JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Gospellers - Sweet

Author Topic: Official Toku thread (kamen rider/sentai)  (Read 723022 times)

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
Re: Official Toku thread (kamen rider/sentai)
« Reply #3320 on: September 25, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3321 on: October 04, 2017, 03:38:17 AM »
Wow. So many guys coming back.  :w00t:

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3322 on: November 23, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3324 on: December 23, 2017, 05:12:16 PM »

Offline Ruka Kikuchi

• Member+
  • Aspiring actress and writing for fun!
    • rukakikuchi
    • rukakikuchi
« Reply #3325 on: January 12, 2018, 09:56:25 PM »
The cast for Lupinranger VS Patoranger was revealed! I'm so hype that Duu is Lupin Yellow!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:heart: l Completed: Fire and Ice l Black Chocolate l My eternal blue rose l Dishonored l The Black Rose l Fruits of a Rose l Remnants l :heart:
:heart: l Dropped: Tentomu chu l REBORN l Bite me l NMB Gakuen l YumeToki l Cafe 48 l :heart: l Hiatus/Indefinite: Samurai l Blood Bonds l Night Wind's Deed l PRISM l Time Travelers l :heart:
:heart: l Collab threads: Sky&Ruka l Ruka&Michael l :heart:
 l Compilation thread: 48G New Gen l :heart:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #3326 on: February 13, 2018, 03:44:01 AM »
Kaitou Sentai Lupanranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Patoranger

A dream come tru for me, or at least as close as feasible. I have always wished for Morning Musume members to be Super Sentai members too. I always thought it would give Morning Musume a wider appeal if they had exposure in shows like this. Kudo's graduated but her graduation is recent enough to make the association. I know Kudo wants to be known more as an actress than an idol. Sorry Kudo, you will always be a Musume in my eyes.

Color coded members with distinct personalities following a strict choreography and poses??? It's like she never left Musume.

Anyway, I will try to review each episode, as much as my schedule will permit, every week. I will make comparisons and references with previous Super Sentai. Probably mostly with Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and Samurai Sentai Shinkenger as I watch (in the present tense) them the most. Those also represent a pretty broad spectrum of what a Super Sentai show can be.

As this is the first episode, this review will be more on the general feel of the show. Also, this particular post is bound to discuss the Lupanrangers more as there is greater focus on them in this episode. I think Patoranger will be given their proper introduction next Sunday.

Kairi – Red
Touma – Blue
Umika - Yellow

The costumes:
Regular burglar costumes: These are also color coded. They adopted stereotypical western European masquerade wear. Top hats, tail suits, a good use of lace for details. I’m not a fan of the masks but that’s just me. It’s very Kaito Kid.

Super Sentai suits:
I love color-on-black designs, like Shinkenger and Gokaiger. It looks very classy. Initially, I wasn’t a fan of the top hat visor but it has grown on me. I really love the use of visors to distinguish the members further.

Characters:
Kairi – While the look is a little off to me, the character is pretty good. I understand he needs to be slender for that phantom thief look but, he’s just too skinny for me. He reminds me of Gokaiger’s Marvelous in that he appears to not be very serious but is determined. He represents that confident and determined personality of a leader, a Super Sentai staple.
Touma – I think they nailed this one. The actor has the look of the cool, calm, collected and capable Blue, like Gokaiger’s Joe.
Umika – Gokaiger’s Luka plus. She sufficiently covers the sometimes-reliable-sometimes-airhead-girl.
Kogure – there’s something about this man…

Bistrot Jurer, the name of the restaurant where they work on their downtimes, translates to Bistro Promise. This promise, though not yet revealed to us, will play a significant part in this show.

Change device:
Their gun with their miniaturized vehicles/safe lock dials comprise their devices. They look very well put together.

Change sequence:
Good. Watch it.

The cold open:
Here we are given the general tone of this season: Comedy. There might be heavier themes later on but that is the tone of the show. The acting is exaggerated and campy but that is to be expected in a Super Sentai show.

