JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - Sneaker Song!

Author Topic: Crimson [Chapter Six, 7/9]  (Read 9760 times)

Offline Quietriot

• Yankiifest 2012
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • do a thing make a writing
Crimson [Chapter Six, 7/9]
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:20:11 AM »
Table of Contents

Chapters One-Four (You are here!)
Chapter Five
Chapter Six

Moving this outta the sketchbook cuz like, what was I thinking, there's no way this is a short story. XD I know I have two other fics and that one is in limbo, oh well, I DO WHAT I WANT. Plus it's werewolves and magic and an art major's take on science (read: BS) XD

Chapter one is basically the three parts I had in the one-shot thread all smushed together. Next chapter coming, like, soon. Maybe tonight. :P Enjoy~

Crimson, Chapter One

Steel boots crunched through snow and brush as their wearer tramped sluggishly through the forest, her steps shaky and unstable. The armor had done the woman little good against razor sharp fangs and claws, and with every move she made, blood oozed from the wounds at her shoulder and at her hip, leaving behind a trail of crimson stark against the frozen earth. She knew very well that she wouldn't get far in this condition, but the woman pressed on, desperate to escape the borders of the wood before she succumbed to unconsciousness... perhaps even death.

With her good arm she gripped her shoulder tightly, attempting to stem the flow of blood a bit, and in her injured one was her sword, dark and slick with the life of her more unfortunate opponents. She was having great trouble keeping hold of it, and thus the tip dragged along the ground, scraping roughly against every rock and root it encountered.

The woman lurched suddenly, swaying dangerously into a tree, her sword falling to the ground with a clang. She slid down against the trunk until she was seated, grunting as her wounds complained in waves of pain.

This was it. She could not will her aching muscles to move any farther, and the blood loss clouded her ability to think. Even if she had the strength to stand, at this point she no longer knew where she was going. As the snow chilled her body, she drew her red cloak tight around herself for what little comfort it would provide.

As she lay there waiting for the darkness to take her, the woman's thoughts were of the people she loved: her best friend, torn to pieces while defending her home, her parents, likely dead as well, and her sister, whom she hoped was faring better than she. Hot tears burned trails down her cheeks, and she leaned her head back against the tree, silently mourning all that had been lost.

And then anger washed away the sorrow, and she gritted her teeth hard to hold back the bile that burned in her throat.

The attack had come with no warning at all, no provocation, not even a glimpse of suspicious activity around the borders of the city. Instead, the wolves had descended upon them in the night like deadly shadows, destroying everything in sight, everything she had held dear. There was simply no time to react; her years of training to slay the beasts were useless in the face of an ambush so carefully calculated. And with them being so easily outnumbered...

She did not deserve to be a knight after such failure. It would have been better that she died alongside the others than to suffer the cruel fate of lingering here. The woman coughed weakly as she allowed fresh tears to fall for herself.

A branch snapped somewhere nearby, and she lifted her head slightly, unable to discern if the sound was real or hallucination. Even now with death breathing down her neck, her instinct was to reach for her sword, and she pulled the weapon towards her, propping it up against her knee as best she could.

Her eyes had begun to flutter shut as a large shape emerged from the trees in front of her, and though black spots were taking over her vision, the low rumble that followed told her all she needed to know.

Of course... I've left a trail so thick even a cub would be able to find me here...

"Well, well..." A voice, sounding much more like a constant growl than anything else, brusquely interrupted the silence, "Never in my life did I expect to see a Red in these parts... And never in a thousand lifetimes one so near her final breath..."

The woman coughed out a laugh, smirking as best she could.

"Have you come to kill me, wolf? I spilled the blood of at least three of your brothers before I came to be here..."

The figure loomed closer to the woman, to where she could now fully make out the details even as her vision was fading. It was a giant wolf, standing a good six feet from massive paw to shoulder, light brown fur easily contrasting with the snow. The woman noted that the beast was a bit more slender and much less wild-looking than the wolves that had laid siege to her home, almost like a dog, and she thought this was peculiar until her eyes landed on something secured around the wolf's neck.

A collar, fashioned of a length of leather and pieces of metal--the knight knew from experience this was silver--was fastened tightly around the beast's neck, obviously much too small as it was embedded into fur and skin.

A slave...

"My brothers?" The wolf questioned, something akin to amusement coloring its' growl, "I have no brothers here. And neither do you, it would seem..."

The knight feebly lifted the tip of her sword, pointing it towards the wolf's neck as it padded closer.

"I have some bite left in me." She warned, having no intention of going down without a struggle.

But the wolf stopped moving, settling down on its hind legs in front of the knight and lowering its head so that the woman could look into piercing golden eyes.

"Indeed. What is your name, Red?"

Never once lowering her sword, the woman used her good arm to prop herself up against the tree as best she could.

"Niigaki Risa." Came the labored response, "What do you intend to do with me, wolf?"

"I intend for you to rest."

Those golden eyes began to blur in the knight's vision, and were the last thing Risa saw before she faded, a peaceful haze overtaking her.

----------

The dark-haired woman was staring quietly out of one of the castle's large glass windows, her expression neutral as she scanned the forest below for signs of life. It had been over a day now since her partner sent out her... "pet" on a retrieval mission, and there had been no word of the wolf's return yet. Not that she was worried, of course; she cared little about what happened to the beast. But if Aika didn't come back alive, their research would be sure to grind to a halt, perhaps even cease altogether; that was a thought she refused to entertain, particularly now as she and her partner were entering their fifth year of working on this project.

She was Michishige Sayumi and she was known simply as, in laymen's terms, a witch. Her affinity for magic began developing at a very early age, and was realized one day when she accidentally turned her younger brother into a toad. Fortunately, a traveling wizard happened to be passing through her hometown at the time and managed to rectify the problem before any real permanent damage was done, though afterwards on occasion she had caught her brother eyeing houseflies with rapt attention. The wizard had lectured her parents on how obvious it was that she needed training to gain control over her abilities, and within a month she was shipped off to the capital city to study magic at the Academy.

She easily surpassed her peers in skill and ability, and every year she ranked top of her class. Before long she was the one teaching others, and was frequently called upon by the royal family to aid in magical disputes, despite her young age.

That was where her partner came in. Tanaka Reina was a spitfire and recent graduate of one of the kingdom's most prestigious medical schools; a surgeon by trade, the girl was ambitious and fancied herself a scientist of sorts. Their first meeting ended in a shouting match that nearly evolved into a full-blown fist fight, simply because their ideologies were so wholly different from each other. Sayumi believed that magic was the solution to most of the world's problems while Reina put her stock in science.

An alliance between them would have never occurred naturally, but the two were referred by higher-ups in their respective fields and brought together for a very specific task: they were to use their talents to develop a cure for lycanthropy.

They set up their base of operations in the castle; an abandoned military fortress that had been converted into a trading outpost over the last several years. Reina had the dungeons converted into a laboratory of sorts, and together they spent countless hours of research and testing in it. Of course, finding specimens to use was the difficult part, as no werewolf would voluntarily offer themselves up, and neither she or Reina had the skills to capture the beasts. Primarily they relied on the service of the Red Knights, whose entire existence was based on slaying and enslaving the lycans, but even then it was rare that the Reds managed to bring a wolf back alive.

