JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Teriyaki Boyz - Celebrity Death Match

Author Topic: The iPhone Thread  (Read 31536 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
The iPhone Thread
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:44:17 PM »
Some interesting things went down, I heard. What peaked my interest was the following.  It's one step closer to having "Star Trek" type gadgets. You have to scroll down the page a bit after you click the link.

Apple unveils the iPhone

What should we price it at? For a 4GB model we're pricing it at $499 -- no premium whatsoever.

"We're going to have an 8GB model for just $599."
Looks promising, though it's a little steep for my taste. :o

(daigong edit, COMBO MAN!)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:40:43 AM by daigong »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
The iPhone debuts @ Macworld 2007
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 11:51:18 PM »
I was updating the engadget coverage every minute.  The iPhone is certainly sweet, however:

- I like buttons.  I actually prefer Treo/Blackberry-style phones over O2/HTC-style phones.

- $499/$599 is the price with a 2 year Cingular contract.  The unsubsidized unlocked grey-market price will likely near $1,000.  Is it worth it?  Yes.  But that's damn expensive for an iPod/iPhone/PMP/Palmtop...

- Previous mockups had presumed that the clickwheel would be implemented on the touchscreen, but I've seen no clickwheel in the demo.  Will multi-touch completely take over click wheel functionality?

- Didn't say whether iPhone would stream to Airport Express.  If so, this could be the setup that everybody seems to have been waiting for - letting the user play iPod tracks via stereo loudspeakers, using the familiar iPod interface while sitting on the couch.  No need for any dumb remote.

Offline trickraca

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 12:53:44 AM »
thats pretty odd....being its called iphone...wasnt there a dispute about that...i think it was cisco systems or someone who has a ip phone out called iphone....i may be mistaken..

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 12:55:02 AM »
There is no mechanical clicky things anywhere I believe, everything is done through the touchscreen.  I'm fine with that except I dunno if the onscreen keypad will be usable or not.

But goddamn the interface is so sexy.  The way it can auto-rotate the screen, how you can navigate through the albums by the album covers, the multi-touch to zoom in and out, fuck it's like a wet dream come true.  I'm no apple fanboy but the only thing I've been thinking about all day was how to get my hands on one of these things.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:45:55 AM by ohbahsan »

Offline Shoko

• Member+
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 01:43:43 AM »
Dude, I want one D:
Having a hard day? Send me a PM and I'll create a parody of something! It's my policy to make you laugh. If you don't, I will do it again. Until you crack a smile :)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 05:09:05 AM »
Oops. :ONwahaha:
The iPhone is not a smartphone

I'm sorry, but without the chance for features (like being able to remove the battery to switch a dead one for a freshly charged one)...I'll pass.

Offline amuse

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:43:33 AM »
I was refreshing blog sites during the keynote too and was pretty impressed with the UI and features included. I'm pretty anti-ipod because it's turned into a fashion trend and people are buying it because it's an "ipod". There are a ton of much better mp3 players on the market but most people simply think about ipods.

Phone calling features are pretty basic which is fine. Nothing too special. Simplistic approach is good :)
Music function should be better than all the other mp3 phones available on the market (*cough* Sony Ericsson walkman bullshit)
Internet connectivity seems a bit sluggish. Not sure if it was the wi-fi connection used or the phone's hardware limitations, but browsing webpages may be frustrating if it takes too long to load. The slow browser performance reminded me of PSP's browser. I think Apple will be able to fix it up before it goes into production though.
UI... just wow. Everything seems to work the way it's suppose to. No complicated menus -> submenus, and the gestures were really smooth.

A bit too expensive so I'll wait and see how the final production version performs, and whether we'll be able to download and install new programs/features into the phone. I'm definitely considering getting an iPhone after watching the keynote.. and I hate iPods!
Quote from: hot_lilAzn
i named mine Man of steel becuz it\'s always hard as steel and hard lol :wink:

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:22:21 AM »
Boehoe, Apple innovation?? I saw some pictures and anyone that has used PocketPC style phone's already has this for years (wouldn't be surprised its the same hardware if it uses an Xscale processor it is)

This style has been tried a few times over the years, but now 'Apple' does it...

