JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Remote Controller

Author Topic: 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing THREAD [spoilers/results inside]  (Read 40373 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
STARTS 08.08.08

The 2008 Summer Olympics, officially known as the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, are an international multi-sport event, that will be held in Beijing, People's Republic of China from August 8 to August 24, 2008, and followed by the 2008 Summer Paralympics from September 6 to September 17. 10,500 athletes are expected to compete in 302 events in 28 sports.

DISCUSS TRIALS, PREP. THE GAMES. THE ATHLETES. THE CONTROVERSY.

Like I'm jacked to see Kobe lead the "Redeem" Team into battle.

Or the collective torch bearers shove a collective foot up the collective asses of those Tibetan protesters.

Such bullshit those hippies were ambushing the torch relay and a big FUCK YOU goes to Sharon Stone and her karma blast. Yeah right an athlete whose trained 4+ years is gonna boycott, and know the issues beyond what the fucking media tells you.

Nice swimsuits.

Official site: http://en.beijing2008.cn/
GRAB THE MUSIC: http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=16540.0

DISCUSS TRIALS, PREP. THE GAMES. THE ATHLETES. THE CONTROVERSY.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:41:20 AM by tenkei »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing THREAD
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 07:11:32 AM »
^
They could have had better models for those swimsuits. :P

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:02:19 AM »
FUCK YES OLYMPICS!! i cant fucken wait man, anyone who listens to my show knows im a diehard olympics fan. this year i have a DVR so i plan to record everything i can!

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Kanki

• Kanki-tastic
  • Member+
  • Ooh La-La!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 10:32:25 AM »
I'm pumped!! And Tenten is telling the truth haha! XD  Did you guys hear about the 250,000 cheerleaders or something they're going to get?  Though they'll be cheering for other teams too apparently, not just China.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »
^ That is fucking sweet. I like cheerleaders. Here's hoping for lots of cheerleader shots. :wub:

So even tho i went on a 3 week vacation in Tokyo i still managed to convince my boss that i needed 2 more for the last 2 (finals baby) weeks of the Olympics. I WILL FUCKING STAY INDOORS AND WATCH EVERYTHING!! WOOO!! :rockon:

I do think the time table will be perfect for me as well. Fuck yeah Beijing, lets do it!

Carro better grab some gold. I predict atleast 2 or 3 Swedish gold medals (not counting the five billion swim things) in total. And the yanks better go home basketball champs. Time to step up, or gtfo boys. But my real hope is in the Kallur sisters, mostly coz they look awesome on TV. I would not mind and all:

[/url]

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:22:52 PM »
^ Just waiting on some more shots of the type above :)

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:19:41 PM »
Can't wait to see the opening ceremony!

Offline Kanki

• Kanki-tastic
  • Member+
  • Ooh La-La!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »
I agree with Barrie, the opening ceremony is one of my favorite parts of the whole dealio!  Is it sad I have my countries of rooting in order?  1.) USA (duh) 2.) Sweden (my 2nd home now!) 3.) Japan 4.) Koreaaa

I am PUMPED!

I can't remember, but do they do everything live or is it usually pre-recorded and sent to us?  Like will the west coast still get the feed 3 hours after the east coast etc etc~

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:06:31 AM »
bigger sports air live, iirc. so like swimming, gymnastics, some T&F stuff... but other things that they dont really give much coverage to usually just get recaps during other things with maybe some important clips and stuff

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 12:18:57 PM »
Yeah I remember staying up like crazy early in the morning trying to watch a couple events live in past olympics :lol:

I used to be crazy into it, but now I'm not so hyped for some reason, but we'll see what happens when they actually start!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 04:34:48 AM »
Having watched and compared both the Canadian and American broadcasts of the same games, I can definitely say that the Canadian broadcasts have traditionally aired more live broadcasts of events than the American ones, which tend to tape the "bigger" events so that they can show them in "prime time".  During the last few Olys (both summer and winter), there were several news reports here where Americans living in states directly bordering Canada stated that despite the large difference in hours, they still preferred watching the live Canadian broadcasts over the taped American ones.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »
Everything will be probaby be aired in the middle of the night here. That's the only downside of having the games in China. But I guess the could do a 're-live' or many summaries. It's all good.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 04:30:40 PM »
I personally couldn't give a flyin' fuck about the Olympics..
Gone are the days of Olympics being about "Sportsmanship" and "Amateurs".. Now it's all "Pros, drugs and money"..

