JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: WINK - Eien No LADY DOLL

Author Topic: The TV Postwhoring Thread  (Read 50981 times)

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
Re: The TV Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 09:08:54 AM »
Over spring break, I watched a lot of old shows (because there really isn't much that appeals to me on daytime TV XD) and I discovered the awesomeness that is I Spy. An old favorite of my mom's as well, we both really like the fact that they shot a lot of it on location. It's cool to see what foreign countries looked like 50 years ago rofl

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »
I decided to watch Orphan Black since I needed time to settle things down after watching a new episode of Doctor Who. Big mistake. 5 episodes in and I'm hooked. Lots of suspense and drama with a dash of clones and brief shots of nudity.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 05:48:28 PM »
Having finished watching all 5 seasons of Babylon 5 recently, I've been trying to decide on which one to watch/rewatch next.
Finally decided on Firefly, since I haven't seen it inna long time, and also it doesn't have that many eps to watch. :)
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
Just watched the trailer for 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.', and I'm looking forward to it. :)
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:10 PM »
^ I too have watched the promo and I've got 4 questions to ask:
- Was that Luke Cage jumping out of that window carrying a red-haired woman (who might be the Black Widow)?
- Is that slowly receding explosion The Vision?
- Is Coulson's car one of the flying kind that Stark built for S.H.E.I.L.D in the comics?
- Will there be cameos from the movies and the comics (i.e. Sharon Carter, Dum Dum Dougan, Jessica Drew - a.k.a Spider-Woman, Carol Danvers - a.k.a. Miss Marvel/Captain Marvel)?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
Any of this look familiar?

Did some quick Googling...and yep, it is.

Syfy Greenlights New Series 'Exit' Based on Hit Japanese Series
Written By Sara Bibel | April 3rd, 2013

NEW YORK – April 3, 2013 – Building off the success of its hit series Face Off and Total Blackout, Syfy today announced an expansion of its reality competition programming with the greenlighting of Exit. Based on the Nippon Television Network’s hit Japanese series Dero!, Exit is an all-new six episode series hosted by Curt Doussett (America’s Lost Treasures, Hazard Pay) set to premiere June 4 at 10PM ET/PT.

In each nail-biting episode, four teams of two contestants will battle to escape a series of four mind-bending and seemingly diabolical rooms, each more challenging than the last. The winning team must beat the clock while solving rapid-fire brain games and navigating a bevy of terrifyingly entertaining puzzles in order to be the only team to truly exit and win the $10,000 prize.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/04/03/syfy-greenlights-new-series-exit-based-on-hit-japanese-series/176394/

OTHER LINKS -
http://www.syfy.com/exit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_(TV_series)

Bravo Hollywood, just go ahead and show more evidence that your writers/producers are having major trouble coming up with material that's both interesting AND new/original.   :P2

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
Anybody watch the show Toy Hunter? It's about some dude who goes through people's collections and buys and sells the more rare and interesting pieces. It's great because you get background info and some of the toys you played with as a kid make appearances as well  XD

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
I am currently looking for a new dark drama to get into now that True Detective is finished - I know True Detective was only 8 episodes long, but I am still sort of surprised to see there isn't a thread for it on here :O If nobody watched it, it comes highly recommended!

I'm thinking about getting into Justified, according to friends, it's Breaking Bad levels of awesome. Not sure I believe them quite yet, but we'll see XD

I think my current favourite show is Broad City. It's hipster as fuck (as in.. uh.. the now mainstream meaning of the word), but somehow also very relatable? Even though my life experiences in no way, shape or form match up with these people's? I don't even know, but it's great!

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/vklqsb/broad-city-welcome-to-broad-city

lol this trailer is ... uuuuuuuh yeah. Also, sorry I can't embed :[

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »
^ +1 for Justified, one of my fave shows currently. And watch Les Revenants if you haven't yet.

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
Sweet, I'll keep watching :)

I saw the first episode of Les Revenants a while back, and was left with very conflicting feelings about it. I love zombies and the classic zombie plotline, and was surprised at how effectively creepy Les Revenants changes to the genre were. It is seriously disturbing, and I needed some time to process it. I guess I'll dive back in for more episode at some point...

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 01:34:12 AM »
I should start into Justified as well. Heard some good things.

