JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mika Nakashima - I Don`t Know (MICA 3 CHU)

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 550284 times)

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1120 on: July 10, 2009, 03:56:19 AM »
SAKIC RETIRES! CANUCK KILLER!!

Top 10 Joe Sakic Moments

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1121 on: July 10, 2009, 07:56:52 AM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1122 on: July 14, 2009, 10:44:54 PM »
LEMAIRE RETURNS FOR SECOND STINT AS DEVILS HEAD COACH

NEWARK, N.J. -- After six years without a Stanley Cup, the New Jersey Devils are handing over the team to the coach who led them to their first NHL title. Jacques Lemaire, who coached the Devils for five seasons in the mid 1990s and led them to the Cup in 1995, is New Jersey's coach again. He was hired on Monday, some five weeks after Brent Sutter resigned and eventually took over as coach of the Calgary Flames. "I never thought I would be back," the 63-year-old Lemaire said in a conference call. "I said at that time when I was leaving after five years, and it was five great years, I wanted to cherish this for the rest of my life and the rest of my career, but I never thought one day I would come back." The deal reunites Lemaire with general manager and president Lou Lamoriello and goaltender Martin Brodeur, the combination that turned that Devils from a contender to a champion in 1995.

"Jacques Lemaire is one of the most respected coaches in the game," Lamoriello said. "He is a teacher and a communicator, and knows what it takes to have success." The Devils also won Stanley Cups in 2000 and 2003, but they have not come close in recent years. They were eliminated in the opening round of the playoffs the past two seasons under Sutter. This season's ouster was stunning as New Jersey gave up two late goals in Game 7 of their series against the Carolina Hurricanes. "You look at the team last year, they were solid defensively, and offensively," Lemaire said of the team that won a franchise-record 51 games this past season. "That's the goal I want to have ... and to do as well as we can in the playoffs."

Contract terms were not disclosed but Lemaire said he intends to coach at least two seasons. Lemaire recently resigned as coach of the Minnesota Wild. He took over the expansion franchise in 2000 and led them to the playoffs three times. However, the injury-plagued Wild missed the playoffs this past season and Lemaire stepped down, saying he had taken them as far as he could. "Last year, right after the season, I never did close the door on coaching," Lemaire said. "I just said that my time in Minnesota is over and it's time to go on and do something else," Lemaire said. Watching the playoffs convinced Lemaire he still wanted to coach.

"I've heard a lot of ex-coaches say often that it is really hard to get out of this because we love the game and it is exciting and it's fun," Lemaire said. "Well, that's what I got watching the playoffs." Lemaire first talked with Lamoriello about the vacant job before the NHL draft in mid June and the two hammered out an agreement this past weekend. "When you've been coaching for 15 years, when you look at a team, you want to have a chance to win the Cup, there is no doubt about that," Lemaire said. "Especially in my situation, this would be a great thing to have a chance. Don't forget there are 30 teams saying the same thing. I want a chance to be part of this and if there is a chance I would love to get another one."

Lemaire has won 11 Stanley Cups as a player, coach and executive. He has a career coaching record of 538-415-176 in 14 seasons with Montreal, New Jersey and Minnesota. Lamoriello also announced that Mario Tremblay, who spent the past nine seasons as an assistant coach in Minnesota with Lemaire, will join the Devils' coaching staff. The team also retained assistant coach Tommy Albelin and goaltending coach Jacques Caron. Former Devils great Scott Stevens will also take a more active coaching role both with the team and their AHL affiliate, Lamoriello said.

