JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Supercar - Recreation

Author Topic: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)  (Read 83958 times)

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)
« Reply #120 on: July 14, 2007, 02:33:03 PM »
I had a good laugh at the Kuniko and Aya meeting. Especially at the phone answering bit. It was shizzam worthy  :lol:
I was kind of expecting some sort of wrong number thing and/or Kuniko misinterpretting it all as being for her...

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2007, 07:38:24 AM »
That mistake on the phone is one of those moments where you want to smack your forehead, as rndmnwierd mentioned, and cry out "why?!"  Hahaha, that's why I enjoyed writing this chapter.  Just to lead up to that moment and then have everything come crashing to a stop.  If I could change one thing in this chapter, though, it would be the dialogue in last phone call.  I didn't like the wording or the flow.

To Kuniko's credit, at least she had the sense to keep quiet and not say anything that she couldn't take back later (although that would probably be surprise rather than reason making her react with silence).  I like her too much to let her slip down a path Kuniko the Lesser would follow.  It's necessary for Miki to have friends.  Otherwise, it's creepy.  Hah.

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
Now that you say it, I didn't like how Kuniko said she didn't know Miki had that kind of "association" with Aya. It sounds like she thinks gay couples can't have real relationships or something, but maybe she has her reasons for using that word... I still like her anyway.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2007, 01:02:09 PM »
Hahaha, I think she used that word because I like writing that word.  Nothing to do with her opinion on whether a relationship is valid or not.  Just my preference. :lol:

Offline Kei-Br

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kissing You Oh~ My Love
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »
i wanted to actually KILL Aya for letting Kuni-chan answer the phone... but then...that would end the fic in a way i don´t want it to end  :shakeit:
I don´t think Aya should get mad at Miki...it was her fault for letting another person aswer her phone when she probably knew that it was Miki calling...and that she was mad...and i should stop writing ^^
nice chap ^^

Offline black velvet

• Smut!Slut
  • Member+
  • yoonyul <3
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2007, 06:06:03 PM »
You should have dubbed that chapter an "Oh shit!" one. :banghead: Still, I got all giddy when Aya came in to visit Miki and then she and Kuniko started acting like identical twins. It was adorable, but Miki didn't like being their victim. If they hadn't been teasing her, I don't think she would have gone off like that, but we all know how much fun it is to tease your best friend.

And, although Kuniko was shocked about their true relationship, I think that she can easily string together why Miki had never told her. It's complicated to explain that kind of thing. Still, I think that Kuniko will grow more open-minded about it. I just see her becoming like Nakanoko or something.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2007, 08:41:58 PM »
And, although Kuniko was shocked about their true relationship, I think that she can easily string together why Miki had never told her. It's complicated to explain that kind of thing.
I would say that probably played a big part in why Kuniko ended up calling Miki at the end, Kuniko doesn't want to lose Miki's friendship just as Miki didn't want to lose Kuniko's friendship. She's a smart girl, and she must realize just how hard it was for Miki to be so evasive when she was bugging her so much to let her visit/come over and stuff.  Miki probably would have told her eventually, and Kuniko probably realizes that. 

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline nkca_

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »
That mistake on the phone is one of those moments where you want to smack your forehead, as rndmnwierd mentioned, and cry out "why?!"

I almost did scream why!!??!? when i read it, and it was not even happening to me¬¬....and then i felt kind of embarrased dunno why....anyway why would Aya let Kuniko answer the phone WHY?! is she insane? T_T yeah but i kind of like Kuniko and Miki was being extra stupid at the time i mean my friends use to hear everything i speak on the phone even when i don't let them answer it...yeah, i think kuniko will eventually be okay with it and feel more comfortable around Miki again so looking forward to your next chapter!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:57:56 PM by nkca_ »

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2007, 05:22:00 AM »
For some reason, I couldn't worry about Kuniko. Miki saying those things on the phone was a such a faux pas, but I didn't think it'd come along with terrible consequences.  ;) But it's just a matter of time before things get ugly, right? And not just because OTN1's the writer.  :lol:

Hasegawa is the perfect candidate for trouble, I'd say. I have no solid proof, but I think it's him because he's a shady, peripheral character.  Broken limbs, Avian influenza? As if!  XD   But if they did take place, then he must have caused them to happen somehow... :roll: Hey, he might as well be a private investigator or a freelance journalist!