With Aika, they had been extraordinarily lucky. The kid had survived a lycan raid while sustaining major wounds, and managed to live through the painful process of the venom turning her into something less-than-human. Though Sayumi carried a distaste for the wolves in general, she had to admit that Aika's cooperation and willingness to submit to their trials was impressive--and she had no doubt many of the treatments were excruciatingly painful. The girl adored Reina more anyway, and followed the young scientist around the grounds like a puppy, probably because the woman treated her... well, like a human being.

But she's not.

Sayumi sighed, narrowing her eyes. Reina's bleeding heart was sure to cause them trouble someday...

"Have you seen her yet?"

A voice broke into her thoughts and Sayumi turned to see her partner standing at the doorway, looking as though she was trying hard not to be too hopeful. The elder of the two shook her head, turning back to glance outside as the other woman joined her at her side.

"I haven't seen the dog yet, no. It's still not been too incredibly long, though..."

"I told you, she's not 'dog' or 'pet' or 'slave,'" Reina replied with a huff as she bristled next to the witch, "Her name is Aika. And maybe you don't care, but it hurts her when you call her things like that. It's not like she chose this... It's a terrible curse and burden for her to bear."

Sayumi shrugged, tossing raven-colored locks back over her shoulders. Reina could scold all she wanted to, but it wouldn't change how she felt; a wolf was a wolf.

Suddenly the scientist jumped and pointed at something in the distance, and the witch followed her finger to spot what had been seen. A flash of crimson was racing against the snow, a tiny pinprick in the distance, and as it neared Sayumi realized it was a cloak; specifically, the signature trademark of a Red. The cloak's wearer was slung limply over Aika's back, and even from the tower the witch could tell the knight was badly injured.

Perhaps they'd be lucky again a second time.

In an instant, Reina darted out of the room with Sayumi on her heels, the duo descending from the tower as fast as their legs would carry. When they reached the main hall, the servants were already opening the giant wooden entrance, and Aika burst inside, scattering snow and dirt all over the floor. The exhausted girl was already returning to her human form, and Reina was there with a warm fluffy cloak to drape around the werewolf's shoulders, while Sayumi and the servants eased the unconscious knight to the ground.

"I... ran as fast as I could..." Aika panted, drawing the cloak tight around her bare skin. "She's still holding on to life, but she was horribly weak to begin with when I found her..."

"How ironic that it should be a knight..." Reina murmured to herself, allowing the younger girl to lean on her for support. Her eyes briefly settled on the knight's face, observing her features. The woman couldn't have been much older than herself, even.

"Are you sure she was bitten?" Sayumi asked from her knees, glancing up at the werewolf with an eyebrow raised.

"Positive. The venom is all over those wounds. And she was the only survivor for miles..."

"Either way..." Reina cut in quietly, "She's hurt and we need to treat her now or she won't make it through the night whether she's infected or not."

The scientist motioned to the servants to carry the knight, and then she made her way towards the dungeons, Sayumi and Aika trailing behind. She could only hope the girl was as much a fighter on the inside as she looked.

----------

"Put her on the table there," Reina motioned to the servants, who laid Risa out on a raised stone slab in the center of the room. The main area of the laboratory had once been the dungeon's torture chamber, a fact that never failed to set the scientist on edge whenever she set foot inside. Though it had been completely gutted and refashioned with the proper equipment and looked nothing like its previous incarnation, the atmosphere always seemed a bit oppressive, and Aika complained of hearing faint screams now and then. Reina attributed this to the unending mysteries behind lycanthropy, and had long since ceased to doubt the younger girl's claims...

Impatiently dismissing the servants with her hand, the impulsive young woman hovered over the table, able to see her patient more clearly now under the lights--strange orbs that were some trick of Sayumi's, intended to hover around anyone who entered the room.

"Help me get her armor and clothing off."

Aika obediently moved to begin undoing the knight's boots, and Reina shot a pointed glance at Sayumi, who stood off to the side with her arms crossed.

"She's bleeding all over the place," The witch stated dryly, making it obvious she wasn't about to lift a finger. "I don't do blood."

Reina snorted, biting back the urge to comment that there wasn't much Sayumi did do other than make her life difficult. Soon she and the werewolf had rid the knight of all barriers, and the scientist winced at the sight of the deep wounds on the woman's shoulder. Lycan fangs could crush metal like dead autumn leaves, and the venom they transmitted was extremely potent and nine times out of ten, fatal. If a human wasn't ripped to shreds during an attack, the poison was sure to kill them. Rarely was a person fortunate enough to be consumed by the curse instead.

"She's got a great body, though~"

The scientist scowled at her partner's words, quickly draping a white sheet over Risa's body.

"Pervert," She hissed, though she couldn't control the way her face heated up at the words, "Make yourself useful and conjure up some water, will ya?"

Sayumi smirked devilishly, but complied nevertheless, murmuring words in an ancient tongue, drawing water from the air to coalesce into a sphere that hovered in between her hands. This Reina passed pieces of cloth through and used them to clean Risa's wounds. As she worked, she realized Aika was shifting uncomfortably at her side, and the scientist looked to see that the werewolf was fidgeting with the collar about her neck, fingers recoiling in pain each time they accidentally brushed against the silver bits.

"It's about time we built you a new one, I think," Reina commented, nodding at the device, "You've outgrown the last three so fast..."

"I don't like it," Aika whimpered, "It burns and it chokes me when I transform..."

"It's a symbol of your rightful place," Sayumi cut in, shooting Reina a sharp glare before the scientist could attempt to comfort the younger girl, "Without that collar, the knights would cut you down on sight. You should be grateful you've been afforded the distinction."

The scientist whirled to face the witch, prepared to give her a sharp tongue-lashing, when the girl on the table moved, a light groan escaping her lips. The trio gathered closer around the knight, each with varying degrees of shock on their faces.

"Impossible- an attack like that..." Reina's eyes shot to the wound on Risa's shoulder, and watched in bewilderment as the edges of skin began to slowly stitch themselves back together of their own accord.

"Proves your theory that the venom affects everyone differently." Sayumi replied, curiously watching the wound as well.

So focused were the two that they realized too late that Risa's eyes were beginning to open, the irises colored a deep amber-gold. But Aika's focus never left the knight, and as soon as the woman lunged for Reina, the werewolf shifted, snarling and pinning Risa to the table with her massive paws.

The knight struggled against Aika, a growl of her own escaping her mouth as she stared the wolf down. Reina watched in a mixture of horror and fascination as the woman spit blood and teeth from her mouth, sharp canines quickly moving to fill in the gaps. She'd watched Aika transform many times, but this was the first time for her to witness the venom taking hold of a victim.

"Sayu!" Her worried shout snapped the witch out of her own fear, and Sayumi uttered a spell that caused the chains dangling at the corners of the table to spring to life. The chains wound themselves tightly around Risa's limbs, binding her to the stone slab. But soon they would be completely ineffective, and Aika was not exactly the strongest representative for her kind.

As the knight convulsed and writhed against the chains, Reina darted to the other side of the room, fumbling with a pouch attached to her waist. Eventually she managed to produce a key from it, and the scientist knelt down beside a small wooden chest, quickly unlocking it. Inside lay a single item: an intricately carved amulet with a blood-red stone set into it, attached to a delicate golden chain. The stone glowed faintly when she reached in to grab it, the result of some ten months of magical endowment by Sayumi.

When she returned to the table, prepared to slip the amulet around Risa's neck, the witch's hand shot out to stop her.

"It's not safe." Sayumi hissed, "The incantations aren't yet complete- we have no way of knowing what it'll do to her."

