JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Alan - Yi Ge

Author Topic: The Mark Messier Thread! (HOF Induction 11/12/2007)  (Read 23240 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Mark Messier Thread! (HOF Induction 11/12/2007)
« on: September 12, 2005, 10:24:56 AM »
Thank you Moose.

Reports say that Edmonton's native son Mark Messier, will be retiring today. He redefined the power forward position by beating the shit out of everyone while having the superb stick handling skills. The greatest leader in all of sports, his "look" is feared by all, even head coaches. Just ask Mike Keenan. He fucked celebs like Madonna. He won 2 cups without Wayne Gretzky. Dude is going straight to the Hall of Fame. Fuck the waiting period!! #11 to the RAFTERS OF REXALL!!

Got a good Messier moment? Got more pics and vids? Post em!!

Notable Stats:
Messier, who in 1994 captained the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup in 54 years, has played 1,756 NHL games, second by 11 games to Gordie Howe's 1,767. He ranks seventh on the all-time goals list, third with 1,193 assists and second behind long-time teammate Wayne Gretzky with 1,887 points.

Messier is a two-time Hart Trophy winner as the league's most valuable player, has appeared in 15 All-Star Games and was a member of six Stanley Cup-winning teams.  He is the only player to captain two different teams to championships.

Video Clips

...vs Isles Stanley Cup Final
http://www.savefile.com/files/8898135

Oilers_25_years_in_the_making
http://files.filefront.com/Oil_25/;4111820;;/fileinfo.html

Links:
http://www.edmontonoilers.com/
http://www.oilersheritage.com/memories/videos.html
http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/indepth/messier/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Messier

Pix:

I need this rookie card!

MESSIAH!

The "Look"

With Gary Coleman.

Note the beer. :bow:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 06:23:53 AM by daigong »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Mark Messier is an ANGRY BALDY! (jersey ceremony FEB 27 @ ETOWN)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:27:20 PM »
Messier retires after 25 NHL seasons

The 44-year-old announced his retirement Monday, ending a career that stretched 25 NHL seasons and produced six Stanley Cup rings and the second most points in NHL history.

Messier called it a tough decision, because he was still healthy. But he said the fact he could leave the game in good condition also influenced his decision.

"For me it's been a long career, I achieved a lot," he said during a conference call Monday. "There was really nothing left for me to achieve, it was just time for me to move aside and go on to something else."

"I just feel really good about the decision," he added, "I've had a year and a half to think about it. ... It's the right thing to do."

The two-time league MVP (1990 and '92) played for Edmonton, Vancouver and most recently the Rangers in a stellar career that featured 694 goals, 1,193 assists and 1,887 points in 1,756 games. He ranks second only to Wayne Gretzky in scoring.

Known as the Moose, Messier was renowned for his leadership skill. He and Wayne Gretzky led the Oilers in their halcyon years and then Messier brought the Cup to the Big Apple as a Ranger.

The Edmonton native joined the Oilers for the 1979-80 season after stints in the World Hockey Association with Indianapolis and Cincinnati.

The Rangers plan to retire Messier's number on Jan. 12.

Messier became a star in Edmonton in the 1980s and won five Cups with the Oilers. He became a headliner on Broadway in the '90s, captaining the New York Rangers to the '94 championship that ended the team's 54-year title drought.

Even though the official announcement came Monday, Messier all but said goodbye on March 31, 2004, following the Rangers' final home game before the lockout that wiped out all of last season.

The Rangers held physicals for their players Monday at the opening of training camp, but the longtime star never expressed intentions to return for another season.

But Rangers general manager Glen Sather, the architect of the Oilers' dynasty that was spearheaded by Messier and Gretzky, always left room for the rock-jawed captain to come back.

Messier teamed with Gretzky to win four championships in Edmonton during the 1980s and then won another in 1990 after Gretzky was traded to Los Angeles.

He trails only Gretzky in playoff goals and assists, but he topped the Great One by adding one post-season guarantee that took him to heightened status in Manhattan.

With the Rangers trailing New Jersey 3-2 in the 1994 Eastern Conference finals, Messier promised New York would force a seventh game. He made good on his word by posting his fourth and final playoff hat trick in a 4-2 victory.

New York won Game 7 in double overtime to advance to the final, which also ended with a seventh game victory.

His second stint with the Rangers, which covered the final four seasons of his career, wasn't nearly as successful. New York failed to make the playoffs in any of the years. Messier played in the post-season during his first 13 NHL years, before New York missed in 1993.

After leaving the Rangers following their most recent playoff appearance in 1997, Messier was out of the playoffs for the next seven years - including three with Vancouver.

He leaves 970 fewer regular-season points than Gretzky and 37 more than Gordie Howe, who sits in third place.

"I never thought about any individual records," Messier said. "Coming back to break any records, especially that record wasn't all that appealing to me."

Messier always did things on his terms, and his retirement is no different. After a year off, he wasn't spurred to play again even though he is only six goals away from 700 - a mark reached by only six players - and 11 games short of tying Howe's record of 1,767.

Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe, Messier's longtime teammate on the great Oilers teams, tried to convince him to return to his hometown for a farewell tour. But Messier really only considered playing in New York, where he has a young family.

Messier was showered with applause from teammates, family, friends, fans and even the Buffalo Sabres when he skated off the ice for what turned out to be his final game 18 months ago, a 4-3 loss at Madison Square Garden.

Messier and Gretzky have always been linked, whether on the ice or in the record book. Messier scored 109 playoff goals, 13 fewer than Gretzky, and set up 186 others - 74 fewer than Gretzky, now the Phoenix Coyotes coach.

But the second partnership lasted just one year as Messier left the Rangers for Vancouver as a free agent following a surprising run with Gretzky to the Eastern Conference finals.

When Sather took over as Rangers GM in 2000 he brought Messier back. Messier scored his final goal in his final game, No. 698 with the Rangers.

The inability to rekindle success in New York and the departure of close friend Brian Leetch, who was traded to Toronto as part of the Rangers' salary dump of 2004, surely pushed Messier to his final goodbye to Broadway.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 12:44:18 AM »
Without a doubt, one of the most notable hard-working, talented sumamabitches EVAH in hockey history.  One of my favourite Moose moments was when the rangers did a "Top 10" list for Letterman after they won the Cup in '94.  The topic was something along the lines of: "Things I'll do now that I've won the Stanley Cup".  Messier had the honour of delivering the #1 line: Doing Stanley Cup-sized Jell-O shots!!!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Enjoy your rest dude, you've DEFINITELY EARNED IT!!!
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 10:04:19 AM »
Moose was truly one of the greats, I loved Kevin Lowe's quote, "He came in with a little Jofa helmet and a big ass" :lmao:

I'm glad the Rangers will retire his number when the Oilers visit...and Mess needs to go into the HOF in 2006!!  :x

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 11:10:14 AM »
i love you mark!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 09:05:47 PM »
Great interview last nite on CBC. Mess is so humble. Said what he would like to be remembered for...Mess said "Can't answer that."

Hope he doesn't stay outta hockey for long.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 10:35:58 AM »
Messier is a PIMP

hanging with with MTV's Vanessa Minnillo at a recent Knicks game.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 04:57:03 PM »
SWEET!!! The Moose can STILL get the big time SCORE!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 03:08:13 AM »
bastard didnt do squat when he was with the Canucks -.-

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 04:03:07 AM »
Quote from: daigong
Messier is a PIMP

hanging with with MTV's Vanessa Minnillo at a recent Knicks game.

shes so fine....that Quddus guy and that Damian guy are lucky..

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 09:53:19 AM »
Whos she fucking?? Moose used to fuck:

Frederique Van Der Wal

Her name screams supermodel, nearly as loudly as her astounding figure, blue eyes and European features. Turns out she also screamed Mark Messier's name for a while back in the late '90s, before the relationship came to an end when Messier exited stage north to play for the Canucks. Van Der Wal was even quoted in Maxim as being attracted to his bald head. Amazing.
http://www.longislandpress.com

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 08:08:10 AM »
Messier, who now is pimping for XM Satellite Radio, will have his jersey retired this  Thursday by the Rangers. Damn game is on Pay Per View but ah well.

The countdown is on:
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/tradition/Messier/

Send a message to Messier:
http://www.newyorkrangers.com/tradition/Messier/card.asp

here's an article:
===
Salute to Messier

Banner-raising Thursday for 'Mr. Mom'

By TERRY JONES -- Edmonton Sun

The phone rang and the voice on the other end introduced himself.

"Mark Messier."

All of a sudden there was a wail.

"The baby. Call you right back."

The baby?

Mark Messier turns 45 on Jan. 18. The baby is Jacquilne Jean, aged five months. She has an older brother, Douglas Paul, aged two.

"I'm busier now than I ever was," laughed Messier as he re-returned the call.

Today, Messier flies to New York for what is essentially Mark Messier Week in Gotham. Thursday, with his old team the Edmonton Oilers in town, his famed No. 11 will be retired and his banner raised to the roof of Madison Square Garden.

There are dozens of appearances planned for him, including one on NBC's Today show. A major press conference is scheduled for Wednesday, similar to the one for Wayne Gretzky's going-away game.

If it's the same Messier who shows up at that press conference as the one I talked to yesterday, people are going to be surprised.

Messier was one of those guys who didn't go when it was time. He made them rip his uniform off. This, remember, is a guy who had to wear sunglasses on the ice at Madison Square Garden for Gretzky's last-game ceremonies in New York, lest people see his emotion. This is a guy who announced his retirement by conference call with no big ceremony. He didn't want it that way.

Now, only half a hockey season later, he sounds comfortable with the week ahead.

"I'm looking at it now as a celebration of my career and the reunion of people who put me in the position to have my sweater retired.