But I better stop giving you ideas, I might get conked by the other forumers.  :rofl:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:29:43 AM by Amarghetta »

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2007, 07:51:57 AM »
I've answered my friends' phones for them before when they've asked me to because they're busy driving, etc., but nothing like this has ever happened.  I just gave my characters bad luck.  Hahaha!

Thanks for the idea, Amarghetta.  Maybe next chapter Hasegawa will fake his death and remain in hiding until chapter 28, when it's suddenly revealed that he works for Friday magazine and is preparing a special issue dedicated entirely to Miki and Aya. 

Hmm... actually, I'm starting to worry that what I have planned won't live up to anyone's expectations.  You're all expecting the Moon to explode and Earth to be colonised by Martians while Aya and Miki die leading the rebellion, but that's not quite what I have in mind for this one.

The next chapter is one of those boring transitional chapters.  I'm not finished writing it yet, but once it's done, I've got some things that I've been looking forward to writing for quite some time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:53:08 AM by OTN1 »

Offline Mikan

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »
Ah, well no I wasnt expecting that...Im all good with fate and destiny and it being some greater force's will to have this miserable in all their realities but if aliens and stuff like that are involved...then Im drawing the line.

Every time you mention the end and stuff I get all nervous and my palms go all clamy. Just..Just how bad is it? Gimme a hint. On a scale 1 - 10.
1 being the origanal series were they end all happy and 10 being Lovex2-1 where we discover that Aya died in a firey death and I ended up crying my eyes out for over an hour because it was so emotional...How bad is it gonna be?

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2007, 11:30:02 AM »
Sorry, but no hints.  Just don't get nervous and have no expectations!

I finished writing the "boring transitional chapter", but I had to split it into 2 uneven parts.  It was more fun to write than I expected.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2007, 11:34:47 AM »
Chapter 15

I woke up because someone was entering the apartment.  I rolled over and looked at the alarm clock.  It was almost five in the morning.  I rubbed my eyes sleepily and sat up, listening carefully.  I heard light footsteps going about the living room, a person putting things down quietly on the table.  The footsteps then headed towards the bedroom, and the door slid open to reveal a shadowy figure that could only be Aya.  She paused when she saw me sitting up.

"Hi.  Are you asleep?" she whispered.

"No," I croaked, clearing my throat afterwards.  "I'm awake."

She walked in closer to look at my face.

"Are you sure?"

I smirked and hit her head gently.

"I'm sure."

She had thought I was sleep-talking.

"Sorry for waking you up," she apologised as she moved off to the chest of drawers to get herself some pyjamas.

She started to change and I lay back down.

"It's okay.  Did you just finish recording?"

"Mmhmm," Aya said, pulling on an oversized pair of fluffy pink pyjama bottoms that made me laugh whenever I saw them.  "I got a drive home from one of the sound engineers.  He lives nearby."

I rolled over to face her.

"My Aya-chan in a car with an undoubtedly handsome and dashing sound engineer at such an hour," I grumbled.  "Is it wrong to feel a little jealous?"

She stopped, giving me a cool look.

"Yes," she sniffed, and then continued what she was doing.

I rolled onto my back and laughed sleepily.

"Joking, joking."

She finished putting on her pyjamas, leaving her clothes scattered on the floor (I made a mental note to tease her about that later), and then slipped under the covers, sitting and looking down at me.

"Besides, he wasn't handsome or dashing.  Kind of geeky."

I smirked and sat up again.

"I know it's not the best time of day to bring it up, and if you want to wait till later, that's fine, but you said you had to talk to me about something..." Aya said abruptly, trailing off, reminding me that I still had to tell her about what happened with Kuniko.

