JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Utopia

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 303283 times)

Offline katatsumuri

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread ("NEW!")
« Reply #440 on: November 11, 2008, 09:52:23 AM »
although I sometimes wish that sycophancy was less prevalent...ah well, personal quirk there. I just happen to feel that sometimes, we have too much blind worship going on instead of criticism when and where it was needed. It's like we're all too nice to each other (most of the time :P).
touche~

I'm not so sure about the White list thing. I tried to help some but I guess I ended up wounding their ego instead.  XD Well, my fault. I still have a hard time finding a balance between being conducive and downright nitpicking. However, sometimes people aren't as open to criticisms as we can see from what's going on in this thread now. XD Of course that why you said only those interested should sign up for it.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #441 on: November 11, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
@JFC & sweeety:

NO RESPONDING!!! This argument ends here, kiddos. And I mean it. Either take it to private convo or forget about it, but the forum isn't meant for a public battle. And this is an official warning. No fighting for who gets to have the last word, please.

Speaking of sig sizes, there's not only a pixel limit, but there's a 180KB limit, too... *looks at JFC's hip gifs* See, everyone makes mistakes, so let's move the fuck on!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 09:58:30 AM by shirenu »
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #442 on: November 11, 2008, 10:04:45 AM »
I'm not so sure about the White list thing. I tried to help some but I guess I ended up wounding their ego instead.  XD Well, my fault. I still have a hard time finding a balance between being conducive and downright nitpicking. However, sometimes people aren't as open to criticisms as we can see from what's going on in this thread now. XD Of course that why you said only those interested should sign up for it.

Yup yup, that's why only willing victims volunteers should sign up I guess. Not everyone is ready to undergo trial by fire, so it's basically a personal choice thing. Of course, being on the White List doesn't mean you're open to free bitching...there's a difference between constructive criticism and malicious attacks I guess. Might be hard to regulate but we will have to set ground rules like NO PERSONAL ATTACKS right off the bat, assuming we go ahead with this of course.

*looks around* So, watchoo guys think?

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #443 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:22 AM »
*cautiously knocks on thread door and enters* Well, that was...interesting!
*huggles shirenu for making it feel safe again* :lol:

It would also help if the lurkers, you know, stopped lurking and comment a bit. It's good motivation for the writers, although I sometimes wish that sycophancy was less prevalent...ah well, personal quirk there.
Aw crud! But that's the only thing I'm good at Essy-chan :cry:
But hey, YOU could always comment on the young gun's fics and give them some pointers, did ya think of that? ;)

I'm always tentative to point out things that could be improved on coz I don't want to discourage people so overall I tend to see the good parts of it and dwell on them... Sure it's not helpful to improve but I'm no writer so my opinion wouldn't be very helpful in the first place XD And then again, where is the line of what is actually improving someone's writing and what is just instilling your personal preference on to them?
I guess I'm kinda hippy-ish when it comes to people's feelings coz I believe that with practice, encouragement and self-reflection, will come a lot of improvement as no one is a better critic of your own work than yourself (unless you're completely narcissistic) so I want people to develop and feel good about it, rather than have the writing become a chore for them... But, on the otherhand, I do see how the odd person needs a little kick in the right direction to start em' off.
With saying that, if I'm asked for my down & dirty constructive criticism of a fic & I think the person can 'take it' (and I'm not scared of them), then I'm all up for it (right imouto!?).

Anyway, to your point :P I think a "White list" for people who want to take part would be a good idea and really helpful for the aspiring Essy's here... but, wasn't that the point of the Bootcamp in the first place? Which had some awesome fanservice going on :w00t:

Oh & Es, in the future, if I CAN critique your writing I will... but don't expect it, you tend to satisfy my preferences of writing style so its hard to not be bias & all loving :lol: :heart:

EDIT: As a note to the writers, seeing I tend to worry about this, just coz I don't comment on your fics doesn't mean I don't like them... one particular person is ShikyoxYaiba, I think I've only had a chance to read one of your fics and was impressed, I can't wait to read more :D... In about two weeks I shall be whoring this place with comments as I catch up on a stuff :twisted: especially Hammy-sama's thread :w00t:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:00:41 AM by lollipopgirl »

Offline katatsumuri

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #444 on: November 11, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
I am thinking bootcamp is more for before (posting) while Essy is suggesting having an alternative voice after. But I thought such constructive criticisms should be kept to PM, unless the writer doesn't mind it. It can also prevent any pedantic from taking this opportunity to show off. And those who signed up can choose whom they specifically wanna hear from. Overall, I think it's a great idea, and good for serious writers who wanna improve on their writing.

