JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Aya - Ame ni Utaeba

Author Topic: PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS  (Read 12312 times)

Offline takashi12

• *愛チュウ~*
  • ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
I'm currently choosing whether to purchase PSP or Nintendo DS,

I'm not really up to date on these technological things..

So, Can someone suggest the benefits of PSP / Nintendo DS?

and also, what games are associated with each? :)

ありがとう rei.rev.o7 <3

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 11:08:52 PM »
This should really be in the Akihabara section methinks.

But to answer your question, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses as you say. The PSP is obviously, a very sexy machine. Wide screen, mp3 player, movies, internet and depending on the game, can match the PS2 in terms of graphical power. Some of the best games I would say are Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops, GTA Vice City : Stories, Syphon Filter and Lumines. Weaknesses though are that usually, most games are almost carbon copies of those on the PS2 and so, there isn't many distinctive, original titles out there (bar the titles  I  mentioned)

The DS is a genius, wonderful machine with many truly great original games. Play Phoenix Wright and I can guarantee you can't help but smile. Some of the best titles that I can gather of it are New Super Mario Bros, Brain Training, Zoo Keeper and Elite Beat Agents. Most obvious disadvantage that some would say is the consoles lack of graphical prowess, but I don't care about that really. At the end of the day, the gameplay is what matters, and for the most part, they really do deliver.

I don't know which one I'd recommend over the other tbh. If you want a machine that can do other multimedia services then go for the PSP. If it's the actual gameplay you want, then go for the DS.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 11:40:24 PM »
Quote from: everfree;291221
I don't know if PSP has Wi-Fi to play multiplayer with other people but DS has and amazingly -- it actually works well

The PSP can play wirelessly against other people. Not with every game, but with titles like Syphon Filter and MGS : Portable Ops you can. Amazingly, the DS is the one that won't work with me! :(

Offline takashi12

• *愛チュウ~*
  • ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 11:46:40 PM »
So for DS, there is a microphone in the thing right?
And I heard that DS has wireless as well, what is the wireless for anyways?

Btw, Anyone played Nintendog before? I think I would purchase that if I were to get a DS..

Another question, what is the difference between DS and DS lite?

ありがとう rei.rev.o7 <3

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:10:30 AM »
DS Lite is smaller than the DS and the screen is brighter. I forget if there's anything else different.

I have a DS and I really like it, but I've only played two games on PSP(Tekken 5: DR and Monster Hunter) so I don't know much about the games available on it. There are a lot of nice puzzle games if you like those. There are also lots of other games that are really easy to pick up, play for a few minutes, and stop. With the few games I've seen on PSP, they have long load times, so it makes playing for just a few minutes a little harder.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:54:37 AM »
My brother has a psp and my sister has a DS lite, and I probably use both more than either of them :lol:

Really the only reason too get a psp is if you'd like to play music, watch videos, or go online. It's actually not bad as you can also do media rss feeds with it. Most games are really just like ps2 games, which is a good thing but also a bad thing. As there are some good games, but they don't really take advantage of the fact that the psp is a portable system. But there are some games that do make good portable games as Lumines or Metal Gear Acid. Alot of games also have wireless adhoc or wi-fi multiplayer. But too take full advantage of the psp you have to buy atleast a 1gb memory stick. They used to cost 100USD but currently they go for less than 50 almost everywhere. I remember some places sold 2gb sticks for about 50USD during major holiday sales.

If you get a ds get a ds lite unless you're really short on cash, but since you have psp in mind I doubt that's the case. The difference with the old ds and the dslite are the dslite is smaller, has a better screen, looks sexier, and has built in wi-fi. The old ds has local multiplayer but you have to buy a wifi adapter to use it on wi-fi. The main difference between the ds and psp is that unlike the psp, the ds is pretty much purely a gaming system so there is also a major price difference. Even though ds is for games it is inferior to the psp hardware wise, but that also gives the ds a little more battery life. What makes up for that is that most ds games take advantage of what the ds has to offer. They use of the stylus is actually a pretty nice thing as it makes some games feel a little more interactive. And the addition of wi-fi support has helped improve the multiplayer experience. You could also buy an internet browser for the ds but I never used it so I don't know much about it.

I never played nintendogs but my brother has and it looks like he was having fun with it. I guess it's pretty nice if you can't have a real dog or just hate picking up shit :lol:

So it really comes down to whether you want a nice portable entertainment system with some pretty good games or a nice portable gaming system that's pretty fun to use and I have to say is a much cheaper investment.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 02:00:56 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:56:23 AM »
A DS, obviously.