"We don't have time to test it," Reina replied firmly, yanking her arm free, "And in minutes we're going to have a very angry newborn lycan on our hands. Unless you have a better idea, we have little choice."

The witch relented, stepping out of her partner's way as she moved forward again, pulling the amulet over Risa's head. As soon as the stone touched the knight's skin, it shone more fiercely, and the woman fell limp against the table, unconscious once more.

A heavy silence fell on the room, neither the witch or the scientist able to speak, and a few moments passed before Aika relaxed enough to shift back into human form. The young werewolf peered curiously at the amulet, its crimson glow reflecting in her eyes.

"Is she dead?" Aika questioned, reaching a hand out tentatively as if to touch the stone. Reina quickly pushed her away.

"No. Not dead. But you might be if you touch that." The scientist warned, still tense from what could have happened.

"What... is it?"

"Think of it as an inhibitor of sorts..." Sayumi offered lazily, her demeanor the polar opposite to Reina's edge, "It's meant to keep the venom from spreading throughout her body. I assumed it would need much more preparation than this but even I surprise myself with how good I am at magic sometimes~"

"I don't think it's stopped it completely," The scientist started, hovering over Risa once again, "Her wounds are still regenerating, and her body temperature definitely exceeds that of a normal human being."

It wasn't even close to a cure, but perhaps it would buy them some time. Working with Aika had been all but fruitless, as the curse had overtaken her system so completely that it was completely resistant to anything she and Sayumi tried. But the knight was in a limbo stage of sorts now, and there was a chance they could cure her before she turned. It gave Reina hope that their research hadn't been in vain.

"So what do we do now?" Sayumi asked, growing impatient.

"We wait until she wakes up. I don't feel comfortable doing anything until we've at least asked her about it first..."

The witch rolled her eyes.

"You know we have to carry out the experiments whether she agrees or not."

"I don't care, I still want a chance to explain everything first."

Sayumi threw up her hands, shaking her head as she turned on her heel to exit the room.

"Fine, but I'm having a collar made in the meantime. ...I'll get another one made for you as well, dog."

Reina scowled as the witch insulted the young werewolf yet again, but Aika simply smiled and nodded her head.

"Thank you, Michishige-san..."

"Whatever."

And then she was gone, much to Reina's relief. Sayumi was intelligent and extraordinarily talented but they'd never once ceased to get under the other's skin. How Aika managed to greet her with a smile everyday was beyond the scientist's understanding. Reina sighed, running a hand through her hair as she gathered her thoughts.

"I need you to watch her. And let me know as soon as she wakes up." Reina turned to Aika, earning a nod from her companion, "I don't know if the amulet will suppress her emotions, and though she hasn't turned, I want you there with me just in case."

"Of course." She didn't need to ask. There was simply no way Aika was about to leave the person she considered as good as blood alone with a potential threat.

It would be another three days before Risa finally woke up.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:31:01 AM by Quietriot »

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Re: Crimson [Chapter One, 6/15]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09:54 AM »
Faaaaack yeeeasss!!!!!

Offline Quietriot

• Yankiifest 2012
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Crimson [Chapter One, 6/15]
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
XD Thanks for the unintentional wedge, Rndy~

Mkay I'm on writer's strike for a while after this. Need to rest my mind and my eyes (and I'm busy this weekend anyway, too~) So enjoy~

Crimson, Chapter Two

Sunlight filtered softly into the large bedroom, the gentle rays ghosting across Risa's sleeping face. The light caused the knight to stir slightly, and she cracked one golden eye, groggy brain trying to make sense of her surroundings.

The room was clean and carefully decorated with ornate furniture, as if no one ever entered, despite the fact it was obviously well cared for. The bed she was in all but swallowed her with its massiveness, and felt soft beneath her fingers as she pushed herself up into a seated position. To her surprise, the pain she expected to feel did not come, and Risa gingerly traced her shoulder beneath her shirt, realizing that her wound was gone.

Where am I...? How long have I been here? A month?

The knight continued to check herself, finding that the gashes in her side had also healed, and taking note of the clothes she was dressed in. They definitely didn't belong to her, being much too expensive for someone of her station in life. Stranger still was the mysterious amulet she had looped around her neck, and Risa couldn't resist the urge to touch it, somewhat calmed by the pleasant warmth it emitted. 

Interesting...

She decided it was best to leave the necklace on until she better understood her situation, and quietly slid herself off of the bed, rising to her feet. It was then Risa realized she was not alone in the room, a soft snore alerting her to a presence in the corner. Instinctively, she crouched down, eyes darting to the source of the noise.

A young girl was sitting on a chair in the corner near her bed, arms crossed and head hung forward as she slept. She looked exhausted, and Risa felt sorry for the kid until the sunlight caught on something metal around the girl's neck, and her eyes widened in realization. 

That must be... The wolf from before...

She should have been wary, even sick to be in the presence of a lycan, but despite her personal feelings and her training, she couldn't look at the girl with anything besides pity. For it was one thing to cut down a snarling mass of fur and fangs, and something entirely different to see the wolves as having once been human.

And she's only a child yet... Barely a woman. And to bear such a curse...

Risa slowly rose out of her crouch, straightening up quietly so as not to wake the girl. She slipped out of the room, where she emerged into a large stone corridor, lined with torches and various paintings, tapestries and artifacts like suits of armor. There were other rooms as well, but these were closed off and looked so similar to the one she had just left that Risa decided not to check them all, instead hoping to find signs of life outside of the werewolf. 

As she padded barefoot through the castle, she began to notice how clearly everything appeared to her, as if her vision was sharper than ever before. Her other senses were more acute as well, ears picking up on the tiniest of sounds and nose able to distinguish scents she'd never experienced before.

It can't be... am I... have I...

Risa refused to follow that line of thought to its conclusion, willing to delude herself until someone could tell her where she was, even as her tongue ran against the fangs in her mouth. The knight eventually emerged in the main hall, a new combination of scents assaulting her nose. Most were quite pleasant--pork roasting over a flame, flowers, freshly picked to adorn vases in different parts of the castle, and of course, dozens of people. There were stranger smells as well, ones she could not identify, foreign and sharp and a few even caused shivers to run down her spine. 

The knight tried to veer away from these, and attempted to lock on one of the scents she was sure belonged to a person--a mixture of light perfume and pleasant warmth and... something else. How she was sure, she could not explain, but now wasn't really the time to question her newfound instincts. Instead, she took a deep breath to make the trail clearer, eager to discover what had happened to her.

The scent lead her down a dark flight of stairs, the likes of which filled her with a deep sense of dread and foreboding. Shadows created by the torches on the walls seemed warped and twisted, and the part of the scent she couldn't identify was sharp and oppressive now, overwhelming her and drawing a deep rumble up from her chest. Risa paused at this, startled that she could even make such a noise. 

And as if that weren't distressing enough for her, whispers echoed off of the stone walls, heightening her anxiety. They were unintelligible murmurs, some fearful, some malicious, all sending chills down her spine. 

She pressed on, finally reaching the bottom of the stairs, and watching in bewilderment as a light appeared in front of her face. The tiny orb illuminated the dark way ahead of her, and she reacted by backpedaling up the stairs a bit, watching as it disappeared. When she stepped forward, it returned, and she came to terms with the fact the light was going to stay with her regardless of whether or not she liked it. 

Ahead, she could see several chambers extending off to the left and right, but Risa dared not stray from the path the scent was taking her, not wanting to linger here more than was necessary. The sound of breaking glass alerted her to movement in one of the rooms up ahead, followed by the sound of cursing.