And why the fuck is "Baseball" an Olympic sport, and "Cricket" isn't?!?! Oh yeah, that's right.. Americans play one but not the other..
Quote from: wiki
Cricket is one of the most widely played sports in the world. More than 120 cricket-playing nations are recognised by the International Cricket Council.

The only good thing to come from these Olympics, will be more awareness about how badly China is treating Tibetans..
Quote from: Save Tibet
Human rights conditions in Tibet remain dismal. Under the Chinese occupation, the Tibetan people are denied most rights guaranteed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights including the rights to self-determination, freedom of speech, assembly, movement, expression and travel.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »
^ You forgot about womens Softball. Don't forget the ladies.

But fuck that shit. Nobody gives a rats ass about cricket. If they're gonna play cricket they might as well keep going an extra month. Also IBAF has 112 Baseball-playing countries, which makes them just as eligible as the tea drinkers. And please will people stop raping one of the most beautiful international events in history of man (not saying you are Gjr) with the China / Tibet thing. Nobody should be treated badly and they need to resolve that issue, but letting the Olympics take the heat for it is just down right wrong. Nuff said about that. Over to more important things:

What are your most anticipated sports in the Olympics?

I'm totally looking forward to the Basketball, Athletics, Gymnastics Artistics, Womens Volleyball, Womens Beach Volley, Football, Handball, Judo, Wrestling, Table Tennis and Boxing.

Oh shit it's going to be so awesome. Just checked up on my vacation and i'm just working three days during the olympics. You and me baby, it's all you and me.

And fanservice:
[/url]

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »
Double post coz life is awesome and nobody posts in this amazing thread! I now have vacation throughout the whole thang. Even the Opening Ceremony. FUCK YEAH!

Schedule:

Stolen off: http://en.beijing2008.cn/schedule/

You can find Time Schedule's in .xls for each sport on the schedule (se url above). Use a time zone converter or your head to know when each sport is in your local time. Beijing is GMT/UTC +8.

Also: "NBC Sports promised that China is planning to stage the most spectacular opening ceremony ever seen, featuring 15,000 performers and directed by Zhang Yimou (“House of Flying Daggers,” "Hero").

“I have been told that no matter how spectacular others have been, and there have been many, that this is uber-spectacular,” says NBC primetime host Bob Costas.

“Even if they pull off 75% of their plans, it will truly be over the top and it should be something that that anybody who sees it will never forget,” added David Neal, executive producer, NBC Sports."

UBER-SPECTACULAR!!! FUCK YEAH! :rockon: I so love uber-spectacular!

And more tanned girls playing with balls in the sand: :drool:

[/url]

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 06:42:19 PM »
And please will people stop raping one of the most beautiful international events in history of man (not saying you are Gjr) with the China / Tibet thing. Nobody should be treated badly and they need to resolve that issue, but letting the Olympics take the heat for it is just down right wrong

I feels weird for me to be agreeing with Guchi... XD

But yeah. A lot of the recent crackdown has been in order to make sure that there are no disruptions so that China looks good during the Olympics. How many people were tortured, raped or murdered to ensure that no one holds up a 'Free Tibet' sign or Snow Lion flag during the opening ceremonies? 1000? 10000? More? Is it worth that to you?

If that's the sort of thing the Olympics chooses to endorse, then they deserve to take the heat for it.

In the Vancouver Olympics they're already dealing with native groups and including all sorts of aboriginal artistry and themes in the ceremonies. How many Tibetan themes should we be expecting?

