JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Acidman - Hibikari

Author Topic: LET'S ROCK!! Georges Laraque Thread!  (Read 24458 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
LET'S ROCK!! Georges Laraque Thread!
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:15:19 AM »
Welcome to The Official Georges Laraque Thread!

This thread is dedicated to the toughest player in the NHL. He is a class act and always has time for his fans and local charities. Thanks for 9 great seasons in Edmonton Oilers copper and blue Georges!! Keep beating up bitches as a Phoenix Coyote whenever The Great One Wayne Gretzky gives u the tap on the shoulder!! LET'S ROCK!!

Profile:

Position    Left/Right Wing
Shoots    Right
Height 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)
Weight    243 lb (110 kg)
Nationality: Canada
Born:    December 7, 1976, Montreal, QC, CAN
NHL Draft: 31st overall, 1995 by the Edmonton Oilers

Born in Montreal, it was natural for Laraque to enter the QMJHL, where he played for a variety of teams, generally as a power forward. In 173 games at the junior level, Laraque stockpiled 107 points and an even more impressive 661 penalty minutes. Georges was a member of the 1996 Granby Prédateurs team which won the Memorial Cup.

After finishing junior, Laraque spent parts of three seasons with Edmonton's American Hockey League affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs.

He was unanimously awarded the 'Best Fighter' award from The Hockey News in 2003.

Got a good Georges Laraque moment? Post it!

Links

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/110
http://www.laraque27.com/
http://www.georgeslaraque.com/

PIX

Every time he scores a goal, he runs to the corner at the side of the goal and "jumps the glass" it's his trademark goal celebration move.

He is one of the few minorities in the NHL. At one time, the Oilers had the most blacks on one team (3). Here we see a group of pioneers like Grant Fuhr and Willie O'Ree with a current group of black NHL players.

His Fights:

Pumping the crowd up after whoopin ass

Dominating in the 2006 run for The Stanley Cup

Scoring against the Ducks

Final Game as an Oiler

wallpaper:

Video:

Juniors
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vARLqN6Xi9I[/yt]

vs Calgary Flames Chris Simon
[youtube=425,350]z94-qEPtiLM[/youtube]

Watch Georges Laraque - He jumps the glass for the fans! He promised a cup! (camera action by daigong)
[youtube=425,350]rerUzFvDcTQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 10:40:52 PM by daigong »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 07:45:56 AM »
Dude looks like KRS-One:

More videos:

Bob Probert crowns Laraque the toughest in the NHL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czvVrvbt15Q&search=%20Georges%20Laraque%20

George Laraque hammers Sami Helenius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQFjvXgtRgs&search=%20Georges%20Laraque%20

Helenius got beat up so badly that he had to leave NHL. Dude came back to Finland and he has been worse than ever (three years, three teams). All thanks to Georges "KRS-One" Laraque.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 08:14:27 AM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:52:14 PM »
:lmao: you have a point

I MET HIM IN THE FLESH AT 8:30 AM MST!!!!!!!!!! I shook his hand! He said "aaiiii can't believe I'm leaving"

Photos coming shortly.

ETA:

He's STILL there. signing 4 hours later, it's nearly 1:38 PM MST!!

signing evey last autograph!! Goodbye! Goodluck! Here is Photos. *clicky*

I thanked him for the time here, how he repped minorities. then asked him to pose for a pic like he was gonna beat me up. :lol:

ETA2:

Final count: 1700 people, raised 3000 bucks for his fave charity too. Till nearly 6 PM! :shock:

When he comes to town, October 23rd...everyone should give him a standing O.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 02:26:47 AM by daigong »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »
NEW GEORGES!

Laraque relishes his return home

David Vest
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 23, 2006 10:22 PM

EDMONTON, Alberta - Right wing Georges Laraque couldn't wait to get inside Rexall Place on Monday, but the former Oilers fan favorite does not regret leaving Edmonton to play for the Coyotes.

"I wanted a change," Laraque said after Monday's morning skate. "After nine years with one team, you want a chance to see what you can do with other teams. I don't regret my decision. I'd been here long enough."

Laraque was back in the lineup after a one-game benching for what coach Wayne Gretzky described as the enforcer's reluctance to "physically engage" opponents in the first six games.