The knight cautiously peered inside, inadvertently finding herself in the lab. The sights and smells inside unnerved her a bit, but her attention was soon drawn to two women at the other end of the room. One of them, a tall, dark-haired girl with a cute face, was crouched on the ground, clutching at her arm. The other had reddish-brown hair that was tied in a wild side ponytail; she had her back to Risa, and seemed to be busy working on something in front of her.

"I told you not to touch it, Sayumi..." Ponytail girl said, seemingly unconcerned by the other woman's pain.

"Since when do I listen to you?" Sayumi snapped, hugging her injured arm closer to her body.

"You never do. That's why you're the one with the acid burn right now..."

"Ah, my beautiful, flawless skin..." The older girl lamented, a pout spreading on her face.

"Oh, be quiet. You'll be fine. I'm sure you have a spell somewhere in that book of yours for that."

The two continued to banter back and forth for a while, Risa watching the exchange quietly from the shadows. They kept mentioning something about a cure, and "the knight," which she assumed meant her. It was clear these women knew why she was here and she decided to make her presence known.

"Excuse me..." She started, stepping forward as the two women whirled around to face her.  They were obviously surprised to see her, but Risa registered fear in their eyes as well.

"You're awake..." Ponytail girl murmured, reaching for something at her side, "Good, we were beginning to worry."

Risa caught the glint of metal in the dim lighting and didn't need her years of training to realize the girl was concealing a dagger. She held up her hands, taking careful steps forward.

"Who exactly would 'we' be, then? And where am I?"

Reina gripped the dagger tightly, quickly trying to judge whether the knight was a threat or not. Werewolves could be unpredictable, newly turned ones even moreso, and the amulet guaranteed nothing. Still, the woman seemed to be in control of herself, despite her confusion, and so the scientist lowered her guard slightly.

"You're in Fort Aconite, in the castle stationed at the-"

"At the base of the mountains," Risa finished for her, earning startled glances from both Sayumi and Reina, "My village is but a day's journey from here."

"Very few people even know this castle still exists..." The witch spoke up, eyeing the knight with no small amount of suspicion, "It's odd that you were aware of it, Red or not."

"My captain and I made it a point to be aware of many things, my lady." Risa replied, easily meeting Sayumi's gaze. 

"And yet, you were still caught off guard when the lycans came."

The sharp-tongued response hit Risa like a blow to the stomach, and she felt herself literally heating up with rage. Her fists clenched at her sides and the rumbling in her chest returned, thoughts consumed with the urge to lunge forward and tear Sayumi's throat out. Reina seemed to realize the change in the knight's demeanor and pulled the dagger from her belt, while Sayumi stood her ground as if daring Risa to move. 

Given a few more seconds, she may have attacked, but a hand touched her shoulder, and when Risa turned to snap at whoever dared to get so close, she was met with a hypnotic golden gaze. Almost instantly she felt her anger beginning to melt away, replaced by a deep sense of calm.

"There's no need for anger, sister." Aika murmured quietly, keeping her eyes locked on Risa, "Michishige-san often says things she doesn't mean, it's better to ignore them."

The young werewolf's words brought on a slew of responses from the witch, most unkind, but Risa found herself stuck in a pleasant haze, as if the world had stopped moving around her. When Aika looked away, she managed to snap out of it, sluggishly regaining her senses.

"Wha... What did you do to me?"

"You're still mostly human, so my powers hold some sway over you yet," the girl responded cheerfully, "Not for long, of course, but I can aid in keeping your emotions in check."

Risa blinked, infinitely more confused than she had been to start with. After shooting Sayumi a nasty scowl, Reina turned back to the knight, stepping forward.

"Perhaps you should come with me. There's much you need to know."

Offline kjpop

• DAT ASS!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Crimson [Chapter Two, 6/16]
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »
Can we just get married? I think we should just get married. Yeah, that sounds pretty good right now <3

EDIT: Whoa, that was a close one there. Like, wow LOL I would have laughed if Sayu got her ass kicked here hahah I'm so mean~

I wonder what's gonna happen next~ BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I can wait =] You deserve a break yo, bustin out these chapters like a BAWS all week <3
I'll take that as my hint to get a move on with updates of my own ho ho ho~
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 05:38:18 PM by kjpop »

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »
Have I mentioned that I so love where this is going. I can't wait for how Gaki reacts to Reina when they're alone. >.<

Offline darkacex99

• Member+
  • RISA RISA RISA!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
Omg this story is pulling me in so much XD i love it!! Can wait for the next chapter, u r toooo talented and awesome quietriot :cathappy:

Offline mochi.rini

• lover of all TakaGaki and food :D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • nomnomnomnom
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:44:17 AM »
So now this is going to be a full fledged fic?  APPROVAL STAMP~ 

Here's to hoping that Risa doesn't pounce Reina and rip her to shreds~  :D  COME BACK TO US FIMMEH~  :bow:
Hi~iiya!~  (>^_^)>
I support T a k a G a k i
Tumblr/blog \(^ - ^)/

Offline Quietriot

• Yankiifest 2012
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:59 AM »
But I like lurking in the shadows.  :thumbup

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 07:28:55 AM »

Here's to hoping that Risa does pounce Reina and rip her clothes to shreds~  :D 

Fixed XD

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »
 :panic: she's awake! and already wants to tear sayu to shreads LOL XD good thing aika calmed her down in time ^^;

i swear this is what happens when i try to have a social life, ppl update and dont tell me @~@ i cant wait for the next part~! >3<
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline Quietriot

• Yankiifest 2012
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
@kjpop: If you like it then you gotta put a ring on it, otherwise get in line~ :cathappy: XD and I think you just want Sayu to suffer. lolol she's not really that bad in this. It's too easy to make her the villain/pseudo-villain anyway. XD Also, you need to update. Otherwise... Well, let's just say I have plans to leave off at a rather painful cliffhanger in another story of mine~ :heart:

@Rndy: I think you'll be quite pleased. XD also, best fix ever. And exactly how I read Rini's sentence anyway lolol

@darkacex99: Glad you like it! ^^ And thanks for the praise, though I don't know I deserve it :heart: I'm like, not even really a writer, I just do this when I'm bored XD

@Rini: T___T where have you been, I missed you! (In the most non-creepy way, I swear. XD ) Glad to have your approval stamp, tho. I can continue on in peace~ :heart:

@KB: haha I would dare to say a social life is more fun. XD But yeah~ here's an update!

Haha I'm so used to updating like, once a day, that going a weekend without writing was weird. But it was totally good, I definitely needed a break. X___x Also, whoa, post 200. XD I apologize if the story seems slow at the moment, but there's still a bit of setup left yet. Enjoy~

Chapter Three

Risa walked slowly behind Reina as the scientist led her through the castle, silently processing everything she had been told up to this point. The younger woman had explained as much as she could, recounting the details of how the knight came to be in the castle and her situation with the amulet. She certainly hadn't expected to be told that she wasn't yet a werewolf, but instead of being relieved by the news, Risa felt more as though her fate was being prolonged.

This necklace will only delay the inevitable, right? ...So what's the point?

Currently, Reina was up ahead going on about her research with Sayumi, though the knight had stopped listening to her after a while. It wasn't that she couldn't understand--Risa was one of the few knights in the area that actually pursued an education before joining--but simply that she didn't bother with technicalities. There were too many other distractions to focus on, anyway.

