JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Speed - April

Author Topic: Cathedral row over video war game  (Read 3560 times)

Offline fsw

• Power Master
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Oh! Miwaaaaaaaa!
Cathedral row over video war game
« on: June 09, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
"The Church of England is considering legal action against entertainment firm Sony for featuring Manchester Cathedral in a violent PlayStation video game."

For those unfamiliar, the Church of England is the one started by Henry VIII, and the game in question is Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6736809.stm

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Cathedral row over video war game
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 03:09:48 AM »
LOL. Yeah, like Sony would remove one of the few good games from its dismal PS3's library from stores.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 03:32:24 PM »
^ lol exactly. And it's not like this is the first time a game uses real world locations as part of it's gameplay narrative.

Offline Loopy

• The Superior
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:40:19 PM »
I giggled like a schoolgirl on crack  :lol:

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »
I heard about this on the radio...it's something I can definately imagine happening.

But how can a denomination(is that the right phrase) of Christianity take legal action...how does it work?? O.o

set made by me
Here's me singing and dancing!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=15604.0

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 06:15:12 PM »
Tony Blair gives his thoughts on the situation

Best part was when it said that Resistance 'extols gun violence'. It's like saying Cooking Mama encourages knife crime.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:18:11 PM by Tuffty »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:34:50 PM »
Does cooking mama have you stabbing people to death? It's not the same.

The cathedral is an actual place, and I don't think it's right to just put it in your video games in a not too positive situation without the permission of the people who own it. Yeah, games use real world locations all the time, but just cause it happens all the time doesn't make it any more right.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »
Does cooking mama have you stabbing people to death? It's not the same.

That was my point :D

The cathedral is an actual place, and I don't think it's right to just put it in your video games in a not too positive situation without the permission of the people who own it. Yeah, games use real world locations all the time, but just cause it happens all the time doesn't make it any more right.

To be fair, a church is seen as a public building. And you don't need permission for an artistic interpretation. The only thing Sony can do is to perhaps remodel the setting to make it look less like the cathedral. There, everybody's happy.

It's the bigger issue though that annoys me. To the ignorant, the game is set in the modern day, with teenage chavs running around and shooting people on the streets of Manchester as some form of glorification. It's not. The context is one of saving humanity, not of random GTA style killings. In fact, I'd like to see Sony to use the word 'aliens' as many times as they possibly can when communicating with the church and MP's. And when weapons are mentioned they use the proper in-game names, like hedgehog grenade, with a straight face.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 06:29:09 AM »
Video games being artistic interpretations is a different issue I don't really want to get into lol

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Speed - April