JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - Highlight

Author Topic: DVDShrink - Re-encode audio first to increase the picture quality.  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Sure many of you have used DVDShrink to squeeze a DVD9 onto a DVD5.

With movies and whatnot, you can simply remove previews, extra audio streams, etc to increase the percent for the video quality, but what to do with concert DVDs that only have the one audio stream and nothing to trim away?

Well, that's what I was faced with last night, and the solution I used was really simple to perform and I'm more than happy with the end result.

Had a 7.7GB DVD with the one massive audio stream (1.3GB) and nothing to trim. DVDShrink said the picture quality was going to end up at 50.2%, which is way less than the 70% minimal with no noticeable loss, and was going to look like crap.

Solution
Extract the DVD to the HDD.
Vobedit to demux all the streams.
ffmpeggui to re-encode the audio to lower bitrate AC3. (I used AC3@192)
IfoEdit to remux the streams back to DVD.
DONE!!

Loaded the newly created DVD into DVDShrink, and the percent was up to 65.6%. Not quite 70%, but far better than before. And the result, the audio is all in sync and sounds fine, and the picture has no visual pixelation or bleeding colours. Yay!!

So if you're ever faced with the same dilemma, give that a go.

Offline deviljin

DVDShrink - Re-encode audio first to increase the picture quality.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
XD i'm using DVD Rebuilder. It's a better one and also take a long time

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
DVDShrink - Re-encode audio first to increase the picture quality.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 08:16:20 PM »
thanks!  I never knew about this, so I ended up with a crappy picture for the wonderful hearts concert, and now I hate myself for it x___x
The artist formerly known as Gray.

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - Highlight