For one thing, they weren't completely alone; quiet footsteps behind her were a constant reminder of Aika's presence. The werewolf wasn't even very close--the last time Risa turned to look, the girl had been at the end of the hallway--but her now-hyper sensitive hearing picked up the sounds of the girl following as though she were inches behind. That and the knight could almost feel those yellow eyes on her, glinting in the dim firelight and carefully watching her every move. Aika offered her nothing but kindness, but it was clear the girl was wary of anything being between herself and Reina. Especially when that something was a time bomb on the edge of becoming a monster.

And then there was the scientist herself. Risa felt drawn to her like a magnet, every sense attuned to the younger woman. The scent of Reina's perfume had assaulted her during their entire trek through the castle, and the knight had long since stopped trying to ignore it. Her golden eyes followed the slight sway of the scientist's hips as she walked, and her ears picked up on the steady rhythm of the girl's heartbeat as it pulsed warm blood through her body. Reina continued forward, unaware of the intense scrutiny while she talked, and Risa unconsciously ran her tongue against her fangs, aware of a dull burn settling in the pit of her stomach.

"You want to eat her."

Aika had suddenly appeared at the knight's side, breaking her concentration so forcefully that Risa nearly stumbled into a nearby sculpture. She blushed hard, both at her mistake and at what she thought were hidden implications.

"I-I- wh-what?" She stammered out, attempting to regain her composure even as her eyes trailed back to the woman in question. Reina hadn't stopped, still oblivious as she continued explaining the finer details of chemical composition to the air.

"I mean, literally," Aika responded easily, clicking her teeth together in a chomping motion, "It's instinct for a newborn, anyway."

"To want to eat humans?"

"Not necessarily humans, just anything that isn't wolf. The first transformation requires an extraordinary amount of energy." Aika explained, looping her arm through Risa's. The knight was sure this was to keep her from doing anything unpredictable; she could sense the power and energy radiating from the young werewolf even in her relaxed state. "So newborns go into a frenzy, and slaughter just about anything in sight. If they don't, they'll go into shock and die, but the madness of wanting to kill is generally impossible to ignore."

...Kill? Risa glanced at Reina again, this time with a much graver expression on her face.

"Don't worry though, Nee-chan," Aika patted the knight's arm reassuringly. "You're lucky. You have the amulet, and Reina and Michishige-san working on a cure, and me. And I promise I'll do my best to help you."

"Why do you keep calling me that?" Risa asked, raising an eyebrow.

"All wolves are family, Nee-chan. You are my sister now, and I yours." The werewolf replied matter-of-factly, seemingly content to be at the knight's side.

Sister... Risa's heart ached painfully as she thought of her own, wondering about her fate. There was no way she could even begin to consider someone else as family, but she supposed it didn't matter what the werewolf thought of her. Nor did she think she could get Aika to call her by anything else.

They slowly caught back up to Reina just as the scientist was reaching the end of her little lecture. 

"...and well, Sayu couldn't walk in a straight line for a week after that. So we've tried to avoid the use of fire in the lab since; with the exception of those unearthly enchanted things she's got floating around in there..."

Risa cleared her throat.

"What is to become of me now?" 

Reina finally paused, turning to face the knight. The apologetic look on her face told Risa all she needed to know, but she braced herself for the words nevertheless.

"You... must remain here... by order of the king," The scientist replied slowly, wary of provoking the knight's rage, "Believe me, I do not wish to confine you to the castle... But I'm afraid I took away any choice you may have had in the matter the moment I placed that amulet around your neck."

"Well," Risa snorted, "I was already property of the king before this happened. I suppose it doesn't matter. Besides..." 

The knight slipped her arm out of Aika's, moving over to the nearby window to peer out into the forest. The trees and ground were coated in a fresh blanket of snow from the previous night, making the landscape appear much more gentle than it had seemed when she was staggering through it before, clinging to life. Her eyes focused on the dark mountain looming in the distance, and it occurred to her that she'd never once been beyond that peak. Now, she certainly never would.

"...I have nowhere else to go." She trailed off in a whisper, closing her eyes as an image of her burning home flickering through her mind.

She felt a hand on her shoulder, slender fingers giving it a gentle, comforting rub. But when Risa turned to look, Reina's gaze was anything but gentle, burning with determination.

"I have dedicated my life to finding a cure. And I still believe there is one out there, and whether by magic or science or luck, I will find it, I swear to you. Or I'll die trying."

Risa couldn't help but be swayed by the younger woman's sincerity, and she offered her a weak nod, daring to hope that there was a chance, however small. She held Reina's gaze a bit longer than necessary, a pleasant warmth flooding her body and wrapping her mind in a haze. The scientist stared back, in a trance, before Aika stepped forward and cleared her throat.

"Reina." She watched the scientist snap out of it and blink owlishly in her direction, "I think it's time for lunch."

"Oh. Yes. Right." Reina stumbled over her words, glancing back between Risa and Aika and putting a bit of distance between herself and the knight once more. For her part, Risa immediately missed the warmth of Reina's hand on her shoulder, a thought that troubled her as she came back to her senses as well.

"The servants have prepared us a meal... And there are a few things I'd like to test; we can kill two birds with one stone." The scientist stated, voice growing more confident as she turned to continue walking once more.

Risa watched her go for a moment, allowing her head to clear as she tried to work out what happened. 

"I guess now we know you can do that with the amulet as well..." Aika mused when Reina was out of earshot, watching Risa thoughtfully.

"What did I do?"

"You tried to hypnotize her. Unintentionally, of course. We've discovered that wolves have some degree of psychic power, which translates most directly into our ability to sway the minds of our prey, including humans." Aika replied, smiling as Risa turned to her in shock, "It's how I was able to calm you earlier, and how I managed to keep you from doing anything to her just now. You're still part human. But wolves are unaffected by other wolves, and so I don't have as much power over you as I could."

"How do I control it?" Risa asked, still shocked by what she'd accidentally done. 

What I could do...

"Be aware of your mind. Or simply don't make eye contact."

The young werewolf began to follow after Reina, which prompted Risa to move as well, the latter silently resolving to get herself under control. If she was going to end up as a wolf, she would fight this killing nature to the bitter end.

"Also, I wouldn't recommend trying it on Michishige-san," Aika commented playfully, glancing back at Risa, "It doesn't work on magical beings, and besides she'll try to hex you."

The knight couldn't help but laugh, remembering the dark-haired witch and imagining her chasing Aika through the halls of the castle. Perhaps being here didn't have to be so terrible all the time.

"I'll keep that in mind."

Offline kjpop

• DAT ASS!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Crimson [Chapter Three, 6/18]
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »
OH HEYYYYYYYYYYYY~ *rolls up tin foil and makes it into a ring shape* <333333 Poor student here, but my love T__T TIS REAL <3333

AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look LOL I have 2 updates and a perv coming, will that be enough to make you happy? ;D BUT!!!!! You're threats don't scare me  8)

BRB TO REVIEW CUZ I'M SUPPOSED TO BE BEING RESPONSIBLE AND WORKING SJKDFHLSJKDFHSDJKFSDF

EDIT:
Bahaha so I lied and took an extended potty break because of this ahha My phone was being a pain in the ass anyway.

SO...

"You want to eat her."

