JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Teriyaki Boyz - The Takeover

Author Topic: [Movie] John Woo's Red Cliff  (Read 14466 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[Movie] John Woo's Red Cliff
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:46:56 PM »
赤壁 aka Chek bik in Cantonese

John Woo return to Chinese films is Red Cliff, a historical epic based on part of classic Chinese novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Stars Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Zhang Fengyi, Chang Chen, Hu Jun, Lin Chi-ling and Zhao Wei. With an estimated budget of US$80 million, The Battle of Red Cliff is the most expensive Asian-financed film to date.

The film is expected to be released in two versions: within Asia, Red Cliff is to be released in two parts totaling over four hours in length, with the first part premiering in July 10 2008 and the second in January 2009. Outside of Asia, a single 2½ hour film will be released in January 2009.

SOURCE: http://www.monkeypeaches.com/battleofredcliff.html

Trailer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WDqamjm8lc4

Official sites:
Japanese: http://redcliff.jp/
Taiwan: http://th.foxmovies.com.tw/redcliff

Official Theme song by allan is called 'Xin Zhan' (心戰)
DOWNLOAD http://www.mediafire.com/?kdyinv9y1m2

Some posters:

THIS SHIT IS GONNA BE CRAZY!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:18:36 AM by Masa »

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
Re: John Woo's Red Cliff (2008.07.10 release)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:02:38 PM »
Quote from: xinhuanet
BEIJING, July 16 (Xinhua) -- John Woo's historical epic "Red Cliff", reportedly the most expensive film ever made in Asia, has earned 108 million yuan (15.8 million U.S. dollars) in Chinese mainland since its cinema debut last Thursday.

The opening weekend box office takings are a record for a Chinese film, compared to other domestic blockbusters such as Zhang Yimou's "Curse of the Golden Flower"(96 million yuan) and Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", the Shanghai-based Oriental Morning Post reported on Tuesday.

"Red Cliff" beat the Dreamworks production, "Kung Fu Panda", which earned about 50 million yuan in ticket sales on the opening weekend.

It also opened strongly in Taiwan, Hong Kong and elsewhere in Asia, including the Republic of Korea and Singapore, taking in a total of 25 million U.S. dollars across Asia.

Hollywood blockbuster "Transformers" took five days to break the 100 million yuan (15 million U.S. dollars) mark in the Chinesemainland last year.

"Red Cliff" revolves around the epic Battle of Red Cliffs in 208 AD, a decisive battle, immediately prior to China's Three Kingdoms period, between allied forces of the southern warlords Liu Bei and Sun Quan, and the numerically superior forces of the warlord Cao Cao.

Award-winning Hong Kong actor Tony Leung, Taiwan supermodel LinChi-ling and Taiwanese-Japanese heartthrob Takeshi Kaneshiro are among the film's A-list cast. Enditem
*looking for the 1st part*

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:02:16 AM »
Just watched it 4 days ago! Zhao Wei's character annoyed me :lol:. Zhou Yu was made out to be more heroic than he actually was?? I never read the book actually :P. The first part is more like an introduction for all main characters to me. Looking forward to the 2nd part!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
Zhao Wei is always annoying :lol:

Was there slow-mo sequences? I gotta find a screener .... was there Chow Yun Fat?

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:18:23 AM »
It is one of the best movies that I have ever seen. The cinematography and action scenes were amazing. It has touching and humorous scenes. I was worried that John had lost his talent. But it seems like he summoned up all of his talent from his earlier films and used it in this. This should win an oscar.
"This isn’t an invention, it’s a responsibility. We need to study this, and if we find that it will help mankind move peacefully forward, then we shall share it’s teachings, because we are not only men of science, we are men of hope."

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 02:35:07 AM »
WHOA. Props to Amp for the heads up too:

http://bt.avistaz.com/details.php?id=b65fe6255f8a448956a54a7cdccec033e5bee406

I'm a cop this shit cuz fuck, original Mando version baby.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 02:38:35 AM »
^ that's part 1, right? I don't understand why people like us only get a 2 hour movie..I definitely like to see the true version..

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »
This is only part 1. Part 2 will be out late this year or early next year. I read that the combined version movie will be released in the US early next year. They should release both parts separately in north america.
"This isn’t an invention, it’s a responsibility. We need to study this, and if we find that it will help mankind move peacefully forward, then we shall share it’s teachings, because we are not only men of science, we are men of hope."

