JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 2NE1 - Lonely

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 993708 times)

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #3360 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »

Since I've turned into a whole different kind of weirdo on a number of social media outlets, I thought I'd make a post... :P

--

So, I fiiinally played Life is Strange. I somehow managed to stay completely unspoiled all this time and I still don't want to discuss the game in too much detail yet because there's still some people here that need to play it, you know who you are.

Suffice to say, the story took me through every emotion imaginable, I've never related to the characters and events of a video game quite like this. Some of the stuff just fucked me up for a good while.

This was me in the final bit, tho (ENDING SPOILERS).  XD

Life is Strange is like my Buffy the Vampire Slayer of video games. I got attached to it in a very similar way I did to BtVS back in the day. LiS actually takes a lot of inspiration from BtVS (and a ton of other cool shows), so there's one connection... it also spawned a very similar community, which is wonderful and weird and chock full of content, fanfics, fan art and endless discussions on choices, morality, the works. I've been going down that rabbit hole and it's a really good time. xD

I'm also hopelessly in love with quite smitten by Hannah Telle (the voice actress of Max) who essentially IS Max, just 10 years older and a singer/songwriter instead of a photographer ahaha.

...well, guess I'm generally attracted to cute, awkward dorks.

--

So I'm late to the LiS party but hey, timing's still not too bad. Let's talk Before the Storm, the 3-episode prequel that's due to arrive on the 31st of this month.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm tells the story of a 16-year old Chloe three years before the events of Life is Strange. It's developed by Deck Nine Games, who had nothing to do with the original (though they insist they're massive fans of the original, be that fluff or not). Dontnod, the original devs, are working on Life is Strange 2 with a completely new setting and characters (which is both really awesome and a little sad).

Of course, Life is Strange works perfectly as a 5-episode story, so some normal people (you know, the kind who aren't reading fanfics and browsing fanart daily) might feel that a prequel is unnecessary.

Then there's the lack of original voice actors (chiefly Ashly Burch who was fantastic as the original Chloe) due to the voice actor strike, different devs, lack of a certain mechanic... many good reasons for skepticism. And if you didn't like Chloe in Life is Strange, this... might not be the game for you. :P 

--

I feel like there's plenty of potential in this, however... Chloe is a very different kind of protagonist compared to Max, so her viewpoints, actions and dialogue should feel fresh. Sure, she's even less mature than in LiS, but she's young and things have been going pretty damn shitty for her lately. This article made some good points about that. (quite spoilerific tho, both LiS and Bts)

Also, C+R is possibly the most interesting untold story and dynamic in Life is Strange. There's quite a few characters who don't get fleshed out a whole lot in the game, and Rachel is one that stands out in more ways than one, for obvious reasons. There's also stuff like, remember where the Doe first appears in the junkyard? Yeah... some people would prefer Rachel to remain a mystery but I'm not one of those people.

I've tried to avoid the gameplay videos as best as I can, but I've watched some footage. I'm actually just fine with the voice work, the gameplay and the dialogue I've seen and heard so far. The devs are unproven, but just getting more games like this (and new devs working on games like these) I think is super important. I think at the very worst it'll feel like a well made fanfic in game form, if that makes sense. And I'll take that any day. I need my fix, damn it! I also admit I pre-ordered the deluxe edition already, but I was kind of drunk and emotional at the time. xD

--

One thing that's pretty much guaranteed to be on point is the music. Life is Strange had a really fucking good soundtrack suited and tailored for the kind of protagonist and character Max was, and so far it looks like BtS is going to do the same with Chloe. The licensed tracks used so far are just stellar choices musically and lyrically.

"And though I once said I was better off just being dead
Better off just being dead, without my old friend
True, I once said, I was better off just being dead
But I didn't know you yet"

"Follow me home, pretend you
Found somebody to mend you

I feel numb
I feel numb in this kingdom"

--

Both really fantastic bands, btw... can't recommend enough. And I found them via these trailers/preview vids, so BtS has already justified its existence. :P

Oh yeah almost forgot Pretty Vicious are also featured... good, fitting stuff as well.

Welp, words. I better go collect some bottles now.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3361 on: August 08, 2017, 01:21:00 AM »
I liked Life is Strange a lot, the licensed music really added to the whole experience. A really well told character driven story in a setting that isn't really touched in most games (how many ask you to play as a female high school student after all?) . In spite of <certain time mechanic> aspects it all wraps up pretty well too. After playing Remember Me, the studios first game, I enjoyed the story and setting more than the gameplay and was hoping they could learn from it all for their next game and sure enough they did.

