JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yui Aragaki - heavenly days

Author Topic: The Pendulum Thread  (Read 5839 times)

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
The Pendulum Thread
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:16:15 AM »
Pendulum

Pendulum are an Australian Electronic Rock/Drum and bass production group and live band originally from Perth, Australia formed between producers Rob Swire, Gareth McGrillen and Paul Harding. In 2003, they relocated to the United Kingdom. They have gained major popularity in the UK, and have started making a name for themselves overseas. After a shift in musical style incorporating a rock-oriented sound and more electronic influences (ranging from Dubstep to House music), Pendulum are now better known for their energetic live shows, with live band setup and advanced visual displays. - Wiki

Their new album comes out later this year, and it sounds a lot more like their older stuff.  Let's hear it for Pendulum  :rockon:

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:27:52 AM by LaJon »

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
Re: The Pendulum Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:20:19 AM »
Man, no replies for the Pendulum thread!?  :(

It's funny I always hear people complain about the added guitar and rock stuff but I'm like the opposite and completely love the variety in all the sounds they've done. Some of my favorites are:

Other Side
Propane Nightmares
The Tempest
Girl in the Fire
Prelude/Slam
Granite

Love their live covers and remixes as well.

"Watercolour" First single from the new album is pretty epic as usual. :thumbup

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »
the 'hardcore' drum n bass heads kinda lol @ pendulum

partially because they've found some bit of success, partially because to find said success, they've 'watered down' drum n bass to make it more accessible (drum n bass purists are super stubborn) - dj rap got the same kind of critisizm when her learning curve album came out since it wasn't pure dnb like was expected...i personally never payed attention to them because i was always into the more harcore side of drum n bass...tbh pendulum can kind of be considered 'starter' drum n bass (i.e. the real dnb heads who've been into it for the past 15 + years will lol @ u for admitting u like them cuz ur a n00b zomg)...

imho they've kinda watered dnb down alot to appeal to 'the masses' so to speak...cuz let's face it, most 'normal people' (for lack of a better term) simply do not like 'true' dnb (much to 'real' dnb heads), so a dnb act come along that non-dnb heads like is like omfg wtf is this (drum n bass purists are not only stubborn but kinda narrowminded to a certain degree )- they think that the fact that they worship repetitive dance music when they're not in a club makes them holier then thow - the moar obscure and unknown the dj/producer who made a song, the better, and they're moar cooler than u cuz they have that super obscure song on vinyl

oh yeah that has to be mentioned...drum n bass heads cannot comprehend the fact that vinyl is a dying medium - VINYL WILL NEVAR DIE ZOMG (refusing to see that technology has moved on from the 70's - VINYL SOUNDS BETTER AND IF YOU CAN'T SEE THAT YOU'RE A NOOB)...

haha listening to their first single Vault on teh youtubes  - the inclusion of that little swing-beat is why that tune made it so big (at the time there was a dnb song called bodyrock which had said swing-beat (at the time was zomg groundbreaking and was copied by lots of dnb producers - much loved for being different, but at the same time hated for being too different)...

i don't know, i just see too many people whose first taste of dnb is pendulum and think that all dnb is like that...and 99 out of 100 times are taken aback when they learn that it isn't...

lol bitter ex dnb head rant  :rofl:

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 12:00:10 AM »

lol

Offline yooshimen

• Member+