JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bandwagon - Book Ends

Author Topic: Official Sumo Thread  (Read 48378 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official Sumo Thread
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:56:52 AM »
The Official Sumo Thread

About time a Japanese-influenced forum had a thread like this. There's a tournament every other month, the first one's in Jan. Each tournament lasts for 15 days. So DISCUSS! :D

Links of use:
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/

diaper tidbits

• It's called Mawashi.
  • There's no colour rule since they wear their mawashis in every possible colour
  • There are tricks in wearing mawashi too: some make it a bit loose, so it'll be harder for their opponents to throw them. So wear it so tight and even soak it with water so it'll be hard for their opponent to put their hands in it. And if it totally falls off? They'll lose.
Well, here's also a place to post funny sumo pictures like these:

thx tama-chan for the info. the thread is finally made :P

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 10:22:24 AM »
You couldn't make me start the thread, so you started it yourself, eh? :D  Anyway, thanks! It'll be my personal postwhore thread or something. :lol:

I haven't been watching sumo for that long, but this basho was thebest basho I've ever watched. It was all kinda surreal...and fairy-tale like somewhat. There was a face-off, the yokozuna won, the kid got his promotion, one ozeki kept his career, another ozeki kept his yokozuna promotion hope alive, the audience was pleased and they lived happily ever after. :D

Can't wait till the day Hakuho become a yokozuna.

And thanks, daigong, for the buttcrack pic. -"-

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 10:53:07 AM »
You're welcome :D

I looked at other music forums and HAY!! jpop.com advertised "Talk about the ...Sumo, Japanese Pro Baseball and more!" but there was no Sumo thread! WE WIN! :lol:

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
I will blab...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 11:29:17 AM »
I shall discuss.  I've been watching sumo since forever and I gotta agree that this basho WAS the most interesting and relevant in quite some time.  

I was a little surprised by Asashoryu's senshuraku loss to Tochiazuma.  Some other people on other message boards/mailing lists are crying yaocho but..   ahh, I dunno.  I'm not one for conspiracy theories.

Interesting fact: both makunouchi and juryo went without a single kyujo, first time since 1993 -- the heydey of the Ake-Taka jidai.

Kaio lives for another basho -- another survivor of the Ake-Waka-Taka days.  

Oh, I met Hatachiyama Oyakata (ex-ozeki Hokutenyu) last month at a restaurant here in Honolulu.  Cool guy, was vacationing with his wife.  I found out a few days ago that he had a minor stroke in the middle of the basho and had to withdrawal from judging duties.  Hakurozan is in his stable.

And Hakuho...  he'll be a yokozuna barring injury.  He had that Vulcan-like niramiai that harkened to Takanohana, I swear.  His tachiai, his rock-solid yori attack, blah blah.  And he's not as sore a loser as Asashoryu.

I should look for a Chiyonofuji tape I dubbed from a rental store and rip it.  Sumo's not all flabby pusher/thrusters.

More to come.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 12:16:10 PM »
Hey sumo-fans, wanna explain some words to me?

basho? kyujo? yaocho? niramiai? senshuraku?
coot is ctz

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:47:55 PM »
Ack sorry, I didn't think this was the "Sumo 101" thread.

I'm too lazy to post basic info about the sport.  There must be volumes of resources online but I never bothered to collect links.  

As for the "advanced" terms I used:

Basho = tournament.  Six every year.

Kyujo = absence from tournament, due to injury/illness.

Yaocho = fixed match.  Closest thing to profanity in ozumo.

Niramiai = stare down at the face off.  

Senshuraku = final day of the tournament.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 10:57:45 AM »
Natsu Basho is now in progress, Day Two.  The Kokugikan in Tokyo doesn't look packed.  Not a good sign considering the fan enthusiasm in the previous basho.

Kaio got shoved down by ex-Ozeki Miyabiyama.  Chiyotaikai still has his hataki down pat.  Shin-Ozeki Hakuho is strong and steady as ever.  Kotooshu just beat shin-Komusubi Ama.  And Tochiazuma, tsunatori for the umpteenth time, was upset by maegashira Kotoshogiku.

In the final match, Asashoryu lost his footing at the edge and was thrust down by Wakanosato.  Kinboshi for Waka, his second!

Offline Dronak

• ecchi
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:42:35 AM »
Quote from: daigong
Links of use:
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/

Here are some others that I've found useful, at least from time to time.
I have some more links around, but I forget exactly what they contain since I don't use them that much.  The sumo movies site is pretty handy if you don't have any other way to watch sumo.  There is supposed to be a live video stream available from the official site (I think), but I've never watched it because I'd have to be awake at something like 4am my time to see it.  If you're closer to Japan, with a smaller time difference, the live feed may be a better option.