[edit] I should probably put real reasons, huh?  Well, DS has better games for me.  I have Nintendogs and Tetris, which I probably play the most.  I also have that doctor game and a few others like sudoku and brain age.  I think if you just want to shoot things though they have more types of games for that on the PSP.  If you like regular games the way they are or dislike the idea of touching a screen, then get the PSP.  If you want to try new games and watch the innovation, get a DS.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 02:02:07 AM by Gray »
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline takashi12

• *愛チュウ~*
  • ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 02:24:20 AM »
^ Thanks for all your valuable opinions :D

@ Streakin the sky:

DS lite has a Wi-fi? what is a wi-fi? lmfao Sorry I really don't know this

and internet browser? So it can go on the internet as well if this program is installed?

-----------

Question:

I heard from people that you can download torrents and get games for Nintendo DS.. Does this apply to DS lite as well?

And what is the site? (if anyone knows)

ありがとう rei.rev.o7 <3

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 03:11:43 AM »
Wi-fi means that you can play with anyone else in the world if you have wireless internet.

And whatever applies for the DS also applies to the DS lite.

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 03:42:38 AM »
game quality wise, i'd say get a DS, it has some of the best handheld games i've played (Polarium, Meteos, Castlevania, Gyakuten Saiban, and FFIII remake).. not to mention it also plays GBA games, which doubles up the library. also has Opera now, for surfing and of course, Wi-Fi.

BUT

the PSP too is quite enticing, also have quailty games (LUMINES, TekkenDR, Tons of Classics Collections), and of course, multimedia stuff like video and mp3's.

IF you want to get all geeky... read on.

personally, for me, the main advantage of the PSP, is the better emulation capabilities, with the right know-how, you can play old-school consoles like the Snes and Genesis, etc., and as of firmware ver3.0, there is now a way to play PS1 (yes, playstation 1) games, Must have big memcard though... so, the sucky PSP game library is forgiven, because you can still play some classic games from past consoles....

emulation is not really "acknowledged" though, hehe.

final vote: depends on you actually :P
i have both, so... XD

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline momo23

• Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 04:34:08 AM »
there are a certain few games that are good like GTA LCS, vice city, metal gear among others.  you can even play japanese games on the PSP (the PSP is all region compatible for games only), I have initial D street stage which is japan only

you can use the internet browser in the PSP to go online and go to websites.  I personally like it for it's multimedia capabilities.

with a computer program, you can even create AVC videos for PSP, I have done it with Hello Mornings at 768kbps quality video, comes out to about 283mb, I have done it with other videos too

you can have 480x272 wallpapers display on the main screen, I have a few MM ones myself

The DS is good too, I like using the touch pen alot  lol  can't wait for Zelda Phantom Hourglass to come out

Offline kaminokami2086

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 05:54:41 AM »
If you want a portaple gaming system your best bet is to go with the DS. The library they have has much better gameplay quality than most PSP games. But if you want a multimedia system, than the PSP is the way to go, but for me only 3 games on PSP I would play as compared to 20 on DS.

Offline Waseem

PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 06:38:17 AM »
When ps3 is out you'll probably have wished you got a psp.  I only have a DS at current, but to be honest i wish i knew more titles on it as from first glance there arent that many.  It's pretty limited in what it can do, nice for quick gaming and thats about it.  I sort of wanted more ports of games on it as i dont own a nintendo, but thats just about impossible with current gen considering the machines capability.

Psp is a handheld mulitimedia system, get a big enough memory stick and you can watch anything from Momusu to Simpsons on it, play music, store decent sized pics and play online.  I'll get it when the ps3 is out and hopefully its cross functionality is actually good.  Looking forward to a decent back catalogue of downloadable ps1 games for it too.

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 07:01:24 AM »
I think it's worth mentioning that you can also view Videos and Music using the DS with a thing called "MAX Media" (will get a link in a second)

Datel MAX Media Dock for Nintendo DS ($80 at Best Buy, comes with 1gb card)

Think you can only use your Nintendo DS Lite for gameplay on the go? Not so. Use the MAX Media Dock to morph your DS Lite into a home entertainment system jam-packed with powerful capabilities. Receive movie playback, music on the move, and a convenient picture viewer that's playable from almost any CompactFlash card. It's a PC, a DVD player, a digital camera and an MP3 player, all wrapped up in one "deliteful" package.

