JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Youjeen - Hey Jerks

Author Topic: Mirror's Edge  (Read 19728 times)

Offline sayahchan

• I disapear from time to time, only to return in a blaze!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ava made by moi ask me for anymore.
Re: Mirror's Edge
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 08:12:56 AM »
GAH.. for playing on easy.... this game is so hard...

Right now I am stuck on the part where you have escape on the crane?

yeah I keep dying... I have a horrible headache from all the white. :P

I played the demo for ps3... and it was fun enough....

the free sony time trail map tho...

ahh HORRIBLE

Avatar and sig made by Kawaii Beam

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 08:14:20 AM »
My problem with Mirror's Edge is that is doesnt get pacing right. It tries to find a balance with the roof top action and the combat. And the roof top action is way better than the combat. Also, since its 1st person, its a great camera but not when you need to wall up in tight spaces
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline chaz9891

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
I still haven't completed it yet. I can't seem to do the last bit without using any weapons

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Saw this in a supermarket for £5. Wonder if I should get it but there's so many games I'm playing at the minute, and have planned to get Dissidia and Fifa 10 already. Still, nice to know it's at that price.

Offline NaoLove

• Member+
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 05:19:30 AM »
A friend convinced me to get this, from all the hype that its a new concept in gaming.
It got annoying that I constantly had to crack my brain over the obstacles and the
headache from the horrible display didnt help. :banghead: Wouldnt recommend.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
I was very generously given this game by a friend which he had two copies sent two by accident. And I'm never the type to turn down a free game. And from what I've seen and played of Mirror's Edge, it almost seems like a steal.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »
So my initial impressions of the game at around 3 chapters in...the story's not that great huh? Faith's motive to save her sister from landing in jail falls on deaf ears to me. I only saw her for the first time when the story as it were started to kick in and she lands in trouble, but even when I watched as she was detailing the problem there was nothing I saw that made me feel empathetic towards her, even though the game keeps hammering into you that everything you do in the game is trying to unraveal this frame up for her benefit. It's just this weird character disconnect between myself and Faith as I, as the player, am forced to assume that I share the same desire to save her sister except thanks to the laws of narrative and story telling, all I have to go on is a brief cinematic of her where she doesn't really show off any personality traits and am asked to save her because I'm forced to assume she's my sister. Well she's not, I don't really care about her at all, so the level progression to me is pretty much navigating the environment from point A to point B with no motive. And neither Faith, Celeste or Merc particularly stand out or are relatable to me either. Merc is perhaps the most annoying character in any video game I've ever played actually. Always critical and discourages any kind of environment exploration. Prick.

Having said that, there's no mistaking Mirror's Edge for any other game in my collection and so kudos goes to it for that. But with such a striking visual style, it's a wonder they went with those poor animations between chapters to tell the story. It's an odd contrast seeing as there are cinematics told in the 1st person.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:11 AM »
Completed this just now. I just had no feelings for any of the characters whatsoever and the buildup towards the end was so very anticlimatic. Couple of thoughts:

[bgcolor=#000000]Why even bother masking the identity of the shooter? When your masked mystery man has boobs and a female voice behind a mask then it's pretty easy to consider who it is, especially as there only are 2 female runners in the game. Not that I cared, Celeste never made an impression on me, perhaps due to how little time is given to her anyway. Speaking of un sympathetic characters, Merc, did anyone care when he died? I was personally happy. And so much for a big reveal on the final turncoat. Considering he was made out as something of a villian anyway, and was only on screen for oh, 2 mins, it wasn't a shock at all[/bgcolor]

As for the game itself, I think the only game where I've died as much was in Ninja Gaiden II. What's so annoying about it was that running away from the enemies is part of the draw to the game, that combat is non-confrontational. Except in certain sections, particularly in the latter 2 chapters, progression is nigh impossible unless you fight and attack all the guards. And in a game where the combat is secondary and it's so easy to die in a number of shots, it's not the best design choice to make. Neither are the indoor locations, having so many is not what I expected at all.