YES ITS NEW ITS INNOVATIVE! :pen_wave:

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 07:49:01 AM »
Quote from: JFC;279228
Engadget is pretty "sensational" with its headlines :rolleyes:

Quote from: frblckstr1;279329
Boehoe, Apple innovation?? I saw some pictures and anyone that has used PocketPC style phone's already has this for years (wouldn't be surprised its the same hardware if it uses an Xscale processor it is)
Well, I have a PocketPC and I can assure you I have not seen any UI as gorgeous and intuitive as this iPhone.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 07:51:57 AM »
Quote from: ohbahsan;279340
Well, I have a PocketPC and I can assure you I have not seen any UI as gorgeous and intuitive as this iPhone.
And that is because Apple sued/scared the pants of anyone trying (remember the pPod?)

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 10:58:06 AM »
that's the game apple plays. they take what other companies have already created and turn a couple unique tricks, and slap a pretty gui on top of it all, and they say that they were the ones that invented it.

virtual desktops -> OS X spaces
konfabulator & co. -> dashboard
CVS and SVN -> time machine
many mp3 players predated even the original ipod

multi-touch has already been under development at many research labs, operating independantly of apple
touch-screen and multimedia cellphones are not at all uncommon

don't get me wrong, i think the iphone is an impressive piece of hardware, and apple has struck a few chords by putting existing hardware together in this particular combination. the only thing that i see as problematic is how apple showboats its products (as of late) as if they single-handedly did everything themselves.

in terms of forecasting, apple fanboys will flock to the iphone, which will put a serious dent in the existing telecom market (at least the GSM market). t-mobile will feel the hurt until people start unlocking their phones, and verizon and sprint are just plain out of luck. other manufacturers (sony ericsson, nokia, motorola, samsung, etc) will also feel the burn, since they will lose some market share, and will also have a new major competitor when it comes to buying supplies of chips.

if proof is in the pudding, did anyone see Apple's stock peak today, while RIMM and PALM (blackberry and treo, respectively) dropped? take a look and see what's in store.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »
Here is a nice one:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/ipod/the-ipod-phone-mda--ppod-187596.php

The iPod Phone: MDA + pPod

(btw the screen is 320x480, still not equal to my HPx4700 (640x480) but twice the normal PocketPC's)

Offline amuse

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 08:16:42 PM »
Apple is one company I'm really impressed with from a business and marketing perspective. They're doing EVERYTHING right. It's crazy. They don't wait until their product is on a decline before releasing a new product. Once one of their products has reached its peak, they release a newer, better version to make fanboys wet themselves. It's gotten to the point where a new iPod with a minor upgrade or design change means instant-orgasm to fanboys. I keep telling people there are much better mp3 players than iPod but nobody listens ....

But I'm definitely not impressed with their technology :P. All they do is take existing technology and products and make it more fanboy and noob-friendly. It's not innovative but it sells :(...
Quote from: hot_lilAzn
i named mine Man of steel becuz it\'s always hard as steel and hard lol :wink:

Offline idiotboy

• day-to ja nai!
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:04:15 AM »
i've been having arguments with ppl about this all day. i agree with most of the posters already: this isn't a phone. it has NO W-CDMA or 3G connectivity: no MMS, no photoblogging (other than the tedious old-fashioned way); little or no operability in markets outside of the US; 2MP camera.

it's a PDA-killer; sure. it's a Blackberry-killer (let's hope), it may well be a 'smartphone'-killer, and i can't honestly believe that ppl actually buy Treos. it might even cause Sony grief, given how poorly the PSP is doing. but it won't hurt Nokia or SonyEricsson or LG or Samsung or even Motorola, because it's not a phone. it's a souped up PDA-cum-iPod with limited phone capacity.

there's a chance that all the important things: W-CDMA and 3G, essentially, may be rolled out in a v2 in 2008 or beyond; but until then, this'll be North America-specific. it may do well there, but if it does, that will have more to do with the uniquely fragmented nature of the phone market there, not because of Jobs genius (altho Jobs' 'genius' may well be the excuse needed to drive some consolidation of the North American mobile market).

i could pull quotes all day to support my argument, but i'll make do with just one, from an interview Jobs did with Time before the release, but which was embargoed until he made the official announcement:

In the hours we spent talking about the iPhone, Jobs trash-talked the Treo, the BlackJack, the Sony PSP and the Sony Mylo ("just garbage compared to this"), Windows Vista ("It's just a copy of an old version of Mac OSX") and of course Microsoft's would-be iPod killer, Zune.

