JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chirinuruwowaka - Hanamuke

Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 10632 times)

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 10:46:23 AM »
haha the JET scene is fucking epic like hell!! gives me goosebumps all the time

gay icon = Captain America (too bad hes dead...oppps!)

Offline Happosai

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
Fuckin' awesome trailer!  :drool:  :drool:

Offline Hakai

• Broken chopstick Masta
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A fistful of confetti
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »
Was he kidnapped by bad guys of A Team?  :?

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:46 PM »
just watched the trailer at another site (cos company blocked Masa's link... :oops:).
It sure got me interested, even though I never really liked IronMan. Don't think I'll mind spending at the cinemas for this one.  :roll:

Reading comics again, since the Civil War storyline last year also helped gain a few points :lol:
Which makes people start guessing. What if Captain America had a movie coming out? Would the war have changed!  :P

Offline eglue

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
the trailer does look really good.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »

Reading comics again, since the Civil War storyline last year also helped gain a few points :lol:
Which makes people start guessing. What if Captain America had a movie coming out? Would the war have changed!  :P

it would be hella lame, people will critisize it as a american propaganda film or w/e  :thumbdown:

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Re: [Movie] Iron Man
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 02:40:03 PM »
Villains for the movie- Mandarin ( I didn't notice him and I don't think he'll have the 10 rings.) Obadiah Stane (in the Iron Monger);  The New Iron Man series coming soon will feature his Stane's son as a villain.

Captain America is back in the comics it's Winter Soldier aka Bucky

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [Movie] Iron Man
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 05:43:14 AM »
The Final Poster:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 09:14:56 PM »
I saw the movie today and it was way better than I expected. I'm one of the few people who hated the trailer and since I have never been a big fan of the comicbook flicks, my expections were low. But.... I have to admit that I enjoyed the movie.

Downey Jr. fucking nailed the role of Tony Stark, dude's swagger was off the hook! Dude was born to play that role. Another thing that was on point were the special effects. I was especially impressed by the Iron Man costume, which looked pretty damn realistic even during the action scenes. Speaking of which, the action scenes were tight but like always, there could have been more action. Last but not least I gotta say that Gwyneth Paltrow was looking hot (for the first time ever). She needs dye her hair red permanently :drool:

Overall I would say that Iron Man is my favorite Marvel movie after the Spider-Man trilogy and it's definitely worth seeing :thumbsup

'Iron Man' a box office marvel

Paramount and Marvel Studios’ summer tentpole “Iron Man” mined enough in its box office debut to join the pantheon of all-time highest openers, grossing an estimated $104.2 million domestically and $96.8 million internationally for a worldwide cume of $201 million in its first five days.

Hollywood couldn’t wish for a better way to start summer 2008 than with the launch of a new film franchise, considering the lack of titan sequels that gave the film biz its best summer on record last year at the domestic B.O. --a blessing and a curse, since comparisons will be tough.

“Iron Man,” directed by Jon Favreau and toplining Robert Downey Jr., grossed an estimated $100.7 million from 4,105 theaters for the weekend and $3.5 million more in Thursday night previews. That is the second-best opening ever for a non-sequel after Sony and Marvel’s “Spider-Man,” which opened to $114.8 million on the same weekend in 2002, and the 10th best opening of all time, according to Rentrak.

It’s also the best opening ever for a Paramount live-action release, although the studio is only distributing and marketing “Iron Man” per its output deal with the reorganized Marvel Studios in the post-Avi Arad era. (Arad remains a producer on “Iron Man.”)

Tentpole’s opening performance is a resounding victory for Marvel, which is trying to claim more ownership by fully developing, producing and finance their movies. “Iron Man” is the first title out of the gate, to be followed later this summer by “The Hulk,” which Universal is releasing.

“I couldn’t imagine a better blast off for our new Marvel Studios than this,” said Marvel Studios chair David Maisel. “The Marvel brand is beloved. People know it stands for a summer, family-friendly action movie. And we had fantastic casting.”

Marvel Studios relied on its $525 million line of credit with Merrill Lynch to finance “Iron Man,” which cost $130 million to produce and has an easy shot at soaring past the $200 million mark domestically. After Paramount recoups its marketing costs and distribution fee, the rest of the money will go to Marvel.

Weekend was down nearly 13% from the same weekend in 2007, when “Spider-Man 3” kicked off the summer with $151.1 weekend gross, the highest on record, according to Media by Numbers.

There was some question as to whether “Iron Man,” which drew an A Cinemascore, could lure women. Film’s gross revealed it succeeded, although it still skewed heavily male. Of the audience, 62% were men.

That left some room for Sony to capture the attention of older women with Patrick Dempsey-Michelle Monaghan romantic comedy “Made of Honor,” which opened to an estimated $15.5 million from 2,729 runs to place No. 2 for the weekend. Of the audience, 68% were female, while 62% were over the age of 25. Pic got a B+ Cinemascore.