Quote from: daigong
  • There's no colour rule since they wear their mawashis in every possible colour

Actually, I think there is a rule, but it's more in the sense of lower ranked rikishi not being allowed to wear colored mawashi.  Unfortunately, I forget the details, but you can probably web search for some more information on this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:44:53 AM by Dronak »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:02:47 AM »

Asashoryu suffered ligament damage to his right elbow as he fell off the dohyo in yesterday's loss to Wakanosato.  He will withdraw from the tournament as of today, giving everybody in makunouchi a chance for the yusho.

Tochiazuma also lost yesterday and MUST go undefeated for the rest of the week if he wants to keep his tsuna hopes alive.
________

btw...  there actually IS a written rule against mawashi being any color other than black or dark brown.  However, it's one rule that is happily ignored by the NSK.

Offline chocolate

• Covered Rika
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 11:07:32 PM »
I heard it may take at least 2 months for Asashoryu to recover. So now there is a chance for Hakuho and Europeans to win Emperor's Cup.

I can watch the tournaments normally 2-4 weeks afterwards 1-2 a.m. My favorite has been always Kaio but I liked also Hawaiians but now they are gone. I just watched tv-program about Kotooshu and some other sumo wrestlers. They were eating and bathing near Fuji. He seems to be very poupular nowdays. Also I like him more and more.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 01:02:44 AM »
Quote from: chocolate
I heard it may take at least 2 months for Asashoryu to recover. So now there is a chance for Hakuho and Europeans to win Emperor's Cup.

I think Hakuho (4-0) is primed to go for yokozuna right now, since Asashoryu is kaput.  There has never been a shin-ozeki who won back-to-back yusho and clinch promotion to the top rank after only two basho.  Hakuho has an excellent opportunity to make history.  I think he has better than a 50-50 chance, with only injury, the return of Asa in July, and bad luck holding him back,

Tochiazuma obviously shares the same nerves of tin as his ozeki bretheren.  Two losses to hiramaku rikishi looks VERY bad to JSA officials, especially Kitanoumi riji-cho, whose standards for yokozuna promotion may be the harshest of anyone in sumo.

Offline chocolate

• Covered Rika
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 08:38:39 PM »
This really could be a chance for Hakuho althought today he lost. I heard Kotooshu haven't had time to train as he is on television too much.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 12:43:09 AM »

Wow, helluva effort by Miyabiyama here.  I always thought his ozeki promotion was a fluke of circumstances and was actually glad to see him demoted from the rank.  He's on a roll and may be setting himself up for promotion in July.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 10:46:12 AM »

Chiyotaikai leads the pack at 7-0.  However, he has a VERY BAD habit of using pulling and hataki techniques.  I'm amazed he got the win yesterday against Kisenosato.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 06:00:06 PM »
I totally forgot about this thread.

This basho has been much more exciting that I have expected. When Asashoryu and Tochiazuma went kyujo, I was feeling sorry for myself for paying for NHK this month. :lol:

Hakuho vs. Baruto tomorrow... I fear for Hakuho. Baruto is so strong, it's scary. :p

Is there a chance Asasekiryu will win some kind of award this basho?

Offline chocolate

• Covered Rika
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 09:35:01 PM »
That Estonian Baruto has been so wonderful...he is first time in makuuchi division and already fight for Emperor's Cup. It will be interesting as Hakuho will will take on Baruto on last day.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 10:32:23 PM by chocolate »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 11:38:34 PM »

Baruto went for hiki/hataki against Miyabiyama and got thumped, oshitaoshi.

Miyabiyama is going for the upset yusho!

Offline chocolate

• Covered Rika
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 06:03:23 PM »
Hakuho won :)  and he may get also yokozuna promotion if he wins also next time. I don't know how Miyabiyama is all of sudden so good... it's really surprising. Maybe his father is still in hospital and he wanted to give his best effort. It was really interesting first time for a long time as Asashoryu was ill.
Also I seem to already miss that wacky guy Takamisakari.:P

Offline tetsu

• ecchi
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 06:13:03 PM »
Cool theres thread about sumo too,i watch the sumo on nhk channel sometimes,i do follow the tournament but not everyday,as me too suprise how good miyabiyama win record is.
last tournament Anma got better record than this tournament though,i'll support for the smaller guy of course,he even beat a big guy like kotohoshu,then again because of kotohoshu injured ankle cost him to lose.

Offline tivx

• Beauty To My Ai's
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 07:29:48 PM »
saw this gif and had to share it with you guys

badass huh :)

R.I.P. Kyle, already missing you man.........

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bandwagon - Book Ends