The curiosity must have been eating her alive all evening, I realised.  I took a few deep breaths, returning her look, and then without any melodramatic airs, I told her the simple story of what had happened right under her nose at the convenience store.

"... and so after she apologised, she said she wouldn't say anything to anyone."

"That's why you asked me to leave..." Aya mumbled, still stuck on the first half of the story.

She sounded like she could be angry.  I nodded carefully and watched her intently, wondering what her final verdict would be.

"Why didn't you tell me any of this before?"

So she had decided to be angry at me.

"I'm really sorry," I said calmly.  "I was a bit surprised, too, and I thought it was better if you left and I tried to talk to Kuniko by myself..."

I looked down at my hands and wished that time would speed up so we could whip through this talk.  I felt as bad as I had when I'd first arrived and had to tell Aya about what had happened with Hiroshi.  Everything was my fault again.

"I'm not mad at you," she said matter of factly.

I looked back up at her, and she smiled briefly.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah.  I was just wondering why, but it seems like a good enough reason."

She patted my hand.

"I'll give Kuniko the benefit of the doubt.  If you trust her, then I'll trust her.  Besides, I like her."

"Really?" I asked hopefully, and into the stillness of the early morning, Aya's soft laughter was like a beautiful sonata.

"Really," she confirmed.  "I wasn't just pretending to get along with her.  Besides, if I team up with her, we can really get under your skin, and you know how I love to do that."

I frowned.  Maybe this happy ending wasn't so happy.  Maybe it was for Aya and Kuniko, but not for me.  Not if I had to tolerate those two and their relentless teasing.

"Tell you what," I muttered.  "You and Kuniko go off, become best friends, and live happily ever after.  I'll go and live with monks on a Tibetan mountain peak."

She ignored my biting statement and laid herself down, pulling the blankets up to her chin.

"I think we should have her over."

I mimicked her actions and lay down.

"Who?  Kuni-chan?"

"No, the Crown Princess,"  Aya said, rolling her eyes.  "Of course Kuniko."

"Just before you walked in at the store, she was bugging me about wanting to come over.  I don't know if she still wants to, but if she does, then we should let her," I babbled.

There was a silence on Aya's end, and I looked at her to see if she'd fallen asleep.  Her eyes were still open, and she was looking up at the ceiling pensively.  She looked even more tired than I felt, so I squeezed her hand.  This caused her to turn her head to look at me.

"We'll make plans later.  Let's sleep now."

She smiled and nodded, closing her eyes as if she'd been waiting for my permission to enter Slumber Land.  I loosened my hold on her hand and closed my eyes, too.

"I'm sorry, Miki," she mumbled, forcing me to open my eyes.

"Why?" I asked in surprise.

"Because..." she muttered in a half-asleep tone.  "I went to bother you at work."

I chuckled.

"That just means I get to return the favour one day."

She smiled, her eyes closed.

"You can visit me any time."

And that was the last sentence spoken between us before we fell asleep.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2007, 01:43:28 PM »
Chapter 16

I woke up an hour and a half later to my alarm clock.  I raised my head feeling like I had been dead and was being revived slowly, the knife being pulled out of my gut rather than being pushed in.  Aya didn't stir as I hit the snooze button and let my head fall back onto my pillow.  Ten minutes later, my clock rang again, and I got up, muttering rude things about the alarm and its maker.

Aya remained dead, rolled on her side and facing away from me.  My hands hovered over her ribs for a few seconds as I considered shocking her awake, but I remembered that she hadn't even slept two hours yet.  I backed away slowly, grabbed the clothes and things I would need, and left the room, closing the door gently.  I got ready quietly in the living room, and then as a second though, I wrote a note saying good morning and reminding her innocently to pick up her clothes from the floor because I certainly wasn't going to do it for her.

I had to go into U-Con early.  At lunch break I would come back here to eat quickly and then go to 7-Eleven to do a long afternoon and evening shift.  Aya had something to do in the evening, and I might possibly not see her until the next day.

