JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hinouchi Emi - Trap

Author Topic: Magic Johnson  (Read 15336 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Magic Johnson
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:09:14 AM »
Magic Johnson

Earvin "Magic" Johnson Jr. (born August 14, 1959) is a retired American professional basketball player who played point guard for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA). After winning championships in high school and college, Johnson was selected first overall in the 1979 NBA Draft by the Lakers. He won a championship and an NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award in his rookie season, and won four more championships with the Lakers during the 1980s. Johnson retired abruptly in 1991 after announcing that he had HIV, but returned to play in the 1992 All-Star Game, winning the All-Star MVP Award. After protests from his fellow players, he retired again for four years, but returned in 1996 to play 32 games for the Lakers before retiring for the third and final time.

Johnson's career achievements include three NBA MVP Awards, nine NBA Finals appearances, twelve All-Star games, and ten All-NBA First and Second Team nominations. He led the league in regular-season assists four times, and is the NBA's all-time leader in assists per game, with an average of 11.2. Johnson was a member of the "Dream Team", the U.S. basketball team that won the Olympic gold medal in 1992.

Johnson was honored as one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History in 1996, and enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002. He was rated the greatest NBA point guard of all time by ESPN in 2007. His friendship and rivalry with Boston Celtics star Larry Bird, whom he faced in the 1979 NCAA finals and three NBA championship series, were well documented. Since his retirement, Johnson has been an advocate for HIV/AIDS prevention and safe sex, as well as a philanthropist and motivational speaker.

Links
Official Site
Magic Johnson Foundation
Magic Johnson Enterprises
NBA.com Profile
Wikipedia

My post #32,000 is dedicated to #32 Magic Johnson!

His play and charisma made me into the crazy fan of basketball, the NBA, and the Lakers I am today.
His battle with the HIV virus and sudden retirement made me a part of the cause for HIV/AIDS awareness.
His leadership on the entrepreneur scene has motivated me to build my own empire.

Magic Johnson, one of my all time fave players and role models. This post is for you! Always a Laker.
One of my goals going to LA in 2006 was to visit his statue at Staples. Click on the photo, you'll see :hipheart: left our mark :halo:

I bet Manoeri is a Magic Johnson fan too.  :P

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Re: Magic Johnson
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:59:37 AM »
Wow, we didn't have this thread before?

I was just watching this today:
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 06:15:05 AM »
magic was a great player

I bet Manoeri is a Magic Johnson fan too.  :P

lol you fanboy

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »
^ :yep:

Magic on Lopez Tonight

eta:

REAL basketball fans will watch this. So necessary required viewing, HBO documentary on Magic and Bird-A Courtship of Rivals

[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LKdSum4ysk[/noembed] (part 2)
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j74BrkYHdKk[/noembed] (part 3)
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnKtBMoxME[/noembed] (part 4)
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVYqdhagxs[/noembed] (part 5)
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFJWE0FbZMg[/noembed] (part 6)
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCrLL6eZqlo[/noembed] (part 7)
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnyi9SfEUw[/noembed] (part 8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 07:04:26 AM by daigong »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 05:42:08 AM »

Magic Johnson No Longer Part Owner of the Lakers

EL SEGUNDO – Los Angeles Lakers legend and part-owner Earvin “Magic” Johnson has sold his share of the team to Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong, it was announced today. The transaction price of Johnson’s share of the team is undisclosed.

Lakers majority owner Dr. Jerry Buss had this comment on the transaction: “The sale of Earvin’s share of the team is a business decision which will not change our relationship. Our friendship goes well beyond business. Patrick is a long-time and passionate Lakers fan and we are delighted to have him as a partner.”

source: http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/101018johnsonsellstosoonshiong.html

He's coming back!

XD

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »
Magic still leading the way for HIV/AIDS awareness on this WORLD AIDS DAY December 1st.

Magic was presented with the inaugural World AIDS Award from the AIDS Health Foundation in Los Angeles, California at the Staples Center this week amongst family, friends, admirers and other individuals who are passionate about the cause.  When presented with this award Johnson shared personal and heartfelt thoughts with attendees.  ““Who would have ever thought that 20 years later, here I am and we’re still trying to help people. This disease is a deadly disease, but I think now, where we couldn’t talk about it 20 years ago in open, now we can talk openly about it. We can have awards like tonight at the Staples Center. What a blessing that is.” he said.

source: http://kissrichmond.com/healthy-lifestyles/bmorris/magic-johnson-gives-heartfelt-words-during-ceremony-for-world-aids-day-magic-award/