Datel's exclusive MAX Media Player software drives the dock. Simply insert the cartridge into the game slot on your DS Lite, and boot up the feature-filled browser. In just a few easy steps, you'll be well on your way to watching videos, viewing your JPEGs and listening to your favorite MP3 audio tracks. You can even access playable programs through the bountiful browser.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 07:13:33 AM »
Quote from: momo23;291442
there are a certain few games that are good like GTA LCS, vice city, metal gear among others.  you can even play japanese games on the PSP (the PSP is all region compatible for games only), I have initial D street stage which is japan only
The DS can play games from any region, too.

Offline xerony

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 04:58:21 PM »
Psp is a nice portable media player with a huge screen. bringing you audio and video support and even ps1 games with an emulator
Ds is truly a gaming machine bringing you fun game play
Both could browse the internet, but psp does the job better.
too bad I don't have a psp :(

Quote from: takashi12;291315

Question:

I heard from people that you can download torrents and get games for Nintendo DS.. Does this apply to DS lite as well?

And what is the site? (if anyone knows)

At first everything for normal DS works on a DS-lite. Only the Opera browser has separated versions. And also some flashcards that use the GBA slot could only work on a DS-lite. Because they made the GBA cartridge smaller so it doesn't stick out
There are flashcards for DS. for example m3 simple or ninjaDS. They look a bit like a normal Nintendo DS cartridge . Or older ones are bigger or as a GBA cartridge. Problem with older carts could be the compatibility isn't really good
You can easily connect those flashcards over USB to put the games you downloaded on it. The compatibility is pretty good of those cards.

Should i just spam a site that sells it ? and a torrent site to download games ?....

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 05:09:47 PM »
I'd choose the DS lite. Cheaper than PSP and has better games.

Offline delerium

• Ass & Titties
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Quote from: StreakInTheSky;291283
The difference with the old ds and the dslite are the dslite is smaller, has a better screen, looks sexier, and has built in wi-fi. The old ds has local multiplayer but you have to buy a wifi adapter to use it on wi-fi.

Errr... this is just plain wrong. Both the original DS and DS Lite have the same wireless functions.

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 12:09:52 AM »
I guess i should save if you wanna get a good advanced system,  but don't want to be a show off or anything, just want to buy any game for a decent price, go with a regular DS its cheaper. If you don't want any fancy mp3 players,  RSS or things like that, because you have a computer or mp3 for that, and want to save money, get a Regular DS. It also may be much more fun than a psp if you like using a touchpad.

IF all the above sounds good then I would definately go with an Original DS
 If you don't mind paying more money, and want your hand held as small as possible, go with a DS Lite (it has basically the same features as regular DS, but is just smaller and costs more and has different colors to choose from, and more recent skins). If you prefer Sony Games over Nintendo's games, (which most people don't), go with the PSP. It has mp3 player, movie player built in.  If you are familiar with emulators and homebrew on game consoles, read up and definately go with the PSP. Its much cheaper and more memory allowed, and faster processor to use homebrew apps and emulators etc on PSP than DS.
PSP is also customizable such as skins etc.

As far as the official games go, It all depends on your taste.
I would check a games list somewhere like http://www.gamespot.com for an official games list and compare. If the most important thing is the official games. Its usually better to go buy your own taste with games that you want, because you may be diapointed with the games on either handheld if you just go by someone's word.
Quote from: delerium;292324
Errr... this is just plain wrong. Both the original DS and DS Lite have the same wireless functions.
Yes you're right. I previously owned the old DS and used the DS Lite. The old one's wireless is built in.  The adapter is only if you don't have a wireless network, you can start a wirless network (specifically for the DS) with ease. *note i have a psp now.

XD sorry its so long but I think this will help
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:19:01 AM by lilday »
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline Tora

PSP v.s. NINTENDO DS
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 12:17:42 AM »
Let's put it this way, if your a girl, get a DS because it's more gamer friendly.  I think more girls will like pick it up and play games rather than shooter and rpg games.  You'll enjoy having fun with the touch screen, playing nintendo dogs, super mario, wario ware..etc.  If your a guy, a psp would be for you just because playstation has more games for the adult and male audience.  Even though the PSP is an mp3 player and can play movies, the battery life sucks, so I'd rather get myself an ipod if I wanted to listen to music.  Though I'm a guy and I have a DS and i'm glad I got one over the psp, becuase now I have more cash in my pocket, :).  Also my DS is my alarm clock too.  It comes in handy.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Aya - Ame ni Utaeba