JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Viyuden - Nannimo Iwazu ni I LOVE YOU

Author Topic: Official Sumo Thread  (Read 48375 times)

Offline tetsu

• ecchi
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 11:52:43 AM »
LOL badass indeed,i laugh at the angels wing.

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 08:53:53 PM »
:( :( :( I've gotten so out of touch with sumo since they stopped airing it on the local international channel. Last I saw, it was still in the days when Takanohana, Wakanohana, and Akebono were still going at it...
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
ex-Hokutenyu dead at 45
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 12:40:09 AM »
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060623/kyodo/d8idvp680.html
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/top/sp200606/sp2006062401.html

ex-ozeki Hokutenyu (now Hatachiyama Oyakata) died yesterday of cancer at a young 45 years of age.  His career paralleled that of the great Chiyonofuji but he was never able to get past ozeki, peaking in the mid-1980s.

I met him in late February when he was vacationing here in Hawaii.  He was dining with his wife and he was gracious enough to take a picture and share some of his time.  His untimely death is indeed a shock to me and fans of ozumo.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 02:25:23 PM »
WHOA! What was up with Roho today? What's with the glaring? And no bow? And according to Yahoo news, he hit a cameraman and broke a glass in the bathroom or something. I wonder what Chiyotaikai said to him. People say it was "Daijoubu?" but doesn't look so to me. : /

Well, at least he didn't headbutt Taikai. :p

Today's Roho-Chiyotaikai bout

Offline chocolate

• Covered Rika
  • Member+
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »
He looks always so mean with his bad skin but something really odd happened...maybe he had eaten too much anabolic steroids.

Just before he attacked cameraman.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2006, 08:03:16 PM »
I've seen, in many a honbasho:

Hair pulling,
long extended niramiai,
a lot of rikishi NOT bowing after the match.

I have NEVER seen trash talk outside the dohyo, post bout.  That was weird but no punches were thrown, at least.  Both of them should be reprimanded.

In July 1987 (you can look it up), Konishiki shoving a fellow ozeki after defeating him in a match.  Just an extra shove just after the match was over.  I don't recall anyone being scolded.

As for Roho's locker room tirade, that's different.  Sure doesn't show gaijin rikishi in a good light.  His old shisho, Taiho (one of sumo's ALL-time great yokozuna) should come out and kick his ass.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006, 10:02:38 AM »
Roho got suspended for a few days of the basho, which is VERY rare.  Only time that happens is if the NSK is VERY pissed off.

Funny thing is that his brother, Hakurozan, faces Chiyotaikai today...

btw, I got the live streaming feed working now.  Yesterday I couldn't logon cause all the available streaming slots were filled (the Sumo Kyokai is pretty cheap).

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »
WHOA!! A match fixing scandal has rocked the land!

Just when sumo's biggest star was set to assume his place among the sport's all-time greats a scandal has surfaced to knock him off his game.

Mongolian Asashoryu, whose real name is Dolgorsuren Dagvadorj, won his 20th Emperor's Cup in January, putting the 26-year-old on pace to become one of the most dominant wrestlers in the history of Japan's ancient sport.

But now he's being accused of cheating.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/article.jsp?content=20070208_155633_5412

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 09:02:22 AM »
From the translation of the article (that accused him) that I read, supposedly, he's bought everyone in makuuchi except for like 5-6 of them. That's just ridiculous to me.

He's not gonna sue them himself now, I think. The kyokai is gonna do it.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 09:18:11 AM »
Well, at least he's not on the juice!

There's something smooth and familiar with conspiracy theories that inevitably fall of their own weight.  They've been talking 'bout yaocho for DECADES, believe me.  Yeah some people let up every now and then but the notion that sumo operates on the same level as, say, a Hulk Hogan exhibition is false.

I might also add that sumo is at an all-time low in popularity.  Hell even I can't watch the matches anymore cause nobody's broadcasting it -- and I live on the same damn place where Akebono, Konishiki and Musashimaru were raised.  If they're going to fix things they better make it so there's less empty seats during the hon-basho.

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:03 PM »
No wonder I can't get any sumo broadcasts over here in California if they aren't even being shown in Hawaii.  It's literally been years since I've seen it on TV over here.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 06:07:16 AM »
Well, it IS being shown technically but on pay cable only (TV Japan transmission).

I honestly have NO idea why the sumo kyokai organized that kouen to Honolulu this year...

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 07:00:19 AM »

something about a make a baby cry contest  ;D

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »
That looks brutal.  And to think that it's good luck for a baby to be held by a rikishi...

Anyway, I read online that Ozeki Tochiazuma announced his retirement yesterday due to serious health issues (heart related).  Hard to believe that he's already THIRTY -- time flies, indeed!  Not too long ago he was the number-one Nihonjin Yokozuna candidate.

He'll take over daddy's Tamanoi heya in a couple years.  Best of luck to him.

Offline jimmydotnet

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • proud to be malaysian
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 03:13:15 PM »
in malaysian...there is a comedy film introducing sumo....might as well help to promote sumo among chubby citizen!!

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 05:47:48 PM »
Ooh! I didn't know that (about Tochi). Otsu!

So, will Toyonoshima be able to compete in this basho? (in case you haven't heard, it was Asashoryu again lol.)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 06:14:16 PM »
I didn't read about the specifics, only the headline about Asashoryu putting yet ANOTHER rikishi in the hospital due to overagressive keiko.

I am split about the Mongolian Monster.  He could hit 30 yusho if he's healthy but these bullying tactics and arrogant behavior in the dohyo are annoying and disgraceful.  I don't know how he gets away with this shit.  I read there's an unwritten ban on gaijin from Hawaii but when did you ever hear about Akebono or Musashimaru being charged with truly bad behavior?  OK Akebono was drunk in public once and had an affair with an gal in AV.  Whoopie, we should all be as lucky...

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 06:32:01 PM »
Could it be that he got away with shit like this coz he's the only yokozuna? :/  So they don't want to punish him or anything. Until anyone steps up...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 08:33:18 PM »
Until anyone steps up...

Yep that was supposed to be the just-departed Tochiazuma.  Or Kaio.  Or Chiyotaikai.  Sheesh even Hakuho may flake out (although his new bride is a babe).  So it goes...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2007, 10:54:56 PM »

The mighty Asashoryu loses to...  Aminishiki?!!

Hakuho remains undefeated (10-0).  Mongolian yokozuna #2, anyone?

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Viyuden - Nannimo Iwazu ni I LOVE YOU