I'll still be watching the Olympics and rooting for Canadian and American athletes. Its their one chance to compete, and they did nothing wrong. I'm not going to put the Tibet thing out of my mind though. Doing so would be disrespectful to their suffering and dishonest to myself.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:28:07 PM »
How many people were tortured, raped or murdered to ensure that no one holds up a 'Free Tibet' sign or Snow Lion flag during the opening ceremonies? 1000? 10000? More? Is it worth that to you?

If that's the sort of thing the Olympics chooses to endorse, then they deserve to take the heat for it.
I don't think i need to answer that question. I don't think anyone need to answer it. Actually i feel a bit offended that you even asked.

So yeah... anyways. It still saddens me that people aim their anger at the Olympics and the Committee, when they're not the one in charge of whatever wrong doings. As a matter of fact they're trying to stop it. Questionable if they're doing enough. But they're not the ones to put the blame on in my opinion. It is obvious that they have nothing to gain in whatever happened/happens.

Obviously putting innocent people through pain or even killing them is something I am totally against. Accusing someone or something wrongfully of something is also something I am totally against. People should react to whatever is going on, but taking it out on the wrong thing is totally uncalled for. Just coz some people take advantage of something like the Olympics, does not make the Olympics itself bad.

The Olympics is and will be a great event for the world to come together. Usually the host country does it without controversy, like last time in Athens. This time, unfortunately, there is controversy, but it is not about the Olympics, the Committee, the athletes, the thousands of people giving their time and effort making this great event. Thus should they not be the ones to blame. They've done nothing wrong.

I will watch it. I will take in the greatness, the emotions, the joy, the power of seeing the world compete in a spectacular fashion. Also, like always, my thoughts to those treated unjust, not only in Tibet, but all over the world are always so close by. But they have nothing to do with the Olympics.
[/url]

Offline Kanki

• Kanki-tastic
  • Member+
  • Ooh La-La!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 04:57:55 AM »
Thank you for posting that schedule, Sev!! 

I don't know much about the Tibet-dealio to give my full opinion.  But, I'm kind of with Sev in that it isn't the Olympic's responsibility to fix it.  They do so much in trying to help with humanitarian acts and make sure things are being done well.  It's not the committee's fault or deal to be worrying about the Tibet-China thing.  I think it's awful what's going on there, but people need to take that up with the government and leave the Olympics out of it.  The Olympics is supposed to unite everyone, and they're doing what they can (I feel) in regards to that issue.

I personally couldn't give a flyin' fuck about the Olympics..
Gone are the days of Olympics being about "Sportsmanship" and "Amateurs".. Now it's all "Pros, drugs and money"..

And why the fuck is "Baseball" an Olympic sport, and "Cricket" isn't?!?! Oh yeah, that's right.. Americans play one but not the other..

Angry much?  If you don't like the olympics, then don't post in this thread.  I still believe in the olympics about being for sportsmanship and all.  Though I don't think anyone in the olympics has ever been an "amateur".  They do so many tests to try and prevent athletes from drugs and cheating, I believe in the Olympics.  Also, pros are there, but what about those Cinderella stories?  For example, the US men's gymnastics team just lost one of their top athletes and now a runner up gets to go in.  What if they get a medal?  How is that not amazing?

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »
Results from yesterdays womens soccer:

Group E:
Argentina 1 – 2 Canada (Fucking Canada and their awesome womens team.  Was looking seriously good yesterday.)
China PR 2 – 1 Sweden (We need a new goalie, she fucked it all up.)

Group F:
Germany 0 – 0 Brazil
Korea DPR 1 – 0 Nigeria

Group G:
Japan 2 – 2 New Zealand (What was starting to be a huge upset, but ended up a tie, through two late goals by the jap girls.)
Norway 2 – 0 USA

Also, check out Lotta Schelin, #8 in the Swedish team. I'd let her play with my balls. :roll:

[/url]

Offline Kanki

• Kanki-tastic
  • Member+
  • Ooh La-La!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »
For soccer being supposedly one of the top sports in Sweden, girls need to step it up dammit >:O

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Remote Controller