JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Low IQ 01 - So Easy

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 483336 times)

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1300 on: November 23, 2007, 03:37:32 AM »
ok so i'm thinking of upgrading my laptop computer. but i was wondering about a couple of stuff...

1) is there a limit on how much the internal hard drive (for laptops)?  i currently have a 80GB 5400RPM w/ ATA-5 interface.  i find some 120GB, 160GB and even 250GB hard drive with ATA-6 interface.  is that compatible?

2) i would also want to upgrade the laptop's memory.  my comp specs is DDR synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) at 333 MHz, DDR-SDRAM (DDRRAM), or something like PC2700 or something. but instead of DDR-SDRAM, i found mostly SO-DIMM.  would that work?  it did mentioned that it's DDR 333 (PC2700) and something about 200-pin but i dunno about that...

anyway this is my problems rite now and i'm also want to buy it as soon as i can.  but i just don't know about this, so i'm asking questions before i'm buying.  if anyone here is good enough and know enough about computer hardware to help me, please do, i'd really appreciate the help.  thanks and waiting for your response.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1301 on: November 23, 2007, 03:45:10 AM »
2) i would also want to upgrade the laptop's memory.  my comp specs is DDR synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) at 333 MHz, DDR-SDRAM (DDRRAM), or something like PC2700 or something. but instead of DDR-SDRAM, i found mostly SO-DIMM.  would that work?  it did mentioned that it's DDR 333 (PC2700) and something about 200-pin but i dunno about that...

SO-DIMM just means that it's laptop memory, not that's a different type from DDR/SDRAM

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1302 on: November 23, 2007, 04:45:52 AM »
ok thanks for that.  now what about hard drive capacity limit?  does it matter?  or can any size work?  and can i buy an ata-6 hard drive for my laptop that supposedly used ata-5? 

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1303 on: November 23, 2007, 05:03:37 AM »
ok thanks for that.  now what about hard drive capacity limit?  does it matter?  or can any size work?  and can i buy an ata-6 hard drive for my laptop that supposedly used ata-5? 
ATA-6 and ATA-5 are compatible, it just the transfere speed that is different.
Unless your laptop BIOS has a 127GB limit (probably not because of the SATA interface) the bigger drives should fit.
The only problem might be the power requirements of the new drive, if they are to high the system might get unstable.
e.g. higher speed drives (7200rpm) mostly need more power to get upto speed which might give a problem for a system configured to run max 5400rpm drives.

Labtop memory has different pins/size for the memory cards (they are smaller) hence SO-DIMM.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1304 on: November 23, 2007, 05:33:44 AM »
so do that mean i shouldn't get a 7200 RPM hard drive and should get a 5400 RPM instead just in case rite? 
i do want to get a 250GB that's 5400rpm, but i don't know if my BIOS have a limit or not. is there any way to find out? 

also what's a good brand for memory? i don't which company have better memory.  looking at the memory rite now, i see several brand, kingston, corsair, g skill, a-data, pny, etc... isn't kingston a good brand?
as for hard drive, i think Western Digital is a good one, so is Seagate...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:49:56 AM by BigDnm01 »

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1305 on: November 23, 2007, 07:12:54 AM »
ATA-5 vs ATA-6: ATA-5 has a disk size limit of 137 GB. This is a limit of the BIOS usually. To make sure you have a compatible BIOS look for "48-bit LBA" in the specs. Or look for "UDMA 5" aka "UDMA/100", as this transfer mode was added with the ATA-6 standard. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment

PATA vs SATA: PATA and SATA are not compatible. ATA-5 or ATA-6 standard drives are PATA. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

SO-DIMM: a 200-pin memory module is a SO-DIMM. DDR 333 (PC2700) is an indication of the speed. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1306 on: November 23, 2007, 10:20:14 AM »
^ tiny you are correct about the ATA-5/6, I actually miss read that for (P/S)ATA why the heck can;t they call it IDE and SATA only :)

