JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - Week

Author Topic: War... War never changes. (The official Fallout thread)  (Read 44355 times)

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
"This isn’t an invention, it’s a responsibility. We need to study this, and if we find that it will help mankind move peacefully forward, then we shall share it’s teachings, because we are not only men of science, we are men of hope."

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: War... War never changes. (The official Fallout thread)
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 08:05:33 PM »
Ok, this is old news, but anyway...

Release Date Announced for Fallout 3

Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, announced today that its highly anticipated title, Fallout® 3, will be available on store shelves and online in North America on October 28, 2008 and in Europe on October 31, 2008.

I heard that the German version is cut, so I really hope that German version isn't the same as "Euro" version (as it was with Fallout 2). Otherwise I have to order the game from the States.
coot is ctz

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »
Five New Gameplay Videos

Colour me impressed. Though I'm still heavily invested with Oblivion and probably will be for some time, so this may have to wait! :lol:

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »
I was just mildly intrigued but after seeing those vids I'm getting it for sure. The radio playing oldies... got some Bioshock vibes right there, which is nice.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 06:11:43 AM »
This games looks almost perfect so far.

Still wondering about that auto-aim system though

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 01:32:35 PM »
^ I'm slightly more concerned with the actual run and gun mechanics. Every time I watch these videos and see a gun fired at an enemy in real time, there doesn't seem to be any kind of connection. You could get away with it in Oblivion because melee combat was probably the primary way to go about killing enemies and the combat they had there works well. Not so sure if you can get away with it in Fallout.

What also grates me a tad is how brown everything looks. Now I realise you can't have rainbows in a post-apocalyptic world but I hope there's something in the world that's pleasing on the eye. Besides, virtually every other game has this grey/dark monotone sepia over the game which Fallout does little to distinguish itself from.

But then what do I know? I've always maintained that I'd rather have a game be ambitious rather than just play it safe all the time. Despite it's flaws, I still loved Morrowind and Oblivion, both of which I still play to this day.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:35:20 PM by Tuffty »

Offline Sazaki Ren

• Member+
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »
^Yes I did enjoy Morrowind. But my pc didn't work well with Oblivion(being too old and all...) but Oblivion was good too(as far as I could see...) but this Fallout IMAO has nothing to do with older Fallout series... But if you look at this game separately from the Fallout series - then I think it's good enough for me to want to play it...

Thanks to PHARADOX for the sign :wub:
My own Art Corner
My H!P Blog

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 08:39:21 PM »
I got a call today, saying they got a package for me. Too bad it was 5pm and i was at work.
I asked what it looked like, and they said it was square-shaped. So either someone sent me a pair of sneakers, or she had my apocalyptic lunchbox. :P

I'll have to wait 5-10 more hours till they deliver it again tomorrow. Lucky I requested 1 day compensation leave in advance. :lol:

It's my first net-buy, so I'm still worried it's region-coded (there's always a chance). If it is, then I'll need to go out and get another copy. Which is kinda heavy, since i haven't even played the original 2. :)

Update: NOOOOes!! it really was region coded.... i'll have to get another copy. at least the making dvd and stuff is nice.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:27:30 AM by winner »

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 09:17:32 PM »
So i finished the story last Saturday.

Overall i'm satisfied with this game. It was pretty from the early in game movies that this game will be more alike Oblivion than anything, and it is. Story was a bit short, maybe 20-25 in game hours and i really tried doing and completing all side quests during that time. I think you can run through it under 10 hours easy if you stick to the main story and skip the side quests (which are the best.).

Good graphics, great sound and some new fresh ideas. Lots of content and great interaction between NPC's. I also noticed very few bugs, such as NPC walking into walls and the likings. It happened, but not often. I wouldn't mind more content tho. There might be ALOT more in the game, but unlike Oblivion, the game itself doesn't really help you find all the side quests and such.

Lots of violence and great dialogue, with a BIG minus in the fact that you can't kill youngins. Takes away part of the freedom these sorts of game represents, but it's all good. I'm satisfied with what it gave me for sure.
[/url]

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 09:34:55 PM »
Lots of violence and great dialogue, with a BIG minus in the fact that you can't kill youngins. Takes away part of the freedom these sorts of game represents, but it's all good. I'm satisfied with what it gave me for sure.