Assuming you have Netflix, I would absolutely recommend House of Cards. The American political jargon can be a little hard to follow sometimes, but it doesn't detract from a pretty dark tale of one politicians rise to power through any means. What's interesting is that for shows like Breaking Bad, amongst all the very dark subjects it tackles and the story it tells, there's always one character you root for. You want Jesse to make it out of the business. House of Cards has no such characters. They're all kind of reprehensible, self-serving people looking to use others for their own gain. However it's a testament to the strength of the writing and acting that they're still interesting characters you want to watch. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, rightly lead the way in acting performance, with Spacey's portrayal just as chilling as when you saw Bryan Cranston at his brilliant best in Breaking Bad. When he addresses you, the viewer, it's hard not to feel some goosebumps running up your arm.

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »
I followed along the first season of House of Cards, but I didn't finish it. I really did enjoy it, so I am sure I will revisit it at some point and watch all if it (Spacey really is fantastic in it). But I was following too many shows at the time, and I wasn't really feeling it. You sort of need to be in a certain state of mind to be able to really follow along.

What do you guys think about the current trend of making films into TV shows? I just watched the pilot of the Netflix original series based on From Dusk Till Dawn (the series is just called From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series), but there are also TV shows based on Fargo and GoodFellas in the works ... am I the only one who feels this is extremely redundant? Especially since the original films are such iconic pieces, it seems strange bringing them back, reworked, for the small screen.

The pilot episode of From Dusk Till Dawn seems to steer the show into a somewhat different direction than the film - they've added a new character which right now seems to be there mainly so the audience won't have to root for the main characters, who are a couple of very unlikeable guys.
I rewatched the film after the pilot, because it's been quite a while since I saw it last, and I just can't really imagine what they'll do to this film to make it "safe" for TV. Rodriguez himself is attached to the show as director, but I don't know. I find the whole project slightly strange. Though admittedly, the original film does have a setting that makes it interesting to explore the world further in a TV show ... but Fargo and GoodFellas?

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
^ Ehhhh?? They're actually doing that? When I read discussion about TV becoming more cinematic, that's not what I had in mind :( Sigh, so typical of Hollywood to start recycling when a new way of doing it comes along...
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
I followed along the first season of House of Cards, but I didn't finish it. I really did enjoy it, so I am sure I will revisit it at some point and watch all if it (Spacey really is fantastic in it). But I was following too many shows at the time, and I wasn't really feeling it. You sort of need to be in a certain state of mind to be able to really follow along.

You absolutely do need to be in the right frame of mind, I agree. I will say that first season does have those episodes where not much happens and it's kind of hard to keep up. But Season 2 cuts all of that fat, every episode starts or continues some story and it's all very good. Definately give it another try. The first episode of Season 2 is one of the best hours of television you'll see.

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 06:46:55 PM »
^ Ehhhh?? They're actually doing that?

Yep. Very much so.

I find the differences in the short synopsis for the two different From Dusk Till Dawn incarnations particularly interesting :lol:
Original: Two criminals and their hostages unknowingly seek temporary refuge in an establishment populated by vampires, with chaotic results.
TV series: A Texas Ranger is in hot pursuit of the infamous Gecko brothers.

So yeah, it seems they'll make the Texas Ranger the main character more so than the Gecko brothers. Which is an interesting route to take, I guess, but the whole show still feels extremely redundant. I haven't really read up on this show, the whole thing caught me by surprise, I found the pilot randomly on Netflix. It would be interesting to read what Rodriguez himself has to say about the project.

The cast of the Fargo TV show looks SO AMAZINGLY GOOD, though. Omg. Bob Odenkirk! Glenn Howerton! Martin Freeman (.... lololol). I have no idea how close this show will be to the source material, it seems very loosely based on the setting and world outlined in the film.
FX has posted a lot of quirky short teaser "trailers" for the show on youtube. Here's one with Martin Freeman enjoying a spin on the old tumble dryer:

It seems like the "latest" news about the GoodFellas TV show are two years old now :lol: I admittedly have no idea if this is still in the works, but I haven't heard any news saying the project has been cancelled.

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »
Did any of ya'll follow Brooklyn Nine-Nine? It's probably my favorite show on TV right now. I know season one finished airing in the States a few weeks ago and it was getting picked up elsewhere. I'm just really pleased with the diversity and characterization that happens in that show. It's so hilarious without falling into boring tropes and I genuinely care for pretty much everyone on the show.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2014, 03:35:42 AM »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »
I have watched that trailer like ten times, I AM SO EXCITED.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »
^^ Now the big question: Where will he store his costume? In a ring perhaps?  :lol:

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: WINK - Eien No LADY DOLL