Sony prexy of domestic distribution Rory Bruer said the opening number of “Made of Honor” was good, considering there was a picture in the marketplace that bowed at more than $100 million.

“I feel good about the start, and I think we’ll end up with a good multiple,” Bruer said. “Let’s face it, ‘Iron Man’ ended up getting most everybody.”

“Made of Honor” joined an already crowded field for female-skewing titles. Universal holdover “Baby Mama” held well in its second frame, declining 41% to an estimated $10.3 million from 2,548 runs to place No. 3 for the frame. Cume is $33.2 million.

U also claimed the No. 4 spot on the B.O. chart with raunchy romantic comedy “Forgetting Sarah Marshall,” which declined 44% in its third frame to an estimated $6.1 million from 2,872 for a cume of $44.8 million.

Twentieth Century Fox used the weekend to sneak peek Cameron Diaz-Ashton Kutcher comedy “What Happens in Vegas” before it opens May 9.

Fox senior VP of distribution Bert Livingston said the 300 or so shows at 10 p.m. Saturday were “all solid,” and that the film should stand apart from the other comedies already in the market. “Comedy is king, and we are desperately trying to grab the attention of young men,” Livingston said.

“Iron Man,” however, will remain a force to reckon with. Also opening May 9 is Warner Bros.’ PG-rated “Speed Racer.”

Like the first “Spider-Man,” “Iron Man” drew rave reviews, particularly for Downey’s performance as Tony Stark. Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges and Terrence Howard co-star. Strong notices paid off, with 57% of the audience over the age of 25.

“When there is a movie that feels like real entertainment and it’s really made well, and that people can go see with their kids, everybody shows up,” Paramount prexy of worldwide marketing and distribution Rob Moore said.

“Robert Downey is someone everyone has known as a spectacular actor. Combine his great talent with this great Marvel character, and look what it’s yielded,” Moore continued. “Downey isn’t your normal, bulked up superhero. He’s someone everyone can relate to.”

It was Marvel Studios prexy of production Kevin Feige who arranged the deal for Downey to board and play the part of Marvel comicbook character Tony Stark. Downey was last seen on the bigscreen exactly a year ago in Warner Bros.’ gambling drama “Lucky You,” which opened to a paltry $2.7 million the same frame in 2007 and cumed just $5.7 million domestically.

“Iron Man” also gives Favreau (“Elf”) his first big-budget actioner win.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117985068.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2562

Marvel mines more precious metal with `Iron Man 2'

This weekend was just the beginning of Hollywood's Iron age. Marvel Studios announced Monday it will release "Iron Man 2" on April 30, 2010, following the success of the first in the comic-book franchise, which pulled in $104.2 million domestically since opening last Thursday and $201 million worldwide. Four other films based on Marvel superheroes also were announced: "Thor," due out June 4, 2010; "The First Avenger: Captain America," May 6, 2011; "The Avengers," July 2011; and "Ant-Man," which is in development but has no release date.

Marvel also has "The Incredible Hulk," starring Edward Norton, coming out this June 13 from Universal Studios. Just as Downey's character, Tony Stark, makes an appearance in next month's "The Incredible Hulk," the Hulk could turn up in "Iron Man 2," Marvel Studios Chairman David Maisel said during a conference call to discuss the company's earnings. And "The Avengers" consists of a rotating roster of Marvel heroes — including original members Iron Man, the Hulk, Ant-Man and Thor — that could see the return of virtually any of the franchise's characters.

"In controlling our destiny, we can control where the characters are and we can have our movies connect and be in the same universe," Maisel said. "Iron Man" was the first film financed by Marvel, which previously licensed its superheroes to Hollywood studios for such hits as the "Spider-Man," "X-men" and "Fantastic Four" flicks.

Seeking more creative control and a bigger cut of the receipts, Marvel plans to make future films itself and hire studios to distribute them for a fee. Starring Robert Downey Jr. as a billionaire weapons designer who builds himself a high-tech metal suit to fight bad guys, "Iron Man" exceeded box-office expectations, coming in second only to the first "Spider-Man" for debuts among non-sequels.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080505/ap_en_mo/film_iron_man2;_ylt=AqseQS7NOV_lvCVrf4jH5X9Y24cA
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:49:20 PM by Masa »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 02:09:05 AM »
I saw the movie today and it was way better than I expected. I'm one of the few people who hated the trailer and since I have never been a big fan of the comicbook flicks, my expections were low. But.... I have to admit that I enjoyed the movie.