(via Kotaku)
he's just launched a new 'phone', allegedly, and yet there's no mention of any handset manufacturer in Jobs fighting talk. it's not a phone, any more than the iPod is a pod.

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 01:59:50 AM »
Quote from: idiotboy;279781
No W-CDMA or 3G connectivity

The downside of working with mobile operators like Cingular is having to come out with phones that work with operator networks.  Problem is, the US doesn't have a very well built W-CDMA/3G network.  So even if iPhone had a 3G antenna, it would only be marginally useful.

W-CDMA/3G also kills the battery life.

no MMS

I'd be shocked... SHOCKED, if the final iPhone didn't have MMS capability.  The demo showed Steve sending a photo to someone else during a conference call.  If you can do that, but can't MMS, that would be silly.

little or no operability in markets outside of the US

It's quad-band GSM, so it can roam anywhere with GSM, which means practically everywhere in the world except for Japan and Korea.  

That being said, I highly suspect the phone will be locked by the operator, so you wont be able to use a Cingular bought phone with a non-Cingular SIM without going through a complex unlocking procedure.

It remains to be seen whether Apple/Cingular will allow people to develop 3rd party applications for iPhone, ala Palm or Windows Mobile.  If they don't, that would be really really dumb, especially given the expected OSX/widget architecture.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 02:01:14 AM »
It looks really nice and has some pretty nice features, but for that price tag, hell no :lol: It will probably be as popular as motarola's razr was a couple years ago, and will probably be the phone "everyone" wants.

Offline anythursday

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »
i'm not really huge on this phone. i personally would still prefer sony ericson's phone over the iphone

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 02:27:09 AM »
First it's Apple vs. Cisco over the name, and maybe now Apple vs. LG over the looks?

iPhone & LG KE850: separated at birth?

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »
If they took out he phone functions and Bluetooth, kept the WiFi, and changed the 8GB flash RAM to an 80GB HDD, I'd buy it in an instant, even if it did cost $500-600.

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 03:14:59 AM »
Quote from: JFC;279228

I'm sorry, but without the chance for features (like being able to remove the battery to switch a dead one for a freshly charged one)...I'll pass.

The lack of 3G is somewhat surprising in a phone that costs 599USD with a 2 year plan, but it's not unexpected coming from apple who is more than content to release newer versions right on the cusp of a major technology transition, like the AppleTV supporting only 720p and not 1080p.  However, they might also be a little sneaky about this and hide the fact that there really is a W-CDMA antenna in the iPhone, requiring a firmware and cellular plan update in order to activate, similar to the 802.11 draft n antennas in new macs which require the purchase of an airport extreme in order to activate.  

What I was really expecting from the iPhone was for it to flex those WiFi/BT muscles a little more.  Wireless synching and downloads from iTunes come off as a no brainer to me, and perhaps their lack of implementation simply means that the software for them isn't mature enough yet.  At least, that's what I hope. I was also hoping for something along the lines of skype support so that when I'm in an area with WiFi and poor reception (like an office building or a concrete apartment) I could use skype over the WiFi.  There's other things that are possible too, like laptops with satellite antennas that allow for you to use the iPhone like a satellite phone over the WiFi for use in remote locations.  That's the sort of thing that could really appeal to businesses and put the hurt on nexttel.  

And it really comes as no surprise to me that the battery isn't removable and there's no expandable memory.  I mean, really, when has apple made a device that doesn't allow for the minimum amount of user customization possible?  In this respect, apple is like any other cell phone manufacturer in that they prefer to, whenever possible, sell you a device where everything you can do on it is limited to only what they want you to be able to do with it.  The problem is, the people that are ok with this (and there are a lot of those people) are not the ones willing to spend $599 on a phone/mp3/pda.  And the ones that are willing to pay are either apple fanboys, business execs, and computer power users.  At this point, the iPhone really only targets Apple Fanboys.  Apple won't really put the hurt on cell phone companies until they release the iPhone nano and more business oriented apps and features.  

Still, all that eye-candy and multitouch is very attractive.  I wonder how long it will take for someone to install a version of linux in it with multitouch support...

Also, that new LG KE850 smart phone looks very compelling, I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to the iPhone.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Teriyaki Boyz - Celebrity Death Match