Reporters and camera operators swarmed Laraque after the morning skate to ask him how it felt to be home.

"I love the guys on the (Coyotes), and we've bonded well together," Laraque said, " . . . but Edmonton will always be home."

Laraque was the first player on the ice at the morning skate.

"I wanted to look around and see the flag they put up for us," said Laraque, who helped the Oilers win the Western Conference title last season. "There are a lot of memories. I couldn't wait to get back here."

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 02:25:46 AM »
Your fandom for Mr Laraque somehow rivals that of Ishikawa Rika's sweet booty - and I find it hilarious.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 08:17:47 AM »
Quote from: Kuno_Thunder;221172
Your fandom for Mr Laraque somehow rivals that of Ishikawa Rika's sweet booty - and I find it hilarious.

Yep. Him and Shaq rank up there. I'm like following his 4 minutes a night career in Phoenix in the soon to be Jobbing.com Arean. He beat the shit outta a Flame the other nite too.

D'oh and the links are down. My efforts are wasted.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »
GEORGES SCORED HIS FIRST GOAL OF THE SEASON!!

After a benching last week, typical Georges bursting in outta the corner with chumps draped on him as he beat the Oilers Jussi Markkanen :doh:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: LET'S ROCK!! Georges Laraque Thread!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 08:09:22 PM »
Georges speaks the truth man. Having an exodus of players leave last season HURTS. I really wished the Oilers at least offered him something instead of just throwing him away like that.

Laraque livin' large in E-town :shock:
Edmonton's biggest booster suggests Oilers may have to overpay to draw free agents

John MacKinnon
The Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Some NHL stars flounder in the supposed "fish bowl" that is Edmonton, but the water here still feels mighty fine to ex-Oilers tough guy Georges Laraque, who returned Saturday to summer and socialize in his adopted home.

Not only that, his dad, Edy, who happily fled snowy Montreal years ago for Miami, Fla., has up and moved here, too. And full time, to boot.

"That is even more ironic," Laraque said in a telephone interview Monday. "He told (us) kids that when they were old enough they'd all move to Florida because he was sick of the snow.

"That's why for him to (move) to Edmonton is unreal. Nobody can believe it. My dad's an Edmontonian, it's the funniest thing."

Turns out Edy, who lived for years in Miami where he worked renovating condos and selling them, met a vacationing Edmonton woman on the beach. As is so often the way with these Miami Beach romances, love blossomed, Edy and Aileen were married about a year later and opted to move north, way north.

And why wouldn't Edy Laraque love Edmonton? His son raves about the place.

"People are genuinely nice, the city is developing nicely," Georges Laraque said. "In the summer there's not too many places like this.

"It's not too busy like Toronto or Montreal, where it's hectic and if you go downtown it's almost like New York City. Here it's perfect."

So, it's not a fish bowl where you're the constant target of staring eyes everywhere you go, as ex-Oilers defenceman Chris Pronger told reporters on the weekend in Anaheim?

"People are respectful," Laraque said. "Obviously it (public attention) comes with the job, wherever you are. In Canada, there's a little bit more.

"When you're nice to people, they're nice to you. People say, 'Hi' and I'll say 'Hi.' Who cares? It's the least we could do. Those fans, they pay our salary. So I really don't mind it. How can you get mad at someone that wants to come and talk to you?"

"What, you're going to tell a fan off, but when playoff time comes, you want him to come and scream his heart out until he has no (voice)?" added Laraque.

"You've got to do something for them, you know what I mean?"

Laraque, as is well known here, gives plenty of his time to the fans, to charities and to worthy causes.

For example, he will be participating in the Edmonton Journal Little Big Run, a mass participation walk and run event on June 3 to promote physical activity and better health.

"I told (organizers) they didn't have to sell me on it, I thought it was a great idea to get people active," Laraque said. "The fact that you can get your whole family out there and go for a little walk or a little run or whatever instead of staying inside, I thought it was a great idea.

"Kids stay home and play with their PlayStation too much."

When Laraque is home for the summer, he gets out and around as few people do, let alone pro athletes.