Downey Jr. fucking nailed the role of Tony Stark, dude's swagger was off the hook! Dude was born to play that role. Another thing that was on point were the special effects. I was especially impressed by the Iron Man costume, which looked pretty damn realistic even during the action scenes. Speaking of which, the action scenes were tight but like always, there could have been more action. Last but not least I gotta say that Gwyneth Paltrow was looking hot (for the first time ever). She needs dye her hair red permanently :drool:

Overall I would say that Iron Man is my favorite Marvel movie after the Spider-Man trilogy and it's definitely worth seeing :thumbsup

My thoughts exactly, and to think I originally planned on watching Harold & Kumar >_>
Good thing I looked at some reviews first.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 03:39:08 AM »
Spoilers (just in case)

Movie was fucking awesome.  Ironman was never really a big Marvel Icon, but still.
Again, i never really watch trailers (except the dark knight trailers, cuz those are so good), so i had no expectations coming in.  I was blown away.

Agreed, i thought there'd be more action, but this is just the first movie in the series.  For sure they're gonna make more movies of it, and eventually
Robert Downey Jr. was perfect for Tony Stark.  I heard he read all the Iron Man comics to prepare for his role.  He also rewrote some of the script.

I like how Rhodes said "next time" and passed on the other iron man suit =) (he's War Machine, if you dun know).

Re: after the credits
I thought it was cool, but i dunno mans, Nick Fury is a white guy =)  It was soooo obvious who it was when Sam Jackson started talking.

And

WHERE WAS GHOSTFACE? =D  I didn't see his cameo

I can't wait for the Wolverine Movie to come out now.  I heard Deadpool is going to be played by Ryan Reynolds.  I think he suits him pretty well
word.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 07:04:43 AM »
well Ultimate Nick Fury was a black guy, and was actually modeled after Samuel L. Jackson (Yes I have to say his full name) so it was great to have him play it.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »
well Ultimate Nick Fury was a black guy, and was actually modeled after Samuel L. Jackson (Yes I have to say his full name) so it was great to have him play it.

haha, indeed he was!  I just wiki'ed it. pretty cool
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Nick_Fury
word.

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 05:50:33 PM »
Just watched this last Sunday and loved it! I loved Iron man as a kid and this movie exceeds my expectation =) I want an Iron man suit soooo bad~

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 08:06:25 PM »
I finally saw it and I loved it! Not only did Robert Downey Jr. fit Tony Stark perfectly, but he looked good doing it, too. Seriously. Not being a huge Marvel fan, I was blown away by this movie. It honestly makes me want to pick up on Iron Man (...after I make myself read Civil War...).

This alone makes me excited for the new Hulk movie.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline aggressorproto

• ecchi
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 11:40:10 PM »
Y'know, thinking about the future of that wee scene at the end with Samuel L. Jackson... if they're planning to do an event with an Avengers movie, maybe they're planning to do a couple of movies with Thor and Captain America, too. Thing is, tho... I'd rather see a sequel to this with Rhodes finally getting his wish as War Machine than an Avengers uber-event.

But then again... that's just me~

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »
An Iron Man-FF4 crossover would be nice, just to see how Tony would try to hit on Sue. :lol:

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline polidread

• slowpoke
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 03:08:07 PM »
but that would be horribly dumbing down the standard set by Iron Man,
as Fantastic Four was just awesomely ... meh~   :bleed eyes:

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »
What a positive surprise this movie was! I've never read any Iron Man comicbooks and the trailer wasn't too promising, so I wasn't really expecting anything good. Great mecha-action, especially the flying scene. And Gwyneth Paltrow was pretty as always.

coot is ctz

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 11:30:15 PM »
Y'know, thinking about the future of that wee scene at the end with Samuel L. Jackson... if they're planning to do an event with an Avengers movie, maybe they're planning to do a couple of movies with Thor and Captain America, too. Thing is, tho... I'd rather see a sequel to this with Rhodes finally getting his wish as War Machine than an Avengers uber-event.

But then again... that's just me~

They do have plans to do those movies, as announced by Marvel recently...

From Marvel’s report:

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.

Marvel’s Chairman, Morton Handel, commented, “Adjusting for the strong year-ago contribution from the Spider-Man JV, Marvel’s Q1 2008 operating results continued to demonstrate strong global demand for consumer products based on the Company’s portfolio of characters. Marvel’s self-produced feature film slate launched this past weekend with a performance that firmly establishes Iron Man as a major new film franchise, and the Company eagerly awaits the June premiere of The Incredible Hulk, Marvel’s second self-produced film. In addition, Marvel has been investing in other important areas of growth such as the Internet where, to lead the Company’s newly formed Global Digital Media Group, Marvel recently announced the hiring of Ira Rubenstein. Marvel has a strong foundation to build from, and the Company is adding infrastructure to maximize these opportunities.”

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Chirinuruwowaka - Hanamuke