JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 2NE1 - I Love You

Author Topic: LET'S ROCK!! Georges Laraque Thread!  (Read 24459 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: LET'S ROCK!! Georges Laraque Thread!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
ST-PIERRE AND LARAQUE TO FACE OFF IN GRAPPLING MATCH ON OTR
It's here! Georges vs. Georges: http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip304777#clip304770

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 06:52:26 AM »
GEORGES IS FOR THE CHILDREN!!

Georges Laraque jokes around with a Haitian boy outside Grace Children's Hospital in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Tuesday, June 8, 2010. The NHL Players' Association donating more than $1 million to help rebuild a hospital in Haiti. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-NHLPA

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 06:42:23 AM »
Canadiens buy out Georges Laraque

Tuesday, 06.15.2010 / 7:03 PM / News

Montreal Canadiens  General Manager Pierre Gauthier announced Tuesday that the club has bought out the contract of forward Georges Laraque, which was scheduled to run until the end of the 2010-11 season. No financial terms were disclosed. Laraque, 33, played in 28 games with the Canadiens in 2009-10, scoring a goal and adding a pair of assists, along with 28 penalty minutes. In 61 career regular-season games during his two seasons with the Canadiens, Laraque recorded five points (1 goal, 4 assists) and 89 PIM. In 695 regular-season games with Edmonton, Pittsburgh, Phoenix and the Canadiens, Laraque has 53 goals and 153 points, along with 1,126 PIM. He has also played in 57  playoff games, going 4-8-12 with 72 PIM.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=531749

Habs :thumbdown:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
Fuckin Idiots!!

OILERS SIGN THIS MAN UP NOW!!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 11:39:46 AM »
Face Palm Time...

Ex-Oiler Laraque back on ice in Battle of the Blades
Edmonton Journal September 8, 2010 2:04 AM

First he was an enforcer, then he became a vegan, then a politician. Now Georges Laraque, 33, is becoming a figure skater.

Laraque is one of eight former NHL players who've signed on for the second season of CBC's popular Battle of the Blades series. Starting at 8 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 26, it pairs professional hockey players with champion figure skaters in an eight-week series in which the skaters compete in pairs for a $100,000 prize, to be donated to the winners' charity of choice.

Last year, the pair of Edmonton Olympian Jamie Sale and former Oiler Craig Simpson won top prize and donated the money to the Spinal Cord Injury Treatment Centre (Northern Alberta) Society.

Sale is back for this year's series, along with two-time Olympic gold medallist and four-time world champion Ekaterina Gordeeva and former American champion Kyoko Ina.

Laraque, who recently announced his retirement from the NHL, played 10 seasons with the Edmonton Oilers before moving on to the Pittsburgh Penguins, Phoenix Coyotes and Montreal Canadiens.

He lives in Edmonton and is involved in Terrasphere, a vertical farming movement and PETA, and co-owns two vegan restaurants. He is also a deputy leader of the Green Party of Canada, and has been involved in rebuilding the Grace Children's Hospital in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

Other former NHLers on the series are Theo Fleury, Patrice Brisebois, Valeri Bure, Kelly Chase, Russ Courtnall, PJ Stock and Todd Warriner.

The pairings for this season will be announced during the show's premiere. Charities chosen by the participants will be announced then, too.
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

source: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Oiler+Laraque+back+Battle+Blades/3493301/story.html

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »
here's his skating number for this week on "Battle of the Blades"

BUT DAMN! Big Georges gets a skate in the face:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:23 PM »
WHAT A SINGER!!

Georges battling back!

suddenly Masa is a Georges Laraque fan

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 04:46:46 AM »
The fuck you doing Georges :lol:

Figure skating Georges Laraque out to prove sport is tougher than it looks
By: Andy Blatchford, The Canadian Press

STE-JULIE, Que. - His forehead is splashed with sweat, his lungs gulp for air and blood trickles from his cheek, yet Georges Laraque's figure skating practice is barely underway.
The ex-NHL slugger, best known for branding hockey opponents with his knuckles, has embarked on a mission to prove that figure skating is tougher than it gets credit for.
Only months after being captivated by the sport as a reality-show contestant, Laraque is in the middle of a tour that will see him skate in 50 pairs performances at amateur clubs across Canada.
He wants to encourage skeptical boys to give it a shot, and to stick with it.

