JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Gackt - Mizerable

Author Topic: Official Racing Thread  (Read 136078 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Official Racing Thread
« on: May 27, 2005, 07:51:54 AM »
Who watches F1, NASCAR, etc.??

I don't but it's always on TV!!

Though I always enjoy the babes...like a certain something something who should sign up for this.

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 09:00:52 AM »
i've been to a few F1 races, they're simply awesome.  it's unbelievable how loud it gets.  back before our company moved, during racing weekend you could actually hear the screeching engines from our old office, which was about 3 km from the racetrack.

i hope to be able to attend a nascar race soon, that looks fun too.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 01:21:15 PM »
I was going to make a racing thread too, but daigong was faster though.

I used to be a huge fan of Formula 1 when I was kid. I always cheered for "Marlboro car", until I learned the team names :)

Formula 1 has been boring since Mika Hakkinen retired and Michael Schumacher dominated the series  alone. Until now, when it looks like there would be a real fight for the championship again.

Although I still kinda miss the Hill - Schumacher battle... They kinda hated each other... it was great :D Too bad I was too young for watching legendary duels between Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost.
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 04:16:13 PM »
BE PREPARED FOR A RANT ON WHY F1 RULZ AND THE OTHERS ALL SUCK BALLS MORE THAN MATT DAMON!

Formula 1 is the absolute king of motorsports!!!  The Champ Car Series is decent, but I find NASCAR and the IRL just plain boring.  For one thing, unlike NASCAR and the IRL, F1 and Champ Car guys actually have to be able to drive (i.e. turning left AND right).  They have to actually know HOW to safely and successfully pass a rival driver ON THE TRACK (instead of JUST in the pit lane).  In F1, they have to deal with elevation changes (which the North American racers are just scared shitless to do).  F1 drivers are also skilled enough to race in the rain (unless it's a torrential downpour like a thunderstorm or monsoon or something, that would just be stupid), unlike NASCAR and IRL, who pack everything up and call "rain delay" if there's a mild shower a couple of miles away from the track.  

Best part of it (F1) though, is that each team gets to design their own car!!!  This makes for a lot better competition, because certain teams will have better advantages on one track, but then may lose it on the next. This makes things like pit strategy, how hard they drive, etc., so much more important.  Champ Car, NASCAR and IRL cars are all the same, they follow the cookie-cutter philosophy.  Ok, IRL has 2 different chassis that teams can choose from. Oooooo...2 chassis.  Big fuckin deal, they're practically identical anyway.  Unless you're standing right in front of the cars, you'd never be able to tell the difference.  

With F1 cars, even as they're racing at top speeds on TV, you can see the differences in the front wing placement/shape, the bodywork on the side-panels, the height and size of the rear wing, and on the McLaren cars, those little mini-wings they have near the air intake port above the driver's head.

Then there's the engines.  Champ Car is ALL Ford-Cosworth, which is not bad, IMO, because it puts everyone on an equal-playing field.  The team that does the best job of maintaining and maximizing the engine should get the best results (I say should because a lot depends, of course, on the driver and the luck of the day).  NASCAR has all North-American engines, I think (Chevy, Ford, Pontiac), and IRL has Honda, Toyota, and Chevy (again, I think).  The variety in engines has the potential for creating better competition as we look to see who's engines perform better and are more reliable, especially since all the cars use the same chassis.

F1 is racing that is won/lost on the strength of the engines, moreso now than ever since the FIA instituted the new rule that an engine HAS to last for 2 race weekends.  None of the other racing promotions would even think of doing that.  Normally it's one engine for practice, one for qualifying, and then one (the most reliable) for race day.  This new rule FIA instituted has caused the engine makers to make engines that are even tougher/more reliable than ever.  They'd kick the shit out of a NASCAR/IRL engine.  Also, the same way each F1 team develops/designs it's own car, they each provide their own engine (except for the smaller teams, who have deals with the bigger teams for engines.

I always make an effort to watch the F1 races.  I'll also watch Champ Car now and then (at least they can turn left AND right).  Never watch NASCAR, cuz I don't really care about redneck racing.  I only watch IRL during the Indy 500, or if they're doing a spot on Danica Patrick.  Fuck I'd love to go 200 MPH with her!!!   :jerk:  :jerk:  :jerk:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 06:28:03 AM »
I can identify some of the NASCAR guys, but I can't watch it.  It's only cool when accidents happen ( and Nobody wants anyone to get hurt).  Also,  they're driving in circles!

