JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hologram - Bird

Author Topic: [discuss] You still watch cartoons?  (Read 45643 times)

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
[discuss] You still watch cartoons?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2005, 10:22:54 AM »
Now boys, no fighting, or I'll.... um, can't really do much.   :evil:

I like the old cartoons for the nostalgia, and the memories associated with growing up while watching those very cartoons.  Like how we thought certain jokes were funny at the time, and now all we can do is shake our heads and remember what they meant to us when we first saw them.  If I were to see something stupidly cheesy for the first time right now, I'd turn that shit off faster than "Fuck the Police" while driving by Tim Horton's parking lot.

Now I also like the new cartoons because of the better animation, random pop culture references (like Disney does now), and edgier storylines.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but we all should agree on this:  Captain Planet is a big blue fag.   :D

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2005, 10:34:00 AM »
Quote from: oldboy
Does anyone remember Dr Katz?

Yes.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2005, 10:38:11 AM »
Quote from: TheQuickening
Anyone remember the Smurfs?  Considering the fact that Smurfette was the only chick there, you know she had to be a major HO!

Dude, but they're all gay!

Offline Thrillho

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 04:45:11 AM »
Quote from: oldboy
Does anyone remember Dr Katz?

I saw Dr. Katz a few months ago and the two paitents in that episode were Ray Romano and Dave Chapelle. I thought it was cool that two of today's biggest TV stars were on the same Dr. Katz episode.
Everyone\'s entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2005, 09:09:46 PM »
Old-school TMNT kicks the SHIT outta the new one!!!  I mean, in the new one, the turtles never eat any new, fucked-up pizza topping combos (at least I haven't seen them do that during the few times I've watched it).  Sure it's nice that there's a little more action, but in the old-school eps there was sleuthing, puzzle-solving, and HUMOUR!!!  I mean, the whole "dinosaurs from space" thing the new one does was dumb, IMO.  Sure the old-school eps had dumb shit too (remember 100-ft Irma?   :lol: ), but at least there, IT WAS FUNNY!!!  

daigong's right, too much seriousness isn't good for a show, especially if it's a cartoon.  Cartoons are aimed to ENTERTAIN little kids, not JUST show fight after fight after fight.  

I have to admit though, I DID like the new-school ep they showed this past Saturday, where Donatello is transported to the future, and the other turtles are old and not what they used to be, but they still have the ability to bring it to the table and beat the Shredder!!!  Lots of drama and action, which is good, once in a while.  But not ALL THE TIME.

SPOILERS - IF ANYONE DOESN'T WANT TO KNOW DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING:
Leo STILL kicks ass even when he's blind; and Michaelangelo with the one arm?  Fuckin' shit.  Splinter and Casey Jones dead?  That sucks.  

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 02:14:41 AM »
YEAHH...that's the way shit should go. Deliver the best smack.

How I can't get tired of The Flinstones, I dunno. Like the one where Fred is called to head the jury and the con theatens to kill him if he's convicted.

"I object to the ground that the witness isn't speaking loud enough!!" but poor Fred, no matter how hard he tries - he's forced to go along and convicting the con. "FLINTSTONE! I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS!!"

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 07:01:22 PM »
Quote from: Masashi
I guess you don't watch anime. Check out Berserk and tell me with a straight face that it's aimed to kids.

Up to this point, this thread was NOT about Anime, but just cartoons in general.  Most of the posts here in particular talk about old school NORTH AMERICAN cartoons (notice the references to TMNT, Captain Planet, Smurfs, Centurions, all of which are/were North American made).  So your comment about anime, while valid, does not really apply here.  Now if you want to start up a new thread for just Anime...*hint hint*,  that'd be sweet.

LoveHaruru

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 07:37:06 PM »
Quote from: daigong

It's all about camp. The cheesy humor just makes the old cartoons better.

It's not 1985 anymore.  Also, people today, both old and young, would disagree.  Comic books always had amazing storylines and sometimes serious undertones.  It's about damn time cartoons followed suit.  