"I tell them that actually figure skating is an extreme sport, it's tougher than hockey," said Laraque, after catching his breath during a training session with his skating partner in the Montreal suburb of Ste-Julie.
"Figure skaters are mentally and physically much tougher than many athletes.

"I get a lot of stitches from figure skating — more stitches than I had in 13 years playing professional hockey in the NHL."
As a bonus, the 6-foot-3, 285-pound Laraque, who looks more NFL defensive end than the next Elvis Stojko, gets a chance to practise his new love.
He would even consider swapping his NHL career with figure skating, if he could.

"If I had known that it would have been a successful one — I would have done it any day," said Laraque, who was one of the most-feared NHL heavyweights.

First the Green Party, now this. come back to the NHL already and help us beat people up!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 10:24:14 AM »
BREAKING NEWS!!! I heard on the radio that Georges Laraque is releasing a book in November!! Autograph signing on the 10th of Nov to kick shit off!!!

Maybe it's a cookbook lol, vegan pimping:

here's an article he wrote about fighting in the NHL, real moving piece:

I can still remember my first National Hockey League game, with the Edmonton Oilers. It was an exhibition against San Jose and I was on the ice for a faceoff at the same time as Dave Brown, a fighter with a fearsome reputation. I was so close I could hear him breathing, and all I could think about was the time he broke Stu Grimson’s face with a punch. I couldn’t help but think: “What would happen if he challenged me to a fight? He would break my face, too.”

I panicked and avoided his gaze, crouching so low that I could see the stretch of ice between his skates, all the way to my goaltender. I was so scared at the mere thought of dropping the gloves with him that I told myself: “I will never fight in the National Hockey League.”

But I did, and I have learned from my experiences that being a heavyweight in the NHL is the toughest job in professional sport.

This summer has been one of the saddest in the hockey world. We have lost three great guys – Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak. It is puzzling to me that we have had to wait this long to address this issue. After all, we lost Bob Probert, another warrior, just last year. Something should have been done then.

The hardest part about fighting is not the physical part, because once you’re into a fight, with adrenalin kicking in, you don’t feel much pain at all. The struggle is the mental part.

A fight starts much earlier than when it actually happens. During the season, it is continuously in your mind. You think about the next game, who you might have to fight, whether that team has a superheavyweight. It’s in your mind so much that sometimes you cannot even sleep, enjoy your kids’ company or even focus at a movie theatre.

On the day of the game, some guys might be sweating because of the anxiety, have a hard time having their pregame lunch or even pregame nap. It’s often why when two tough guys face each other in a game, they want to get it over with as soon as possible so then they can play and not worry about it. This mental struggle is constant, because when this game is over, then there’s the next one, then you think about the next guy, and after a while this can drive you crazy.

On top of that, you got the pressure of doing well, you want to keep your teammates’ respect, and, of course, you want to keep your job. You know one bad loss in a fight can cost you your job. Tough guys are easy to replace.

Another struggle is the fact that the average career of a tough guy is not usually long, and most of them make minimum salary. Not everyone playing in the NHL makes multimillion dollars a season.

So imagine a guy busting his face for $500,000. About 50 per cent of your salary goes to taxes and 10 per cent goes in escrow back to the teams. After adding in the cost of living for an NHL player during a short playing career, you don’t have much saved. You then have to handle a life after hockey for an other 70 years, and this causes another type of pressure.

For a lot of guys, not just heavyweights, all they knew was hockey. When they get into the real world, it is a struggle and they go into huge depression.

So if you’re a tough guy, you have to deal with a lot of stuff. It would be normal that former players need help or counselling, but this is another issue.

We are supposed to be invincible. We are supposed to show no weaknesses. This is an ego job. You hide everything and the only people who know what you are going through are other tough guys.

