JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: D-51 - Bakkanaru Time

Author Topic: (Band) Dir en Grey  (Read 19893 times)

Offline Kikuru

(Band) Dir en Grey
« on: August 21, 2006, 08:34:03 AM »
Just saw them in concert at the Family Values Tour...FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!!

I was gonna get their autographs but the line was huge and you had to by a cd to get in the line...:-x :(

Edit: And now I've got a horrible sunburn too...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 08:39:13 AM by Kikuru »

Offline Imperx

• Addicted to Reina
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 10:36:35 PM »
Dir en grey are one of my favorite bands I wish I could go to the Family Values Tour! :pencry:

Offline Kikuru

(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 10:56:11 PM »
Ya...It was crazy!

That line was the most Japanese ppl ive seen in one place.

I want their shirts tho...its the one with all the band members from their legs down and it says Dir En Gray on the back

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 01:16:56 AM »
Saw them in New York. Kicked ass.

Baba Booey

Offline Kikuru

(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:35:02 AM »
is that him in your sig?

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:29:47 AM »
Yep. From Blitz 5 Days

Baba Booey

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 07:24:13 PM »
Here's a little review of yesterdays concert in Pittsburgh.

Arrived a little after the doors opened. Two friends and myself quickly went to the FYE booth to get an autographed CD. With that you got a wristband for the meet & greet after the show.

After that we preceded down to the pit area. As we were walking in, my friend Nick slapped me on the shoulder and pointed at the side of the stage. What was there you ask? Kyo. He was off to the side of the stage watching Bullets and Octane. Well, the three of us started to yell his name, trying to get a response. We couldn't have been more than 10 feet away from the guy, but he wouldn't look out way. After a minute or two, he finally glanced over, smiled, and gave us a head nod. Very cool.

Bullets and Octane were ok, but the next band Deadsy was possibly the worst thing I have ever seen live. On the plus side, the freaky bass player kept me laughing the whole set with his devilish face gestures.

Bury Your Dead was also ok, but every song sounded the same. I did enjoy the one guitarists David Lee Roth like acrobatics.
I didn’t mind 10 Years, but by the time they came on all I could think about was that Deg was on next.

Finally, it was time for Dir en grey.
The pit was only about 1/4 full, but there were a lot of people there just to see them, which was pretty cool. There were lots of screams as their banner was raised and the crew set up their instruments.

After what seemed like 20 minutes, G.D.S. started to play and all the deg fans went crazy.

As the boys entered I noticed something that agrivated me for the rest of their set.. They wouldn't even give the people that were there for them a glance. I was right in front of Die and yelled his name, pointed at him and threw the horns almost the whole time and he didn't look down once. The same goes for everyone else in the band, minus Kaoru (he was on the other side of the stage, fuck!) who was actually giving the fans what they wanted. He did all of his signature metal moves for the fans and was the only one trying to get them pumped up.

Minus that little gripe, I really enjoyed their set. Too bad they didn't play any new songs. I still wonder what that song they played in NYC earlier in the year was.

Some standout moments:
Kyo did his little scratching of the chest thing, which freaked out some of the non-fans
Kaoru and his metal poses
Kyo holding the last note pf The Final for about a minute
Toshiya, Die and Shinya didn't really do anything worthwhile
Wish they had interacted with each other at least once. Lame

After the concert we went to the meet and greet place and waited for about 45 minutes for Kaoru and Shinya to show up. Everyone screamed when they came in and Kaoru looked straight at me, I threw him the horns and yelled and he game me an awesome metal look. That guy rules. Should have been on his side of the stage like I was in NYC. The handshake thing went at turbo speed. I could barley get out a "thanks" as I shook their hands. Kaoru and Shinya were all smiles, though. Which was refreshing.

Overall, I enjoyed it. Not as good as the NYC gig in March, but I had fun.
If I had one piece of advice to give the boys it would be to lighten up and just have fun on stage. Smile a little. It won’t kill you
Set list (not in order)
G.D.S.
Saku
Dead Tree
Merciless Cult
Ryoujoku no Ame
Audience Killer Loop
The Final
IIID Empire
Mr. Newsman

Ok, that was a little longer than I thought it was going to be.

Baba Booey

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 05:44:03 PM »
This band is great. I saw them @ RAR 06.. kicked ass. I like them better live than on cd.. more energy in the live shows

Offline tetsu

• ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »
I've heard this band for a while but didnt bothers much about them,and then one day i listen to "ryoujoku no ame" song,it rock.

Offline robber

• the Who?
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »
Dir en Grey is a kickass band! They're awesome.... except the new song Agitated Screams of maggots is not the best......
never saw them live, but i would like to, maybe on the Wacken Open Air 2007...
and I'm waitin' for their new album Marrow of a Bone, i hope it will be great! Like the other Albums.... i doesn't matter if it's more metal like, i love them and their music!