WE WERE ALL THINKING IT. DON'T EVEN DENY IT. WE WERE ALLLLLLLLLLLL THINKING IT.  :drool:

And I love science geek Reina <3 Being cooped up in the lab and finding a cure!!!! Sounds just like me~ cept I'm not surrounded by attractive people, nor am I attractive myself HO HO HO~ *cries* lol

Sooooooooo, I'm thinkin' Gaki mind control can lead to some fun, fun times ;D Just fetch Aika a bone to some other kingdom or something. Gotta have the variables of the "experiment" controlled after all HO HO HO OH my god I am so sorry >__< science jokes are my life T___T
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 09:26:52 PM by kjpop »

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »
LOL not with a boring life like mine^^; the few times i do go out is with mygodsister and that'll get cut pretty soon anyway^^;

woot for an update~! 1st risa wants to eat reina then she unknowingly hypnotizes her what is next? XD atleast aika is there to keep things in check but what'll happen down the road when she's not there? plus i felt tottally sad when risa wondered about her sister ;3; i hope she's ok too ;3; i shall patiently wait now~ :deco:

DAMN KJ BEAT ME!
 :catglare:

Offline mochi.rini

• lover of all TakaGaki and food :D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • nomnomnomnom
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »
I disappeared to have a social life too!!!
nah.  Who am I kidding~ :roll: I'm as sociable as a pillbug hiding underneath a rock XD  I WAS STALKING TUMBLR AND RISA~ :heart:

Anyways~  Your wolves/lycans > Twilight wolves :3  Nuff said~  Lol I thought that Reina was already falling in love with Risa...but it was just hypnosis!  Darn! XD  Save the best for last I guess? XD

The part where Risa oh so dramatically/mopey-ly scuttled over to the window to lament...ahhhh~ POOR RISA~  :gmon tears:  :deco:

Meal time...I wonder how wolves eat...o.O  I imagine like Goku from DragonBall Z...except more violent XD

I have plans to leave off at a rather painful cliffhanger in another story of mine~
 :mon wtfmm:

Here's to hoping that Risa does pounce Reina and rip her clothes to shreds~  :D 

Fixed XD
I had a feeling that someone who do that XD  Especially due to the usage of "rip to shreds" XD  I LIKE YOUR THINKIN~

Waiting time :D   :cathappy:
Hi~iiya!~  (>^_^)>
I support T a k a G a k i
Tumblr/blog \(^ - ^)/

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
I am quite pleased!

"You want to eat her."
XD zomg, way to state facts there Aika, except that:

And then there was the scientist herself. Risa felt drawn to her like a magnet, every sense attuned to the younger woman. The scent of Reina's perfume had assaulted her during their entire trek through the castle, and the knight had long since stopped trying to ignore it. Her golden eyes followed the slight sway of the scientist's hips as she walked, and her ears picked up on the steady rhythm of the girl's heartbeat as it pulsed warm blood through her body. Reina continued forward, unaware of the intense scrutiny while she talked, and Risa unconsciously ran her tongue against her fangs, aware of a dull burn settling in the pit of her stomach.
does not seem like the kind of hunger you think it is.

...Kill? Risa glanced at Reina again, this time with a much graver expression on her face.
And now Risa thinks its the literal eat as well!

"...and well, Sayu couldn't walk in a straight line for a week after that. So we've tried to avoid the use of fire in the lab since;
That sounds like an interesting story XD

She held Reina's gaze a bit longer than necessary, a pleasant warmth flooding her body and wrapping her mind in a haze. The scientist stared back, in a trance, before Aika stepped forward and cleared her throat.
I wonder what Risa would have done if Aika hadn't interrupted?

What I could do...
Apparently Risa's thinking of the possibilities, too

"The servants have prepared us a meal... And there are a few things I'd like to test; we can kill two birds with one stone."
I know I've been saying it a lot, but I can't wait for the next part!

Offline Quietriot

• Yankiifest 2012
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 07:05:01 PM »
@kjpop: It's okay I'm a poor student too, we can be like starving artists and live in a cardboard box, it's allllll good~ :heart: also, I'm not sure it's my threats you should be worried about... XD Also, oh god, Gaki mind-control+sexy times... You may have given me ideas. Ahahahahah~

@KB: ^^ At least you go out. I sit around all day because no one will hire me here~ and my brother doesn't live at home anymore. T___T -forever alone- What will happen when Aika isn't around, indeed... I wonder~ thank you for your patience! :cathappy:

@Rini: stalking Tumblr and Risa are noble pursuits, my little pillbug. xD And it may have been hypnosis, but who says it didn't affect Reina a bit more than that? Kitty isn't one to let things show~ Also, that is a terrifying emoticon, and if I don't update, uh, you only have kjpop to blame. :D (See what I did there? Ahahah~)

@Rndy: Risa's hungry for Reina, alright~ Aika's just not that perceptive teehee~ probably woulda jumped the kitty's bones if the faithful doggy weren't around XD and I'm happy to say your wait is over!

Holy wow, long chapter is long. But I've gotten all of the setup out of the way~ -twirls- which means more time for action and romance and drama! :D Also, there may be some delay before my next update; I'm considering illustrating this fic~ Enjoy~

Chapter Four

"Catch." Risa watched as Reina pulled something from the pouch at her belt, and reacted on instinct as it flew towards her, easily snatching it from the air. The object was small, and she realized what it was before she even opened her palm to examine it. It was a single silver piece, adorned with the image of the king, so ordinary that Risa glanced up at Reina, confused as to what the significance should be.

The scientist was focused on her hand, and after several moments of silence she let out a satisfied hum. It was then that the knight made the connection.

"This... should be burning me. Shouldn't it?"

"Were you fully turned, that amount of exposure would have you convulsing on the floor." Reina replied dryly, catching the coin as Risa threw it back to her. "I rather expected you to drop it instantly, but it seems you remain immune to silver's effects for now."

Risa nodded, making a mental note to be careful with her sword from that point on. She knew many ways to kill, injure, and capture wolves; she'd never once expected to apply that knowledge to benefit her own self-preservation. As she and Aika continued to follow Reina towards the dining hall, the knight remembered that she'd not seen her possessions since waking up that morning.

"Where is my armor? My sword?" She questioned, ears picking up the sounds of shouting somewhere ahead of them. Before she could think about it much, though, Reina answered her.

"In the room that's been prepared for you to stay in. Your armor was in terrible shape, but I had the blacksmith do what he could."

"Do you mean the room I woke up in isn't where I'll be staying?" 

"Oh, absolutely not," The scientist replied as though the idea was ludicrous, "Not even the servants sleep in that wing. No, you were put there..."

The woman seemed to be struggling to find a tactful way to say what she meant, though Risa was sure she knew why. She'd been kept away from the others as a precaution. Reina had already admitted that neither she or the witch knew what the amulet would do to her; likely they didn't trust it, or her. Not that the knight could blame them, after all, she had witnessed many a lycan attack in her service to the kingdom. And especially after Aika's words, even she didn't trust herself yet.

More shouting sounded down the way, and Reina muttered some curse under her breath before taking off suddenly, darting into the dining hall. Aika seemed unconcerned, and Risa was confused as she strained to hear what was happening. 

"Probably just Michishige-san toying with the servants again." Aika answered the unspoken question. The knight wasn't sure whether or not she found the trait helpful or annoying.

Or maybe she can read my mind...

An explosion shook the area, and Risa wobbled unsteadily, quickly bracing herself against the wall. Maniacal laughter floated to her ears, followed by the sounds of more shouting and cursing, Reina's voice distinct among the latter. Aika sighed, shaking her head good-naturedly as she continued calmly forward.

