JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Big Bang - Fantastic Baby

Author Topic: The Rock Music Thread  (Read 28179 times)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Rock Music Thread
« on: July 28, 2005, 10:14:16 AM »
EDIT: I decided to just change this to a general Rock music thread. I thought the old thread sorta made the thread unaccessable to people who weren't really familiar with underground Rock Sorta like the J-rock Thread, but for non-japanese bands and stuff... So anything goes!!!

I'd like to make this the official Punk thread. But it doesn't have to be only about punk, you could talk about the many branches it grew into like hardcore, emo, pop punk, ska, etc. Whatever the hell you want. It's all about the freedom. Hell, what is punk anyways besides a label just so people could classify it. None of that shit matters.

Anyways,
I seem to be the only one in this damn forum that likes what people call emo music. I love that shit, it's some of the first music that I actually felt connected to. It also brought me to like punk rock and all the other shit.

I really don't know why I made this thread, just bored as fuck and I didn't see one. I know there are others out here who like this stuff. Well happy postings.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:05:39 PM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline Sexy Beam

• キラ☆キラスター
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ~Through Space and Time~
The Punk/Ska/Indie/Emo/Hardcore Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 10:49:10 AM »
T_______T

Why are Emo and punk catagorised together in this thread??

You can't compare Blood For Blood with From First To Last. T___T

♥♥ // Infinite Bits Gaming Con // ♥♥ // Poupee Girl // ♥♥ // YouTube // ♥♥ // LJ // ♥♥

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
I made the thread as broad as I can really, while still sticking to some common thing. If I wanted to I could've made a different thread for each different thing I put in the subject heading but I really don't want to make all those threads.

Offline cykeichan

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 02:17:24 PM »
Rock on.  My favorite thing in life is to go into Tokyo and catch my indie punk/ska/emo/Irish-style friends put on a kick-ass show in a small club.  At the punk shows, most everyone just ignores the "buy 1 drink from the bar for 500 yen each" rule and they just go to the conbini and bring in tons of canned alcohol, which they often give me for free. :D   It's a great community, full of unity and fun.  

My one regret is that some of these bands I often see are SO DAMN GOOD, but they'll probably never break out and accomplish anything of note. :cry:

But one of the bands I follow, The Cherry Coke$, is getting a bit of coverage recently.  They actually got a place on the "Rookie A Go Go!" stage at the Fuji Rock Festival (though it starts at 12 a.m.), and they'll be opening up for The Suicide Machines when they come and tour Japan at the beginning of October.

Rock on.

kev

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 02:27:48 PM »
^ That right there is what it's all about, having a good time.

Okay I did some listening and I found a way to compare Blood for Blood with From First to Last. They're both clearly influenced by hardcore. They play heavy music. Both bands have pretty heavy breakdowns that I'd love to mosh to.

Contrastly BFB are an angsty more true HxC band with sing along anthems while FFTL seem to mix their style with pop, emo, hxc, and thrash metal relying more on harmony but are still able to play anthemic songs. The lyrics are really different since BFB talks more about social problems and all that stuff many hxc bands yell about, and FFTL sing more about relationships. The vocals in BFB are also pretty much all yelling in your face stuff, while FFTL sings with some throaty growls and screams thrown in.

Yeah these bands are completely different. But if you compare those bands to like the Ramones or The Clash, would the result be any different?

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 04:43:43 AM »
*BUMP*

The Bled are fucking amazing. One of the best screamo/metalcore bands ever. They fucking kill that shit live.

I'll see you in the pit.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 01:38:33 PM »
I miss At the Drive-In  :cry:  One of the greatest bands ever!

But if they never broke up we would never have the Mars Volta. So there's some good to it.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 07:27:21 AM »
The Mars Volta owns anyways.

I don't listen to much of the scene-y stuff, but I like Dead Kennedys. Nazi Punks Fuck Off is a pretty funny song. :lol:

Offline 28monkeyking28

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 07:34:08 AM »
these genres are awesome? /. i don't know what to say . i listsent to everything

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 04:11:44 AM »
:lol: It's still here!!!