Good looking outdoor levels though, and 'Still Alive' is a great song. My favourite thing about the whole game are the Time Trials, that's the essence of Mirror's Edge right there. My goal now is to try and get 3 stars for all of them, and attempt to beat the times of some of the hipsters as well! :D

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »
i'm still playing it.  in chapter 6 right now. I really liked it during the beginning, but it feels like its the same stage different obstacles all the time...

combat kinda sucks, 2 hits you're dead. right now i'm stuck at this part where i have to run up some wall to get to a vent at the top of the ceiling.  i have no idea how to get there. Tried for a hour, then i quit. dunno if i'll go back.
word.

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »
I played most of it when it was released. It wasn't "bad" but still wasn't "good".

combat kinda sucks, 2 hits you're dead.
That's one of the reason I quit the game. And it's also so inconsistent. Sometimes you have to run like hell, then you have to kill everybody, but the shooting mechanics are horrible.

I would only play it fro free (guess that was my case, modded 360) but even so I didn't care to finish it.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 06:45:25 PM »
Mocha, sometimes dude it's best to just swallow some pride and look at a video walkthrough. I know I did for one part in Chapter 8 of the game. You're right, it can be pretty frustrating just to navigate to one place, particularly in interior locations.

Offline Azn_Phoen1x

• Rawr!!
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
I have this game as well. Finished it 2 times. First time on normal difficulty without using weps. Second time on hard, but with weps. I have to say that there isn't much difference between normal and hard except for that your enemies kill you alot faster and runner vision is turned off.

I believe this game was worth the buy. I enjoyed it, it wasn't an easy game to finish. Alot of recent games I played are just too easy to finish(Resistance 2 for example). I find that a game should at least give the players a challenge. And I think Mirror's Edge has done that quite well. Maybe for some of you this game seems quite hard, but it isn't really once you get used to it. Only when being chased by those ninjas it gets a little tough. Also figuring out where to go isn't so hard either. I believe there's this button and when you hold it down Faith will look in the direction you have to go to. Also runner vision tells you where to go. The characters themselves are a little boring. Celeste for example. I liked Faith though.
The story was pretty nice. In the beginning I had a hard time following it, but it got clearer during the game. The story did keep me playing, because I wanted to figure out what was going on. And the end was the coolest part. Though killing the dude at the end was pretty easy. Kick---> you win!!

But yeah I have to say that I had fun with this game and I do recommend it. Don't be confused though. This game is not meant as a shooter, though it is possible to pick up guns. This game is pretty much about the running and jumping and stuff. Seems pretty lame, but I find that DICE made it pretty interesting. It's a unique game, characters could have been more interesting and maybe they should have made the story more epic. But other then that a good game!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »
I've started playing this again after a friend expressed an interest in it when he was around. Playing it now just to clear the time trials and speed runs. The speedruns are very challenging, you can't even afford to die, it has to be a flawless run. Which is good, there should definately be a challenge but it doesn't help when the game makes stupid decisions for you. For me, there's been more than one occassion where I've missed a pole to climb once I made a jump, or it thinks I want to climb over a low railing rather than use one of those jump pads and it sends me plummeting to my death. Very frustrating when that happens and you're near the end of clearing one under the time limit. And it's just so inconsistent at times that I've done the same thing and it works according to plan, but other times it doesn't. It's a case of sticking with what I know and hope for the best.

I never viewed it as a shooter, I felt it was laboured on but I expected it to be a little better considering it's from DICE. And it's also disappointing considering that even though combat is the least interesting part about the game, the narrative forces you into situations where combat is unavoidable. Also the indoor corridors feel rather bland and there is a lot of them.

