JPHiP Radio (33/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: So Nyuh Shi Dae - The Boys [JAPANESE ver.]

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 484068 times)

Offline [R-748]

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #2540 on: August 27, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
^ i did.. i scanned with avg and mse and after a full scan it recomended a reboot to fix the errors.. things seem to be fine but when i plugged my external HD i can't see any of the file folders except for the loose ones, the files that haven't been organized yet.. i tried showing the hidden files through folder options but every folder on my external HD are still missing.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2541 on: August 27, 2012, 06:27:15 PM »
^ Check the recycle bin.

2) Run a chkdsk (with repair option) but do it on a different computer

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2542 on: September 15, 2012, 02:42:59 AM »
I have a serious Wi-Fi issue here.  I got a Netgear WNDR4500 Wireless N router, WPA2-PSK secured network.  However I recently tried to connect my old, Windows XP laptop, but doesn't work.  Something about certificate and it always trying to "Validating Identity".   I cannot connect to the internet. it never even ask for the key. 

looking online, I even tried to enable the authentication 802.1x network thing,  but it's always been enabled. 

What else can I do? 

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2543 on: September 22, 2012, 11:55:43 PM »
I had a custom PC for 1 year, Windows 7.  I just built another PC and want to move my OS HD, with all my programs and file on it, to the new PC without rebooting.  Is it possible?  please give instructions. 
something with "Repairing"? I don't want to do a system recovery if it means it'll delete everything.  please give me instructions.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2544 on: October 16, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
Posted this at the Microsoft forum earlier and just edited, no responses though and was wondering if others have had this problem or problems and know of a possible solution, really don't even want to stay on it anymore as not sure if there's only so much time left for it before it dies out.

Screen is very dim, keeps going from bright to dark

This problem just started two days ago but is getting worse, my laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ50-215NR, problem is how the screen is bright for a while after the computer is turned on but then starts dimming to a grayish color, it starts to get back to it's original brightness but never quite all the way. It's very hard to read it, it's almost like how the sun gets blocked off by clouds then they go away and come right back, screen has that 'overcast' description. Have tried a few things, did a clean boot, a restore, ran some trouble shooting programs and still it's like this and may be getting worse, have had this for over 3 years now could age be the issue or are there hopefully some other suggestions that I can do to get the screen back to normal? Thanks for any help on this matter.

PS- Also it seems as though I may be losing power(?) or something like that, the computer tends to die out for a few seconds quite often as of late, for instance I can't scroll or type, don't know whether the two issues are related.

Edit: About that power issue, seems as though much of it is because of the battery, after this post had turned the computer off for about 2 hours and just turned it on, battery was at 100% but after 15 minutes it's gone down to 86%, says plugged in not charging, also have had this issue as of late and don't know why, earlier today it stayed at 100% the entire time I was on but now for some reason it's not charging, why would the % be going down if it's plugged in and not drawing the power from the battery?

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2545 on: October 16, 2012, 11:01:59 PM »
^It definitely sounds like a power issue.
Perhaps this link will help:
http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/laptop-battery-pack-drain-plugged/
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2546 on: October 16, 2012, 11:16:27 PM »
Thanks, no doubt the battery is dying out but not sure why it's affecting the laptop, just did a search with the question "If a laptop is plugged in is it okay to take out the battery?". Seems like 100% of the answers were yes, if you don't use your battery take it out, so going to try that, let the computer rest for a while then try it again without the battery.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2547 on: October 17, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
^^ Actually that solution of taking the battery out seems to have cured the problems I was having, running like it should right now with no power issues, have been able to watch videos and play games so if anyone else seems to be having problems like I did maybe that's one way to fix them.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #2548 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
My torrents have been super slow lately. Usually I get around 1.3MB DL speed, but lately I'm struggling to get 10 Kb/s!
Something is definitely wrong. The torrents have plenty of seeds and should have downloaded within minutes.

I'm using uTorrent 3.0. Any tips/tricks/ideas?

edit:

If I re-start uTorrent I get decent speeds for about a minute and then it dies again. It gets stuck around 9 kb/s :S It's barely uploading either...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:47:17 PM by SomethingWild »

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #2549 on: November 30, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
Don't know if this'll help. I'm using 3.1.