I opened the door to the bedroom quietly and crept in.  Aya was still facing away.  I studied her carefully.  She was absolutely still.  Too still.  Her torso wasn't moving at all like it should have been if she'd been alive.  I was suddenly gripped with an icy fear.  Was she even alive?  What if something had happened overnight and she'd stopped breathing while in her sleep?  Did I have enough time to save her?

Nervously, I put a hand on her back, and my legs weakened in relief when I felt a slow, steady beat.

"Don't scare me like that," I scolded her softly.

She made no effort to reply.  Of course not.  She was asleep.

I sat there for a few minutes, my hand on her back, watching her still body, waiting for it to move the slightest bit.  It didn't, and I shook my head in wonder.  Was this what I acted like when I was asleep?  Everyone told me I slept like a log.  Or at least I was stone still when I wasn't flailing about and having conversations with myself or fighting battles against particles in the air.

I checked my watch and saw that it was time to go.  Before that, I reset the alarm clock for nine.  That would leave Aya an hour and a half to get ready for her meeting.  For a few weeks in a row now we'd sat down on Sunday evening and talked about our schedules just so that we'd know when the other was going to be around.  It was a good idea.  This way we didn't have to keep asking each other questions like "What time do you have to wake up?" or "Will you be home tonight?"

Placing the alarm clock just out of arm's reach so that she'd be forced to get up to turn it off, I took a last look at the pink pyjama-clad girl and left after I'd committed the scene to memory.

I overslept on the train, waking up just as the doors were closing at my stop.  I had to double back, which meant once I got back to the proper station, I had to run all the way to the building so that I would be on time.  I rode the elevator up to my floor and walked out calmly to see Tsuyoshi with his head down on his desk.  He wasn't moving.  Was it Day of the Dead?  First Aya.  Now Tsuyoshi.

"Guchi!" I snapped at him, approaching the desk.

I heard him emit a low sound of acknowledgement.

"What's the matter with you?" I demanded.

He lifted his head up and looked at me with bloodshot eyes, making me take a step back.

"What in the..."

"I'm dead," he groaned

I peered into his eyes carefully.  They were completely red and they swam in his sockets, not focusing on one thing.  I looked at his cheeks, and they, too, were the colour of a tomato.  His hair looked windblown, and his clothes were dishevelled.  I began to form a picture in my mind of what had happened.

"Let me guess," I started, taking off my jacket and sitting in the chair beside him.  "You went out partying last night, missed your train home, maybe did some late night karaoke with the rest of your chums, and then spent the last few hours before trains re-opened at a love hotel with some girl whose name you don't know."

He shook his head, swallowed hard, and then gripped my wrist weakly.

"There was no love hotel," he wheezed out.

"Oh," I laughed.  "So you guys just did it in a parking lot?"

He tightened his hold on my wrist.

"There was no girl."

I gave him a sceptical look just to annoy him, but I had no reason not to believe him.

"We stayed up drinking until I caught a train home in the morning to change and then rush over here."

"So you're still drunk?" I asked amusedly.

He nodded.

"But I feel sick..."

I removed his hand from my wrist and moved away from him.

"Just warn me if you're about to purge your entire system of all that alcohol.  I'll get out of your way."

He went stark white, and I wondered if he felt sick because he was imagining the future I'd predicted for him or because that future had come.

The latter.

He bolted out of his chair and raced to the washroom as I winced.  I'd go and check on him in a few minutes.  There was nothing I could do for him at the moment.

I settled into my space and then took a trip out to the vending machines in the hallway.  I bought a couple of bottles of water and brought them back with me, opening one and drinking a quarter of it.  Ten minutes had passed and Tsuyoshi had still not emerged from the washroom.  I grabbed one of the bottles and headed over to the men's washroom, knocking loudly.

"Guchi!" I called out.  "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," came the delayed, weak response.  "Dandy."

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm coming in," I announced, waiting for a count of three and then pushing the door open.

Tsuyoshi was sitting and leaning against a wall, his knees pulled up to his chest.  He looked up at me when I walked in and tried to get up.