Expect a lot of decadence and ostentatious displays of wealth as half of the show is about thieves stealing back stolen goods-- specifically, the Lupin Collection.

As expected: high quality production, very dynamic fight choreography. Parkour and acrobatics.

Like Kaito Kid and Lupin the III the thieves are playful with amazing reflexes and impeccable timing.

The part where Umika kicks a cup of darts and it hits the monsters was really cool.

The rest of the episode:
They’ve done a good job in introducing the Lupanrangers. Watch it.

Over Time does a fantastic job as usual in subbing this episode. Stay Tuned.

Offline tru_harmony

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #3327 on: February 20, 2018, 01:47:12 AM »
Catch this week’s Episode: #2 The Global Police in Pursuit, subbed by the awesome folks at Over Time

Some spoilers ahead.

This week’s episode starts right where we left off last week: The Lupinrangers (hereinafter referred to as Lupins) are interrupted from opening Garatto Natto’s safe and obtaining the decked out Zippo by the Global Police, who, surprise, surprise, Patrizes into the Patrangers! (hereinafter referred to as Patrols)

I like the Patrol’s “ties” flap as they Patrize. Subtle emphasis for people who don’t get the costume. It reminds me of Boukenger. Probably because of the shoulder pads. I am not a fan. The Lupins’ just look cleaner. And LupinYellow wears heels! In thief AND Super Sentai form. WTH. It’s not a problem with Duu though-- she’s done that  for some time with Morning Musume.

Couldn’t she have been LupinOrange???

A three-way fight ensues among the Sentai teams and the Ganglers, because of which Garatto Nato manages to escape.

Some complaints: How they filmed the fight scenes. I get that they want it to appear chaotic, with the Lupins doing a lot of flips and parkour, but Jesus Christ can you not use a hand held camera for this??? I like linear fight choreography and cinematography. Use rails, drones, anything, I don’t care. Just do it normally.

I also forgot to mention this last week: What the hell are those swords? I get they’re like those grabber things…? But they are so not in theme. Give them rapiers or sabres but like what are those? I get that rapiers might not be safe for toys, so just don’t give them swords. /complaint

The Lupins begin their escape by using their … planes? It reminds me of Kaitou Kid and his signature hanglider.

Wild CGI hot pursuit. I hoped the Lupins would try to avoid property damage, just so it would make them appear “less criminal” but then the Patrols wrecked a bridge so I guess, it’s all in a day’s work for the residents of this city.

From this chase scene: expect cool and serious from the Lupins and campy from the Patrols.

I’ll do a separate review of the theme song and opening card later.

We were brought back to Bistro Jurer to find out the personal motivations of the Lupins, and what the “promise” specifically is.

Theory:
There is something really ominous about Kogure. Doesn’t he seem to be the same height as that mysterious Gangler? What if he’s another Gangler who is using the Lupins to get rid of the other Gangler members, steal the entirety of the Lupin Collection, and take over the entire human world to become boss? Or his boss is, or something like that. I was wondering why Kai, Tou and Umika were not frozen like the others? Did Tou and Umika come late to their rendezvous? The mysterious Gangler was just in Kai and Umika’s vicinity. Were they intentionally spared???

I thought it was pretty dark. I was surprised because several of the last immediately preceding Sentai shows have been pretty light-hearted in general. I didn’t watch them a lot but the last really serious one I remember is Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, and maybe to a certain degree Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger also delved into dark themes occasionally.

Theory:
At the end, they will be told that only one person’s wish can be granted or something like that.

I like that they have a very clear motivation drawn out from the very start which isn’t something vague like get rid of evil or something like that. Again, it’s very Gokaiger. Because their goal and motivations have been revealed so early on, I don’t know if they would still do individual-Ranger-centric episodes. I feel like there isn’t much to show anymore.