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 12:45:54 AM »
I think that's part of the reason why NASCAR and IRL are more popular in the States than F1 or Champ Car.  With NASCAR and IRL, the race is all contained within one structure as the course is circular.  That way, the live spectators can see the entire couse at any point of the race.  With F1 and Champ Car, which use road/street courses, the courses are spread out more and therefore the live audience can only see a section of the race at a time as the racers pass.  And when you're going as fast as these guys go, it's pretty much just a quick flash of colourful cars, then just waiting for them to come back again.  It's actually better (I think) to watch F1/Champ Car on TV than live if you want to watch the WHOLE race on the WHOLE course.  If you don't mind only getting to see the race as it passes the particular area you happen to be able to see, then go for it.  I know I'd love to be in Monaco or Spain or Japan when they have their F1 races.

Offline fustigant

• Head Bonker
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 05:54:57 PM »
I'm glued to the tv anytime I can catch an F1 race, but since most people in the states don't even know it exsists, that is very rare.  I try to watch nascar, but it does get very boring very fast.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 08:58:10 PM »
Well, when all you do is go around in circles, of course it gets boring.  That's why I've always preferred F1 and Champ Car.  Their races are actually tests of DRIVING skills.  NASCAR and IRL races are just tests of LEFT-TURNING skills.  The ONLY time NASCAR and IRL guys have to turn right are when they enter/leave their pit areas during pit stops, and maybe when they're unloading their cars off of the trucks and have to move them to and from the garage areas.

BTW, after watching the European Grand Prix today, I've gotta say it must SUCK to be Kimi Raikkonen right now.  I can understand why he didn't change his tire with less than 10 laps left to go in the race.  The gamble almost paid off.  To go out like that on the final lap... :evil:  :evil:  :evil: .

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 09:40:17 PM »
ha i used to a F1 snob like you TQ.. but nascar's no walk in the park when you're racing three-wide on a short-track circuit.  i started watching more nascar during last year's F1 snooze-fest, and let me tell you those guys are just as skilled as any other driver out there.

too bad about kimi, but damn this year's races are much more exciting.  i hate ferrari with a passion :x so happy they're blowing chunks right now :ROFL

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 09:55:22 PM »
I agree that last year's F1 season was majorly dull.  I actually focused on all of the other teams and pretty much ignored Ferarri last year.  This year is definitely better.  With the increased number of restrictions that the FIA is implementing, it's forcing the drivers to improve their skills and forcing the teams to build better cars and come up with newer/better strategies.

While I'm willing to admit to being an F1 snob, like I said, F1 is a better test of driving skills and strategy, IMO.  Running three-wide at over 100 mph is difficult in NASCAR, I'll give you that.  But the reason they CAN run three-wide is because NASCAR is "closed-wheel racing" (where the tires are NOT at risk of any contact with the tires of other cars because they are protected within the wheel wells of the car), F1 is "open-wheel racing", where ANY contact with any of the tires means instant disaster.  OPW racing is much more dangerous than CWR. Combine that with the courses and regulations of F1, and IMO, we have better test of driving skills.

I've actually traditionally been a fan of the Williams team, but I COULDN'T STAND Montoya when he was with them.  The guy's such an arrogant prick.  He's also way too agressive out on the track, to the point where he's dangerous and risking the other driver's safety.

WOO HOOO!!! Danica just took the lead in the Indy 500!!!  Less than 20 laps to go!!!

UPDATE:  FUCKIN' HELL!!! :x  :evil:  :x   STUPID YELLOW FLAG COST DANICA THE LEAD!!!  ONLY 10 LAPS LEFT!!!

UPDATE 2:  AWESOME RE-START FOR DANICA!!! SHE'S RE-TAKEN THE LEAD!!!!

UPDATE 3: Ok, keep your head.  Wait for a chance. Wait for a chance.

UPDATE 4:  Oh fuck, she's running out of fuel.

UPDATE 5:  FUCKIN' CRASH!!!  They're stuck now in their current positions with the yellow flag out.  Oh well, she's still the best-finisher for a female driver at Indy. And she's still absolutely fucking HAWT!!!

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 02:46:57 AM »
She finished fourth. Not bad at all.

Offline flipsy

Official Racing Thread
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 08:46:49 PM »
Anything but Nascar/Cascar and horse racing.  Whats the point of driving in a circle 300 times :shock:

Offline amuse

• ecchi
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 09:31:17 AM »
I watch every F1 race live on tv. This season is getting pretty interesting, and surprisingly BMW-Williams is doing quite well. Nobody really paid much attention to them since the focus has been on Renault, McLaren, Toyota, and Ferrari. Ferrari is horrible this season but the car has potential, they just need to fix up little things to be more competitive. I think Alonso will win the driver's championship and McLaren will win constructor's.