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2008, 11:53:04 AM »
^ I like, I like! Especially the keeping it to PM, just find that more, for lack of a better word, caring... Nice idea guys :) I hope the writers go for it then...
It keeps everyone interconnected and close too :heart: (yeah I know, being all sentimental again :oops: )

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #446 on: November 11, 2008, 12:05:09 PM »
I am thinking bootcamp is more for before (posting) while Essy is suggesting having an alternative voice after. But I thought such constructive criticisms should be kept to PM, unless the writer doesn't mind it. It can also prevent any pedantic from taking this opportunity to show off. And those who signed up can choose whom they specifically wanna hear from. Overall, I think it's a great idea, and good for serious writers who wanna improve on their writing.

Thanks for helping me elaborate my idea, the damn headache I'm having is making me woozy. ^_^ But yup, basically it's more of a "after the fact" thing, whereas Bootcamp serves to give suggestions for refining a chapter before posting. I'm liking the PM idea, it'll be less injuring than commenting directly for everyone to see...plus I can see the likelihood of trolling if we let free posting occur.

Since we're on the topic already, I was thinking of setting up a system of betas maybe? It's one thing to send a chapter to Bootcamp and have suggestions made on how to improve, perhaps it'd help to have someone look through a chapter to correct grammar and spelling errors (basic stuff) or just catch possible mistakes in general. Of course, this would have to be a more personal thing between writer and beta, and I would definitely recommend that they chat on an IM service or something to boost communication if they enter such a relationship.

Or even better, bouncing ideas off each other. I know that some of my ideas were made even better (or eviler) because I talk to others like stefy and hamz about them, and they chip in with their opinions about it, which really helps. I think maybe we should have our own chatroom? Lol. It'd be crazy fun, if nothing else. Again, just another suggestion into the pot. Discuss freely!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline wings4dreams

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #447 on: November 11, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
Okay, this idea is brilliant!  I don't know about any one else, but I really need the harsh critique.  If this 'white list' gets created I want to be on it.  of course I know I'm setting myself up for a few wounds, but any time I have gotten critiques I have really appreciated it (just don't give up on me if you don't see immediate improvment).
However, is it pathetic to say I really enjoy the praising comments as well...even if its not true*sigh*...so I guess what I'm saying is maybe it should be a rule that you have to put it one nice thing before ripping a story apart.  That way its an easier blow to take and hopefully it will prevent people from tearing up stories that maybe they just didn't like in the first place, or is this suggestion still too much coddiling <--- wings is not sure this is a word.

but I'm most interested in the 'beta' thing...I've never used a beta before, but I think it would be nice to have someone correct things I miss or even help me see plot holes and inconsistances. Guess I should look into getting an IM or something...

So...who wants to be my beta?

*potential betas run away screaming in horror*

aw man...everytime...

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #448 on: November 11, 2008, 03:23:53 PM »
Lol I personally don't think that critiquing a story would necessitate "ripping" them apart. It's perfectly possible to be polite, even if you're telling someone that they're not doing something right. But I get what you mean, it can feel pretty demoralizing if people keep telling you you suck. I know someone did that to me before, and I totally quit writing for a good 2 years because of it. But hey, I think it helped me improve during that time, but anyway, I agree that rudeness shouldn't factor into criticism, we're all here to help each other out for the collective benefit of the community? ^_^

To be honest with everyone, I've never used a beta myself either, although I used to correct errors in my writing based on reviews back when I was still active on FFnet. XD It also helps that I have great sounding boards to talk to, so their close questioning about the plots of my stories makes sure that I won't leave stuff hanging awkwardly or create plot holes on accident. A second perspective really helps you look at your own work more objectively.

@wings: I've been a beta for a friend before, and it was quite fun, if a bit boring after a while (cos my friend writes SUPER LONG chapters, it takes forever to get through them XD). I wouldn't mind looking at your stuff, but it'll have to wait until after my exams. You should get an IM, it makes things easier if you wanna talk to any one of us (us meaning the fanfic writing/reading crew XD).

