JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Redrum - Gyakkou

Author Topic: MySpace to block copyrighted music files  (Read 1474 times)

Offline reyfer

• Member+
  • Sayumin's personal assistant
MySpace to block copyrighted music files
« on: November 01, 2006, 02:36:28 AM »
MySpace.com will use "audio fingerprinting" technology to block users from uploading copyrighted music to the social networking site, the company said Monday.
MySpace, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., said it will review all music files uploaded by community members to their online profiles.
The company said users who repeatedly attempt to upload copyrighted music files will be permanently barred from the site.

Credit: Associated Pres

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:38:00 AM »
:rolleyes:

Offline Fracture

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 02:45:05 AM »
Pointless.  This is a "feel-good" policy for them.  It's not like myspace is responsible for mass piracy, in fact I think if anything they've been helpful to the recording industry.  Some bands get a heck of a lot of free advertising from them.

Offline reyfer

• Member+
  • Sayumin's personal assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:59:18 AM »
I don't use MySpace, never had, but since I know some of you do, I thought this news would be of interest to you. :D

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:35:12 AM »
I really don't see the point since most of the music on there is actually by the bands themselves... -___-

There are those fake profiles, but it really isn't much to make any effect on the music undustry... Some people also make profiles so they can put music on their page. It's free advertising for the artists anyways.

Offline idiotboy

• day-to ja nai!
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »
Quote from: StreakInTheSky;226100
I really don't see the point since most of the music on there is actually by the bands themselves... -___-

the point is probably to protect themselves from lawsuits by content/IP owners: if there's no method in place to prevent the upload of copyrighted materials (whether or not this is a problem) then if the copyright holders find material on MySpace that they haven't licenced to be there, then MySpace can be sued for enormous amounts of money. and now they're owned by the forces of evil (aka NewsCorp) they have lots of money, and are an attractive litigation target.

however, with a 'fingerprinting' system in place, they can claim that any user who does upload copyright materials against the wishes of the copyright holder was breaching MySpace rules and ToS, meaning that MySpace wasn't at fault and can't be sued for enormous amounts of money.

Offline Fracture

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »
Quote from: idiotboy;226320
the point is probably to protect themselves from lawsuits by content/IP owners: if there's no method in place to prevent the upload of copyrighted materials (whether or not this is a problem) then if the copyright holders find material on MySpace that they haven't licenced to be there, then MySpace can be sued for enormous amounts of money.

MySpace already has that liability waiver in their TOU though :confused: Isn't that enough?

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Redrum - Gyakkou