JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Neon Bunny - LaLaLa

Author Topic: The iPhone Thread  (Read 31532 times)

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
The iPhone debuts @ Macworld 2007
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 09:07:41 AM »
StevieJ interview notes From MSNBC:

You don’t want your phone to be an open platform,” meaning that anyone can write applications for it and potentially gum up the provider's network, says Jobs. “You need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn’t want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up.”

That sucks.....

Offline Haonan

• 公認AKB48とNGT48アンバサダーです
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »
Here are a few of my thoughts on what I like and don't like abt the iPhone, and why it will only work and sell well in the US, but not in Asia (Japan included).

What I don't like:

1) Closed system OS. Apple only allows first party software, so it's not a smartphone by conventional/general terms. Being that a true smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed, be it 1st party or 3rd party. Sorry, but personally when it comes to smartphones, if there is no content, I might as well look for better smartphone platforms to rely on. (wider platform support like Symbian or Windows Mobile 5.0, in this case)

2) The phone's aesthetics/design. Touch-screen but no stylus input? Virtual touchscreen QWERTY keypad? I say good luck to those who're heavy smsers. There's a reason why some HTC and O2 smartphone devices comes with a true QWERTY keyboard. Apple if this is the reason why you sacrifice usability for slimness of the device, the possibility of ppl owning this phone has just reduced by 1000%. Some ppl still prefer conventionl or traditional methods, just like why modern cars these days still have steering wheels, why ppl prefer a norm piano instead of a digital piano etc.

3) No OTA (over the air) iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine. What a freaking joke. This is like no difference from Microsoft's Zune, the features are there, but you can't use them in normal terms. What's the point?

4) No removable battery (again?!) Apple I really hope your iPhone won't become like what happened to those Powerbooks with bloated/damaged battery issues previously. When such things happen and it's time for a recall, I shall see how you will clean up this whole mess. Once bitten, twice shy.

5) 2 Megapixels camera. Read after me....two megapixels...in 2007 (2008 for us in Asia). I don't know if it's an overstatement to say this is a piece of state-of-art device/gadget to my friends next time, when they see me carrying this phone, with only a 2 MP mobile-camera. So much for convergence.

What I do like:

1) Make no mistake, this is one sleek piece of convergence gadget, even to non-Apple fans like me. Widescreen videos, music, internet and making calls all in one. To ppl who're suffering from high-tech gadgetry sickness like me, I'm not sure if I will be able to resist buying this, even if it's not for making calls/using as a phone. Just buying it for its multimedia aspects is already considered cool enough.

2) Auto-push emails (apparently limited to Yahoo email only), Widgets and Google Maps. Wow what can I say...should interest any non-Apple fangeeks even abit, if any.

3) Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP Profile, and 8GB storage for your music and videos. I like music-playing devices with A2DP support, so in this aspect I think it's really a good idea, no wires. Storage wise I think it's sufficient enough for me.

Why I think it will work in the US:

1) Majority of US telco carriers are still on GSM/EDGE, with little 3G coverage anywhere if any, so this is not a major problem for the carriers, as well as for the subscribers.

2) US is Apple's biggest market share, I don't need to say or explain this further. This piece of device will definitely have no problem selling in the US.

3) There's probably none other smartphone that's as nice looking as this.

Why I think it won't work in Asia (Japan included):

1) No 3G support. This may not mean much to u guys, but it is to me. Imagine no roaming support when u go to overseas countries like Taiwan, Korea or Japan. You need a 3G-enabled hp to be able to roam. However this is still early to tell, there are speculations that since Japan is Apple's 2nd biggest market there, and recently Softbank has a contractual agreement deal with Apple there, there might be a 3G release of iPhone for Japan afterall, released by Softbank. (NTT DoCoMo and au KDDI is out definitely, due to incompatible network)

2) Content choices. Under such a closed OS platform like OSX, I'm not sure if people will be obligating enough to opt for this over so many other choices on the Asian market, in terms of smartphone offerings with open platform like Symbian and Windows Mobile.

3) Technology Advancement. I think I don't need to repeat this, but every 6 mths we can see a major technology improvement, whether it's for the mp3 market or cellphone market here in Asia. Apple might be able to move this thing out in 2008, but whether it can create sales is another matter altogether.

That's about it. However make no mistake, Apple's entry into the mobile industry will definitely shake up the market, and put some pressure to the other manufacturer and major players like Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Samsung etc. Now that Apple wants a share of the pie as well, manufacturers will have to vie with each other and start worrying abt prices for chips, parts etc for their mass production of their own cellphone models.

My 2 cents.
♥【愛用ガジェット】♥
♪現役携帯電話: NEC MEDIAS W N-05E
♪現役イヤホン: DITA Audio Answer Truth Edition & Astell & Kern AKR02
♪現役DAPプレイヤー: Sony NW-ZX1/GD
♪現役デジタル一眼カメラ: Sony Alpha α6000

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
Quote from: Haonan;281912
Why I think it won't work in Asia (Japan included):

1) No 3G support.

I don't think that Japan (and Korea, for that matter) should be lumped in with Asia here.  Japan/Korea and the rest of the world are effectively two completely different markets, driven not by 2G vs. 3G, but by GSM vs CDMA.  GSM handset makers are effectively blocked out of the Japanese market.  That's why Nokia has practically zero presence in Japan, even though they have plenty of 3G phones.  The major redesign required in order to make a GSM phone (even if it is 3G) work in Japan means that I don't think we'll ever see a Japanese iPhone.