"Don't stand up.  Here," I said, handing him the bottle.

He took it with a grateful look and took a sip, almost gagging as he swallowed.

I wanted to lecture him about the idiocy of drinking until five in the morning on a work day, but I was sure it was the last thing he wanted to hear.  He could tell he'd made a big mistake.

"What did you drink?" I asked.

"Beer, shochu, wine," he mumbled pathetically.

I clucked my tongue at him, but said nothing about his mistake of mixing his alcohols.

"Will you be okay?"

He nodded.

"I think I got rid of most of it," he said with a grimace.

"Good.  Now wash up and come back to the desk.  I'm missing out on my Guchi time."

I started to walk out.

"Hey, Miki-chan," he called out.

It had taken a lot of work to get him to start calling me that, but I'd finally prevailed recently.

"Thank you for helping me."

He gave me a happy look that made me groan.

"Don't you start falling in love with me or something," I threatened him, and he grinned shyly.

"Ew, with you?  No way."

"What do you mean 'ew'?!" I demanded angrily.  "Ew?!  Do I inspire 'ew' in people?"

Little boyish (and still slightly drunk) Tsuyoshi giggled.

"No.  I was just kidding."

"Good.  But I wasn't.  Don't you dare get some stupid crush on me."

With that, I turned on my heels and stalked out of the men's washroom while smiling secretly to myself.

Katherine happened to be walking by when I stepped out, and she stopped, looking up at the "men's toilet" sign and then at me, raising an eyebrow and pulling one of her oh-so-Western expressions.

"Umm..." I said.

"I won't ask," she said.

"Tsuyoshi-kun's in there," I told her, which made her other eyebrow go up to join the first one.

"Okay, now I have to ask," she said with a naughty grin.

"Oh, but, no!" I said quickly to destroy any incorrect assumptions in her mind.  "He's not feeling well."

"Whatever.  A woman following a boy into the men's washroom whether he's sick or not is a sign of something."

"No.  I mean, he's really sick.  I was just making sure he was alive."

Damnit, Katherine.

"Be careful, sweetie.  He's six years younger than you.  Just remember that when you're ready for marriage and he's still out partying until all hours of the morning."

"Oh, for heaven's sake!" I cried out.  "The guy is like the family puppy.  I wouldn't look at him like that in a million years!"

Katherine smirked.

"I know, but I like seeing you get all incensed.  It's fun.  I'll catch up with you later."

With a jaunty wave, she continued going wherever she was headed.

Aya, Kuniko, Tsuyoshi, Katherine...  My "friends" all had at least one thing in common - they all liked to piss me off on purpose.  Did I attract that kind of person around me?  Or was it just that Tokyo only had either friendly people who liked to bug me or complete jerks like Hasegawa and Ohashi?  I went back to my desk pondering this question.

Tsuyoshi joined me a few minutes later, and I kept him distracted with chitchat, asking him nosey questions about his life and his family.  At ten-thirty, I received a message on my phone.  I thought it was Aya at first, but it turned out to be Katherine.

If you have time, can you come down here for a few minutes?

I made sure Tsuyoshi would be all right by himself, and I skipped down to the dance studio.

"What's up?" I asked, walking into the large practice room Katherine was sitting in. 

She was fiddling with a stereo, searching through tracks on a CD.  When she saw me, she stopped and picked up a pile of clothes beside her, tossing it to me.  I caught it reflexively, confused.

"Change into that and give me twenty minutes of your time."

It was an order.  Not a request.  I looked around for a change room of some sort, but I saw none.

"Miki, it's just me in here," she pointed out.  "Get changed quickly."

I shrugged coolly and got changed in the middle of the room while Katherine continued to search through her CD.  She finally settled on a track and a vaguely familiar song started playing as I walked up to her.

"Over there," she said, pointing to the centre of the room.

I followed her instructions.  I guess this was my test.  Would I fare better than Tsuyoshi?  Katherine turned the volume up and I frowned.  Why the hell was she playing a Morning Musume song?  Out of all the music out there, she had to choose that?  She couldn't have known I'd wanted to audition to join the silly group that was now defunct.  She also couldn't have known that I knew Aya, someone very much connected to that group.

