JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Base Ball Bear - Girl Of Arms

Author Topic: The Boss Fight Thread  (Read 12514 times)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
The Boss Fight Thread
« on: January 26, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
Haey yaey thought it might be fun to discuss some boss fights: annoying ones, tough ones, weird ones, whatever... But remember spoiler warnings!!!

I got the idea when I was randomly thinking about FF6 earlier today. I remembered that while I beat the final boss and finished the game, it was pretty fricking close. :lol: I only had one character alive, Terra, and she had all these status changes on. So I guess I made one desperate last attack move and beat the boss. If not for that one attack, it would've been game over. It's the only final boss fight that I still remember. :lol:
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: The Boss Fight Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
Most bosses in WoW aren't that bad, though some have some nasty tricks. I've never done Heroics, and apparently it gets a lot worse. The biggest problem with WoW bosses is that someone isn't familiar with nasty tricks they do, and then everyone in the group will suffer. "lol oh they go invulnerable until we kill these other things they make? kekeke" :bleed eyes:

SM Cathedral was a pain back in the day. Lots of crap before the boss, then effectively three bosses to fight at the end. Keristrasza in The Nexus is annoying for my mage, because I have to jump after each cast (and pray the healer is on the ball incase of lag). If you don't move/jump you'll die right quick.

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 06:17:45 PM »
When I first played Kingdom Hearts II, I almost died on the last fight with Xemnas because I only used the Reaction Command and not both (the Attack button and the Reaction Command XD).
That annoyed me a lot, after I find that out :angry: My cousin freaked out as he saw my HP decreasing rapidly... o_o

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline xerony

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »
They final battle in baten kaitos.
Maybe didn't lvl enough AND there is luck involved :banghead:

Online Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »

Posted these in the DS thread before... some of the more original Henry Hatsworth bosses.

Real men don't fight... they SING!   XD

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »
Can't say boss battle without adding Sephiroth.
It was one of the earliest 3D games for that console generation. So seeing a 2-min attack as overboard as that simply made me go:
:on lol: "Sephy, you won~"

[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTc9sLmOR0A[/noembed]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 06:50:15 PM by winner »

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »
Lol heroics.

As a raider I haven't had much experience (only 1 expansion pack), but I think the Yogg-Saron encounter is probably the best designed encounter, ever. It's a perfect balance of gear requirement, skill requirement and overall raid competence. It's a phase-based encounter (like most raid encounters), but the difference is it happens in order, so you had guilds working on Phase 1 (out of 3) for like 3 weeks. Personally we spent a bunch of weeks getting nowhere, and all of a sudden through sheer luck nearly got him down at 7%.

What really amazes me about the fight is how scalable it is. Ulduar was the first raid in WoW to have actual hard-modes that gave better loot, and YS had 4 different degrees of difficulty. Here's a video:

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:52 PM »
Cool thread. ;D Hmmm, my favorites...

The third colossus in shadow of the colossus. When he first stood up :shocked: then you finally get on his head and he's trying to shake you off and you can just see for miles and miles. The Great Mighty Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day is also a memorable one. Then of course there's the cleaver Psycho Mantis fight from Metal Gear solid.

I also remember the first time playing Metal Gear solid 3, the sniper battle with the end I couldn't find where he was. I ended up not playing it for a week or so and when I came back he was dead of old age. :lol: Then the Sorrow [bgcolor=#090909]where you have to face all the people you killed during the game. If you snapped their neck then it was all twisted. :0[/bgcolor]

Oh, and the end of Half Life 2 episode 2 against all the striders was epic. Pretty much all the bosses in GOW2 and Bayonetta are epic too.

The hardest for me was those horseman in Ninja Gaiden, I tried like 20 times but eventually I just gave up.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
Hmmm the strangest "Boss Fight" I can remember must be the End Boss from Rule of Rose.
After the initial "WTF! That's it?" moment I thought it perfecty suit the game >_<

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 12:58:15 AM »
Devil May Cry 3 had some really great boss monsters. Cerberus, Beowulf, Nevan. But the best has to be the first confrontatiion with Vergil. Brothers fighting to the death admist a thunderstorm and it was fast, frentic and one of the more challenging boss fights, as it should be considering Vergil is pretty much Dante's equal.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 09:55:34 AM »
I remember playing Bubble Bobble the final stage, fucking BAM!! as soon as you touch the guy your dead

and I couldn't get enough lightning bolts SO CLOSE!