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
Magic is on twitter! http://twitter.com/magicjohnson

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
EPIC COVER!! I wanna be like Magic. Actually I should read his book about bidness lol

Heard about this on Loose Cannons...just the determination. Not accepting "NO" even with something like HIV. The struggles he went through.
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/31131/magic-and-hiv-we-thought-it-was-a-death-sentence

Man when and where, I remember it. Like our TV was busted and I was like jaw dropped watching on our little B/W TV. And to think now he's just as active as ever, tearing up fools on ESPN/ABC :bow:

I BELIEVE IN MAGIC!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »

A TRUE leader in the community. Been reading your book. Really inspirational shit. Always my favorite Laker and the reason I got into basketball. Hope to meet him one day!

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »
For a long time, I considered Magic to be the best basketball player ever. While that has changed, can't take anything away from what he did and how he did it. Throwing bounce passes that would travel 3/4 of the court, or passes that would perfectly miss the reach of the defense or how he just towered over other PGs and was able to play all the positions.

I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 09:09:54 PM »
If you can say "We'll never see another player like him" that speaks a LOT.

many of this generation will just know as him the smiley fat guy on sports broadcasts but the SHIT he had to go through growing up in EAST LANSING.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
thx TOZ for the heads up text. 20 Years. I know where and when I was like just ocming home after school. He always been the reason why I got into NBA and to see him do so much off the court, it's truly inspirational.

I BELIEVE IN MAGIC!!

whoa and he gathered the WHO'S WHO in Laker lore. Buss, West and Riles on the same stage? A.C. Green!

Offline capsulefan

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 01:35:18 AM »
For a long time, I considered Magic to be the best basketball player ever. While that has changed, can't take anything away from what he did and how he did it. Throwing bounce passes that would travel 3/4 of the court, or passes that would perfectly miss the reach of the defense or how he just towered over other PGs and was able to play all the positions.

I think Magic was/is the best ever.  He won 5 nba championships during the highest competition era of the nba, the 80s.  Jordan won his in the 90s when it wasn't as tough due to expansion, early entries, and of course Magic, Bird, and Isiah's retirement.  There's a reason why Jordan was 0-6 wl vs Bird in the playoffs and didn't even make the finals in the 80s. The 80s was much tougher.  You can make a good argument for Magic, Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, or even Russell being the very best, but I think Magic was the best because he was the better all-around basketball player.  He wasn't just a scorer.  Above all, he was a winner and if your life was on a line to win a game, I think those of us who saw Magic would pick him over all other players.
JpnImg.com - lots of Japanese beauty, ad-free for your enjoyment

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
What. The. Fuck. I hope it's not a musical.

I gotta see this to believe it :lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
Magic TONITE! ESPN Films: The Announcement gootta DL

Dopeness. I remember time and place. kneeling in front of a tiny 13" black and white TV coming home from school, floored, like gut gutted into the gutter.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 09:44:42 AM »
Have y'all watched it? It's on Youtube. Just search for 'ESPN The Announcement Part 1'.

or here or here or here

Just...half way through. Really eye opening stuff. Like I knew the story of the life insurance, but to see it through the players eyes. Worthy, Malone - the harshest critic at t he time, Bird saying he didn't wanna play. Pat Riley being the guy to give him a swift kick in the ass. Magic really opened up to what AIDS means, educated the world.... all the while being uncertain of his own future.

So Pimp.

But this line got me. "At that moment I knew I had a chance, if she left, I woulda died I woulda never had a chance. I would never be here right now." on his wife COOKIE

WERD... Magic.

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 03:13:42 AM »
Magic Johnson and Larry Bird on David Letterman!

pimping their musical? OH lawlllllll

Offline Deadpool

• ecchi
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 06:05:25 AM »
Magic johnson alone made me a fan of basketball as a little kid. even though i watched him later on his career..finding videos and games of him in his prime was simply incredible.
Korean-American. twentyfour years old.

Offline neoscope

• Member+
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 06:16:38 AM »
lol,just found this thread  :w00t:

it seen a little bit strange
a thread of a living legend NBA like "magic" is not popular   :(

well,im remembering my father story when magic playing all the night @NBA
and im watching some of he video,well,magic is totally a legend
NBA MVP in ROOKIE YEAR?amazing
magic doesnt get rookie of the year,but he get NBA MVP of the Year

it was totally awesome!!

oh yeah,btw
tomorrow is his birthday,i know it so fast,but HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAGIC    :thumbsup

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hinouchi Emi - Trap