"Dance," she commanded me.

I stood there awkwardly.

"Um..." I mumbled.  "I don't know this dance.  Or this song, really."

"You don't?" she asked.

"No," I laughed, gaining confidence.  "I might have seen the promo video once five or six years ago."

"For some reason I thought you'd be able to pick up on this one," she said, turning the volume down.  "What do you know?"

I shrugged.

"I don't know.  Nobody's ever taught me a dance before."

She looked at me in an exasperated way.

"Don't you even know one of those stupid and catchy boyband dances?  And please don't tell anyone I called them stupid."

I shrugged again.

"No."

Why was she assuming I had been trained before or that I memorised dances?

She sighed and changed the track to something I couldn't recognise, standing up and coming to stand in front of me.

"Then we've got to get you familiar with something.  Follow me."

And so for the next thirty minutes, Katherine taught me a dance.  We repeated everything over and over again, and I was grateful that I was wearing different clothes.  I began to sweat like a horse.  When half an hour was up, Katherine went to sit down, which I assumed meant it was break time.  I followed her, but she turned around and pointed to the centre of the room.

"No.  You're going to do it on your own now."

I sulked for a second, but turned around obediently and went to the centre of the room while Katherine sat down and started the music.  She counted me in, and I did what I had learned to the best of my ability.  I messed up a few times, but overall, I got all the steps.  I finished the short little excerpt and gave Katherine a look as she stopped the music.

"So?" I asked her, waiting for her evaluation.

"Not bad," she said honestly, standing up.  "Your rhythm went a little off in some parts.  You tend to rush.  Mmm.  But in general, you're smooth."

"Better than Tsuyoshi-kun?" I asked.

She laughed.

"Much better than the family puppy."

I smiled in relief.  I had passed.

"What would-" I started, but I was interrupted by a holler from the door.

"Fujimoto!" barked my boss.  "What are you doing down here?!  Tsuyoshi-kun is dying up there alone answering phones."

"I'm on my way, sir!" I cried out, rushing past him and back upstairs, completely forgetting to change my clothes.

Five minutes later, Katherine came upstairs, putting my clothes down on the desk in front of me as I was on the phone.  I mouthed an embarrassed "thank you" and changed as soon as the phone call was done.

Tsuyoshi and I kept busy all morning.  He went through phases where he felt perfect and then phrases where he felt crummy.  When I noticed him getting a little green, I'd distract him with conversation.  Lunch time rolled around.  Tsuyoshi was on a full day shift, so I said goodbye and told him to call me if he felt sick.

"I'll be working, too, but I'll keep you distracted with my brilliant conversation on the phone."

"Miki-chan," he whined.  "Can't you give me, like, one of your friends' numbers?  Don't you know anybody you can introduce me to?"

"What, I'm not good enough?" I glared at him.

"I want to date a real girl," he retorted.

My jaw dropped in horror, and I was about to hit him when I realised that doing so would not be very girlish and thus back up his statement.  I stuck my nose up in the air.

"See you later, runt."

I walked out, blocking out his protests.  Either I had to get a new set of friends or I had to move back to Hokkaido.

The afternoon was a little more low-key.  Nothing memorable happened except that I got an e-mail from Aya saying hi and thanks for setting the alarm that morning.

I worked with Shiroshita until four-thirty, and then with Asato, our store's baby at sixteen years old.  Her school had allowed her to get a part time job in order to supplement her family's low income.  She was a sweet and bright girl who inspired protective feelings in most of us at that store.  Working with her was pleasant because she didn't talk back, and she didn't like seeing me get riled up.  We didn't have a whole lot in common, but our conversations weren't riddled with awkward pauses.

Asato and I were supposed to finish our shifts at nine-thirty that evening.  At a quarter past nine, the first of our replacements arrived.  A minute after him, the second of our replacements arrived.  It was Kuniko.  When she saw me, she waved and then quickly went to get changed in the back.  She came back out and walked over to me.  I was fixing up some products on a messy shelf.