It sounds like I hate it a great deal, but I still enjoy playing it, the sense of speed is great and jumping from a building to a pole on another building, making that hard landing with an 'OOMPH' still feels visceral and exciting to do. If they ever made ME2, then I'd like more of a focus on outdoor parkour, do away with combat entirely and a better story.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
assist-bump for this awesome game

I bought this back around Christmas on Steam, didn't play it until May. It's one of the best major releases I've played in a long time.

I never had much trouble with the keyboard/mouse, after getting into the swing of it (ha ha). I enjoyed the combat, or rather, running like hell to avoid it. The two forced melee boss fights were a pain, though, especially the second. :bleed eyes: That sniper bit kinda stunk too. The generic indoor environments probably arise from the setting itself, and there isn't much to do about that I reckon. The outdoor stuff was usually awesome though. I wish I could play the fantasy time trial courses, but they're apparently not available on PC.

I think the worst part of the game was the anime-inspired cutscenes. They ruined the otherwise awesome immersion, and ignored the well-designed environments and characters.

brb reinstalling :yep:

Offline boybags11

« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »
i love this game it's show parkour! one of the exciting sport today

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
Well I cleared all of the speedruns and cleared it on Hard and without shooting any enemies and found all 30 bags XD Getting the achievement to not shoot anyone, on Hard difficulty for that matter was surprisingly easier than expected. Lack of runner vision wasn't so hard as I spent so many times repeating speed runs that I knew the route to go. And the runner vision is oddly still active when it comes to disarming so you know when you need to hit that Y button. It only got difficult in the later chapters, the last one in particular in the server room. Fortunately, the AI is pretty dumb enough to walk straight towards you if you're hiding so I just waited until they came to me and did a quick disarm. I had to take all the guards out except for the guy in the middle with the machine gun, I was wondering how on earth I could do it because the distance between me and him on the walkways was so great that I couldn't get close to him. Luckily I found one of those vaults on the bottom floor which I used to jump and virtually land right in front of him for the easy disarm.

Only one achievement left for 50 stars in Time Trial which I don't see myself getting. I keep messing up and even by looking at Youtube videos I still can't manage to get all 3 stars for certain tracks.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »
Development of Mirror's Edge 2 has been "stopped" by EA.

"Patrick [Soderlund - EA driving and shooting game boss] acknowledges that Mirror's Edge didn't match up to their expectations regarding sales, and that has stopped the sequel that has been in development," declared the report, published originally in December.

"EA was shown a prototype, but declined with askance. The project has been stopped - involved parties at DICE are working on something else now. Patrick himself seems to have Mirror's Edge near his heart, but they are not in the business of charity."

Shame. As it's DICE, one can only assume development is on Battlefield 3. And while I'm sure it will be a good game, it's a shame that something like ME2 isn't given the opportunity to expand and refine, but rather on another FPS that hopes to overthrow COD's reign and undoubtedly struggle no matter how much marketing you throw at it.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
All my hate for EA & the Battlefield series.

It's great they can greenlight the Nth Battlefield, more Dead Space and all, but I'd really like some more of the fresh gameplay Mirror's Edge provided. Some day..

Offline EternalSkies

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • TakaUno <3
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 05:01:16 AM »
I got this Game for Christmas but before that I'd played the demo. I got bored in the demo and didn't enjoy it that much but when I got it for christmas I figured I'd give it another go. I'm really glad i did. I really liked the game mechanics and whilst the story was rather weak especially when you died so often trying to find the correct way I ended up forgetting what I was aiming for. Ended up getting a few achievements without particularly trying; namely the one where you're not allowed to shoot any. Yes...I did it on Easy but even after being shot down SOOOOOO many times in Chapter 8 where I'd probably struggle now I still didn't shoot anyone. I was personally surprised to see Celeste as the masked shooter but then again as i said earlier I forgot some of the key scenes.

Still a shame there's no sequel just yet. I'd have gotten it even if I waited till it was cheap.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:40 PM »
Think the director was playing Mirror's Edge when they made this film? Check out 1:43 onwards

JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Youjeen - Hey Jerks