I want to watch races like DTM and JGTC (Super GT?) but I get no coverage here. Goddamn Speed and their nonstop nascar re-runs... :(
Quote from: hot_lilAzn
i named mine Man of steel becuz it\'s always hard as steel and hard lol :wink:

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 04:29:38 PM »
Paul Tracy got his first win of the season!!!  Ironic thing is...he did it on one of the few oval tracks that Champ Car runs. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
Feel good story though, IMO, is Oriol Servia getting a podium finish even though he'd only been signed by Newman-Haas for this ONE race (while Junqueira's out with his injury).  He's a good driver, the team's gonna have a hell of a time deciding whether to keep him in the car for now or try and get another driver to sub for Junqueira.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 05:22:05 AM »
Man, I wasn't able to watch the Canadian Grand Prix yesterday.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
Luckily my friend taped it.  Gotta say it's a nice comeback for Raikkonen, considering how he lost it on the last lap during the last race in Germany.  What a sucky day for the Renault team.  Both Fisichella and Alonso were completely dominating during, like 75% of the race only to both end up being out of the race.  Best drive of the day went to Rubens, IMO.  The guy had had mechanical troubles during qualifying on Saturday and also during the warmups on Sunday.  He started the race from the very back of the pack (actually from pit lane), and he just quietly went about and ran his own race, and for his efforts wound up in third place.  To go from last (20th) to 3rd?  That's damn good.  Bravo Rubens!!! :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Offline amuse

• ecchi
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 09:45:27 AM »
There were a ton of drama during the Canadian GP. Both Renaults and BARs DNFed after a strong weekend and Montoya drove like an idiot and got black flagged. The Ferrari still isn't showing any sign of fast early pace, so it'd be hard for Michael or Rubens to win a race this season. They're just too slow at the start and can only win due to strategy and some luck. Let's just hope this weekend will be another exciting race filled with drama from start to finish  :w00t:
Quote from: hot_lilAzn
i named mine Man of steel becuz it\'s always hard as steel and hard lol :wink:

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »
Ferrari lacks speed in single lap qualifying, so they have to compensate it with low fuel amounts (and three stop pit strategy). Couple of this kind of disasters for Renault and we have an interesting season ahead. Although this season has already been much better than last five with Ferrari's sole dominance.
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 03:30:58 AM »
Compared to last year, it seems like the Ferrari cars (and the Bridgetone tires) this year are taking much, much longer to warm up and get to that point where they CAN be competetive.  They've obviously also had a lot more mechanical/engineering problems this year compared to the last 2 or 3, when everything was working so smoothly for them.  

In terms of the constructors, I'd say that Renault has clearly made the most improvement, especially with their starter system (they both overtook the front row at the start of the Cdn GP this past sunday).

As far as Montoya goes, I was glad when he got DQ'd.  That WAS a stupid, reckless move that he did.  From replays of the camera views of the camera that was mounted on Montoya's car, it was obvious that the red light was on.  He fucked up.  He deserved to be DQ'd. End of story.  I've always personally felt that he's way TOO aggressive, to the point where he's sometimes dangerous and risking the other racers' safety (like during the above-mentioned incident).  He's got skills, I'll give him that, and he definitely has confidence in himself, but sometimes it's like his opinion of his abilities exceed is actual abilities.  I don't know if I should say that he's full of himself, but if the shoe fits...

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 10:11:10 AM »
Renault had a very good starter system already in last year. But they lacked speed and reliability to compete for championship.

Montoya's disqualification was a right decision, but I think F1 needs characters like him. Especially to fight for the championship. Eddie Irvine always had great comments about things, he always blamed someone else than himself. That guy was the master of being full of himself :) And Schumacher - Hill battles were great, they did almost anything to win.

Although the championship is decided on the track, the drama part is important in F1 too :)
coot is ctz

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Official Racing Thread
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 02:57:15 AM »
I actually liked Eddie Irvine when he was still in F1, I thought he was one of the coolest guys on the track, and this is still back when I couldn't tell which cars belonged to which teams, or even how many teams there were at the time!!!  
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
And yeah, I'll admit that F1 does well to have the guys with the swollen egos like Montoya.    That way it makes it more fun to watch when they lose!!! :damnfunny  :damnfunny  :damnfunny

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Gackt - Mizerable