"Hi," she said.

"Hi.  Late night shift, huh?" I asked, wondering if our conversation was really going to be as awkward as it was shaping up to be.

"Only until one-thirty.  Koda-kun's coming to replace me."

"I see."

With business taken care of, there was nothing to do but either talk about something else or say goodbye.  Kuniko made no sign of moving off, so I took a deep breath.

"Can we just forget yesterday ever happened?" I asked.

"Why should we?  I mean, it was just an accident.  And hey, now I know.  You're spared the work of having to tell me."

It was perhaps the most mature thing she'd ever said to me.  I looked up at the ceiling and let out a few quiet laughs.

"Do you still want to come over?"

"Sure.  As long as you two aren't all icky and stuff.  I can't stand people like that."

I let out a jubilant cheer.

"Finally!  Something we agree on!"

Asato looked over at us, wondering what we were talking about.  Kuniko opened her big mouth to quell the young girl's curiosity.

"She's just excited because she totally scored last night with this cool foreign guy who-"

I grabbed Kuniko and covered her mouth my hand.

"And she's just a big liar!" I called out to Asato, who gave us a worried look and quickly bent her head down to study the counter.

I let go of Kuniko.

"You're such a brat," I sneered at her.

"Anyway, when can I come over?" she asked, ignoring my insults.

I sighed.

Kuniko will always be Kuniko.  There's nothing about me that could make her not act this way around me.

"I'll let you know when Aya-chan's free.  Now do you understand why I kept saying she's really busy?"

Kuniko nodded heartily.

"Yeah, sorry about that before.  I thought you were exaggerating.  But I know that idols have it rough.  I had a friend whose sister's cousin went out with a guy who knew Koda Kumi's sister."

As if that had anything to do with understanding an idol's life!

"Kuni-chan, that has nothing to do with-"

"And then I looked the word 'gullible' up in the dictionary and I saw a picture of you beside it."

I pushed her away from me and started to walk to the back room.  Aya was going to be home late and I was hungry.  I would cook something and then save her the leftovers.  If she'd had a bad day, at least that would cheer her up.

"Since you're here, take over for me.  I'm leaving a few minutes early," I announced.

"Oh, why?  Your precious Aya-chan's waiting for you?" Kuniko teased me.

"As a matter of fact, she's not," I huffed out.

"Then I'm sure you're going to go and cook a wonderful meal for her when she gets home all exhausted."

My shoulders stiffened and I refused to look back.

"No," I lied.  "I'm not."

"Whatever you say.  Have a nice night."

I could hear her voice dripping with suggestion.  I wanted to yell at her some more, but Asato was around, and I didn't want to give her the impression that I was a scary person.  I went to the back, changed out of my shirt, and grabbed my things.  Asato looked at me and then at her watch when she saw me leaving.

"Kuni-chan here offered to give me five minutes of time absolutely free," I said, winking at Kuniko.

"I didn't.  And don't you dare follow Fujimocchan's example.  She's a delinquent.  You're a good kid, Asato-chan," Kuniko butted in.

"Bye-bye, girls!" I said, not paying attention to her words and waving.

Asato returned the wave shakily, wondering who to side with.  Kuniko harrumphed and crossed her arms, but there was a certain softness in her eyes that assured me that she was enjoying herself.  I didn't know how she'd managed to transform her behaviour from shocked silence to brazen teasing over the course of twenty-four hours.  I walked out of the store telling myself that it was only a matter of time until Asato started treating me the way all my friends did.

I went to Aya's, cooked, ate, bathed, and tried to stay up as long as possible.  It was midnight and she hadn't come back yet, so I gave up waiting and went to bed, falling asleep quite quickly.

I woke up in the pitch black of the night and felt warm.  Something besides a blanket was wrapped around me.  Arms.  I turned my head and saw Aya sleeping right up against me.  I looked over at the clock.  Three in the morning.  I smiled and didn't wake her up to ask her if she'd eaten the dinner I'd made.  I let her rest.

