JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Wonder Girls - Saying I Love You

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 305978 times)

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread ("NEW!")
« Reply #540 on: January 02, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »
RANDOM NOTICE:

For those of you who care, Fanfic of the Month isn't totally discarded...

...We have something epic planned ahead  :heart: :heart: :heart:

For those of you who don't care...We hope you all participate in the epic thing planned  :heart: :heart: :heart:

It's big, I'm tellin' ya xDDD

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #541 on: January 02, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »
Happy New Year! :) Sorry I'm a bit late with that... :sweatdrop:

Some epicness? Oooo... :cow:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #542 on: January 08, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »
*randomly trips in* Ack!

Nothing much today, just a plea to a few writers! A simple, tiny little request from an aging hag with failing eyesight like myself! It won't take long to just skim through!

PLEASE! PLEASE DOUBLE-SPACE IN BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS!

I know it's probably a personal quirk of mine, but I really find it easier with, I dunno, greater definition in between one paragraph and another? Because...

Something like this is hard to read.
Really.
When in bigger chunks.
If it's small like these sentences its ok, but when you start putting more than a few lines and then mashing all the paragraphs together, it looks like a huge mess aesthetically and I really have a problem, cos you know, FAILING EYESIGHT.

It's not that hard. Just press Enter a second time when starting a new paragraph. How difficult can it be? I'm really sorry if this offends anyone or if they think it infringes on their freedom and their rights, but just a little favor? Double space in between paragraphs. It really isn't that hard.

I don't remember who doesn't double-space. I'm not aiming this at any specific person. Just, anyone who isn't double-spacing between paragraphs and future writers who might post...

Please just double space. It's just one more Enter. It won't kill you.

This has been a unscheduled broadcast. Proceeding to shut down.

Feeling random. Heh. Do consider it though.

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #543 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:48 AM »
-lands in the thread via parachute-

o_O...........

Er... to jumpstart this thread a bit...

xDDD What are some of the necessities you need while you write?

I HAVE to have my music playing! Not just any music, but random BGM music to help me get in the mood of what I want to write! It's why I like making OSTs for my stories such as OCG II xDDDD That and I totally need my green tea! Can't write with a dry throat! o___o;

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #544 on: January 26, 2009, 04:42:21 AM »
^Hey! The green tea thing is mine! Back off! XD

But yeah, me and my green tea too. I swear I was doing it before Yuuchan did. XD What else...

Depending on my mood, sometimes I'll have one song on infinite loop because I feel inspired by it, and will just keep writing until I either pass out or finish. Haha. XD Then again I usually just ignore whatever is in the background once I'm "in the zone". Lol. Don't really need much but the green tea. THE GREEN TEA! O_O

XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #545 on: January 26, 2009, 05:06:12 AM »
^
During my university days, I used to have a MIDI file of this one classical composition (that I can't remember for the life of me) that I would play on repeat whenever I had a paper to type up. I'd keep the volume of it really low, so that I could just barely hear it. Anything louder than that and it would distract me too much from my writing.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #546 on: January 26, 2009, 05:09:40 AM »
Interesting question~
Personally, I just need to be left alone. I can't concentrate if stuff is going on around me. Cuz I'm ADD like that. :lol: I don't usually listen to music, unless I'm writing a songfic. I just get distracted and start listening to whatever it is instead of writing. :P
And being undisturbed also helps me visualize the scenes. I like watching my own private movie in my head. :grin: Oh and if I was inspired by something, I need to have it with me to keep the juices flowing. Example: "Bath Time" was inspired by lemon soap so I actually washed my hands with it twice so I could still smell it. XD I should have brought my whole laptop into the kitchen.

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #547 on: January 26, 2009, 07:12:05 AM »
i recently noticed that i think better when in the dark... i only turn on the light when the fire's already burning and i'm ready to write... no music... music distracts me from mentally gnawing my limbs... i

for my themed fic, i have to watch yo-yo trick videos before writing... but that's all...

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #548 on: January 26, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
-hasn't been writing-

no wait..

-hasn't been finishing writings-

I need no music to actually focus on writing or like JFC I'll play the music REALLLLYY soft. But then.. I'll end up fiddling with anything I spot on my table or bed so.. well in other words I get distracted sooooooo easily that I can't write properly.  :P

NOT GOOD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 07:37:06 AM by stefy »

Offline maverickpanda

• Yaguchi&Yossi: awesome begets awesome
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #549 on: January 28, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
I have to be using my laptop, because for some reason it just feels more comfortable.  When it comes to the issue of music, for me, it is about having enough music playing in the background.  Whether it be a quirk or something, I can only write when I have my earbuds in, but only one earbud, just so I have enough attention focused on my surroundings. 