In giving the job to Lemaire, Lamoriello passed over assistant coach John MacLean again. He was the leading contender when Sutter got the job two years ago. This time, MacLean was given the head coaching job at Lowell of the AHL. Kevin Dean will be his assistant coach and Chris Terreri will be the goaltending coach. "There is no question as to John MacLean's knowledge of the game," said Lamoriello. "This is the next step in his bright coaching career."
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284629

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1123 on: July 16, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1124 on: July 17, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »
Top 10 Funniest Hockey Goal Celebrations
Selänne & Fleury :thumbsup

Top Ten Hockey Bloopers
Ruutu owning Phaneuf is one of the funniest hockey moments ever :lol:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1125 on: July 19, 2009, 10:05:57 PM »
Turmoil at CIT could ripple through NHL

The financial turmoil at CIT Group Inc. could ripple into Canada, where the company has been an important lender to everything from hockey teams and road projects to hospital expansions. Shares of New York-based CIT Group plunged 12 per cent yesterday on the New York Stock Exchange amid growing concern the company won't be able to meet nearly $3-billion (U.S.) worth of coming debt payments and will have to file for Chapter 11 protection. CIT Group has about $75-billion in assets and specializes in loans to small and medium-sized businesses. It is also a major lender to several National Hockey League teams and made a push into Canada in 1999 through the acquisition of Toronto-based Newcourt Credit Group Inc. for $2.4-billion (Canadian).

Last year, CIT Group morphed into a bank holding company and received $2.3-billion (U.S.) under the Troubled Asset Relief Program. But that has not been enough to stem its liquidity problems. The company has been trying for months to access the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.'s Temporary Liquidity Guarantee Program, which allows cash-strapped companies to issue government-backed bonds to raise capital at lower costs. CIT Group said over the weekend that it is exploring other options as well but indicated that "there can be no assurance that any of CIT's discussions with the government will result in any regulatory action." U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said yesterday that he was monitoring the situation and there were reports the government might do something. But many analysts now expect a Chapter 11 filing.

"It looks as though the government has given its blessing to a Chapter 11 filing," said William Larkin, fixed-income portfolio manager at Cabot Money Management in Salem, Mass. "The alarm bell went off last week and now everyone is trying to jettison off the ship." A Chapter 11 filing could be bad news for many NHL teams. It has been an important lender to several, including the Ottawa Senators, Montreal Canadiens, New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators. CIT Group's troubles "are going to be horrible for [the NHL]," said a financial adviser to several sports teams who asked not to be identified because he works with hockey clubs. "When those [financings] come up for renewal I just don't know what happens."

Last year, CIT Group helped Alberta businessman Daryl Katz finance half his $200-million purchase of the Edmonton Oilers. In 2007, CIT Group arranged $130-million in financing for the Senators and Scotiabank Place and in 2006 it participated in part of the funding for a $350-million arena in New Jersey for the Devils. The company has also worked with the New Jersey Nets of the National Basketball Association and soccer's Manchester United. Much of the work has been led by Gordon Saint-Denis, a Montreal-native who runs CIT Group's sports division. Mr. Saint-Denis was unavailable for comment yesterday.

In Canada, CIT Group has been active in infrastructure projects, including building a ring road around Edmonton and expanding the Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie, Ont., and the Sault Area Hospital in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. Each hospital project costs about $400-million (Canadian). CIT Canada officials were unavailable for comment yesterday. Jane Cocking, a spokeswoman at the Royal Victoria Hospital, did not believe CIT Group's financial issues would affect construction that is already under way. "The cranes are operating," she said.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/turmoil-at-cit-could-ripple-through-nhl/article1217296/

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1126 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »
Boy this brings back memories.  Still not economically viable unfortunately, however people here want to think that it is.
TSN Announces Winnipeg Jets Are Leaving '95

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:21:55 PM by Masa »

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1128 on: August 04, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »
Report: Veteran defenseman Numminen retires

Tuesday, 08.04.2009 / 10:53 AM / 2009 NHL Offseason News

According to reports in Finland, veteran Buffalo Sabres defenseman Teppo Numminen is retiring after 20 NHL seasons. The 41-year-old defenseman was selected with the 29th pick of the 1986 Entry Draft and went on to play 1,372 regular-season games with the Winnipeg Jets, Phoenix Coyotes, Dallas Stars and Sabres. He scored 117 goals and 520 assists and scored an additional 9 goals and 14 assists in 82 Stanley Cup Playoff games. Last season Numminen skated in 57 games for the Sabres, after playing in only one game in 2007-08. A heart problem was discovered prior to the '07-08 season and Numminen missed the majority of the season after undergoing open-heart surgery.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=463414

Teppo's a true legend :bow:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1129 on: August 05, 2009, 03:52:24 AM »
^
One of the most beloved and respected players in Peg Sheety when the Jets were here.