"Coming, Nee-chan?"

"You want to go towards a sound like that?" Risa snapped incredulously, pulling her hands away from her still ringing ears. The young werewolf did not stop, however, and the knight was curious, quickly catching up to her companion.

The scene they stumbled upon was a chaotic one, dust swirling thick in the air. A gaping hole had been torn in the opposite wall, brick and stone still crumbling away from the spot, and the area surrounding the impact was charred a deep black. Most of the servants were still cowering beneath the huge table in the center of the room, while others had already begun scrambling to clean up the mess. Reina was standing on one of the chairs, covered in dust and shaking her fist up towards the ceiling in between coughing fits.

"Michishige Sayumi, get your ass down here, NOW."

Risa blinked, eyes darting skyward and catching on the witch, who was currently dangling upside down from the chandelier chain by her foot. She was swinging back and forth and cackling to herself, and Risa noticed that the girl's arms were smoking.

"Ah~ nothing like chasing a baby dragon through the castle to get your heart racing..."

"I don't care if it was a fucking chimera- for heaven's sake, get down here and explain yourself!" Reina shouted, grabbing a nearby spoon and chucking it up towards her partner. "You blew up the wall!"

"Correction," Sayumi started, holding up a finger, "The dragon blew up the wall. I was trying to put him back where he belonged when he decided I might make a tasty snack."

As an afterthought, the witch reached up to tug on her leg.

"...Also, I'm stuck."

"...You have a dragon?" Risa interjected, a bit slow in following the conversation.

Reina groaned, slapping her hand to her forehead in frustration. It was one thing trying to constantly explain everything to the knight, she wasn't in the mood to babysit her destructive partner all day as well. Aika suddenly reappeared at her mistress's side--causing Risa to jump as she hadn't even noticed the girl's absence--offering Reina an intricately carved wooden bow. 

"Figured perhaps this would be a quick and creative way to get her down," The werewolf explained as the scientist took the weapon in hand, gripping it in a manner that told Risa the younger woman definitely had experience using it. Reina pulled an arrow from the quiver in Aika's other hand and pulled it taut against the string, pointing the tip up towards Sayumi.

When the witch realized her intent, she began to panic.

"Whoa, hey, wait- Reina, this is a bad idea."

The scientist ignored her pleas and took aim, releasing the arrow from her grasp. The bolt whistled through the air, connecting with a weak link in the chandelier's chain and causing it to snap open. Sayumi let out a shrill scream as the entire thing jerked downwards, landing with an impressive crash just some feet away from the table. Fortunately for the witch, at some point before she was destined to break every bone in her body, Aika intervened and managed to catch her, standing casually away from the mess while holding the taller girl bridal style.

It took Sayumi a moment to realize she was safe and not dead, but when she did, she was not happy.

"Ugh! Reina, your dog is touching me... Put me down!"

"As you wish, my lady."

The witch was dumped unceremoniously on her rear before she could take a swing at the werewolf's face, Aika moving back obediently to join Reina's side. Risa remained rooted to her previous spot, equal parts stunned and amazed, and still wondering about the alleged dragon and it's whereabouts. The dragon that for some reason no one else seemed worried about. But the question that was on the tip of her tongue, however, had to do with the fiery woman standing next to her.

"...Where on earth did you learn to do that?" She questioned, voice colored with awe, "That was a perfect shot."

For the first time since they'd met, the scientist offered the knight a toothy smile, and Risa couldn't help but find it endearing.

"We all have our secrets, Niigaki-san," Reina replied mysteriously, "Some more than others, perhaps."

...What's that supposed to mean?

Risa wanted to question the woman further, but before she could, the hole in the wall crumbled again, one of the bricks knocking a suit of armor to the floor with a loud clang. Reina sighed, shaking her head.

"Well... Let's eat, hm?"

----------

The servants were surprisingly quick to clear the room of debris, and while the wall remained damaged, the dining hall itself was otherwise restored to a state of elegance. Risa overheard one of them telling Reina that the baby dragon had been returned to the dungeon, and though that eased the knight's mind slightly, she still felt uncomfortable in such a formal setting. She'd only been to one banquet in her life; while this was simply lunch and places were set for only three people, she was reminded of that stuffy, disastrous occasion.

Risa watched as two plates were set in front of her, one layered with slices of perfectly roasted meat, greens, and a bit of fruit, while the other had a slab of raw pork in the center of it, freshly cut and still oozing blood. The knight went pale at the sight of the latter, fighting the urge to vomit as the coppery scent roughly invaded her nose. She looked over at Reina, who was in experiment-mode again, watching her intently.

"I know it's a bit unsavory, but we need to see what type of food your body will digest right now." She explained, "From what I've gathered, lycans cannot digest cooked food well, and completely reject anything that isn't meat. The blood seems to be an important component of the diet, though why, I've yet to discover."

"Is that why you sent the girl away?" Risa asked weakly, referring to Aika. She imagined the werewolf's face and hands covered in blood, and her stomach lurched uneasily.

"Watching the dog eat is a good way to lose weight," Sayumi cut in, chewing on an apple slice as she stared across the table at Risa, "You'll lose your appetite for days."

The knight looked back down at her potential meals, deciding to experiment with the one most familiar to her first. It certainly didn't taste any different, despite being of a quality much, much higher than she was used to. 

Guess working for the king like this has its perks.

"How am I supposed to tell if this is what I'm meant to eat?"

"Oh, we'll find out in a few hours," Reina replied, signaling for the nearest servant to take away the plate of raw food, "If you're violently ill by that point, well..."

"Then I'll have to get used to something different." Risa finished for her dryly, not at all looking forward to the inevitable. It was just an animal, cooked or not, it shouldn't have bothered her. But Aika's words from earlier about eating humans kept ringing in her head and she suddenly lost all desire to eat. 

Soon the women finished their meals, and Reina led the other two into an adjacent living room, where Aika was already waiting for them, adding wood to the massive fireplace in the center.

Sated by what little she ate and finding her tension slipping away with every sip of the wine in her hand, Risa sunk down into one of the chairs next to the fire, tempted to fall asleep then and there. Sayumi seemed to be headed in the same direction, lounging casually on a fur-lined couch, while Aika stood vigilantly in the corner, and Reina stood off to the side, studying the bookshelf against the wall. It was a comfortable scene, and Risa found herself succumbing to her drowsiness before Reina's voice interrupted the silence.

"Do you know the story behind the founding of the Red Knights, Niigaki-san?" 

Risa lifted her head slightly, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't believe in fairy tales, my lady. Some say it started with a wolf eating a child--a local woodcutter saved her by cutting him open, decided to wear a red cloak in her honor... The rest is history." She stated with a shrug, "Though that's just a story. The truth is that the king simply began selecting elite knights for the job and that red was used to distinguish us. There's no other significance."

Reina smiled, walking away from the bookshelf to sit down beside Sayumi, who had fallen asleep.

"You're wrong on both accounts. That story is a pitiable shadow of the truth, and what you think is correct is simply just the king's attempt to cover up his own shortcomings."

Indignation welled up inside of the knight, but the effects of the wine were making it too hard for her to be all that angry. 

"And you think you know what really happened?"

"I know what really happened," Reina corrected her, "I haven't spent five years on this research simply to guess about something like that."

Risa considered this for a moment, unable to deny her curiousity. The scientist did seem to know what she was talking about, and if nothing else, the knight decided it was worth humoring the girl if only for the excuse to watch her without seeming creepy.