(Image of absolute awesome provided by Gloopip Graphix)

Friends are those who walk in when the rest of the world walks out.

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #550 on: January 31, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »
I prefer to have music, but it doesn't matter. I definitely don't have too much creativity, though. Most of my fics are/will be based off of some fact/real moment that took place, and plays off of that. (i.e Beneficial Disaster, where I used Sayu's radio show) I also work much better during the night... and that applies to everything (homework, fics, projects). Not exactly good for my body, though. Or my eyesight. :x

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #551 on: February 03, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
A late Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year x 2!  A long bout of writer's block sucks, but lately I've been getting ideas.  (Nothing H!P/fanfic-related.)  It's nice to have a notebook filling up with scribblings again.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #552 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:50 AM »
OMG! OTN is alive~!!!!! :lol:

Offline Demon Eyes

• My Slashables!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I See It, Do you?
« Reply #553 on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
The gods are coming back!

My fav writer here is aliveeee!

Yay!

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #554 on: February 04, 2009, 09:13:44 PM »
* daigong jumps out of the bushes

I SEE YOU FAN FIC PEEPS. Yo Mods. I'm a holler atcha this week. On MSN. Word is BOND. We got some Annie Shit To Prep! :theking

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #555 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:48 AM »
^
Aww, nice to know the big guys still care about us writers. :P J/K I know you love us~ :heart:

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #556 on: February 05, 2009, 01:10:39 PM »
*Yuuchan screams and runs into a pole, BUT IS OKAY! She has a hardhat on!

Sorry, that was sudden... o_O;

But yeah, try to make it after 1PM EST? I'm being a nice person by doing volunteer work in the morning, haha xDDDD

Looking forward to the meeting!

Oh and for a new random prompt question... seeing as the previous one became a hit....

What kind of scenes do you enjoy writing the most?

Me, I adore writing funny scenes! I'd always think to myself "Oh, they'll definitely laugh at this part!" or "Woo! Came up with a new punch line! Let's see if someone could use it!" or something like that o___o; That and I'm the sort of person who'd laugh at my own jokes... My Loser-chan's right! I AM lame! O_____O!!!! I also like to write emo scenes as it's a personal challenge for me to see if I can make my readers sad by reading it. So I always end up rewriting drafts of a particular scene to see which one is better to use~!

What's everyone else's?  :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #557 on: February 05, 2009, 01:39:28 PM »
I like to write scenes with Miki in it because it can lead up to many things...

I like writing funny scenes too but sometimes there are only a handful of people who get the punchline. (prolly because they share the same perverse wavelength as I XD)

What I don't like writing or something that's really a challenge for me are flashback scenes or when you write 'history' for the story. I have to look at that part as a write another chap to make sure that everything is established so I won't have to retcon. Even a very minor detail can screw up the continuity.

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline strawb3rrykream

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #558 on: February 05, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »
I also enjoy writing funny scenes. In real life, I love to make ppl laugh so why not in writing too? :lol: I love to think up some random stuff and somehow incorporate it.
Oooh, and I love writing angst! :P I don't know why, but it's just kinda fun... :D I think b/c I like do go into detail and pain is very versatile in that way.
One thing I like but I occasionally find difficult is sex scenes. :shocked

About the meeting, I'll probably be able to get on on Friday.....

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #559 on: February 05, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
Hmm, interesting question. I think the scenes I enjoy writing the most can be boiled down to two types. First is he blandly ironic type where the humor is really understated, so much so that it's the kind that you have to read twice and be like "that is funny...maybe...ok it is funny but I'm not sure why!", that kind of feeling. Haha. The other type I like is the action scenes, like fighting and stuff. It's fun. :D

Another type of scene I find a challenge to write, but fun as well, are those bittersweet scenes. I hate emo scenes. XD I really really try not to overdo the emo when I have to write that kind of scene, so I always intersperse a kind of...しょうがない or "can't be helped" feeling that is both sad yet bittersweet at the same time? Dunno, my sadness tends to mix humor in, just like the way I am in real life. I tend to make fun of myself when I'm incredibly upset, so I do the same to my characters. Haha. XD

But yeah, I enjoy writing most scenes, it's hard to say what I hate writing per se, but it depends on my mood to see what makes it easier. I also have some difficulty with perv, I keep having to stop at parts, hit my head against the nearest hard surface, then continue again. Lol. Hence I try not to write pervs? :P It's bad for my health~

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Wonder Girls - Saying I Love You