While having the freedom to do stuff like that is a nice thought, the kneejerk reaction to this by the media is really the last thing any sensible minded gamer would want. With games a lot more realistic looking than ever, it's easy for people to shout 'Won't somebody think of the children?!' and bend over backwards to be offended by it, perhaps leading to a possible recall and removal of scenes. When people get outraged over a game trying to tackle the subject of the WWII concentration camps, hell, when people get upset of a sex scene in a game, you know the gaming medium is just not at that level to be accepted by society as a serious medium of interaction. It needs a large positive outlook on it from the media, which it won't get if it continues to draw away potential viewers from watching the TV by playing on consoles instead.

Rant over XD Back on topic. A lot of great reviews coming in so far for Fallout 3 but with so many games on offer at the minute, and considering I haven't finished with Oblivion, I think I may just leave it for a while.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 11:41:27 PM »
got my copy today..gotta get started playing it!

wish I got the lunchbox, I'll buy that later :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 07:03:46 PM »
Just got this yesterday.

I thought that after playing Morrowind and Oblivion that I would be better prepared for this, but I'm still as lost and daunted by the gameworld as ever! :lol:

So is there any tips for a newbie like me? I've already fixed leaks for the water maintenance guy in Megaton so I have a sweet deal for exchanging scrap metal for caps. Travelled to the NW to deliver that letter for the girl too, but wasted nearly all my ammo on raiders who attacked me! The big question I gotta ask though is, is there a cheap location for a bed? I know Moriaty's (sp?) Saloon in Megaton can rent out a room, but it's 120 caps!! Not ideal for a newcomer to the world like me! :lol:

Oh and I already feel guilty and ashamed by my actions cause...

*SPOILER*

I got the Sheriff of Megaton killed. I reported the guy who wanted Megaton blown up to him and after taking him in for arrest, the guy shot him while his back was turned. Then he told me I made a big mistake and ran off :( Then I realised the sheriff had a son, so I indirectly made him an orphan :( :( Still, at least I got his Assault Rifle and his cowboy hat :)

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
lol tufty, u shouldnt have turned that guy over (i think you can just shoot him anyway) if u defused the bomb or w/e. the sheriff give u the house for free and a personal robot lol.

and dont worry about caps. you'll get a lot more later in the game and items as well.

you shouldve just turned the girl over in the vault and the game will end just right there LOL

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »
I remember choosing the same as you Tuffty.
Got a free house at Megaton later in the game. Don't remember how though, defusing the bomb as Mugen said should be it.

Last time I played I had only been to 4/9 of the world map, it's just so crazy big. And I just can help doing every side-mission i stumble into, really got my money's worth on that!

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »
i think i need to start all the way over..this way i can reset everything. anybody know what i should start upgrading on first?

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »
lol tufty, u shouldnt have turned that guy over (i think you can just shoot him anyway) if u defused the bomb or w/e. the sheriff give u the house for free and a personal robot lol.

:o I want a robot! I could have called him Mr.Roboto. But I wasn't to know, I thought I was doing the right thing! Next time I see the guy, he's a dead man! I'm gonna get my revenge on not getting Mr.Roboto! :lol:

At least from my experiences so far, there's one thing Fallout has that's superior to Oblivion. The fact that you don't hear the same NPC voice actor every minute! :lol:

Man I really need to find a bed. Dangerously low on health in the Wastelands and currently staying in Big Town, a place under attack by scavengers and Super Mutants :(

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 05:26:08 AM »
i think i need to start all the way over..this way i can reset everything. anybody know what i should start upgrading on first?

A few general tips

Make sure you have Intelligence skill at 9 to start. That way you will get the most skill points when you level up. You will be able to pretty much max our your skills by the end. Its also boosts repairs and medicine which are very important. Charisma is useless so don't bother with putting points in that. You can get a perk later on that gives 5 luck so don't go beyond 5 for that. Agility, strength and enduranceare are important for combat.

Do all the sidequests! Fallout probably has the greatest side quests in any game ever. Most are really thoughtfully put together, fun and unique. Not thrown in to add length like some games. Plus the main story is fairly short if that's all you focus on. Do the Wasteland Survival Guide side quest in megaton first. It's a good way to get experience/discover new areas.