Last summer, of course, he signed as a free agent with Phoenix, but was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins at the March 7 trade deadline. Laraque reinforced that the Oilers have obvious issues when it comes to signing free agents to rebuild their roster this off-season.

"No. 1, everybody knows that they have the worst schedule in the NHL in terms of travelling, that's a fact," said Laraque.

He noted that many unrestricted free agents are 30-somethings for whom wear and tear on the body is a key issue, making the easier travel schedule in the east hugely attractive.

"And No. 2, after what happened with (Jaroslav) Spacek, (Michael) Peca, Pronger and Ryan Smyth, they put themselves in a tough situation to sign unrestricted free agents because of that," Laraque said.

NHL players talk, Laraque said. And when a cluster leaves a city like Edmonton all at once, they wonder what's going on. Players who leave on dodgy terms could potentially spread poisonous chatter about Edmonton.

"That's why you never burn your bridges," Laraque said. "All I'm saying is they put themselves in a tough situation to get unrestricted free-agents. So what they're going to have to do is overpay to get them.

"I'm not putting the team down. I was there for nine years and it was the best nine years of my life. Obviously, playing with them is the reason why I made Edmonton my home."

And there is plenty of irony in George's choosing Edmonton as his home.

Now a Penguin, based south of the border all fall and winter, Laraque remains a splendid ambassador for the good life in Edmonton in the good ol' summertime.

SOURCE: http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=05da09db-5c5f-4323-9e4f-1bc3eed22420&k=67703

GEORGES!! RE-SIGN!! WE MISS YOU!!! Fuckin watching Moreau Staios and Jason Smith feebily try to take runs at heavyweights TOGETHER. Hemsky and Stoll getting their clocks cleaned like their name was Oscar De La Hoya. Hope to stalk ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR see him at that fun run.

he was on the local radio station The Team 1260 and sounded off on MacT:

- MacT on many occasions gave him the red light

- MacT, after telling Laraque not to fight, benched Laraque for an entire game after Laraque fought Peters

- Laraque would love to finish his career as an Oiler as long as MacT is not the coach

source: some chump on the Oilers board and me listening to the radio

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 10:39:08 PM »
How 'bout Big Georges protecting Sid The kid!? Look at his cornrows XD

Watch this inspiring video, about how Georges overcame racial stereotypes and followed Jackie Robinson's path to glory:
Georges Laraque - The Story
[youtube=425,350]QbSOd5P8g2A[/youtube]

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:38:14 AM »
Georges looking good in Habs threads! KICKING THE SHIT OUTTA Scott Thornton 10-15-2008 debut:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »
cuz you need HQ

Offline oragami33

• ecchi
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 12:36:48 AM »
He's can not only throw down, but he's honorable too

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 04:19:52 AM »
Say it ain't so GEORGES! Joining PETA wtf

Habs tough guy joins fight for better treatment of animals

"He's targeted June 1 as Day One of his vegetarian life."
 By MIKE BOONE, The GazetteMay 25, 2009

Laraque: "DVD opens your eyes."
Photograph by: GETTY IMAGES, The GazetteI don't want to blow his cred as a National Hockey League tough guy, but there's a sensitive side to Georges Laraque.

Generally recognized as the heavyweight champion of the NHL - in 700 regular season and playoff games, he has scored 56 goals and served 1,166 minutes in penalties - the Canadiens' forward has joined the fight for more humane treatment of animals. Laraque was among the protesters when the North American Fur & Fashion Exposition was held here early this month.

I did not attend the demo and would not have known about its celebrity participant except for a photo that surfaced on the Internet. Pictured are Laraque, wearing a People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals T-shirt, and a woman holding a placard on which a photo of a butchered baby seal bears the caption "Your Fur Had a Face."

The woman is my daughter. She is active in the animal rights' movement, a political commitment of which I am immensely proud.

"Georges Laraque is a great guy," my daughter reported. "He's becoming a vegetarian. You should talk to him about it."

I reached Laraque on his cellphone last week and asked what was up.

"I saw a video called Earthlings," Laraque said. "It shows the way animals are mistreated by humans."

Narrated by Joaquin Phoenix with an original musical score by Moby, Earthlings is, as Laraque says, a powerful indictment of human cruelty toward the species that share this planet (thus the title).

