JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Holstein - December

Author Topic: Shenmue  (Read 11701 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Shenmue
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »
Very close to reaching $4.4m now. Some cool updates here:

- A non profit school in Guilin, China pledged $20,000 to the Kickstarter.
- John Sweeney, lead concept artist for Uncharted and The Last Of Us, got backing from SEGA to make a special print which is on sale. Anything made out of the sales between now and the end date of the Kickstarter will go towards the Kickstarter funds.
- Here's a teaser for a documentary being made on Shenmue

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
Oh wow the new $80 reward they just put up sounds really good! You get an in game item that allows you to call internationally to Nozomi (!!!), Guizhang Chen, Ine-san, Joy, Fuku-san, or other characters from Shenmue 1 & 2. That then unlocks phone conversations and flashback scenes available only to Kickstarter Backers. I can see a bit of a narrative forming against it already from naysayers saying it's expensive DLC locked on the disc but it's really not. It's something for the fans to give them an incentive to pledge a little more. Nothing more, nothing less. People actually buy DLCendings and characters/expansions/items/stages that fracture the player base in multiplayer games, and somehow getting the hardcore to pledge a little extra to get an optional conversation is somehow as bad? And if you don't want to pay for it then don't and watch the cutscenes on Youtube. Simple!

There's also an $800 reward that sounds cool if not for everyone.

SHENMUE PATRON - $800 In the oriental tradition of marking a pilgrimage to a temple by affixing one's name to the building, your name will appear on a Choubu temple in Chinese characters. The Chinese characters for your name will be approved by Yu Suzuki himself. Find your name tag on the temple and receive a special Technique Scroll! + Receive a PDF of your name in Chinese characters as it will appear in the game. Be part of the culture that is the world of Shenmue

Offline Jul3

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • 元564
    • Jul3rd
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
That film looks good, I used to watch those Happyconsolegamer youtube vids.

And yeah, that new reward sounds really good - and is definitely something only for fans of the old games anyway. Newcomers won't know who those people are, so it only appeals to old fans - which are just the kind who should be backing this project on kickstarter! I'm glad it's included in all the reward tiers above that, as well.

The Eurogamer article is really good, also. All this recent stuff has made me remember why I loved the first game.

Chihiro

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 08:04:59 PM »
At the time of posting there is 56 hours left in the campaign to go and luckily (hopefully), we've crossed over the $5m mark! It will add the Character Perspective system, something Yu Suzuki really wanted to have in Shenmue 3 so I'm glad that is the case. It's at this point I start to worry a bit because if you look at the stretch goals, there's a very big gap between $5m to $6m, with only Portuguese subtitles included in that range (although that is a good thing for those who want it!). And $6m is the Expanded Advanced Free Battle goal, so we're talking about making the fighting more in depth, which is an important goal to have! I worry that with few stretch goals leading up to it then the drive will dry up as people don't see anything to work towards and $6m is pretty far away that they might get discouraged. Plus, raising $1m in this space of time is already a tall order. It's been met at the beginning of the campaign but who can say what will happen. I do think it will beat Bloodstained as the most funded game on Kickstarter though and what an accomplishment that would be. It only makes it crazier that Sega haven't announced a Shenmue 1 & 2 release, the demand is clearly there (or maybe they are, who can say?)

Still, have to remember, Shenmue 3 is happening! And we're guaranteed a better game than what was initially pitched to us so that's good news. In better news, the team put out a new short teaser of their work on Shenmue 3!!!

Now I think the lighting from the fireflies is maybe too intense and the lens flare might be a bit much but I think it looks good! The models look closer to the originals at least. Plus this was made by a small team this early into the development, with more people being hired and the game won't even be out until Dec 2017. So still hugely early days. But again, I'm looking at Shenmue 3. It's actually happening.  :cry:

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
That zoom on Shenhua's ass is hilarious.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
This is it! The final stretch! It's at $5,770,746 with 63,770 backers making it the most funded video game project on Kickstarter ever, ahead of Bloodstained. There's 7 hours to go and I'm feeling more optimistic that the $6m goal can be reached now. Fingers crossed.