Also, I forgot to mention this last week, I love how the Ganglers themselves are personally motivated to fuck shit up in the human world rather than just being obedient to the boss. It really goes into their nature, kills any possibility of altruism on their part, emphasizes greed as their essence.

They haven’t really highlighted the characters of the Patrols, except that Green/Sakuya is a panicky but lucky kouhai. I was hoping that it would go towards a Shinkengreen/Gokaigreen direction where the ranger wasn’t the best in formal fighting techniques but was very creative/innovative/resourceful. It just looked to me so far that it’s luck that normally saves him.

I don’t know how attached Patren#2 and #3 are to the word “promise” but Patren#1 is also roped in.

And yes, they finally got the fancy lighter.

Chubi-duu-ba-duu-bi. I’m not usually a fan of having some other monster revive the fallen monster and turn them into giants but I like how it was done here. The power is still from the Lupin Collection. Aaaaand, unlike Gokaiger’s Insaan who shoots beams from space, Goshu actually crosses… dimensions…? To do it. Also that music is fun.

I wonder how the Kaisers are going to work with just one Good Striker. He claimed he was a free agent so can he just come and go as he pleases?

I love the cockpit of the Lupin Kaiser and the individual ships. Shifting controls between plane-mode's motorcycle like controls and Kaiser-mode. Awesome possum.

The VS changer is so cool. I’m guessing it has tactical rails to attach the vehicles to.  I like these better than phone-changers because they are way more interactive as toys. They are not just changers, they are weapons, safe crackers and ship… resizers? I don’t need logic or physics for the mechs. Shinkenger did it with their Origami and Mojikara, I will accept “the power of the Lupin Collection.”

In all, we are still in the introductory phase of the show. It may appear a little slow but it’s good slow build. I know there are points I missed like the Patren Union. I will do a follow up on those later this week.

The episode ends with the Patrols entering Bistrot Jurer. How is this encounter going to turn out?!?!

NOTE: What is a good image hosting site? I uploaded my screenshots at imgur only to find out later that img src tags don't work there anymore. Photos were actually embedded in this week's review but you can't see them because the internet is great but sucks too.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #3328 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:06 AM »
NOTE: What is a good image hosting site? I uploaded my screenshots at imgur only to find out later that img src tags don't work there anymore. Photos were actually embedded in this week's review but you can't see them because the internet is great but sucks too.
If all else fails, you could always just use the JPH!P Picroda.

Offline tru_harmony

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #3329 on: February 28, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »

Episode 3: We Will Take Them Back No Matter What DL the episode with subtitles by the fantastic team at OverTime

I'll try to stay away from spoiling the plot and just try to focus on the technical aspects of the show.

Cold Open:
So far, episodes have ended in cliffhangers that lead into the next episode. This week's opened with the continuation of last week's.

Umika's interaction with the CGI Good Striker was pretty good:

Even with the toy Good Striker:

But I am not convinced of Keiichiro's acting.

My hand doesn't do that when I'm telling the attendant how many there are in my party.

Some hints towards sleight-of-hand theft:

Though I have to say, good "shocked" acting from the Lupins.

It could very well be just my bias but the Pato-ranger's Patrize sequence is just so tacky. It really feels like they were an after-thought.

This just bolsters the dorky-Japanese-police-officer-stereotype

But thank god the fight shots have calmed down compared to previous episodes.

Fluid, dynamic fight choreography:

The monster of the week didn't make a lot of sense to me though:
art forger ----> snail?!?!

My brain is really not cooperating with me with week. There really wasn't a lot for me to say about this episode. The revelation of their origin last episode rendered this episode's plot unnecessary. Nothing new.

I refuse to discuss Sakuya's crush on Umika.

I don't care. MaaDuu.