Find the brotherhood outcasts as soon as possible, every time you get extra technology you can fast travel and trade with them for stimpacks. By the end of the game you will have hundreds and essentially be indestructible. Remember to drink water to conserve stimpacks too, just make sure to lover your radiation level if it starts to affect you.

Most important make sure you always use VATS. Don't play it like a first person shooter unless absolutely necessary. :lol:

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 08:55:55 AM »

:o I want a robot! I could have called him Mr.Roboto. But I wasn't to know, I thought I was doing the right thing! Next time I see the guy, he's a dead man! I'm gonna get my revenge on not getting Mr.Roboto! :lol:

Forgot to say, you get the robot with the house. No need to reset just for that.
Big town is pretty hard. especially for just starting, good luck there. Wonder if they fixed  the exp bug there, I went crazy on that. :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2009, 12:27:19 AM »
Wow. Just went through one of the most affecting gaming experiences ever on my last playthrough. Allow me to explain:

**SPOILERS**

[bgcolor=#000000]I thought I did the good thing. Roy Phillips and his gang of ghouls just wanted a better life at living in Tenpenny Tower without being unfairly discriminated against. Roy wasn't kind to me but I figured it would be the honorable thing to do. And I solve things through non-confrontational methods when possible so I talked to each important resident and managed to sway them into living with ghouls. Some were open and accepting of living with them while others were exposed as bigots so I drove them out with words, Tenpenny Tower was no longer going to be a place where the snooty, abhorent, higher class individuals look down their nose upon others over something they have no control over. Just me making my own impact in the Wasteland.

After returning several days (in game) later to Tenpenny Tower, I was pleased to see Ghoul Residents walking freely outside the main entrance. But then I walked in, and noticed not a single human resident. No Chief Gustavo. No Doctor Banfield. Not even Tenpenny himself. Something was wrong. I confronted Roy who mentioned that the ghouls and humans had 'disagreements' but he managed to 'solve' the problem. Was he really saying what I think he was? I later found another ghoul, Michael, who mentioned a smell coming from the basement. Oh no...I go down there and was immediately set upon by a Feral Ghoul, quickly dispatched, but found the bodies of all the human residents in the room. And it genuinely affected me. Thinking back of Doctor Banfield, who wanted to live with the ghouls in the hope that he could carry out some research for the benefit of the Wasteland. Or of Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood, the retired adventurer, who just wanted to see his best friend again after been seperated for so long. All of them, the remainder of individuals who placed their trust in my word and they were betrayed, by that anti-human bigot who casually massacred everyone even after acheiving a peaceful solution. I confronted him about it and he was quick to insult me once again. It was the last straw. Amazingly I lost karma at the decision, but there was a deep sense of personal satisfaction when I pulled out my combat shotgun and slugged 3 rounds into the head of that decrepit son of a bitch.
[/bgcolor]

Sorry for the long description! Just needed to rant! XD Had another epic moment of spontaneity in that playthrough when I accidently discovered a raider camp, more so, a raider camp holding slaves. But even more than that! A raider camp, holding slaves, AND A SUPER MUTANT BEHEMOTH?! Perched on top of a cliff I observed the camp with my Sniper Rifle and realised there was too many to deal with, but for the Behemoth? I took just one shot at a nearby power generator as experience showed that doing so can power out electrics in the game. And sure enough, the electric fence was done, the Behemoth was free, and all hell just broke loose. By the time it was killed, there was only 1 raider left. May have missed out on XP, but it was so sweet to watch a plan come together  8)

Oh and I got Dogmeat!  XD It was a real 'AWWWW' moment when I found him. Who's a good little nuclear holocaust survivor? Yes you are!  XD

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 12:35:47 AM »
Reply to Tufty's spoilers

*SPOILERS*

LOL how did u get that kind of conclusion to the tenpenny tower thing. Mine was that they managed to live with each other except tenpenny got thrown off the tower. Other than that, Banfield and the rest who welcomed the ghouls stayed fine peacefully.

i loved the raiders slave camp part. I killed all the slavers in there  :grin:

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - Week