Example:  

JUSTICE LEAGUE >>>>>>>>>>> SUPER FRIENDS.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 11:49:22 PM »
Man, I totally miss 1985.  Actually, I miss being as young as I was back in 1985.  Just running around in kindergarden without giving two flying fucks - except for when it came to watching oldschool Transformers, amongst other shows.

The cartoons today certainly outshine the old ones in production value, storyline, all that shit - but NOTHING replaces memories and sentimental value.  Man, I could go for a screening right now.  :popcorn:

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2005, 10:56:37 AM »
WTF?

Super Friends >>>>>> Justice League.

Coz they have Wonder Twins.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2005, 08:44:51 PM »
There was an episode of Justice League where a few of them were in some warehouse with mannequins, and two of the mannequins were of the Wonder Twins!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   They even had their goofy smiles and everything!

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2005, 10:59:37 AM »
It's the sister who can change into water, right? What if she changed into a glass of water and somebody accidentally drank her? What would happen?

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2005, 04:42:44 PM »
The brother turned into water. The sister turned into animals.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »
Oh really? That's not very manly...

Wonder Twins are so gay anyway. That's why I like them. :D

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2005, 03:27:28 AM »
Quote from: Boxy Brown
The brother turned into water. The sister turned into animals.

It would've been funny to see him get pissed out of someone.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2005, 09:55:14 AM »
Quote from: tama-chan

ARRGH!! You know I never watched Super Friends until last nite. It DOES suck. Actually, Justice League Unlimited looks a bit more promising. Minus those new wonder twins Hawk and Dove...Supergirl is mighty hot:

Venutre Brothers debuted like a few weeks ago and I actually caught an episode. AND I LOVE IT!! Fuckin hilarious. And when the guy who does Joe Swanson from Family guy is part of the cast, it can't be too bad??

Watching the episode where Dr. Venture wants to get his mojo back so ends up at the strip club. While Brock loses his Secret Agent license. I loved that Dr. Girlfriend with the deep voice. :thumbsup

LMFAO !!! When Dr. Girlfriend was seducing Dr. Venture, the arch villain watching them was like rubbing himself then ended up  :jerk:

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 06:24:28 AM »
I remember the Centurions.  THey show it on boomerang I think.  The one with the guys with the armor that could get spare parts added to it.  The plane guy, sub guy and some armor land guy.

I remember these toys/cartoons do you?  Visionaries & Inhumanoids

I stick to watch anime more.  Plus-
Teen Titans, Xiao Lin Show Down, Mucha Lucha, JLU, Old school Batman Animated series.

I'm too old. :(

Offline auroragb

• Erien Probe
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2005, 11:36:58 PM »
Quote from: daigong
Quote from: tama-chan

ARRGH!! You know I never watched Super Friends until last nite. It DOES suck. Actually, Justice League Unlimited looks a bit more promising. Minus those new wonder twins Hawk and Dove...Supergirl is mighty hot:
C'mon superfriends are from 30 yrs ago.  When animation standards were VERY different.  So it can hardly compare with the animation from today :)
Comprehensive 2006 Jdrama fansub index | 2007 Jdrama fansub index
HP Chinese FC Website guides: Free membership | Paid FC membership | shopping
Yes! You can join from pretty much anywhere in the world

Offline topdawg712

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2005, 07:02:37 AM »
heck yeah I still watch cartoons, although the toons of today aren't even close to being as good as they used to be. the two cartoons that I watch the most of now is spongebob and avatar: the last airbender. some of my favorites used to be the transformers, the real ghostbusters, the original teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon, and GI joe. Here's a site that has a lot of old 80's cartoon themes, movie trailers, and even commercials.

Offline chin0bo

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2005, 03:48:32 PM »
i like teen titans and for some reason i tend to watch recess a lot guess it just entetaining to me. i also like stuff like south park and the brak show and all the stuff on adult swim which includes : Aqua teen hunger force, Harrvey Birdman and basically all of adult swim.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hologram - Bird