Offline whiteleppard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »
I still haven't been able to beat the last boss in Ninja Gaidan.  Three Forms, A Time Limit, And One Try till you have to start all the way back three levels.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
Having raided more in WoW: The Twins in ToC are annoying to take down, if people don't listen to instructions (DBM, people actually don't use this -_-). My brief attempts in ToGC make me wary of reaching them on that difficulty. ICC is fairly easy (done 5/12 up to Festergut + Dreamwalker), assuming you know how to avoid fire or which mobs to target. Think the most interesting fights there (that I've seen) are with Precious, and Dreamwalker. I do want to get to Putricide though.

25M ToC on the Heroes is probably the most fun, just for the chaos.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 06:08:44 PM »
Well since I completed it, pretty much any boss fight in Bayonetta is as epic as you will ever find.

The weirdest/easiest boss battle I had was against Mysterio in Spider Man 2.

I saw all those health bars go up and I was expecting a tough fight. Until, well, I'll let you watch for yourself.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 06:13:14 PM »
in Kindom Hearts Chain of Memories i never defeated Riku, what a pain in the ass for a fight... only in this point of the game i realised that my deck was lame, useless

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 02:26:13 AM »
Well since I completed it, pretty much any boss fight in Bayonetta is as epic as you will ever find.

When I saw this thread I just though of you Tuffy, and the Bayonetta bosses, I knew you would mention them  :twothumbs
They were by far one of the best I've seen in any generation of games, of course, given how much more powerful the systems are gives them an edge, but also, thinking how the 360 came in 2005 (end of) and just in the end of 2009 (released in Japan) someone came up with something this great!

I hope more games give us bosses like the ones of Bayonetta and Poseidon in God of War 3!

Back to bosses, anyone played Valkyrie Profile 2 ?
I was thinking of the last boss of the game the other day, just like most Tri-Ace games, the last bosses are a pain. In this game I remember I had to fight it like 8 times just to barely beat it, over an hour (almost two) trying until finally I got him to kiss my feet!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
May have mentioned this in the Castlevania thread, but one of the hard boss battles in Order Of Ecclesia was against a boss called Brachyura, a giant enemy crab

I kept dying trying to figure out it's attack pattern but whenever you kept dealing enough damage he'd introduce a new attack I'd have to learn and try to avoid, and also had to keep climbing the lighthouse, with less platforms to jump across without being hit. Needless to say I died a lot, and had to retry a lot too :banghead: But the way it ends is just spectactular. Shanoa reaches the top of the lighthouse to find an elevator which you have to flip the switch to, and when you do you hear her say 'Go to hell', and then suddenly the elevator rapidly descends from the top of the lighthouse to the ground, forcing the crab down with it until it's crushed to pieces.

I actually cheered as it was happening XD One of the most satisfying moments in all gaming for me.

Offline Tyler_Wood_2005

• N.L.N.L (Nono Lover No Longer)
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 07:09:05 AM »

I wonder if anyone ever did this without the use of any continues...

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
Monster Hunter

HARD BOSS BATTLES - THE GAME

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
One of my favourite boss monsters is Nemesis from Resident Evil 3. After playing RE2 I didn't think anything could surprise me so much, but sure enough Nemesis was the one to do it. Anyone who's played it knows of the police station. Walking along a corridor, everything quiet until Nemesis bursts through the window with a freaking rocket launcher in his arm. I hightailed it outta there into the next room thinking I was ok. And then he bursts in through the room, running at me and chasing me down. Knowing that I was terrified of him showing up at any point in the game, which he did quite frequently. There's something chilling about knowing that there is this strong enemy lying in wait out there, whose raison d'etre is to kill you, and is completely relentless in doing so. The game did some nice camera shifts at times so you can see Nemesis chasing you as you're running from him, your health is in caution status and you know that he's faster than you and his punches really hurt.

I think the most fun I've had in a RE boss battle is against Wesker and Jill, especially if you're trying to remove Jill's mind control amulet by yourself, on Professional as meowchi wanted me too. I never did succeed :nervous

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Base Ball Bear - Girl Of Arms