I'm listening to Between the Buried and Me right now. They're more metal than hardcore, but they're on a hardcore label so that's a good enough reason for me (though Victory Records is a shit label recently). They're my favorite american band at the moment.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 05:20:19 AM »
I used to listen to punk and hardcore in high school. The guys I used to skate with were all into punk, then I started liking some stuff too. My favorites were Minor Threat and Bad Brains. I liked some Black Flag and some other shit, but Bad Brains what what I listened to the most. They're also some of the only punk I listen to now.

I got into hardcore from my brother. I used to like Hatebreed and Blood for Blood a few years back(high school maybe), but now I can't stand listening to most of it.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 02:12:59 AM »
Actually Minor Threat and Bad Brains are considered to be some of the first hardcore bands :lol: They pretty much led the hardcore scene in the 80's.

Hatebreed and Blood for Blood are more metalcore. Which is pretty much the aggressiveness and breakdowns of hardcore mixed in with metal riffs. In the past couple years though they seem to just call most metalcore bands hardcore or in some cases new school hardcore, and metalcore bands now have more of a metal sound than hardcore, if any of that made sense.

I used to live for this stuff in high school and was pretty scene :lol: Being in the pit was just an awesome feeling. I've sorta grown away from it. I still listen to it, just that I listen to more other stuff.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 03:16:19 AM »
just wondering.  how did ska get tied with emo?  I always thought it was a jamaican thing, with the rocksteady and dub involvement
word.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 04:26:49 AM »
It is. I guess it's because the scene's pretty much all tied together..? Or something. Here it is, at least.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 01:45:59 PM »
ska was pretty much picked up by a bunch of punk bands, what some people call ska-punk. A bunch of them also mixed up dancehall and stuff. I really have no idea how punk ties in with jamaican music styles :lol: I wasn't around to see how it happened. I also heard the word moshing was coined by a jamaican because it looked like they were "moshing grapes" at hardcore punk shows XD

Well how that ties with emo? emo was eventually derived from punk. But you also have to concider what most people know about emo today isn't exactly the same when the movement started >_>

Offline dclee

• ecchi
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 07:13:53 AM »
Hardcore/punk used the be the music I listened to the most. But nowadays I just listen a little bit, and it's mainly bands from back in the 80s. Some favorites of mine are Minor Threat, SSD, Cro-Mags (AOQ!!), Dag Nasty (just the Can I Say LP though), Negative Approach and basically most of the 80s new york youth crew bands (youth of today, bold, side by side, etc.)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 07:25:43 AM »
I was listening to some AFI and was reminded of this video

[yt]JA3Pq_65vOo[/yt]

probably one of my favorite videos out of the recent hardcore scene. The pit looks fucking awesome.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:34:46 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline xtree

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 02:38:54 AM »
man i miss punk music...it's so hard to keep up with good punk music tho

i don't really hear punk on the radio anymore and it's hard to find new undergound bands

and btw screw emu and all that artsy rock crap
i want music dat'll make my head bang not make me cry

Offline red + green = yellow

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 10:43:33 PM »
Quote from: dclee;320566
Hardcore/punk used the be the music I listened to the most. But nowadays I just listen a little bit, and it's mainly bands from back in the 80s. Some favorites of mine are Minor Threat, SSD, Cro-Mags (AOQ!!), Dag Nasty (just the Can I Say LP though), Negative Approach and basically most of the 80s new york youth crew bands (youth of today, bold, side by side, etc.)

Nice choice. Pretty much what I carry around on my mp3-player when it comes to alt./hardcore. When it comes to music I happen to like a lot of stuff that came out when I was still running around the christmas tree. Well, maybe not even that.

Sad thing is, that I can't find a lot of asian bands making that kind of music without resorting to terrible Engrish and instead sticking to their native language. So no way to combine my interests there ...

Some recent band I like:

Stream of the new album:

http://www.bridge9.com/outbreak/
"Der kategorische Schröderativ - handle jederzeit so, dass aus deinem Handeln eine positive BILD-Schlagzeile abgeleitet werden könnte" --Friedrich Küppersbusch

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 01:42:02 AM »
I have a compilation on my computer with a some Japanese bands you might like, sadly I can't access it. The only band I could think of from the top of my head is Mind of Asian, cause they're girls and a couple of them are pretty hot >_>. They sort of mix traditional oriental sounds with hardcore thrash punk, it's a pretty fun listen.

If I think of more I'll post them in here.

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Big Bang - Fantastic Baby