Not sure how necessary a prequel is though, I guess they can tell a decent enough story with Chloe by herself but I dunno, it doesn't feel...necessary? IMO any sequel should be an all new cast, maybe even a different time and place.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:01:09 PM by Stryfe »

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #3362 on: August 08, 2017, 02:06:50 AM »
I really should play Remember Me, I've had it for a good while actually...

Not sure how necessary a prequel is though, I guess they can tell a decent enough story with Chloe by herself but I dunno, it doesn't feel...necessary? IMO any sequel should be an all new cast, maybe even a different time and place.

Yeah, it's like, I don't think anyone really expected anything other than a proper sequel (that would probably take place somewhere else) by Dontnod.

Then the Deck Nine prequel was announced, out of left field. Weirdos like me would probably welcome seven different prequels or even sequels based in Arcadia Bay. I think out of all the possible prequel ideas this is the best, at least. Taking the most major character other than Max and putting her in a very interesting period of her life, I can dig it.

The best thing really is that we're getting both Life is Strange 2 AND Before the Storm. Tough to complain there really. :P
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:05:28 PM by Stryfe »

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #3363 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »

Damn, Daughter are actually scoring Before the Storm. I knew there'd be their stuff involved since one trailer had an unreleased song of theirs playing in the end.

But nope, there's actually 13 new tracks on itunes at least, not available to listen to yet. Love the band, so... good times. Can expect a darker feel, which seems appropriate.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/life-is-strange-before-storm-music-from-original-game/id1266370800
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 09:58:27 PM by Stryfe »

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #3364 on: August 12, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »

Daughter discuss the making of the Before the Storm soundtrack in this clip. The little snippet used as outro music sounds pretty great.

I've been mostly listening to Daughter and Speedy Ortiz since I discovered them in the preview stuff. Both actually did great KEXP lives (Daughter / Speedy Ortiz) so I was wondering if the music director is stalking that channel for bands to include or something... :P

--

Deck Nine also did a reddit ama regarding BtS recently. (spoilers obviously)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:07:35 PM by Stryfe »

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
Re: Life is Strange Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #3365 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »

Aahhh launch trailer is out... almost there now.

--

Finished LiS the second time, funnily enough I made almost all the same choices. There's a lot of fun stuff I missed tho, and of course I meticulously searched for all the optional photos as well. Good times.

Maybe a third playthrough before BtS is a bit much... might just watch other people play it. And, uhh, play this some more.  :nervous

;_;
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:13:27 PM by Stryfe »

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #3366 on: August 31, 2017, 04:04:09 AM »
Black Manta is pretty bad ass!

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #3367 on: September 22, 2017, 07:12:11 AM »
the Ghost War open beta is pretty cool (it's Ghost Recon Wildlands' PvP mode)

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #3368 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »
Forza Motorsport 7 is fuckin' AWESOME  :thumbup :yossi: :otomerika:

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3369 on: October 04, 2017, 04:33:53 AM »

Game publishers apparently releasing their...everything this month?! :shocked:
Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

Offline styuio

« Reply #3370 on: October 19, 2017, 06:38:49 PM »
Anyone here plays or playing mmorpg lot? I took months break from mmorpg and I started to get into again. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some mmorpg that allows you to do pvp and level up through pvp like World of Warcraft and Star Wars The Old Republic, which I have quit. I was hoping to find other games before I go back to those.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3372 on: November 10, 2017, 12:11:18 AM »
I'm currently playing the latest Assassin's Creed and it's difficult to stop.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3373 on: February 06, 2018, 12:35:55 AM »
Yakuza 6 got pushed back about a month. I was hoping I would be able to enjoy it during my break. :doh:
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3374 on: March 25, 2018, 03:26:28 PM »
Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

Offline bsijp

• Member+
[FREE] Enter to Win 1 "Mini Metro" Steam Key
« Reply #3375 on: April 08, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »
Deleted...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:21:03 AM by bsijp »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #3376 on: April 15, 2018, 08:38:20 PM »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline bsijp

• Member+
« Reply #3377 on: April 18, 2018, 06:21:12 AM »
Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander (LIGHTSPEED EDITION)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/651660/Halcyon_6_Starbase_Commander_LIGHTSPEED_EDITION/

Strategy - Indie - RPG - Simulation - Space - Pixel Graphics - Turn-Based Combat - Sci-fi

https://gleam.io/FGQjE/enter-to-win-1-halcyon-6-starbase-commander-steam-key
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:51:09 AM by bsijp »

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3378 on: April 27, 2018, 12:07:43 AM »

Offline bsijp

• Member+
« Reply #3379 on: April 28, 2018, 04:50:22 AM »
Rakuen

http://store.steampowered.com/app/559210/Rakuen/

https://gleam.io/At3cZ/enter-to-win-1-rakuen-steam-key

Steam Trading Cards           
Steam Achievements

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 2NE1 - Lonely