JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: BoA - Still

Author Topic: Controversial Gaming Opinions  (Read 11802 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Controversial Gaming Opinions
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:38:34 AM »
We've all got them so let's share them. Post your statements that you feel go against popular opinion and a brief description to explain why. It can be on games, people in the industry, the way the industry is going etc. This is a strictly no-friend zone, let's try not to get the topic too heavily bogged down with debate. I'll get the ball rolling by saying that:

- Bioshock Infinite is not a great game: While it has a number of enjoyable aspects I liked, Infinite is a definate step down in comparison to the first two games. Aside from the Skylines the combat system was dumbed down and just wasn't exciting as the enemies just seemed like bullet sponges who didn't react to where you shot them and a lot of Vigors are just like the same from the first game but with different replacements e.g. crows instead of bees. The combat was made worse by playing it on Hard, by giving enemies too much health and damage output which forces you to play peekaboo behind cover and discouraging you from experimenting with Vigors, slowing down the pace to unbearable level. Giving you two guns to carry was a terrible choice as you're often finding ammo for guns you don't have access to. I've also mentioned this before, but it also has one of the most poorly designed boss fights I have ever seen in any game, it was just awful. Even the much lauded story didn't do anything for me. Anyone who seems to praise the story only ever refers to the ending and seems to forget that the other 10 hrs of the game leading up to that point is just dull, pretty pointless and for all the issues it seems to raise, like racism, it doesn't seem to go far enough. I never felt a connection to Elizabeth and the efforts the game took to make you care for her felt incredibly forced (the guitar scene being the worst offender). I think it's massively overhyped.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
Re: Controversial Gaming Opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 05:36:33 AM »
^ OH FUCK NO TUFFTY  :angry: :lol:

Some I thought up~

- Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best Metal Gear Game and one of the best games ever made
- Zombies are lame enemies
- Fable 3 was fantastic so was Mass Effect 3 2 was the disappointing one
- Crysis 2 was so bad, so boring that it literally gave me a headache to play (that eeeeeeoooooo eeeeeooooo violin they played every 2 min ugh)
- Both Gears and Uncharted series don't do much for me. Played the first 2 because of all the accolades and came away "that's it?" every time. Skipped the third of both
- Fallout 3 and NV shit all over Elder Scrolls games
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:59:23 AM by zoolander »

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:04 PM »
Dark Souls is an extremely overrated game which is pretty good once you get the hang of it, but by no means the best game ever like some people say, or even the game of the year it game out. In fact for a "solid as nails" "ultimate gamer challenge" the game goes relatively easy on you.
It is by no means a roguelike RPG and after a rocky start where you don't want to play it anymore, it's relatively smooth sailing unless you hate doing things over and over, which I do. I even beat the gaping dragon while cursed, go me.
Dragon's Dogma is a MUCH better game, boss battles are much more epic and fun and I miss it everytime I play Dark Souls and run around swiping at the butt of all the bosses and repeating the same actions over and over.
If you want a real challenge, you need to be the guy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wanna_Be_the_Guy

Tomb Raider sucks, every single one of them :D

Batman Arkham City does not deserve a 10/10 score.

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:56:04 AM »
The THQ-published, AKI-developed wrestling games for N64 were vastly overrated. I hated how slow they were, how blocky the characters looked, and how difficult/impossible it was to counter/defend and perform certain moves. The only one I enjoyed was WWF No Mercy, and that was mainly because of the in-depth create-a-wrestler system and a well-made survival mode rather than the actual gameplay (which admittedly was improved over the older games thanks to all the new gimmicks and moves introduced to the actual WWF at the time)...and even then this game was horribly tainted by a bug that constantly erased save data.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
BORDERLANDS 2 SUCKS BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET IT TO RUN SMOOTHLY ON MY BRAND NEW COMPUTER SIMPLY BY INSTALLING IT WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. I AM NOT A TWEAKER, I BOUGHT THIS COMPUTER SO I WOULDN'T NEED TO TWEAK. SO BORDERLANDS 2 SUCKS.

... :D :D :D
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
- I had more fun playing FFXIII than playing FFIX. IX was just boring to play on top of having the least interesting story in the series.

- As someone who's played Halo 1,2 & 3, I don't think I will ever understand anyone who says the Halo games have a brilliant story. I didn't know what was happening or why. Nor was I given any reason to care.

- Heavy Rain has the worst story I've seen in a big budget video game. Bad voice acting is one thing but lazy writing, inconsistent character motivations and laughably outrageous 'twists' and plot holes result in a story that's not even bad, it's dishonest. It outright lies to you. Yet people love it. I don't understand it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:21:58 PM by Tuffty »

Offline Mucca

• Go! Amazon Goddess!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 10:12:39 PM »
- I had more fun playing FFXIII than playing FFIX. IX was just boring to play on top of having the least interesting story in the series.