Actually, I've been running into a similar problem. I originally thought it was my ISP locking my speed for downloading too much or something.
But I've also had another problem when the torrent gets to 100% and stays "flushing to disk". later I found on the bottom-left corner of utorrent, it would say Disk Overloaded 100%, when the speed drops to under 10kb/s.
Searching online it says it has to do with the HDD cannot keep up with the download speed. And fix by disabling disk caching in the options.
Tried and so far the problem still occurs, so no fix for me. It seems to occur the most when I'm downloading a few big files at the same time.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2550 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:46 AM »
^ Its why I bougth a SSD and also am still using an old BitComit version: 0.64 for most of the downloads.
uTorrent had the promise of being 'light and fast' but it has a tendency to grab memory slowing down the whole system (might have changed, i'm still on v2.2.1 :) )

Offline TeriyakiBoi

• Member+
  • Fantasy Football Champion (3 in 5 years)
« Reply #2551 on: December 01, 2012, 04:09:57 PM »
I used uTorrent alot until recently when my ISP began sending me messages (for just the really "big" American stuff, not the J-Pop and other Japanese media) and I never had that problem.  Normally I would attribute slow speeds with my connection being dicked around with by my ISP or that the seeders have poor connections (especially countries like Brazil).
"Chicks dig the long ball" - Greg Maddux

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #2552 on: December 01, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
Yeah, it all started with the AKB48 - Tokyo Dome torrent, which is a massive 46 gig one.

I updated to 3.1 and now I have a wide array of new issues:
- It stalls or turns to a white screen when I try to add or delete a torrent
- uTorrent won't close down anymore
- It doesn't hash check, when you do it freezes completely
- It's not uploading whatsoever... As far as I can see everything is set to unlimited...

Interestingly I have been getting decent speeds on some other torrents, but it's very hit or miss... Mostly miss.
So yeah, getting ready to throw this shit out the window now  :nervous

Any good alternative to uTorrent which are accepted at JPS?

edit: here's a cap, focusing on the Tokyo Zenryoku Shoujo torrent from D-addicts, which normally dls in minutes...

edit: if I forcefully close it (cntrl alt del method) and re-start, it works at normal speeds (5MB!) for about a minute or two before it dies out and sticks at 9 kbp/s... so it must be setting related right?!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:32:19 PM by SomethingWild »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Making coasters...
« Reply #2553 on: December 02, 2012, 07:22:45 AM »
Been burning some DL coasters of late. I use ImgBurn.

From September:

And tonight:

I suspect it's the burner and not the media. Suggestions?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2554 on: December 02, 2012, 07:39:29 AM »

I think you know the conclusion already: replace the hardware.

Offline Shenjin

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Making coasters...
« Reply #2555 on: December 05, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »
Been burning some DL coasters of late. I use ImgBurn.

Yeah, pretty much your burner is dead. Get a new one :D. its pretty cheap

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
FACEBOOKY question
« Reply #2556 on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:11 AM »
Facebook inquiry, for anyone in the know...

Is it possible to post a message/photo/general post directly to a specific group WITHOUT it appearing in your general news feed that's visible to all your friends? Is there some kind of privacy setting for that?

I doubt it, of course. But I can dream...

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2557 on: January 26, 2013, 04:33:17 AM »
You can post it, then immediately delete it from your wall's news feed. Not sure how that would affect others though.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #2558 on: January 27, 2013, 04:11:21 AM »
You can post it, then immediately delete it from your wall's news feed. Not sure how that would affect others though.

Thanks Asmo, I'll try that out.

I was totally geeking out in this one community, post after post, only realizing later that ALL my FB friends were seeing these messages. Ack!

Offline RikoLiFan

• Member+
« Reply #2559 on: May 17, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
Anyone know of any file copy & paste accelerator?
Trying to copy a 1.75 GB AVI from c: to a thumb drive but is stuck at 3.28MB remaining

JPHiP Radio (33/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: So Nyuh Shi Dae - The Boys [JAPANESE ver.]