So that pressure is why many players rely on drugs or alcohol to hide from their issues. Boogaard, Rypien and Belak were all suffering from depression, but do you know how many more guys are in that situation right now and were just standing by waiting for the bad news to come? As you can see, those guys are not invincible and they also need help. The programs we have right now are not good enough.

Forget about the programs where you have some doctors with a PhD from Harvard who can come in and solve those issues. Players don’t want to talk to a guy who has never played the game or even understand our struggles.

If you think that taking fighting out of hockey is the solution, you are wrong. Eliminating an aspect of the game to solve an issue is never the right way to accomplish things.

I would not want to be the person to make that rule because there will be 75 or more players out of a job because of it, and you would see some going into depression. There are also kids just like me who are playing junior hockey with the hope fighting stays in the game so they can have a job some day. This would create a bigger issue. For me, all those former tough guy who are retired and commentating on television and on radio about taking fighting out of hockey are making me sick. They were there at the right time and now that they’ve made their money, they’re going to spit on what put bread on their table? Well, that’s not going to happen with me.

The best solution would be to have a committee of former players who have fought before for a living, some guys who struggle with the job, some guys who had success, some big and small guys. That way, guys with problems would be more comfortable to talk about their issues and we would be able to find solutions together.

The NHL and the NHLPA also have to work hard together to find better programs for transition to life after hockey for their athletes. Even after their careers are done, those guys are a product in the NHL and we have to take care of them.

We want to enhance the game and make it more popular. If we don’t solve this issue, we will lose many fans, and parents are not going to want to put their kids in hockey. The world is watching us so we have to act quickly and now.

Georges Laraque spent 12 years in the National Hockey League before retiring in 2010, playing for Edmonton, Phoenix, Pittsburgh and Montreal. He is now the deputy leader of the Green Party of Canada. His first book, Georges Laraque: The Story of the Unlikeliest Tough Guy, will be released in November by Penguin Books. He can be reached at www.georgeslaraque.com.

Published on Friday, Sep. 02, 2011 9:44PM EDT

source : http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-new-problem-of-the-nhl/article2152832/?service=mobile

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
You'd attend this event if you know what's good for you! GO SUPPORT GEORGES!

In Person: Georges Laraque

About this event: Meet former NHL enforcer and Montreal Canadien alumni, Georges Laraque, as he signs copies of his new book, Georges Laraque: The Story of the NHL’s Unlikeliest Tough Guy.

Indigo Brossard
 Brossard, Quebec
Monday, November 7th
 12:30 pm
Chapters Pointe-Claire
 Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Monday, November 7th
 6:30 pm
Indigo Eaton Centre
 Toronto, Ontario
Wednesday, November 9th
 12:00 pm
Chapters Oshawa
 Oshawa, Ontario
Wednesday, November 9th
 7:00 pm

plus buy the book: http://penguin.ca/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780670065905,00.html

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 12:23:52 AM »
FUCK! I think I missed the autograph session here yest. :doh: too busy getting me edumacation!  :banghead: :tama-mad:  :theking
http://www.facebook.com/bgl27/posts/10150360295452273

lol Big Georges under fire after he called Gretzky his worst coach ever, you think he woulda trashed MacT  :rofl:

Georges Laraque not afraid to take on politics, religion and a hockey icon

Georges Laraque’s hands are not quite as all-encompassing as you might think, if only because when he used to use them to hit people they landed like cannonballs. But now, when asked by a photographer if he would make a fist for the camera, he declines. He will open his hands, sure, or tuck them under his chin, or lay them on the table. But no fists. He’s done making fists.

Which does not mean, of course, that he is done getting in fights. The past two weeks the former enforcer has started a pair of fires that are still burning in the hockey world, thanks to his new eponymous memoir, subtitled The Story of the NHL’s Unlikeliest Tough Guy. In it, he describes his childhood under an abusive father, the racism he faced in hockey growing up, his push to get to the National Hockey League, his politics, his decision to become a vegan, his priorities, his life. Only over a few pages does he hit issues which are considered third rails — Wayne Gretzky, and performance-enhancing drugs — and they have sparked.