"(Earthlings) shows slaughterhouses where animals suffer," Laraque said. "They're not even killed in a way that would prevent them from feeling pain."

There's an old joke in the parliamentary press gallery that anyone who enjoys sausages and respects the law shouldn't watch either being made. Earthlings shows what happens several stages before sausages are prepared.

Hidden cameras were used to capture stomach-turning footage. You don't have to be sentimental about animals to be horrified by what happens to them before they end up on our dinner plates.

And it's not just the food industry.

"The movie shows how they use 60 animals to make a fur coat," Laraque said. "And then they're thrown in the garbage.

"There's so many cruelties to animals. The DVD really opens your eyes."

You can watch Earthlings on Google Videos. DVDs can also be ordered from www.earthlings.com, which is how Laraque got his copy.

Earthlings is not easy viewing. But it's a well-crafted and very provocative documentary that, at minimum, will give you pause to consider what you put in your mouth or on your back during winter.

One of the most shocking segments, for Laraque, was Earthlings' exposé of how circus animals are trained.

"Starving them, whipping them," Laraque said. "You never think about what they must do to an elephant to make it sit on a stool.

"We take our kids to the circus to see animals who have gone through so much pain to become entertainment. Children love animals and have no idea they're mistreated this badly."

Children, at least those who follow hockey, love Georges Laraque. He has been immensely popular during an NHL odyssey that has taken him from Edmonton to Phoenix to Pittsburgh before signing a three-year contract with the Canadiens last summer.

Everywhere he has played, Laraque has been active in the community. Yesterday, he was playing indoor soccer in Brossard. Today, it's wheelchair hockey at Joseph Charbonneau high school in Villeray.

For a guy who makes his living pounding on opponents, Laraque is a big, kid-friendly teddy bear away from the rink. The key adjective is big: Laraque carries about 250 pounds on his 6-foot, 3-inch frame.

It will be interesting to see whether the champ can remain a heavyweight on a diet of tofu. Laraque had an appointment with a diet consultant last week. He has targeted June 1 as Day One of his vegetarian life.

I asked whether he'd be able to do his job if vegetarianism got him down to 220 pounds.

"The last time I was 220," Laraque said, "I was 17 years old. I'll just be healthier and happier."

On the web: www.earthlings.com, www.georgeslaraque.com

mboone@thegazette.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

SOURCE: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sports/Habs+tough+joins+fight+better+treatment+animals/1626608/story.html

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
ROFL Laraque!!! Much controversy. WHO CARES!!

http://yacast.dailymotion.com/video/xan04a_georges-laraque-vs-octane-girls?from=rss

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐

Georges is a PIMP!  :pimp:

ETA:

fixed link :tama:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 05:44:25 AM by daigong »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 11:00:41 AM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 09:28:21 AM »
Come back to the Oilers GEORGES!! Do it Steve!!

CANADIENS TO PART WAYS WITH WINGER LARAQUE

Georges Laraque will not play another game with the Montreal Canadiens.

General manager Bob Gainey contacted him Thursday morning and told him that head coach Jacques Martin didn't have any confidence in him anymore and the team believes they can win without the enforcer in the lineup. The club will pay his salary for the rest of the season and will buy out the rest of his contract at the end of the 2009-10 campaign.

"I don't have anything personal against Georges and I appreciate what he did for the organization, but we've decided to go in a different direction," Martin told reporters following Canadiens practice Thursday.

"It's a hockey decision.  We felt that he was not helping our team to win games."

Laraque, who told TSN he was on his way to practice in the morning when he received the call to meet with Gainey, insists he's been a good team player and said there were no issues with the team or Martin, whom he believed was behind the decision.

"Jacques Martin doesn't like me and doesn't believe in toughness," Laraque told TSN.

Martin disputed the notion that he doesn't believe in toughness but admitted that he did not think that a team needed an enforcer to be successful.

"The Red Wings, I don't think they have an enforcer and they've won some Cups," said Martin.  "I think it depends on your team and where you are at in your development.  The game has changed and speed has become a major factor.  It's nice to have, but it's not a necessity as some teams have proven."