It is pretty amazing how much fans are prepared to dig deep. If you take the above figures the average amount funded per backer is around $90. People really wanted this to happen.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 11:52:08 AM »
And it's over! Successfully raised $6,333,296 USD with 69,320 backers. Let that sink in for a bit. Really amazed that we went over $6m. Slightly ruined by the fact that some of the high tier pledges like the dinner with Suzuki or the original jacket were troll pledges so now that money is no longer tied to the project and those rewards are left unclaimed (seriously, how sad do you have to be to deny someone that opportunity?) But don't let that take away from the fact that Shenmue 3 is happening (eventually)

In the final stream some more interesting info came out namely:

The 3D Modeler from Shenmue 1 and 2 confirmed to return for Shenmue 3
Paypal support will be open for people to keep donating to should they wish or even open for people who couldn't contribute now. That may hopefully go on to make the game even bigger than it currently is planned to be.
Next one might be a bit spoilerly so I'll put it in small text anyway Multiple playable characters

Offline Jul3

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • 元564
    • Jul3rd
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »
Yeah, they seemed to learn their lessons about the Twitch stream from last time, much better, apart from the power cut halfway through  :panic:

Your spoilery part they actually unveiled in the first twitch stream.

And yeah, last minute backers for the Watch and the original Jacket backing out with minutes to go... $5k and $10k prizes, and thus denying anyone else the chance to get these unique items is a really low thing to do. No respect there  :smh

Anyway, a huge amount raised! (6th highest kickstarter ever, and biggest videogame one) and hopefully now they can go ahead and make an awesome game! A lot of good stretch goals were reached (the next ones were all battle related ones, which I care about far less anyway).

There's load of Shenmue stuff for me to catch up on, as I haven't been following along recently, I want to read this interview, also http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/07/17/yu-suzuki-shenmue-iii-interview-e3-2015.aspx

Chihiro

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »
What's even more pathetic was that there were fans of Bloodstained who didn't want Shenmue to overtake the title of the highest funded video game on Kickstarter because...well, I don't actually know other than blind fandom, I haven't seen any good justification of it. There was cases of troll pledges from people like that the whole way through. That's not reflective of all Bloodstained fans mind you, I pledged towards that as well and I'm super excited for it. But you know how fans can be. Christ we're talking about Kickstarter rivalries now. This fucking hobby...

Saw another negative piece on Kotaku as well just after the target goal was reached which was along the lines of "Shenmue 3 is the most funded game on Kickstarter but they still want your money!!". So, you mean to say a Kickstarter project in it's final hours wants to make as much money as possible to make it the best product it can be?! Shocking! I won't link the article as it generates views for it but the content of the article was just as negative saying how it leaves a bad impression on the campaign to still be asking for donations after the record was broken. Something which has never ever been brought up about Bloodstained or any other Kickstarter project that I see so I don't know why Shenmue 3 was targeted at. Kotaku is a place where reporters can generate opinion pieces and that's fine, but this was so petty that it really left a sour impression. Sadly the message of Sony largely funding the game is still going around and I don't think you can change those people's minds.

But enough neagativity! Shenmue 3! Woooooooo

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
I think we'll never know whether Sony will fund the rest needed to get to 10 million..

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2015, 02:09:59 AM »
I managed to get my support in the last few hours after some issues with them not taking my bank card, but no matter!

I really did want to support a lot more, but I'm going on holiday next month so this came at a really bad time for me, but I went for the S3 Phone Card option because I wanted a "...yeah" long distance phonecall with Nozomi  :cow:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 12:57:31 AM »
The Point is a great series on Gamespot and their recent one about Shenmue 3, was very well done.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
Haven't updated in a while but since then, they've announced a slacker backer campaign were people can pitch in via PayPal and have their donation go towards funding more of the KS stretch goals

They also revealed today that Kid Nocon is part of the Shenmue 3 development team. The reason why this is good news is that he's already done some fan work to making a Shenmue HD project and it's looked great. Here's hoping that translates well to Shenmue 3.

Offline Jul3

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • 元564
    • Jul3rd
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 12:22:05 AM »
I haven't been keeping up since the end of the Kickstarter, but this was an interesting interview with Yu Suzuki: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-04-i-could-do-with-a-bit-more-money-yu-suzuki-on-the-return-of-shenmue

Chihiro

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »
I could do with a bit more money too..

tbh though problem with most Kickstarters is that after the initial excitement I kind of completely forget about it.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 10:04:35 PM »
It's still hard to imagine Shenmue 3 is happening and part of me won't be convinced until I put a physical disc into my PS4 but these screenshots and video taken from a recent event makes the wait that much harder.

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4

Offline Jul3

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • 元564
    • Jul3rd
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 01:51:25 PM »
New teaser trailer!

It's looking amazing. I love how it has the Shenmue look and feel, like it's still on a Dreamcast, but some idealised version of what you remember the Dreamcast to look like. Hearing that music again really got me. Hyped!

Chihiro

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Holstein - December