Offline Hades

(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 05:58:02 PM »
I really like this band is one of my fav. and i can't wait to see them at the Wacken Open Air in German this summer!:heart:
The new album is AWESOME and the bonus disc, too! Kyo's voice it's just amazing.I recommend the album to everyone love j-rock!:)

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »
Ah, I may get some stick for this but it's what I really think so...

DeG aren't even a shadow of theband they once were anymore, a lot of people say they've sold out with their new style but there's plenty of bands that change from the VK style, however, it'd be stupid to say that their decision to try and break into America didn't influence this decision.

I don't want to get into the whole thing of whether they've sold out or not, but one things for sure: their style has changed, and in my opinion it's not for the better. Gauze was a simply genius album, lyrically and muscially, they were one the first VK band I listened to and I liked them for being different from any other band out there. However, now that lyrical wit has gone and now they just sing about rape etc, which sure they did before, but at least the lyrics were well thought out before, now they just seem to do do it for the sake of it. In the early days they were different simply because they were, now they try to be different and say "look at us!" which makes them just the same as a lot of other American hardcore bands.

I still do love their older stuff and Gauze is probably my 3rd favourite album of all time, but I honestly think they've gone downhill, it started with Vulgar which although was a great album, showed the signs of where they were going. Withering to Death was an average album but went further down a road I didn't want them to and now with The Marrow of a Bone (I think that's the name) I really think they've messed up, it's the onbly DeG album I haven't bought. I know that there's plenty of people who won't agree with me but I just feel they've lost their own uniqueness.

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »
Well, if Dir en grey ever really "sold out" it was when they released "Gauze." I mean, the songs, the production, it was all so manufactured with the sole purpose of making it big it's not even funny. What indies band has Yoshiki produce half of their album? Slap that Yoshiki name on there and you're sure to get a bunch more fans thanks to it. Quick cash grab if I've ever seen one.

About the American influence, sure they have been influenced by western bands; show me one band that isn't. They are also influenced by Japanese bands. If you want to get technical, a lot of people say that they ripped off their whole gimmick back in the indies days from Kuroyume and The Stalin. And I don't understand how someone can think their new stuff is a way to make it in America. It's so weird and different from most everything in America these days it will never have anything more than a cult following. I think people confuse bringing their music to a new audience with trying to make it big in so an so country.

What's the different between a well thought out song about rape and a straight forward song that mentions rape. They're both dealing with the same fucked up subject matter.

If anything they're much more raw now, which is what I like about the new stuff. The whole "fuck you if you don't like it" attitude. That's what they were lacking back in the day. They've been going this direction ever since Kisou (my favorite Dir en grey album btw). The only thing I miss about the older stuff is that Shinya's drumming isn't as creative as it once was. It's mostly just super fast stuff, which I like, but I would love to see more of his creative side.

Don't get me wrong, I love their old albums. I also love their new ones. I love the fact that they change with each album and evolve into something completely different.
Don't agree with me? That's ok. I still like you. We need to break down this wall between the fans of the old stuff and fans of the new. Peace :)

Baba Booey

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »
Firstly it's good to see you haven't flipped out like most people do.

Quote from: BradVickers;310991
Well, if Dir en grey ever really "sold out" it was when they released "Gauze." I mean, the songs, the production, it was all so manufactured with the sole purpose of making it big it's not even funny. What indies band has Yoshiki produce half of their album? Slap that Yoshiki name on there and you're sure to get a bunch more fans thanks to it. Quick cash grab if I've ever seen one.

A good point, although to be fair they're hardly gonna pass on the chacne to have Yoshiki produce their stuff are they? Like I say I'm not really one to talk about them selling out or whatever as my views on that are pretty complicated at to be honest I just can't be bothered typing it all out :P

About the American influence, sure they have been influenced by western bands; show me one band that isn't. They are also influenced by Japanese bands. If you want to get technical, a lot of people say that they ripped off their whole gimmick back in the indies days from Kuroyume and The Stalin. And I don't understand how someone can think their new stuff is a way to make it in America. It's so weird and different from most everything in America these days it will never have anything more than a cult following. I think people confuse bringing their music to a new audience with trying to make it big in so an so country.

I agree about the fact that they will undoubtedly have been influenced by American bands, as well as plenty of others from the likes of Japan and the UK. But that doesn't mean to say that they're the same as them you know? From what you said we'er obviously just gonnahave to agree to disagree but I honestly think there are plenty of bands that DeG sound like now that I consider to be just very average or poor harcore bands, whereas before I felt their sound was more unique and it was that which drew me to them originally. Fair enough if you don't agree that their stuff is similar to things in America, but I think it's much more similar now than it was a few years ago, I think they've chanegd through time anyway but I think America obivously influenced their sound to what it is now too. It'd be foolish to say that they haven't chanegd their sound to try and make it into America at all as the band even said it themselves, in fact only Kyo was opposed to abandoning the VK style at the time.

