JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AKB48 - Tsubasa wa Iranai

Author Topic: Post the latest Geek/Nerd stuff that you bought  (Read 75407 times)

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
Re: Post the latest Geek/Nerd stuff that you bought
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2008, 02:50:44 AM »
You've never had a big boobed aunt hug you when you were little? :lol:
T_T I'm trying to forget about those moments! Please don't bring them up!

I want to imagine the images from my dreams, not the ones from my nightmares T_T
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 02:53:29 AM by ebc »

Offline aginor

• Member+
« Reply #181 on: November 07, 2008, 08:41:57 PM »

my new toy :D

Fujitsu Siemens AMILO Pa 3553-005

Offline Dronak

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2008, 12:29:43 AM »
This was a gift from my wife, and I'm not sure how geeky/nerdy it is, but it's so cool that I thought I'd mention it -- Yamaha's YGP-635 digital piano.  This is far better than the old electronic keyboard I had, and there's an optional three-pedal unit for it (that I plan to get eventually) that would make it at least equivalent to, if not better than, a real piano.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »
Thought I should post this geek item.

I didn't really need a laptop but there was this online shop recently doing a huge discount on this model (I checked and it was about wholesale price ex tax at that point) and then on top of that there is a $199 Acer cashback offer so I decided to go for it. It's a decent machine as well.

Acer 6930G-863G32
Intel C2D P8600 2.4Ghz, 3gig of RAM, Geforce 9600m gs 512mb, 320gb hdd, 16" widescreen

After postage and cashback the total price was $1233. Retail is over $2000 although I saw one at Officeworks for ~$1700 Aus$

Can play games on it :P

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2009, 07:09:51 PM »
As one of my labtops crapped out, I am in the market for a new (around 12") portable but haven't decided on one yet (might wait for W7 labtops) in the mean time I bought me this as a backup desktop machine:

ASUS Eee top PC (15.4" touchscreen):

I actually have the black one (with wired keyboard and mouse):

Yes, it has a pen also.
Its the contents of a NetBook (1.6GHz Atlon, Intel 945 chipset) put behind a screen, with lots of USB ports (6!) and a SD cardslot.
I am currently running W7beta on it (runs very good!) and increased the memory to 2GB.

Oh, and its 599 euro here in Holland.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:12:33 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »
^ frblckstr1, I was interested to buy this but have no idea how good it can be. What's your recommendation?
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2009, 07:44:53 AM »
It a nice little compact machine for a specific usage, with the processor its not a speed demon. And ASUS is delivering XP with it (so you get a maximum of 1GB and 160GB diskdrive)

Its very good as a second computer. The touchscreen works good and ASUS did set it up with the 'thick finger' interface activated (bigger window buttons and scroll bar).

I use it currently for ripping my DVD collection to HD, and it is actually faster with that then the laptop I used before that.
I like touch for some fast navigation, but very little programs are actually usable this way (you need bigger button for your fingers, then the pen comes in handy. ASUS set of programs is ok for finger use.
Vista's handwriting recognition is better then XP, but as said I am testing W7 on it.

Simply put: I like it as a second machine.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #187 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:43 AM »
I was thinking of getting one for the kitchen/family computer and get rid of my old amd 900mhz once and for all... Still don't know when it'll be released stateside though. :/

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »
Lazer Pointer

Best damn cat toy EVER!!

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
Re: Post the latest Geek/Nerd stuff that you bought - Grado GS1000
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »
Some new headphones!  :cow:

Just some cheapy's to get me by these last few days in Thailand

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »
Cheapy's? You better not be talking about those Grados. XD

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2009, 10:49:26 PM »

Check out my futuristic laptop! :pimp: I bought this from work. It's a Dell 600m, four years old but almost unused. Pentium M 1.5GHz and 256MB of RAM. My boss let me have it for 70 dollars. All it needs is a gig of RAM and it'll be a great little laptop. I'm quite happy with it. I've always wanted a laptop for the times I need one, but the times I need one are kinda rare so I couldn't justify spending hundreds of bucks for one. This thing'll be perfect once it gets that RAM for what I need it for.  :heart:

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #192 on: March 09, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »
Nice find! Should do the job well indeed!

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #193 on: March 19, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
2 x

( not my pc )

Offline Dronak

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #194 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:33 AM »
I'm not sure how geeky/nerdy this is, but I just ordered a three-pedal unit for my Yamaha YPG-635 digital piano.  With this instead of just a sustain pedal, I'll have essentially a real piano . . . just electronic.  I'll have to find a slightly better place to put all of my music books now though -- they're currently on the floor in the same area the pedal unit is going to have to be installed.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #195 on: April 13, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »
I just bought a VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 4670 PCI Express Graphics Card, but only later do I found out on the internet that this product tends to overheat.  Now does anyone knows how do I go to prevent that?  I'm asking like how to set the settings either from the ATI Catalyst Center or BIOS?

@Datalanche: My sis got the same Dell Laptop, bought it used as well. Now my mom using it, but the charger been acting up, it charges sometimes, sometimes not.   

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #196 on: April 13, 2009, 11:31:52 PM »
I just bought a VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 4670 PCI Express Graphics Card, but only later do I found out on the internet that this product tends to overheat.  Now does anyone knows how do I go to prevent that?  I'm asking like how to set the settings either from the ATI Catalyst Center or BIOS?

There's really not much you can do settings-wise to bring your VGA temp down, other than maybe being conservative with the settings you run games with.  Just keep the comp cool and the card should follow.  Additionally, you can grab a third-party VGA cooler, or even a PCI slot case cooler to put next to it.  You can also get a program like Speed fan (Link) to keep an eye on the temperature while you do gaming and all that to see how hot it's getting, and if it's in any danger of overheating.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2009, 12:33:30 AM »

@Datalanche: My sis got the same Dell Laptop, bought it used as well. Now my mom using it, but the charger been acting up, it charges sometimes, sometimes not.  

Don't overclock it. Clean the fans for dust regularly. Don't put another card in the slot directly below it if you can.

I second the idea of speedfan if you're still worried - you should be able to set it to do an alarm if the temperature gets over a certain point.

Also, keep in mind some chips are designed to run at higher temps. Some mobo chipsets run regularly at 90 degrees celsius spec for example. It's only a problem if it exceeds the operating specs or melts the chip next to it.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »
you can probably under-clock it using some kind of tool... but then you sorta of lose the point of getting a good vid card. :lol:

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #199 on: April 17, 2009, 07:06:43 AM »
Well, I'd rather underclock it to avoid any damage than to run the risk of it overheat and potentially damage my comp.

anyway, I'd bought a new external HD, Western Digital - My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive, from best buy.  I heard some good and bad stuff about it, so hoping it won't break down on me (hope I don't jinx anything).  I'm actually quite fond of WD, btw.
I'd actually had a 750GB External HD, also a Western Digital.  it's great, but I'd almost been filling it up alot recently. I'd have to burn many files to disc. 
I just bought the 1TB today and am currently moving all of my files from the 750GB to the 1TB, then give the old one to my sis cuz she needs it. 

JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AKB48 - Tsubasa wa Iranai