Which brings me back to an earlier idea. This discussion thread is useful for hanging out and stuff, but I think we deserve our own chatroom by now. XD I can imagine crazy things happening if we do lol. But yeah, just suggestions for the mods to look at. ^_^

Peace.

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #449 on: November 11, 2008, 06:52:21 PM »
woah!

Uh... so much happening in such a short time! anyway... it's nice how this side of the forum is teeming with life... and i'm somehow part of that life... i'm such a no life now... anyway...

i'm a bit late so, i apologize...

what does everyone think about our fanfic forum? ^_^ I mean, we're probably one of the more prominent (?) English-based H!P fanfic forums?
Yeah, I remember telling some people here about that. I think we are a pretty active community of writers and readers. I don't know if it's just me but even with our growing numbers recently, we sort of have an idea who's who around here (and I don't mean that in a hierarchical who's who, rather who writes what and how), I think we also have a very diverse roster of writers and readers. Most of the time I think the exchanges are healthy...

The white list is a good idea. (I was reading my fic yesterday and i really wanted to shoot myself.)

The bootcamp.... I think it would be good to develop the core of the story first before diving head on... So that the story can have depth, have a strong foundation and can be developed in a more consistent, concentrated and coherent manner with some faithfulness the the characters involved... so yes to the bootcamp...

Well... I had a sort-of bootcamp-master-beta too... but then, I'm really a nut so... I kinda wasted that... It's good when the beta has a good grasp of the characterizations and has a pretty good depth perception...

Can we have a list of people who want and are available to beta? So that we won't end up harassing people who might not be available to do it... Maybe we can have them indexed...
Like:
Characters they have "mastered" (in a manner of speaking)
Literary Focus (if a writer wants to improve on specific elements)
Tendencies writers might want to run away from (Reasons why we SHOULDN'T pick you) - biases or quirks that might impede a fair and honest assessment of the story
Etc. (These are just suggestions)

and then just "apply" for "discipleship"

I also suggest an expansion of the bootcamp... Just to stimulate greater variety among the stories that are coming out... So maybe... a combined index for bootcamp-masters and betas (just specify which side are you on, the before, after or both)

a chatroom would be awesome... so we can talk in real-time...

Yeah... I think when the criticism is grounded on valid substantiated reasons, that can't be ripping apart... as long as the necessary points are specified and you find that there really is a need for improvement, it stings a lot but it's for our own good...

While many are buddies and what not, I think there should still be some respect for the writers and the stories... It's bad enough that you know you did something wrong... but sometimes the delivery of the news is more heart-wrenching... There are many painful ways of receiving criticism, bring on the pain but insults are definitely not welcome.

I think PM's are good places to point those things out... discretion and tact and secret codes are welcome on the threads themselves...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:46:59 PM by tru_harmony »

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #450 on: November 11, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »
Awesome contribution, tru! ^_^ I can call you that, right? *doesn't want to be presumptuous*

Anyway, I like your idea of an index. This might actually work, but we'll probably have to put in more work to make the whole thing happen. Haha. I guess maybe we should be talking to the mods for their input? But we probably should try to figure out the details of how such an "apprentice" system would work as well before actually putting in a proposal...why am I sounding like a project manager...>_> Lol.

But summary of the ideas floating around so far:

1) Pre-story
- Idea discussion (maybe in chat?)
- Bootcamp

2) Pre-chapter
- Beta system

3) Post-chapter
- Review system (I'm just making up the names on the spot XD)

So basically, stage one has the conceptualization of a story, plot and stuff. Bootcamp will help with technique if anyone wants it. Stage two will be more personal and one-on-one, the writer interacts with a beta to spot mistakes in a chapter before posting. Stage three will basically be evaluation by neutral parties...assuming you want to be reviewed, of course.

Naturally, all this is voluntary. No one is forced to do anything that they don't want. But this seems to be the basic structure of what we've been discussing so far. I'm welcome to any other ideas! ^_^ Let's make this a community effort! ^_^

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #451 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:42 PM »
Ooooh sounds like a sexy idea, y'all~!