DRAMATIC CHANGES

"My life has changed dramatically the last couple of years. I'm so concerned about the kids and my new family. Having young kids and getting out of the game as healthy as I did after playing as long as I did ... it was enough."

Messier said he thinks he has his head wrapped around his banner-raising in New York and the one to follow in his hometown, where he won five of his six Stanley Cups as an Edmonton Oiler, and where a Hall of Fame induction is to come.

"It's something you have to go through. It's part of the whole cycle of a career. I'm not the first one who has done it."

He says he's come to understand that the emotion is part of the package. Why fight it?

"There's going to be emotion. There's your whole family who has been there all the way through. There's a lot of people who played big parts in the success you've had - a lot of people to say thank you to.

"In some regards, though, this will be easier than when it happens in Edmonton. I've been lucky because all the people out here see me as a New York Ranger and all the people in Edmonton see me as an Oiler. And that's the way I want it.

"Edmonton has been a huge part of my life. I was born and raised there. I grew up there as a hockey player.

ALL THE COACHES

"I think about all the coaches I had there growing up. I'm looking forward to coming to Edmonton and being in this situation as well. Paul Coffey said his was awesome."

I kidded that the New York banner-raising will be practice for Edmonton.

"There's no dress rehearsal for this," he laughed.

Messier said it was tough to experience Gretzky's farewell game and the ceremonies which went with it.

"I don't think there was anybody there who didn't feel any emotion," he said.

"That was a tough day for hockey in general. I know what he meant to me."

But Messier said he thinks being there that day will help him through this day.

"When it's your own party thrown for you, it's important to be gracious and humble."

Dealing with retirement is different.

"Having the lockout year definitely helped me prepare myself. I got used to a life away from the rink, away from hockey. When I retired, I was already used to the routine. The adjustment has been pretty smooth.

"I'm always going to miss the game. I don't think there's going to be a day for the next 20 or 30 years that I won't miss the game.

"Competing. Just playing the game. Playing the game was so much fun. The cameraderie. Being together as a team. All that is so ingrained. But life moves on."

With that, there was the sound of a two-year-old competing for his attention.

Offline ahcheungape

• Member+
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 07:44:54 AM »
haha ppl here in vancouver hate his guts! but maybe they will honor his career except wit us, the Canucks. But dang him and his Rangers took the standley cup away from us during 94 was a sad thing for this city.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 10:36:55 AM »
Vancouver is always in another world  :lol:

Holy Fuck. Watched the retirement ceremony and NY fuckin went all out. Everyone from the 1994 Cup Team showed up. Leetch showed up on TV. Graves and Richter talked.

I'm amazed they got the Stanley Cup too. Edmonton's gotta top this XDXD

Offline kaede

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 07:02:15 AM »
Quote from: ahcheungape
haha ppl here in vancouver hate his guts! but maybe they will honor his career except wit us, the Canucks. But dang him and his Rangers took the standley cup away from us during 94 was a sad thing for this city.

I'm from vancouver and I'm a big time Canucks fan.  His days in vancouver were not that bad.  But what a heartbreaking lost to the Rangers in 94  :evil:   :evil:  :evil:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 08:18:52 PM »
MARK MESSIER RETIREMENT CEREMONY IN EDMONTON!!

February 27, 2007 when the Coyotes visit!! FUCK. IN. RIGHTS!

Offline Carisear

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:04 PM »
that no good bum was the downfall of the canucks in 1996.  

well, he delivered in NY, that's all that really matters i guess.

Offline oragami33

• ecchi
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 09:47:47 PM »
One of the best PFs ever, amazing that he could play that way for that long

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 10:52:50 PM »
He was also the downfall of the Canucks in 94.  XD  I was rooting for the Canucks in 94, I still think Pavel Bure is one of the biggest examples of wasted talent ever.

If he was the downfall of the Canucks in 96, then they should have won the Cup by now.  Who was the downfall of the Canucks from 97 til now?  :P  And please don't say Bertuzzi, cuz he can still bring it.

Only appropriate that E-town gets the jersey raised.  Five cups there, one WITHOUT Gretz, compared to the one Cup in NY.

Offline Carisear

• Member+
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 03:48:46 AM »
Quote from: Kuno_Thunder;252114
He was also the downfall of the Canucks in 94.  XD  I was rooting for the Canucks in 94, I still think Pavel Bure is one of the biggest examples of wasted talent ever.

If he was the downfall of the Canucks in 96, then they should have won the Cup by now.  Who was the downfall of the Canucks from 97 til now?  :P  And please don't say Bertuzzi, cuz he can still bring it.

Only appropriate that E-town gets the jersey raised.  Five cups there, one WITHOUT Gretz, compared to the one Cup in NY.

CLOUTIER.  damn lout!  

pavel bure had his flashes of brilliance -- too bad his attitude was bad! and yah, mess was the downfall of the 'nucks in '94 too :P  

mess is definitely deserving of all the accolades he gets.  just not in vancouver! :)  i don't think anyone can ever question his skill, but more importantly, his heart that he brought to the game everyday.

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Alan - Yi Ge