@BigDnm01:
You will have to readup in the manual what your machine can handle.
Kingston is good, WD/Seagate are good.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 10:26:40 AM by frblckstr1 »

Offline huggumwuggums

• さゆみのLOVEマシーン
  • Member+
  • Soo Young = My genie
« Reply #1307 on: November 23, 2007, 05:06:34 PM »
I have this video that was downloading via torrent and suddenly my client crashes at 98%. I tried downloading it using another client but the same thing happened, they just crashed, failing to download anything more than 98%. The thing is, I'd be happy enough if the video was playable, but it's just not, I tried running it through DivFix but it said " This is not an AVI file".

Any idea why my clients are crashing and are there ways for me to salvage the file? It'll be a bitch to download it all over again only for the same thing to happen :/

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1308 on: November 23, 2007, 05:20:52 PM »
^ drop it into vlc and see what happens, if its the first 2% that has the problem you are out-of-luck.

Offline huggumwuggums

• さゆみのLOVEマシーン
  • Member+
  • Soo Young = My genie
« Reply #1309 on: November 23, 2007, 05:29:30 PM »
Yeah, I tried running it through VLC. Nothing happened ;_;

Offline flamingmoe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1310 on: November 23, 2007, 10:04:26 PM »
^ How big is the file supposed to be? Hard drives formatted with FAT32 can't handle files over 4gb, so that could prevent any client from getting the last 2% if the file is over the limit. Or maybe you have bad sectors on your drive? You can try copying the file to a different drive and resuming the torrent from there. Your client should be able to run a hash check and resume if nothing is corrupted.

Offline huggumwuggums

• さゆみのLOVEマシーン
  • Member+
  • Soo Young = My genie
« Reply #1311 on: November 24, 2007, 01:07:06 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions flamingmoe. My hardisk is formatted NTFS so I don't think it's the first one. I'll check out my hardisk for bad sectors.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1312 on: November 24, 2007, 09:09:55 AM »
I had this old Angelfire website years ago, and it was a blog.

When I Google my full name, a link for it pops up and now I'm wondering if there's any way to get rid of the site? Like I said, it was years ago and I don't remember my password and username for it anymore...

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1313 on: November 25, 2007, 09:48:21 PM »
got a question guys. I just bought my new laptop and it says that i'm running out of disc space on D drive. It's impossible, since I have dial-up in my house and haven't done anything to it. What do you think could be the problem?

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1314 on: November 26, 2007, 02:55:05 AM »
i try to delete a folder, that is empty btw, and it says:
[cannot delete file: cannot read from the source or disk]

the folder is empty and i even try to restart my computer then try to delete it once again. no luck.  anyone knows what the problem is or at least how to delete it.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1315 on: November 26, 2007, 05:02:17 AM »
^^ and ^ you both checked for virusus and back sectors on the disk?

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1316 on: November 26, 2007, 09:37:32 PM »
yep, checked for viruses, not sure on the back sectors though..how do i do that?

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1317 on: November 27, 2007, 04:57:16 AM »
I think he means bad sectors :P

Offline Reanimation

• Kameist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1318 on: November 27, 2007, 04:58:59 AM »
i try to delete a folder, that is empty btw, and it says:
[cannot delete file: cannot read from the source or disk]

the folder is empty and i even try to restart my computer then try to delete it once again. no luck.  anyone knows what the problem is or at least how to delete it.
i have this problem once in awhile. download a program called unlocker. unlock the folder, then delete it.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Unlocker.shtml

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #1319 on: November 29, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »
I had this old Angelfire website years ago, and it was a blog.

When I Google my full name, a link for it pops up and now I'm wondering if there's any way to get rid of the site? Like I said, it was years ago and I don't remember my password and username for it anymore...

Nope.  You can't remove it from google unless it fetches a 404 now (they'll remove archived versions).  You might be able to remove it from angelfire itself, I'm not sure.
The artist formerly known as Gray.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Low IQ 01 - So Easy