"...Tell me."

----------

Though the modern incarnations of the story are far from the truth, they are pieced together with some fragments of the original after all. To begin with, the characters involved were all the same, besides alterations to their descriptions and ages and appearance.

There was a girl. Young enough to be treated like a child, and yet old enough to make the decisions that any other woman could make. She was beautiful, wild and free-spirited, and spent much of her time in the forest amongst the plants and animals. Her parents were well established in the nearby village; her father was a farmer, and her mother made delicious things out of the crops he grew. These goods the girl would deliver to nearby villages, and she quickly became recognizable for the white cloak she wore to camouflage herself against the snow.

The girl had an admirer; a quiet, gentle woodsman, who was much too shy to make his feelings known for her. But though he couldn't bring himself to speak them out loud, that did not diminish the strength of his love for her. He watched over her silently, always around whenever she needed someone, always there to protect her from the dangers she could not see.

But another had his eyes on the girl as well; a wolf whose trails the girl frequently passed on her way through the forest. He could not tell the girl of his feelings either, for he was a wolf, and this was in the time before they walked among us like men.

As time passed, the wolf's obsession grew, and in desperation, he turned to the aid of a witch who lived deep in the forest. Now, the witch had lived many lifetimes due to her skill and cunning, and saw the value in having the allegiance of a beast as strong and powerful as a wolf, so she granted his request; she gave him the ability to become a man at will. What she did not anticipate was his beauty, and the witch fell in love with the wolf, her heart growing black with jealousy for the girl that claimed his heart.

As a man, the wolf was finally able to reveal himself to the girl, and soon they were married, much to the dismay of the woodsman and the rage of the witch. The latter began plotting a way to lure the girl in to get rid of her, and one day, she sent a request to the village for some goods to be delivered to her house.

The girl, thinking nothing was amiss, set out to do her job, failing to inform her husband that morning of where she was headed. When the wolf noticed his wife was missing, he immediately followed her trail, unaware that the woodsman was following his.

The witch had set a trap for the girl, coaxing her into her house with the promise of a fresh meal after a long journey. But as soon as the girl was inside, the witch turned on her, attempting to stab her with a silver dagger. The wolf appeared just as it seemed too late for his wife, and he took on his true form as he struggled with the witch. Eventually, the evil woman was killed, but not before she managed to stab the wolf with her dagger, dealing him a mortal wound.

As the wolf lay dying in her arms, the girl's cloak became stained with the crimson of her lover's blood. The woodsman appeared last, and when he saw the wolf, he acted on instinct, swinging his axe through the air with the intent to slaughter the beast. But the wolf leapt for him first, biting the man with the last snap left in his great jaws before succumbing to his injuries. 

The woodsman fell to his knees, writhing in pain as the venom from the wolf's fangs traveled through his body--a curse the witch had placed upon the wolf the moment she gave him the ability to become a man. As he turned, losing his humanity by the moment, the girl rose from her spot, moving to retrieve the silver dagger from the body of the dead witch. She looked upon the woodsman with pity and grief, kneeling down to speak to him.

"My silent guardian, if only this had never happened to you... I am forever grateful to you for what you have done for me... But I will never return to this place."

And she did not, true to her word. The girl exiled herself to the mountains, where she gave birth to the son she had been carrying. To her relief, he was not a wolf, but like his father he craved adventure and frequently left home in search of it. When he became a man, he went out one evening in search of food for himself and his mother, carrying with him his bow and the dagger that--unbeknownst to him--once belonged to the witch.

When he returned, he found his mother in the arms of the woodsman, her body broken and bleeding, dead. To this day, it is not known what happened to the girl, but her son blamed the woodsman, who quickly shifted into a wolf and fled the scene. Picking up the crimson cloak now stained with the blood of his mother and father, the boy swore he would not rest until he had slain every wolf, and devoted his life to hunting down the one that killed his mother.

Thus began the line of Red Knights, and the bloody war between man and wolf.

----------

"That's quite a tale..." Risa murmured, unsure whether or not to believe it, "At least, much better than the story about the child traveling to her grandmother's house."

"That's because it's true." Reina replied firmly, crossing her arms. "I'm a scientist, Niigaki-san, I don't believe in fairy tales any more than you do."

The knight grunted, deciding not to push the matter further. Reina obviously believed that what she said was true, regardless of whether or not it actually was. What she believed really wasn't Risa's concern, and besides, it was an interesting story.

"I wonder what might have happened had the boy given the woodsman a chance to explain... Or if he'd gotten there in time to save the mother." She wondered aloud, absently chewing on her lower lip and being careful to avoid cutting it on a fang.

"I think we'd all be wolves by now, Niigaki-san." Reina mused quietly. "Though with each day that passes, I'm no longer sure that's such a terrible thing..."

Offline kjpop

• DAT ASS!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Crimson [Chapter Four, 6/19]
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »
AHAHHAH OH MY GOD. DID YOU PLAN THIS OR SOMETHING?! AHHAHAHHAHAHHA BECAUSE WE KEEP UPDATING AROUND THE SAME TIMES AND IT FREAKS ME OUT. STOP BEING MY SOULMATE OR SOMETHING <3 CUZ WE TOO IN SYNC <33

Brb to edit though T__T lunch break over =[

BAHAHAH no no~ We won't starve~ I'll just break into the cafeteria at the lab and grab us nomnoms and we can have a lovely lil afternoon picnic or something <3 AND WOOOOOOOO FOR GETTING IDEAS INTO YOUR HEAD  :thumbup

HOMAHGAH LOL FREAKIN' SAYU IS A HOOT. OH MY GOD LOL I'm spitting my drink out cuz I'm gonna end up snorting it or something from laughing so hard xD I like her here, like a lot a lot LOL Way more than Rockstar Sayu  :heart:

OOOOH~ Wine + story time? My kind of evening!!!...but it's still too early to take it out for me XD Maybe later~

"I'm a scientist, Niigaki-san, I don't believe in fairy tales any more than you do."

Freakin' hell Reina. Stop being so attractive with your science crap. That's my job!!!! lol But I'm totally down with the whole being werewolves things LOL I'd love the whole mind control thing~ but then again, I wouldn't be able to use it on other werewolves *le sigh* so no sexy times hhahaha

But ho ho ho~ Sayu's passed out and Aika can go shoooo~ Sexy time yet? LOL jokes jokes~  :lol:

P.S. We're like totally on the same wavelength ~_^ obvs meant to be~
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:35:56 PM by kjpop »

Offline darkacex99

• Member+
  • RISA RISA RISA!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »
Yay we get a history lesson on the red knights history sooo awesome,
Guess whose afternoon just got better, MINE O0 nice chapter

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 05:54:22 AM »
u and kj should update together all the time! and trust me i cant get a job either and its only me and my mom and she's out usually 6 days a week for 9hrs. plus i gots little to no friends who dont bother to hang with me so yeah ^^;

risa+drinks=a good combi lol i'd rather have this then making her life suck...or both lol and sayu's a total riot in this chapter XD i also want to know why noone's spazzing over the fact that a baby dragon was loose XD
that story was also pretty interesting~ i cant wait for more~!

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
I guess crazy in just par for the course around here XD Poor Risa, thrust into this place with no warning only to find herself assaulted by so many new experiences.

Sayu is total lols. :lol:

And finally, that story was interesting. A better take on Red Riding Hood than Red Riding Hood. XD

Rockstar's Guide soon?

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - Sneaker Song!