Offline xerony

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »
As Haonan said. It uses a closed OS.
They told it would run Mac OS X, but Mac OS X is only build for powerPC and x86 processors. So not on this custom Samsung ARM processor.
I'm curious what of this OS will become. But no third party support ? :doh:

Also the introduction to the multi touch screen. Would this work as you want it to ? you could use your fingers and don't have a stylus so the iphone screen is easy to operate ? I hope so
I already love the touch screen functions on my Nintendo DS. And sometimes use it without the stylus

About the G3. new technology could be good. But for some people it more means something like "i can't phone". Just because there is no support for the G3.

Of course they included a blurry 2M pixel camera, some bluetooth and Wifi
But about the wifi... is it really becoming as useless as on a Zune :evil:

I still have no clue what to think of it. Are they able to make these promises come true ? Will you easily be able to read documents, e-mail, listen music and watch video ? Time will tell, time will tell

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 06:35:17 PM »
Quote from: xerony;290923
Will you easily be able to read documents, e-mail, listen music and watch video ? Time will tell, time will tell
A PocketPC (even at 320x240) with its ClearType technology does this very well, so unless they mess things up, they should at least be on par with there higher resolution screen.
By the current specs of this (Xscale processor, xGB's or memory) this is like a soupped-up PDA (but with the 'Apple approved' stamp).

Offline xerony

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 07:11:11 PM »
Yes, the iphone is capable of all those tasks. Tho we don't know supported formats (at least some with a 'apple approved' stamp :P)
in my humble opinion you should try and support as much formats as you can...
too bad most hardware doesn't let you do that out of the box. It's just impossible or you need some hacks

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 07:19:50 PM »
Quote from: xerony;291004
too bad most hardware doesn't let you do that out of the box. It's just impossible or you need some hacks
Nice sample: the iPod is capable of playing WMV in hardware, but Apple decided to disable that (the reason why HP decided/was not allowed not to make the iPod because they wanted to leave it enabled)

Offline T-Kimura

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 09:02:27 PM »
i think its way too expensive.. screw it.

Offline Since1983

• Miki Fujimoto's Sex Slave
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 11:06:19 PM »
According to http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/
"Ships Stateside in June, Europe in fourth quarter, Asia in 2008"
I like how the US is getting it first then like Asia. Its always been the other way around in terms of technology.
I think this item will be hot when it comes out. I feel there will be a shortage just like how the ipod minis were when they first came out.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 12:07:44 AM »
Latest rumor out is that the $499/$599 price is not being subdizied by the operator.  That's a big deal: the usual model in the US is for operators to sell phones at subsidized phone prices (usually $100-$300 less than the "real" price) in turn for forcing a 2 year contract on the customer.  This incentivizes people to switch operators, but locks them in at high monthly rates for 2 years.

Apple's rumored model allows the operator to do interesting things like offer discounted monthly rates for minutes or data.  

It also allows a direct comparison between iPod prices (subsidized by nobody) and iPhone prices.  This makes a lot of sense: the $499 iPhone seems to fit very well in the same pricing structure as the $349 80GB iPod.  It would fit even better if a 80GB touchscreen iPod came at at $399 or $449.

Full writeup here: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/25/cingular-rogers-not-subsidizing-iphone-cost/

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 12:58:11 AM »
CBS report from the Macworld 2007 Convention:

A Closer Look At The iPhone
[yt]YgW7or1TuFk[/yt]

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 08:29:31 AM »
^ Anyone counted how many time he said 'most advanged phone'? :)

And that scrolling interface for info/pictures/songs was shown by Microsoft on a PDC some years back, they just somehow forgot to implement it in a 'real' application somewhere :evil:
The tilting response is nice and smooth

I think this 'phone' will probably not be bought for the 'phone' part but for the rest of its features...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 04:56:05 AM by JFC »

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The iPhone debuts @ Macworld 2007
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »
Will it blend??

[youtube=425,350]qg1ckCkm8YI[/youtube]

ebay
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 02:24:00 PM by Guchi_Jnr »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: The iPhone debuts @ Macworld 2007
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2007, 11:35:50 PM »
^ Damn, I just found that vid too. :P

Oh well, on a related note, I was browsing Endgadget and found that:

Teardown reveals iPhone parts cost $200.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: The iPhone Thread
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 04:42:02 AM »
IT IS HERE!!

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 07:31:49 PM »
^ Yup and just in from CNN: Apple shares are down 1%...

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »
Slightly related

8D;

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 12:10:36 AM »
I'm more interested in the new OS that comes with it - finally some multitasking.

Probably couldn't afford one anyway.... :sweatdrop:

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 03:56:43 AM »
Probably going to pick up a 32GB white one to replace my 16GB 3G.
Can't just change carriers cause I got the family plan when it came out two years ago.
My mom, maybe my dad will want to upgrade as well.

But yeah, I'm feeling the need for a new one anyway, even though my 3G is still mostly in good working order.
It's got a messed up vibrator, headphone jack had the bezel break off, the corners are all scuffed up, and there's dust in my screen.

Looking forward to faster 3g data service, N-band wifi, double my current storage capacity, a lot faster processor, better battery life, and I can't wait to see that crazy screen.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Neon Bunny - LaLaLa