“I didn’t even want to talk about hockey in the book, but the publisher said I should because that’s what I did for a living,” says Laraque, still a massive figure in a black suit with a white open-necked shirt and a poppy, at a beautiful little Bay Street cafe. “I wanted to do more than that. I wanted to help people to become more open-minded. That’s why I talk about politics, about religion, about gay rights, about animal rights, all that stuff.”

And amid all that he also said that Gretzky was the worst coach he ever played for — and there are always many in hockey who will leap to defend its greatest player — and said he knew some players were using PEDs when he played. Neither seems so terribly controversial, other than the fact they were said, or written, aloud. But both have received heavy criticism from within the hockey world. The old, he’s trying-to-sell-books hook has been trotted out. He is, of course, but he says that’s not the point.

“If really it was for a publicity stunt, then that’s all I would talk about,” says Laraque, constantly animated, talking with his hands. “I would write a whole chapter, go much bigger. And in an interview with you, that’s all I would talk about. I’d make it sensational, so it stays and becomes a debate. And every interview I go to people have changed the subject, because I talk about the three guys who passed away this summer and a measure to prevent that. All the players or former players who criticized me, what are they doing to change things? I’m just trying to find a way.”

Indeed, the steroid stuff is a page or two, and it is merely reminiscing without naming names. As for today’s problems, Laraque advocates Olympic-style mandatory blood testing. He admits most players would privately object, but he is haunted by what happened to Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak this summer. He wants a test that could detect sleeping pills, painkillers, the tools of the depressive trade. (All three men suffered from depression, to some extent, before they died.) It is in no way a perfect solution, but at least he is willing to try.

“I don’t think there is a steroid problem in the NHL, but there’s obviously a drug problem,” he says. “And how many more guys are suffering in silence, or taking stuff they shouldn’t be taking? And what are we doing to prevent them from doing it? If another person passes away from any type of drugs …”

As he speaks his hands move faster, and he gets excited. He talks about the sometimes-strained racial climate in hockey — “media in Montreal have said P.K. Subban’s a great player and he has to be careful, because people are waiting for him to make a mistake, because he’s black. And it’s true.”

He speaks about his politics as deputy leader of the Green Party, which he joined in part because they asked before the NDP did. He talks about doing work in Haiti, or in Africa, and learning what real problems are.

He says hockey doesn’t matter, not really. He wants to be a symbol of triumph over impossible odds, of achieving a dream, of opening your mind. He is of the hockey culture and so apart from it in so many ways, and this is one more.

But the hockey issues are inescapable, of course. When the book was launched in French the reaction focused more about his revelation that most Quebec-born players would prefer not to play under the great fiery microscope that is the Montreal Canadiens; that seems to have been ignored in the English-speaking world, even if it applies.

“And it’s not just Montreal — it’s Canadian teams,” he says. “Why do the Toronto Maple Leafs have a hard time getting players to come play in Canada? Right? Because we know that the pressure to play hockey in Canada is greater. A lot of guys want to play in the States where there’s no media, and they don’t bother you, and you can live your life.”

This last heresy is widely felt but rarely expressed. Laraque, who played in Edmonton, Phoenix, Pittsburgh and Montreal in his 13-year career, isn’t afraid to say what he thinks. Which, in hockey’s still-thriving culture of pablum, is notable in itself.

“The culture of hockey is answering politically,” he says. “When [Alexander] Ovechkin doesn’t play and he says, ‘I’m pissed off,’ that’s great. When Ryan Miller is benched and they ask him, ‘How do you feel about it,’ and he says, ‘I’m pissed off, I want to play and I want to win,’ I love listening to that. They’re not lying to the fans. It’s not, ‘Oh well, I understand the coach’s decision, I’m going to work 110%, and I’m a team player’ — f— that, 90% of interviews are like that. People pay to listen to us. Why lie in their face? Why are we doing interviews, then?”

With that our time is up, and we walk to his car, off to the next interview. He has more people to tell how he really feels.

via: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/11/09/georges-laraque-not-pulling-punches-on-nhl/

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 06:07:27 AM »
DONT CALL IT A COME BACK!!! :w00t:

My possible return to the NHL

As many of you guys know already, I’m trying to make a comeback in the NHL.