Offline AzDePe

• High Touch: Shining Strike, Kirakira!
    • azdepe
« Reply #3330 on: March 01, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
Kamen Rider Build RabbitRabbit & TankTank Form, they will debut in march  XD

Offline tru_harmony

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #3331 on: March 07, 2018, 03:57:55 AM »
If you haven't seen it, DL it here: Episode 4: Unacceptable Relationship
Where the awesome guys at Over Time have subbed it

Cold open:

Police car scene. This might be my bias but they’re acting their characters too hard.

Sealed room case. I’m surprised their sentai theme is police officers and not detectives. Sherlock Holmes vs. Arsene Lupin, I think would have been a more engaging concept. Like, they can have a heist reveal or deduction show every week. I think that’s part of my bias too. The phantom thieves are always bound to get the jump over the cops. That’s the whole point of the Arsene Lupin short stories.

Part A.

Loveroom Jaws’ human actor was so creepy. I also couldn’t get the connection between the shark and a human trafficker. Their concepts aren’t very tight this season.

Collection piece: What? I don’t get it.

Gangler mansion scene: I wish they had more of the monsters hanging around.

Bistro scene: Kudo’s acting was really good here. Good emoting. But kinda disconnected writing.

Part B

Police investigation scene: None of them noticed that there was the same stuffed toy in every place where the persons disappeared until the thieves told them.

Thieves tailing the cops: I don’t get what they intended here. Planting bugs, infiltrating the police ranks, having informants… maybe were other things they could have done. Or opening their bistro for business.

Tsukasa’s dilemma: I don’t get what they see in that shark stuffed toy. It’s not as cute as she says it is. Fantastic writing, IMO.

Part C

Prison escape: I don’t get why Loveroom didn’t even try to stop the people from escaping. He came from exactly where they were all going.

“Can you still put up a fight?”: Do people actually say that?

Part D

Why wasn’t Umika with the others trailing the police? Was she assigned to listen in on the news for developments? Shouldn’t they have tapped the police dispatch radio for reliable info?

The fight scene was a little more traditional, probably because it’s in the woods and there isn’t a lot of unobstructed room for all the fancy moves and less so for their filming equipment.

Lore error: the Patrens got out of Union form even if Good Striker was still mounted on the VS Changer.

Gauche is in heels too!

They’re really showing how fickle Good Striker can be, ejecting people whenever he wished.

I really don’t like the Patkaiser’s finishing move. It feels so… ordinary.

THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT KOGURE.

I like how they shot the last scene in the police station. Keiichiro’s actor is the best of that side. Although it annoys me sometimes how much he plays up the passionate police officer act, guy knows how to act.

I gave up on the screen shots.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3332 on: March 10, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »
I gave up on the screen shots.

I'll just put these here for.. ahem.. documenting purposes. :nervous

More on Okuyama Kazusa. Kinda wonder how she'd look in the show if they just kept her with just her normal short hair.
https://www.instagram.com/kazusa_okuyama_official/

And why is she number 3? Shouldn't the green kouhai be 3rd. That's not how things chronologically work. :banghead:

In other news. Wow. They got Hirose Satomi (Ninja Sentai Kakuranger) to come back and guest in the new Kyuuranger movie.
Tsuruhime!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/272955

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3333 on: June 12, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
Matsui Rena will be in the Build movie. :roll:

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3334 on: July 08, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
Lupinranger VS Patranger theme :D

Seeing it done solo gave a surprisingly different feel, which is cool too. :)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3337 on: August 07, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
First Kamen Rider Zi-O trailer

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3338 on: August 11, 2018, 04:53:59 AM »
@3:30
So Zi-O doesn't just summon in other KRs like Decade. He puts on armor with their designs, gaining their powers. That's actually pretty neat.  :roll:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #3339 on: August 16, 2018, 02:33:51 AM »
Found a YouTube channel that's hosting episodes from the GARO franchise. It doesn't quite have everything from the various series' as of now, but it's a good chunk to start off with (and the uploader has organized them into playlists for easier navigation).

Guard iElucy - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-inMf5iEabvObqKuFzzzw/playlists

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Gospellers - Sweet