Yeah, the bootcamp already is like that, really. We always receive PM'd requests for beta-ing or pointing out discrepancies within writing styles and stuff, so the idea's already being implemented, woo xDDD

The idea could be really rockin' though. I mean, we as a community would definitely be closer together if we establish a good writer/beta relationship like petite souer/grande souer kouhai/senpai in school~! I was thinking that we'd advertise the betas/masters and their forte on the bootcamp first post (or a new thread) so that readers have the choice to select the trainer who they think will help them most or who they want to influence them. It's kinda like a sale of personal trainers, purchase whoever's skills so you can learn more about it and improve it.

...This is like one big MMORPG, roffle xD Get a trainer class...buy a weapon... advance trainer classes...

Anywho, awesome idea, Essy-chan~!  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Offline tru_harmony

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #452 on: November 11, 2008, 10:44:28 PM »
Awesome contribution, tru! ^_^ I can call you that, right? *doesn't want to be presumptuous*
Thanks for taking note of my post, Estrea-san! Yes, you can call me tru  :yep:

Anyway, I like your idea of an index. This might actually work, but we'll probably have to put in more work to make the whole thing happen. Haha. I guess maybe we should be talking to the mods for their input? But we probably should try to figure out the details of how such an "apprentice" system would work as well before actually putting in a proposal...why am I sounding like a project manager...>_> Lol.
Yeah. I just realized that a major challenge here is determining who is qualified to become a beta. Many are called but few may be chosen. Oh well... Maybe we can accept applications first... and cross the bridge when we get there depending on how many actually apply and who apply... Maybe we can open a thread or use this one to accept applications... Hmm... The selection process is still beyond me but it would be nice to know if there are willing participants early on.
It's okay to sound like a project manager. Somebody has to do it to get this off the ground.

But summary of the ideas floating around so far:

1) Pre-story
- Idea discussion (maybe in chat?)
- Bootcamp

2) Pre-chapter
- Beta system

3) Post-chapter
- Review system (I'm just making up the names on the spot XD)
The idea discussion in chat is a good thing. With more people having inputs and applying different perspectives i think the story idea can be further enriched. Maybe the betas can also be PM'd for advice on the story idea. 
The white-list would fall under the post-chapter phase, right?(The names you made up work just fine XD)

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #453 on: November 11, 2008, 11:13:40 PM »
Wow, I'm liking all these ideas!!! There are always writers (like me) who want to improve and this sounds like a great opportunity.
Gah, this all sounds too fun!!! :lol: :w00t:

Offline katatsumuri

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #454 on: November 12, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »
Everything brought up has been good so far, but I'm kinda against the idea of discussing the story-in a chatroom, or openly, or with a group of betas, or whoever is hanging out there too. What makes a good fic is partly the plot, the suspense that is built up from wanting to know what will happen next. Then it seems almost half the supposed readers already knew what's going to happen in your story, plus there's no guarantee people who already knew won't let slip the plot accidentally. So a writer and his/her beta should be strictly one to one. Having a group of betas for writers here is a good thing, however I don't wish to see it turn out mandatory that every writer must have a beta before they can start posting their fic here. I know this whole thing is voluntary but reading the posts here now makes me feel that and how everything seem like a big project now. Writing is supposed to be fun too. There are some writers who write just for the fun of it and I'm afraid some of them might be 'intimidated' from posting now. If everything is made so tough now, I'm afraid we'll see a dwindling of fics and slower updates for exisitng one. Another thing we have to take note is the community here is relatively small. Mostly all readers are writers themselves, and the group of people who would bother to comment are just that few. Lurkers will forever remain lurkers, that's their nature.

I apologize if I sound not so right here... rushing for work.  :P

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• Right now it's... KKANGPAE SHIDAE!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Does Don Jess have to slap a bitch?
« Reply #455 on: November 12, 2008, 02:04:35 AM »
@estrea...yeah, and I've been missing all the good fanfics here as well. God, it's hard loving Korean music and not having a decent and well written fanfic story to read. Sigh. So my mission is to get you to love SNSD and get you to write a fic. Haha jk. Unless you want to *desperate*

Awww thanks lollopop :) Oh, an undercover fan? We can fix that.

