit to the amount of damage a man can take.

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2005, 05:52:02 AM »
yeah, the Titans got violated in free agency. They have holes everywhere. You're right Mcnair isn't going to play forever, not with the beating he takes week to week. Billy Volek isn't going to lead them to the Super Bowl.

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 09:05:13 PM »
Aaron Rodgers the other QB hasnt been picked yet. I thought he would be 2 or 3

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2005, 09:14:35 PM »
Oh yeah. The fuckin draft is on!? Wow. That's a shock.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2005, 05:55:27 AM »
TN got the Pac-Man, Dallas signed up 2 DE's

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2005, 08:19:16 AM »
I thought Ten would have taken Rolle instead. Jones has got some character issues, like being arrested, while Rolle's dad, and one of his brothers are policemen. I think his dad is actually the town sheriff. Rolle got arrested, but the charges were dropped.
  I am so glad that Dallas got Ware and Spears. I thought they might take Merriman at 11, but Ware is better in coverage. But getting Spears was key. Without him, they would not be able to play the 3-4 this year.

Offline street bastard

• Member+
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2005, 05:02:04 PM »
Aaron Rodgers was just a victim of the fact not too many teams needed a QB badly.

The Browns had a nice draft. Braylon Edwards is a solid player that can make big plays. And we were able to pick up local QB Charlie Fyre in the 3rd so the peeps here won't bitch and moan.

But how bout Mike Willams to Detroit! The Lions have a STRONG Wide Recieving corps. And Maurice Clarett going to Denver in the 3rd round.  :shock:

No flavor of the month this time at the Compound.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2005, 07:42:39 PM »
Really!!? That was a shocker Green Bay picked him up! also I'm pumped Philly picked up that USC DT, Patterson or whatever. :thumbsup

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2005, 12:20:50 AM »
I aggree that the Browns had a good draft, but with an ex-Raven asst. GM at the helm, you would expect that. Edwards was probably the most talented offensive player in the drat. They also got Pool and I was hoping the Cowboys would have a chance to get him. He was the only decent cover safety out this year. Looks like Romeo is going to have the Browns in a cover-2 this year.

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2005, 04:23:48 AM »
The winners of this years draft all seem to be in the NFC, or NFC East. The Cowboys, Eagles and Redskins are all being rated as having very good drafts. Along with the Dolphins and Vikings. I think the Vikes draft was average, as their two 1st rounders both have some issues (hands&routes, injuries). Green Bay was drafting for the future, and so were the Jets, so they both received low grades, as did the Seahawks, Rams and Lions

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2005, 05:37:36 AM »
I just heard that Ahman Green from the Packers was arrested for a domestic. Man the Packers are having a rough couple of days. They blow the draft, Green gets arrested...what's next Farve retires?

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 05:46:27 AM »
Well, since you asked me to post here...

I don't really follow football, except for when the Bills make it to the Superbowl and lose. Any chance of that happening again this year?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2005, 07:06:54 AM »
Maybe if they get someone really good for Travis Henry?? :D

Offline street bastard

• Member+
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2005, 02:31:08 AM »
Reports are saying Reuben Droughns wants to hold out because he isn't happy with the 2 years, 2 million left on his deal. He wants to restructure it.

I say fuck him. The Browns still have Lee Suggs and William Green. I'd tell him show up at camp or expect to sit on your ass for 2 years. Then let's see how much cash you can get after sitting out for 2 years. I hope the Browns play hardball with him and show him it's all about team.

No flavor of the month this time at the Compound.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2005, 04:36:59 AM »
Things would be so much better (especially the quality of the game), if contracts were structured so that the players were paid based on their performances.  Sorta like what they tried doing in the XFL, where everyone was paid a base salary, then the players who performed more/scored more/achieved certain goals ("x" number of completed passes/TD's scored/yards rushed, etc.) would literally EARN what they're paid.  If a player is injured and doesn't play, give them an version of "unemployment insurance" where they're paid, say, 70% of the base salary to help cover medical expenses and basic costs of living.  That's all they really need.  These "guaranteed contracts" these players get are completely fucking up professional sports in general.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2005, 05:00:06 AM »
Quote from: Asmodai
Well, since you asked me to post here...

I don't really follow football, except for when the Bills make it to the Superbowl and lose. Any chance of that happening again this year?

Well the Bills have a better chance this year, compared to any season in the past 5. All depends if their second year QB Losman holds up.

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2005, 05:02:34 AM »
Quote from: street bastard
Reports are saying Reuben Droughns wants to hold out because he isn't happy with the 2 years, 2 million left on his deal. He wants to restructure it.

I say fuck him. The Browns still have Lee Suggs and William Green. I'd tell him show up at camp or expect to sit on your ass for 2 years. Then let's see how much cash you can get after sitting out for 2 years. I hope the Browns play hardball with him and show him it's all about team.

I think the Browns are in good shape if Suggs stays healthy. They are trying pretty hard to get rid of Green. They were dangling him as trade bait before the draft, but no takers. I think Droughns will have to adjust to having a sub-par O-line though, compared to what he had in Denver.

Offline Chan Ho Nam

• Member+
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2005, 05:14:04 AM »
Quote from: TheQuickening
Things would be so much better (especially the quality of the game), if contracts were structured so that the players were paid based on their performances.  Sorta like what they tried doing in the XFL, where everyone was paid a base salary, then the players who performed more/scored more/achieved certain goals ("x" number of completed passes/TD's scored/yards rushed, etc.) would literally EARN what they're paid.  If a player is injured and doesn't play, give them an version of "unemployment insurance" where they're paid, say, 70% of the base salary to help cover medical expenses and basic costs of living.  That's all they really need.  These "guaranteed contracts" these players get are completely fucking up professional sports in general.

The problem now is that the players get these huge signing bonuses, or guaranteed money up front. Most of the contracts now are back loaded, the big numbers don't kick in until the last few years of a contract. If a guy signs a 10 year 130 million dollar contract, the important number is the signing bonus. That is the money paid up front. The first say 3-5 years of the contract, he only makes 1-3 million a season. At season 6, his salary goes up to say 10 million, and most likely he is cut, traded, or re-does his salary, to make it more workable under the salary cap. But most players know that they will not receive that 10 million a season salary. All they want is the guaranteed signing bonus. A guy (ex. Owens...the premier team wrecker/coach killer) is happy with his happy that his first season of his new contract, he makes 14 million (salary and signing bonus). In his second year he is making only 5.5 million or so(rest of his signing bonus and salary), and now he thinks he is underpaid. A performance based system would be so much better, but it will never happen in the NFL. Especially not with Steinburg, the Poston brothers, and Condon out there as agents.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Coltemonikha - Sleeping Girl