Here’s why…

First of all, now I’m healthier than ever, my last 2 years of playing with the Canadiens, I had to deal with a lot of injuries, and no one really saw me play at my full potential. For the last couple months now, I’ve been training with a personal trainer every morning at the gym, pushing myself like I was when I was playing in the NHL to really test myself physically, I actually just ran 90km in 3 days last week for a charity (Esprit de Corps) and my body feels great. I weight now the same as when I was playing 255 lbs and intent to go down to 245 lbs.

The biggest reason thought, is because I didn’t like the way my career ended and I want to finish it on a better note if I got the chance. My last memory of my career is on January 21, 2010, couple days after the earthquake in Haiti, Bob Gainey calls me in his office to release me. That’s truly not the memory I want of my 13 year career. So I will do everything I can to play at least one more year so I can end things of my own term and have a better memory.

We all saw the state of the game of hockey today, and I don’t think it would come as a surprise for you if I told you that the role of enforcer is still really valuable to a team this year and now more than ever. Look at all the incidents that happened in the last couple of years, I don’t see those incidents happens to team like Boston, Philly, Toronto… And why do you think? Isn’t it obvious? So some teams this summer will address their need and some of them will be toughness. Well me, I know my role, I did it for 13 years where I fought over 130 times, and to comeback, it’s exactly what I will have to do. I’m motivated, I feel like I have something to prove, and a man on a mission like this is a dangerous man and if I get the try-out I’m looking for, I wouldn’t want to be the guy standing in front of me…

This is not news worthy because I don’t have a try-out yet, my agent will be speaking to teams after the draft, this is not about money either because I’m willing to play for minimum salary so I don’t hurt the cap of any team that might be interested. This is not a P.R. move because I’m really putting it the effort for a real comeback, just like my buddy Ken Belanger, former tough guy for the L.A. Kings that had a successful return to the NHL after a 2 years absence couple years ago.

Just look at the fourth liner of your favorite team, then pick the tough guy on it, this is the guy I will have to compete against for a job, who do you rather have on your team…? At the end of the day, I have nothing to lose, at the end of the day, I’m just looking for a try-out, not a guarantee , a try-out, like my buddy Peter Sykora did last camp in New Jersey and he made the team. I understand that my role wouldn’t be the same as before, I might play every 2 games, my ice time average of 9 min. a game might go down quite a bit, but I’ll do and accept whatever it takes and if I get that chance, I guarantee you that I will make that team!

Thanks for your support!

P.S. About the critics, here’s what I have to say, if I was a person that listen and was affected by them, I would have never made it to the NHL, critics give me fuel to achieve my dreams! After all, criticism comes from jealous people period, when you can understand that, there’s no problem at all!

Georges Laraque

source: https://www.facebook.com/bgl27

Please MacT resign him, Oilers need his muscle and leadership!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 07:50:54 AM »
HOLY SHIT!!! Big Georges Retweeted us :jphip: my mancrush fantasies fullfilled

cuz I gave him props on his radio interview for the Road Hockey to Conquer Cancer http://teamuptoconquercancer.ca event September 22nd and in Toronto and Vancouver.. Pure 15 minutes of RANT esp. dissing the Oilers tough guys: http://www.theteam1260.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=1742

He makes a good point - protect the star players during the regular season so they can play in the playoffs.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »

joyeux anniversaire GRAND GEORGES

ITS A MONSTER MAN!!! Enjoy those tofu burgers, simply the best fighter in NHL history, come back to the Oilers!! At least coach em up on how to beat up chumps!

Offline khairilh

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »
One of the most shocking segments, for Laraque, was Earthlings' exposé of how circus animals are trained.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 03:57:38 AM »
BEEN A WHILE GEORGES!!! How's the Green Party!

Now that he's been retired. Great to see him back during the last Rexall Game.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2020, 03:30:07 AM »
MERDE!!!! Big Georges got covid19, he's got asthma so more vulnerable  GET WELL Big Man! https://twitter.com/GeorgesLaraque/status/1255980562952617984

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 2NE1 - I Love You