So, who wants to recommend me some good ol stuff? Yes, I'm purposely not looking outside this topic so I don't see the thread filled with titles

-O_sLaVe
edit: I just skimmed through.... did I come back in the middle of an argument? haha
>>LIFE ~is just another story~2008/12/26<<
Please Spread The Love; Pervy Thinkers Association

Offline tru_harmony

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #456 on: November 12, 2008, 02:22:11 AM »
@katatsumuri-san: I have to concede to that first point you mentioned. Yeah...
What makes a good fic is partly the plot, the suspense that is built up from wanting to know what will happen next.
  :yep:
==
I think the due to the limitations of our small population we cannot mandate that every writer have a beta. We have to admit that not everybody can beta. If everyone is required to have a beta, that would also mean that almost all writers are betas to another writer. I think that's a self limiting characteristic of this "program".

Like the bootcamp before, people are free to "enroll" fics or complete work portfolios if they want, back out when they realize it's not for them or not bother about it.

My idea for the index is just to have a roster of on-call betas just so we know who to call when we are in literary limbo. I think the problem there is when two or more writers want the same beta.  ;)

As for toughness, that's what we have the other commenters for. I think the people who bother to comment here kind-off makes the pressure ease up a bit. We have a very friendly bunch around.   :D

I think being in a community as active as ours and having prolific writers here sort-of pressures some writers already(me)

as for the chatroom, i think it would be a good place to know the people in here... I spend time in JPH!P's forum and i rarely see fanfic forum folks there...

Off-topic: Lurkers are really cute sometimes, I think... :lol: ...

Offline maverickpanda

• Yaguchi&Yossi: awesome begets awesome
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #457 on: November 12, 2008, 02:49:24 AM »
am I a cute lurker? I hope So.  :pandaaa:

I never even thought about the idea of betas, until someone told me that I should since my writing sometimes can be a bit hectic.  Anyways, I can happily report that I have been using a beta for my "Where did it al begin" Story and I am very happy with how it came out, but at the same time, Charmy in wonderland I just write and post and I like how that comes out too.  And it seems like people comment more on Charmy than Where it all begins so I don't know anymore.

(Image of absolute awesome provided by Gloopip Graphix)

Friends are those who walk in when the rest of the world walks out.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #458 on: November 12, 2008, 03:24:52 AM »
@kata: You brought up some very valid points, methinks. I have always thought that writer and beta should be one on one, since this kind of thing can't really work in a group and all. The point that everyone might feel pressured to have a beta is also thought-worthy, but I guess we should get it right off the bat that it's not necessary, just helpful if they want a second opinion. I, for one, have never wanted a beta, although I definitely would like more indepth comments about whether I can improve a chapter after posting. It's not like we have to subscribe to everything in that proposed system...you can just want a beta, but not want the whole nine yards. Something like that perhaps?

Oh and I agree that writing should be fun. That's why I said that this thing is only for people who think that they 1) need the help, 2) want to get even better. But even then ALL writing should be fun, because readers can tell if a writer likes the story, or they're just writing grudgingly. And it's a lot less fun if a writer is bored with their own story...where is the motivation if we're bored with our own story? [Reference: See me and AA] Lol.

I agree that discussing plot ideas openly may not be the best idea, but I was also thinking about other elements like pre-story, like you don't really know what to write and are just randomly throwing things out there to see what works. I know some of my crackfic ideas came from chatting to other people (Nocturne was inspired by poets, who wanted a Bad!Ai), and I still need to get down to writing a Sailor Moon crossover that Yuuyami discussed once (and had a lot of fun making fun of it XD).

I guess the chatting is more a form of...brainstorming? Like sometimes we have writer's block and it can be frustrating when we want to write something but don't know where to start. I've been of the belief that writer's block can only be cured by more writing, so sometimes just discussing random ideas can be useful. And even ongoing stories can benefit from it, since readers might like something to happen, and have suggestions that you might not have thought of....of course one must learn when to stick to your own idea and not just incorporate whatever your readers wanted....I made that mistake with AA lol. But yeah, it's not like you're just revealing the whole plot to everyone, more like just throwing around ideas and watching discussion about them. It can help sometimes.

Ok that was a super long ramble for someone who just woke up. Haha.

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #459 on: November 12, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »
am I a cute lurker too?

I did make the room at #JPH!P-fics ...any volunteers to be ops and such? It's good for hammering out problems in real time. but HEY:

Reading y'all ideas - PRETTY COOL. The more chatting is THE MORE AWESOME. i.e. posting in this forum lol

Holler at us sometime this week, the JPH!P Admin Office is ALWAYS open to suggestions and we'll whip this baby in shape!

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Utopia