What's the different between a well thought out song about rape and a straight forward song that mentions rape. They're both dealing with the same fucked up subject matter.

I think that's a bit of a silly thing to say, the subject matter may be the same but think of all the songs about love that are out there. By far the most comon subject for a song, but a well-written one will sound much better than the usual mass-produced rubbish that's out there. Songs like Embryo shows hints of genius lyrically, yet I look at songs like Clever Sleazoid and just feel that Kyo is wasting a lot of his talent by changing his lyrical style.

If anything they're much more raw now, which is what I like about the new stuff. The whole "fuck you if you don't like it" attitude. That's what they were lacking back in the day. They've been going this direction ever since Kisou (my favorite Dir en grey album btw). The only thing I miss about the older stuff is that Shinya's drumming isn't as creative as it once was. It's mostly just super fast stuff, which I like, but I would love to see more of his creative side.

I guess this is just opinion, that's what music's all about, you prefer the new attitude, I prefererd the old...I guess we'll just leave it at that. :)

I have to agree about Shinya's drumming though, I think Shinya is a fantastic drummer and much like Kyo I feel he's wasting his talent right now.

Don't get me wrong, I love their old albums. I also love their new ones. I love the fact that they change with each album and evolve into something completely different.
Don't agree with me? That's ok. I still like you. We need to break down this wall between the fans of the old stuff and fans of the new. Peace :)

Same here, I loved the fact that the style could change so much between each album, hell between each song. But to be honest I feel that isn't true since the days of Six Ugly, I think they've sounded very similar since then. Saying that though I love Six Ugly and Vulgar, just for me the previous two albums haven't been as strong musically or lyrically.

And I love you too.:heart:

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »
Yeah, instead of filling up this thread with pointless arguing, we'll just agree to disagree. Hah, something more Dir en grey fans should learn to do. That's why I tend to stay out of the Dir en grey boards at other forums.
Just some random things to ponder over...

I have friends who are totally into the hardcore scene and they hate Dir en grey, both old and new. On the other hand, I have other friends who think they’re great.

I'm probably more open to the new sound because I love metal. My musical tastes are pretty varied; I like everything from Morning Musume to Megadeth, so I like both soft and heavy. I will say that I'm not a big fan of Withering... I like a few of the songs, but overall I don't really dig the album. Vulgar I love and I've been playing the shit out of Marrow.

I've seen them live three times. Their first showcase tour last year in NYC, the family values tour in Pittsburgh, and last week in New York. They put on a hell of a show each time. Although, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to hear any old songs. If they had played "Jessica" or something like that I probably would have exploded in my pants. But there's nothing like screaming "one day I will fuck your parents!!" with the whole crowd. Hopefully one day they will go to England, so you can give it a try.

oh, you should check out the bonus disc that came with Marrow of a Bone. I think that you'll like it. I'll upload it if you need it.

Baba Booey

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 09:40:08 PM »
That'd be awesome actually nice one.
Yeah I can't see them coming to the UK anytime soon but I'd still jump at the chance to see them if I could, everyone who I know of who's seen them live ahs said they're awesome and from the sound of their shows, they really would be. Shame to read that about Toshiya, Die and Shinya at the live you went to watch, Shinya was always one of my favourite members and I always thought that (obviously only from videos) the whole band seemed to have a great stage presence.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
I'm not a big fan of this band. I don't know. Some songs I like and some songs I just hate. I guess I like the sound of their new stuff better, but I like Kyo's vocals on older songs. It seems now he just wants to abandon any trace of conventional singing and just wants to scream and growl words.

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 10:10:20 PM »
Here's the bonus disc. Hope you enjoy.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hffzzo
I'm a Kaoru fan (have one of his guitar models) so I tend to go to his side of the stage. He still does all the rock moves/faces and just kicks ass all around. Damn Die... Knew I should have gone in front of Kaoru at the Pittsburgh show. Well, at lease I got to shake his hand. That was awesome.
They all were much livelier at the New York concert. Restored my faith in them :) .

Baba Booey

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 10:15:12 PM »
Quote from: StreakInTheSky;311077
I'm not a big fan of this band. I don't know. Some songs I like and some songs I just hate. I guess I like the sound of their new stuff better, but I like Kyo's vocals on older songs. It seems now he just wants to abandon any trace of conventional singing and just wants to scream and growl words.

Check out the bonus disc I just posted. There's actual singing on it.

Baba Booey

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
(Band) Dir en Grey
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »
Thanks a bunch for that, I'll let you know what I think once I've given it a listen.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: D-51 - Bakkanaru Time