Cheers Teppo. You've definitely earned the rest. :cheers

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1130 on: August 06, 2009, 11:14:21 AM »
Report: Sharks' Roenick to retire

Jeremy Roenick is hanging up his skates.

According to Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, Roenick will announce his retirement as an NHL player Thursday at a press conference in San Jose, where Roenick played for the Sharks the last two seasons. The Sharks have scheduled a press conference on Thursday at 11 a.m. PST, at which time Roenick is expected to announce his retirement. NHL Network will broadcast the press conference live beginning at 11 PST/2 ET.

The outspoken Roenick leaves with 513 career goals, only the third American to crack 500 NHL goals, and 703 assists in 1,363 regular-season games with the Chicago Blackhawks, Phoenix Coyotes, Philadelphia Flyers, Los Angeles Kings and Sharks. In the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Roenick scored 53 goals and 69 assists in 154 games with the Blackhawks, Coyotes, Flyers and Sharks. Roenick was a star on the Chicago team in 1991 that won the Presidents' Trophy and went to the Stanley Cup Final. He was also a key contributor on the Philadelphia team in 2004 that went to the Eastern Conference Final. He did not play on a Stanley Cup-winning team.

"I have been around for a long time and haven't won one and that's frustrating," Roenick told NHL.com prior to the 2009 playoffs. "It's nice to know people would be wishing me good faith and good luck in trying to get the Cup. That would make my career very, very complete knowing that I have that support behind me. So, yeah, I do wish for that. I do hope for that. It's very important to me. The fans are very important to me."

In June, while attending the 2009 NHL Awards, Roenick told NHL.com he was close to a final decision on his career. "I don't have a total decision but I am leaning a certain way," Roenick, 39, said. "My body is still in great shape," added Roenick. "The decision will be based on family and what (Sharks GM) Doug Wilson says." Roenick came out of a short-lived retirement two summers ago to join the Sharks because of his relationship with GM Doug Wilson and the hope he had for the team his buddy -- and former teammate in Chicago -- had built in San Jose.

Roenick doesn't think he would have come back to play for any other team. "I knew San Jose was one of the elite teams in the last five or six years and my agent and I attempted to get traded there a couple of times throughout my career knowing that Doug was there," Roenick said. "San Jose was always on my radar. My relationship with Doug is very special, so I don't think it could have happened anywhere else."

"All we did was give him the opportunity," Wilson told NHL.com. "He deserves all the credit for going and doing the work necessary to play in this League at this time. It's one thing to say you want to play, but to commit to it…You see how he plays with his passion. He's got skill, but he's got grit. He'll go around you. He'll go through you. He'll take a hit. He'll block a shot. I think that all relays to the fan in seeing a guy who truly loves to play the game."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=463425

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1131 on: August 09, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »
Fleury's trying to pull a Claude Lemieux? :huhuh

FLEURY ATTEMPTING NHL COMEBACK

Sources tell TSN Theoren Fleury is attempting a comeback and wants to play in the NHL again. After playing senior hockey last season, Fleury decided in February he was fit enough to give the NHL another try, so he hired a personal trainer and has been working diligently since. Those close to him say he didn't leave the National Hockey League the way he wanted, which is fueling his desire to return.

The 41-year-old has been sober for almost four years and has been skating daily in Calgary in the hope that an NHL team is willing to invite him to training camp. Interest in the former Stanley Cup champion won't be enough to clear the way for Fleury's return.  He remains under indefinite suspension and would first have to be approved by the NHL and the NHLPA's Substance Abuse program doctors before reinstatement would be considered.