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:09:35 AM »
^ Totally epic. You know the N.A. will be sliced and diced. I'm just jaw dropping at the cinematography alone...

Masa gave me this link a while ago lol, it's the 8 minute trailer seen at Cannes:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 03:37:51 AM »
I'm with claymore about the touching and humorous scenes. It's been a while since I really enjoyed a movie. I never thought about how long the movie was until it was over.

I can't wait to see part 2. I was like, "NOOOOOOOO!!!!" when it ended. My aunt kept joking about me and my brother going back to Bangkok for part 2.

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »
I don't know why I hesitated in stealing this when i had the chance? Seems i made an error in judgement.. Will watch it ASAP.
[/url]

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »
Just finished the first part. The battle scenes were nice. Didn't find any of the acting too cheesy. The atmosphere in the movie is fantastic. Definitely a sweet start to this delicious movie. Second part needs to get it's ass out, now.

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 03:31:36 AM »
http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/the-wait-for-red-cliff-is-over/ It will be out on Bluray and dvd in hong kong this month.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: [Movie] John Woo's Red Cliff
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »
Part II is dropping 2009/01 in Hong Kong, China and all over Asia later! :ondick:

The trailer: http://video.sina.com.cn/ent/m/c/2008-12-16/162130423.shtml

Tony's lid always cracks me up:

Various movie posters

PURE ACTION!!!

Offline sousora

• Winter is coming.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 从・ゥ・从
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:57 AM »
Badass. That trailer is awesome, but the second part isn't out here until April :(

Offline BakHamNoi

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 11:58:54 AM »
Red Cliff II is out on avistaz   :D

PS: maybe it's a bad quality one
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 12:03:11 PM by BakHamNoi »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »
I DL'd it and it ain't bad. Gotta watch it tho! My dad and his old buddies been bitchin that it ain't historically accurate. WELL NO SHIT lol. Even John Woo admitted it cuz it'd be too boring. Like Takeshi Kaneshiro's character is supposed to be a scholar not a warrior.

There's supposed to be this major Red Faced Warrior General character too, you can buy his china figurine along with the Gods of Fortune, Longevity, and Scholar guy.

Saw this John Woo interview too, talked about this love scene, and John Woo asked Tony Leung to help him suggest ideas and THEY did all the directing while he watched elsewhere on the monitor lol

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 08:42:27 PM »
I've now seen both of these films almost back to back... Fucking amazing!!! Almost perfect movies, both of them.

I didn't actually like the love making scene. :lol: but other than that... All the battles were so exciting and entertaining, just awesome. Loved the strategies, the characters, that everyone contributed to the battle. Sure, probably not very historically accurate (not that I would know), but a GREAT MOVIE. (can't help but think of it as one big movie)
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »
Magnet Will Be Bringing John Woo's Red Cliff to US Theaters

Announced at Cannes, Magnet Releasing, the genre label of Magnolia Pictures, will be distributing John Woo's two-part military epic Red Cliff in US theaters. The film already premiered in China last summer, but is being planned for a theatrical, VOD, and eventual DVD release in the US this fall. Magnet previously released Let the Right One In, Timecrimes, and Donkey Punch last year as part of the 6-Shooter Film Series. Apparently the theatrical version of the film will be combined into one two-and-a-half hour film, although it will be split for its DVD release. Red Cliff only played at the Tokyo Film Festival, but no other film fests.

Magnet senior vp Tom Quinn said that Woo's film is "provocative, jaw-dropping and epic." The is the first Cannes acquisition that Magnolia has announced from the fest this year. We've feature a few photos and details here and there over the last few years, including this beautiful poster most recently. Red Cliff is an epic Chinese-language adventure drama that stars Tony Leung as Zhou Yu, Takeshi Kaneshiro as Zhuge Liang, and Zhang Fengyi as Cao Cao, and tells the sprawling tale of the battle of Red Cliff, in which the imperial army took on warlords throughout the Chinese empire in a period at the end of the Han Dynasty.

We'll be sure to keep you updated on John Woo's Red Cliff, including when Magnet sets an actual date and when they release the first trailer. Until then, you can check out this very old teaser trailer and read all of our past articles, as linked below in related articles. I'm glad to see Red Cliff finally making it to America.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/15/magnet-will-be-bringing-john-woos-red-cliff-to-us-theaters/

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »
Movie hits selected U.S. theatres on November 20th!!!

JPHiP Radio (32/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Teriyaki Boyz - The Takeover