JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: WINK - Furimukanaide

Author Topic: The Web Browser Poll  (Read 77467 times)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Re: The Web Browser Poll
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »
Been using Chrome on my Android tablet, but I like still like Firefox better for my desktop.

Offline Shenjin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #201 on: December 03, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »
Switched from Chrome to Firefox and back to Chrome. Couldn't stand Firefox Startup time.. Chrome feels more slick for some reason  8)2

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2012, 08:40:18 AM »
just installed IE 10...doesn't seem to be any difference from IE 9...lol

EDIT- seems that web pages load a lot faster (and there's some spell check/grammar nazi thing cuz I spelled a lot without the space but it corrected it lol)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:48:15 AM by john_hung »

Offline vampireape

• ecchi
  • Do you really care?
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:59 AM »
Chrome definitely, Tab sync with all devices and OVERALL sync :bow:

Offline Sasshii

• Loli Hunter
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • http://sasshii.tumblr.com
« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
Chrome. I like how I can just type what I want to search in the url instead of having to go to google.com and what not. I used to have firefox but switched when google chrome first came out because of how fast it was.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »
Props to H!Pstah Tom_Green for this little gem!  :cow:

For Firefox users, have you ever come across a streaming video on YouTube (or on a similar site) that you wanted to watch, only to click "play" and find out that the video has been locked to only be playable/viewable in a specific country/region?

Get the MEDIA HINT extension, and enjoy the videos like a boss!  :peace:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
For anyone interested http://www.tomshardware.com ran their latest "Web Browser Grand Prix" to try and bring a little objectivity to the 'which web browser is best?' question. They benchmarked for Windows 7 and Windows 8 only so if you're using a different OS altogether then maybe you'd just like reading this article for the hell of it?

Here's the link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/web-browser-chrome-25-firefox-19,3459.html

Here's the tl;dr version:
chrome won.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2014, 01:40:53 AM »
I may just be demonstrating how old I am, but does anyone else here remember using Netscape?

Engadget - Whatever happened to Netscape?
- http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/10/history-of-netscape/

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2014, 04:41:29 AM »
Sure. Netscape Navigator was my browser of choice. I dodged IE till the very last moment, until jumping to NN's kinda-successor Firefox.

Talking about Firefox. The newest update basically destroyed all the sleek UI tweaks I made.
Using this add-on, it's nearly 90% back to what I was using. Give it a twirl if you're also troubled by it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2014, 06:20:21 AM »
Talking about Firefox. The newest update basically destroyed all the sleek UI tweaks I made.
Using this add-on, it's nearly 90% back to what I was using. Give it a twirl if you're also troubled by it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/
Yeah mine did that update earlier today. Finding that add-on has helped me retain my sanity. :yep:

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2014, 01:50:00 PM »
I may just be demonstrating how old I am, but does anyone else here remember using Netscape?
Watching the stars falling down past the lighthouse was amongst my favourite forms of entertainment when I still had dial-up.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »
Hey everyone, it turns out that there's now a Firefox version of the "Unblock Youku" add-on that had previously only been available for Chrome! :thumbsup
- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/unblock-youku/

The original Chrome add-on, for anyone who was curious, can still be found here:
- https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/unblock-youku/pdnfnkhpgegpcingjbfihlkjeighnddk

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »
Whenever I start up Chrome for the first time and try to put in a URL, the browser freezes (and shows the 'loading/wait icon') for like 15 seconds before I can continue typing again.

It only does whenever I start Chrome for the first time after turning on my laptop. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Offline BX_LeMans

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »
At the moment I'm running parallel Firefox and Opera 22.

I need FF, because it has a good plugin for youtube and that damn blocking of foreign music here. Plus, Opera doesn't work with some pages like loading no pictures...

On Android I have Chrome running. The free alternatives all aren't satisfying, some slow, some with bugs or just not userfriendly.
I'm not the signature, I'm just cleaning here.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2014, 03:52:51 AM »
Whenever I start up Chrome for the first time and try to put in a URL, the browser freezes (and shows the 'loading/wait icon') for like 15 seconds before I can continue typing again.

It only does whenever I start Chrome for the first time after turning on my laptop. Does anyone know what's wrong?

That used to happen to me quite often and for downloading a pic it would always freeze for the first pic. What I've been doing lately is when I log off Chrome at the end of the day is to delete the history plus someone mentioned on settings to check the Send a "Do Not Track" request with your browsing traffic box, seems doing those things have solved the problems.

Offline wanderingwanderer

« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
Chrome, used to be a fan of Firefox. But since Chrome pretty much handles all my needs, I switched. I found being able to google search by just typing anything into the address bar come in handy. Although pretty sure other browsers can do the same with the right settings.

Offline hiten

« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »
I want to move away from Chrome, but haven't found the perfect replacement. Used to run Firefox, and then Google created Chrome, which was definitely faster than Firefox.

Over couple of years, I had tried to go back using Firefox, but it was definitely slower than Chrome. With Chrome, I only need to restart my browser every few days, but with Firefox, I have to restart it every couple of hours before it becomes very sluggish (Note: I run them on a quite old laptop, so it might have effect).

Looking forward to the development of Firefox "Quantum" and also Brave (which is fast and blocks ad+tracking, but still doesn't support extension). Hopefully one of them can become good enough to replace Chrome.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: WINK - Furimukanaide