Sources say Fleury recently sent NHL commissioner Gary Bettman a letter acknowledging his comeback bid and has also discussed the possibility with the league's doctors. The league has confirmed receiving the letter requesting reinstatement. At 5' 6,'' Fleury was one of the smallest players in hockey. Intense and fearless, Fleury made a name for himself for more than his stature. He could score, play defensively and led teams to championships in junior hockey, in the NHL and on the international stage.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287047

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1132 on: August 09, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »
HAWKS' KANE ARRESTED FOR ROBBING, ASSAULTING CAB DRIVER

Chicago Blackhawks forward Patrick Kane and his cousin were arrested early Sunday morning for assaulting and robbing a cab driver in Buffalo, according to several news sources in that city. According to a police report, the 20-year-old Kane and his cousin James M. Kane, 21, were arrested around 5am et after allegedly punching the cabbie after he said he did not have proper change for their trip fare.

The report says the cab fare was $13.80 and the Kanes handed the driver $15. He claims he had only $1 change and was not in possession of another twenty cents to give back. According to the police report, both Kanes took their money back and punched the cabbie in the face and head. Both men have been charged with second-degree robbery, fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services.

The NHL is working with the local police department in trying to assemble the details. Kane, a Buffalo native, had attended a press conference with the mayor to announce funding for a local rink earlier in the evening. WGRZ.com says the driver appeared to have suffered cuts to his face as well as damage to his glasses. Buffalo's WIVB is reporting that an attorney for the Kanes has entered a plea of not guilty in City court.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=287230

:thumbdown:

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1133 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
I wonder if this means that Kane's not gonna be on the 2K9 Hockey game anymore.  Dumbass.  Maybe Jonathan Toews' Winnipeg cheapness is rubbing off on him, lol.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1134 on: August 10, 2009, 08:37:06 PM »
20 cents XD

No wonder the Oilers got Khabibulin!! Chi-Town can't pay their players enuff!!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1135 on: August 22, 2009, 12:20:45 AM »
Grand jury dismisses felony charge against Kane

An Erie County, N.Y., grand jury dismissed the felony robbery charge against Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane and his cousin James, but indicted both on lesser charges. The indictments on assault in the third degree and theft of services are misdemeanors, and a harassment indictment is considered a violation-level offense. Patrick Kane met with reporters after the final on-ice session at the U.S. Olympic orientation camp in suburban Chicago, and he said he wasn't aware of the grand jury's decision on the charges.

"That's news to me to be honest with you, I haven't heard yet," he said. "I'll talk to my lawyer after this. If the felony's dropped, that's obviously a positive step, definitely." Patrick Kane, 20, and James Kane, 21, will be arraigned at 2 p.m. ET on Thursday. Both were arrested after an incident with 62-year-old cab driver Jan Radecki during the early-morning hours of Aug. 9 in Buffalo. Kane has avoided discussing the legal issues during the three days of camp activities, although he has made himself available to the media to discuss hockey issues.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=479944

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1136 on: August 27, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
Oilers get another assistant in Wayne Fleming. Who??

They need more veteran scoring! And Centres :banghead:

Edmonton Oilers fitness program

Can't wait for the Season to begin!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1137 on: August 27, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
Can't wait for the Season to begin!
And in a couple of months you can't wait for the season to end :lol:

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1138 on: August 27, 2009, 10:22:30 AM »
LOL!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1139 on: August 27, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »
FUCK YOU!!

Rangers gonna suck harder than MAria Ozawa.

Here's something for CMKei and Honger:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?bcid=30946

The Vancouver Canucks are pleased to offer one of a kind Canucks Fan Packs to fans across British Columbia and around the world! A fan pack consists of 4 player cards (chosen at random), a Canucks sticker and tattoo.

GET IT!!

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mika Nakashima - I Don`t Know (MICA 3 CHU)