Kind of along those lines: I had more fun playing FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII than I did FFVI. FFVI is a fun game. It's a solid game. It is not, however, the bedrock of civilization. (I feel the same way about Chrono Trigger. Maybe because I didn't play Chrono Trigger or FFVI until several years after they came out.)

Actually, I feel similarly about Earthbound -- I don't get why it has the following it does. And I say that as someone who was right in Earthbound's wheelhouse. I love quirky RPGs; I had Earthbound as a kid and loved it. But you'd think Nintendo cured cancer when they announced the digital release of the game.

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 11:04:49 PM »
I completed FFX one time, got bored, then played X-2 for around 3 months straight until I got 100%

All those dress spheres and jobs and switching! and singing! yeaaahh! :D

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
Man, some of you people have some CRAZY opinions  XD

FF8 is my favorite Final Fantasy.

I'm trying to think of opinions I have that go against popular opinion. I bet I'll be back in here.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
- Catherine was not as hard as many people would like you to think

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
- Final Fantasy VII is overrated  :lol:
- Any game by Namco sucks
- Super Mario 64 is overrated
- In fact, pretty much everything on the N64 wasn't that great  :nervous
- Every Sonic related game ever isn't that good either. Why he was supposed to rival Mario I'll never understand.

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 10:01:25 PM »
-I'm tired of seeing Phoenix Wright in the Ace Attorney games. Show some more Apollo Justice.

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 01:18:15 AM »
- despite it's flaws and all the flak it gets from other players and critics, I think Diablo 3 is a good game and it's a lot better than Diablo 2

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 06:19:21 AM »
- Every Sonic related game ever isn't that good either. Why he was supposed to rival Mario I'll never understand.

At this point, I'd say it might be even more controversial to declare any Sonic game as good, considering how many people trash the franchise nowadays. :P
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »
Resident Evil 6 is a pretty good game, that while being less good than RE5, is still a solid 7 or 8 out of ten and is still decent to play.

I really hate the idea that that is a "bad" score for a game, or that being anything less than 10/10 game of the year!!! results in people joining in on the hate train for it, or dismissing it as bad. It really isn't. I wonder if these people have played an actual bad game before, or even know what one is.
I mean, part of why people bitched and complained about RE6 being a let down was the release of the much better Revelations earlier in the year for 3DS.
Capcom made that too, you know? and it was really good? why is everyone mad? lol.

This sort of thing, and the games media in general jumping all over things, like Sonic games, Capcom & DLC (when most companies do this), or the dreaded JAPANESE GAMES ARE TERRIBLE which went on for at least a year.

Take Sonic for example, the last 3 games that came out in that series were really great. I mean I know Sonic 2006 was a god awful launch game for the 360 and they had a string of games on the Wii with silly titles (I have no idea if they're bad tho, as I haven't played them yet) but anytime anything Sonic related comes out, people and games journalists flip the fuck out and it's DURR HURR LOOK ANOTHER TERRIBLE SONIC GAME HAHAHAHA.
Sonic Generations, Sonic Colors, and Sonic & SEGA Racing 2 were freaking great.

Sonic & SEGA Racing 2 is better or equal to most modern Mario Kart games, but is available on non Nintendo systems, and Nintendo systems that don't have a Mario Kart game out yet. How the fuck is that bad?!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
- Virtua Fighter is the best fighting game series
- I liked the elevator scenes in Mass Effect 1

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 01:29:33 AM »
Vanquish is the best third person shooter of last generation.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »
I think this is pretty controversial: I don't enjoy combat in Sleeping Dogs. :lol:

... Thus, I don't particularly enjoy Sleeping Dogs. >_> I got 83 minutes in the game and don't feel like investing more...

Tuffty, people don't like the elevator scenes in ME1?!? My only issue was that there was one elevator where the game might get bugged, so that was sucky if it happened, and I learned to save before using it. lol
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 02:35:51 PM »
Oh people hated the elevator scenes! They were a nice way to disguise load times between areas and added some personality to the characters, which I really enjoyed, but people took issue with it because the elevator scenes themselves were pretty long. Also, some people really just found it fiction breaking in that, you have a setting where it is faster to cross from one side of the galaxy to another then taking an elevator between two floors. :lol:

Here's a controversial gaming opinion based on what I've read lately, I think anyone, anywhere should be welcomed into the creative process of games creation or into gaming journalism and critique, regardless of their age, gender, race or sexuality. /Satire

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
- Virtua Fighter is the best fighting game series
- I liked the elevator scenes in Mass Effect 1

I liked the Mako scenes in Mass Effect 1.

JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: BoA - Still