Laraque added that Martin never shared any concerns directly with him and is furious with the Canadiens' approach based on the emotional issues he's dealing with following the devastating earthquake in Haiti and the impact this disaster has had on both him and his family.

"To do this in the midst of all I'm dealing with in Haiti, the timing is awful," Laraque said angrily.

Laraque followed up the initial conversation after cooling down in an effort to put his frustration into context.

"I was very emotional and I'm very hurt by this decision.  I'm a proud guy and I may have let my emotions get the better of me," Laraque told TSN.

"Needless to say, I'm very disappointed."

Laraque, a Montreal native, signed a three-year, $4.5 million contract in July of 2008 and has one year remaining on his deal.

A lingering back injury limited him to just 61 games with the Canadiens over the last two seasons, as he tallied just five points and 89 penalty minutes. Laraque scored his first and only goal with the Canadiens last week in a game against the Dallas Stars.

Laraque's teammates admitted the move caught them completely by surprise.

"It was nothing that anyone saw coming," admitted Brian Gionta.  "We walked in this morning and found out about it."

While his teammates were surprised to see him go, they don't believe that other teams will be able to take liberties with the Habs now that they no longer have a team enforcer.

"I think that we have enough guys that will stand up for each other if push comes to shove that are willing to go to war for each other," Josh Gorges stated.  "Guys that are willing to put their bodies on the line and stick up for each other.  It doesn't have to be an enforcer like Georges but anybody that's willing to stick up for their teammates and that's all you really need."

While Laraque was well liked in the dressing room, his dismissal came down to a single factor.

"It's all about winning and they're trying to put a winning team together," said Glen Metropolit.  "If (management) feel like there is a weak link in the chain they are going to get rid of it."

SOURCE: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=307080

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2010, 07:48:34 AM »
I dedicate my 27K to the player the Oilers should bring back!!!

Big Georges giving back to the community! :shakeit:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
I dedicate my 27K to the player the Oilers should bring back!!!
Congrats, homie! :twothumbs

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 12:51:28 AM »
^ Props homie! If you can, check out this:

ST-PIERRE AND LARAQUE TO FACE OFF IN GRAPPLING MATCH ON OTR

UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and former Montreal Canadiens forward Georges Laraque appeared on Off the Record with Michael Landsberg on Wednesday, and the two friends accepted a mutual challenge to face off in grappling match.

The bout will take place at St-Pierre's Tristar gym in Montreal, and will be shown on Friday's edition of Off The Record, at 6pm et/3pm pt on TSN.

"First we will do a wrestling match, because he believes that he is going to be able to put me down at will, and I believe that I am going to be able to put him down at will," explained St-Pierre.

"On the ice I would never go against him, he's going to beat me and I agree with that 100 percent, but on the floor I have no problem," GSP added.

St-Pierre currently weighs 190 pounds, while Laraque tips the scales at 270 pounds, something the former NHL tough guy thinks will work in his favour.

"I think because of the weight difference he's going to have a hard time," said Laraque. "I want to pick him up and body slam him."

"The problem is Georges believes I am like a tomato can you can grab at the supermarket and you can lift it and do what you want," remarked St-Pierre "He's going to find out that it's not that easy." 

After defeating Dan Hardy at UFC 111 in March, GSP will now coach against Josh Koscheck in Season 12 of The Ultimate Fighter. Following the show, the pair will meet with the UFC welterweight title on the line.

Koscheck became the number one contender by defeating Paul Daley at UFC 113 in the Bell Centre. After the win, Koscheck antagonized fans in Montreal stating that the Pittsburgh Penguins would knock the Canadiens out of the playoffs and that he would go on to beat St-Pierre.

Koscheck's first prediction proved to be false, and GSP didn't hesitate to address his second claim.

"He's wrong, I'm telling you right now. He will be wrong," stated St-Pierre.

As for his matchup with Laraque, St-Pierre wasn't ready to give up his gameplan.

"I have a strategy, but it's like when you play cards, you don't want to show your hand."

source: http://tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=322070

Watch: www.tsn.ca/shows/otr/

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 05:49:56 AM »
annnnd here's the fight! Thanks to Hey Landsberg!

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Acidman - Hibikari