Even if we couldn't see each other during the day, it was good enough to have those one or two hours when we could be together even in sleep.  We worked hard to earn moments like that.  I felt like she was working hard for me.  A part of me, too, was working hard for her.  Even when apart, we were still together in our minds.

Kuniko would kill me if she could hear my mushy thoughts.  I shook my mind free of such things, snuggled my head into the pillow, and closed my eyes with a satisfied sigh, feeling warm, feeling protected, feeling happy.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:53:59 PM by OTN1 »

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2007, 02:21:38 PM »
Gawd, the last few sentences were so sweet, I think three of my teeth fell out. But I love it.

Offline Mikan

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
Kuniko is going to be the death of them, isnt she!? Shes gonna slip up and force them apart by spreadind word to the media or do something more physically like drive her car through their apartment...whcih isnt possible...because they live on the fifth floor or something. The tension is killing me!! But Im enjoying the crazy sweetness as is.

Aya's reactions are a bit of a worry. Is she bottling up or is she genuine?

Gosh I need sleep..

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2007, 07:13:32 AM »
Hasegawa is the perfect candidate for trouble, I'd say. I have no solid proof, but I think it's him because he's a shady, peripheral character.  Broken limbs, Avian influenza? As if!  XD   But if they did take place, then he must have caused them to happen somehow...  :roll: Hey, he might as well be a private investigator or a freelance journalist!
* JFC prepares to conk Amarghetta.

Hmm... actually, I'm starting to worry that what I have planned won't live up to anyone's expectations.  You're all expecting the Moon to explode and Earth to be colonised by Martians while Aya and Miki die leading the rebellion, but that's not quite what I have in mind for this one.
If you want, you can just end it all with a bunch of romantic, AyaxMiki fluff. We'll just have to deal with it as best we can. :D

Chapter 15

"Hi.  Are you asleep?" she whispered.

"No," I croaked, clearing my throat afterwards.  "I'm awake."

She walked in closer to look at my face.

"Are you sure?"

I smirked and hit her head gently.

"I'm sure."

She had thought I was sleep-talking.
Wouldn't be too far of a stretch considering what Miki's capable of doing while she's sleeping. :P

"I know it's not the best time of day to bring it up, and if you want to wait till later, that's fine, but you said you had to talk to me about something..." Aya said abruptly, trailing off, reminding me that I still had to tell her about what happened with Kuniko.

The curiosity must have been eating her alive all evening, I realised.  I took a few deep breaths, returning her look, and then without any melodramatic airs, I told her the simple story of what had happened right under her nose at the convenience store.

"... and so after she apologised, she said she wouldn't say anything to anyone."

"That's why you asked me to leave..." Aya mumbled, still stuck on the first half of the story.
Aya must have been worried that Miki was upset with her for showing up so suddenly and then teaming up with Kuniko to tag-team-tease her. At least now it's all out in the open, as it should be. This is definitely something that Aya needed to know about, and it's something that she needed to hear from Miki herself instead of finding out about it second hand or from some tabloid.

"Why didn't you tell me any of this before?"

"I'm really sorry," I said calmly.  "I was a bit surprised, too, and I thought it was better if you left and I tried to talk to Kuniko by myself..."

"I'm not mad at you," she said matter of factly.

I looked back up at her, and she smiled briefly.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah.  I was just wondering why, but it seems like a good enough reason."
Aya knows that Miki's the type of person who'll want to fix the problems she causes herself. It's part of her strong, independant nature that Aya knows is within her.  She knows that Miki wanted to try and take care of this because she didn't want to needlessly worry Aya about it, which is just such a sweet gesture...that it's hard to get mad about.  :love:

"I'll give Kuniko the benefit of the doubt.  If you trust her, then I'll trust her.  Besides, I like her."

"I wasn't just pretending to get along with her.  Besides, if I team up with her, we can really get under your skin, and you know how I love to do that."

I frowned.  Maybe this happy ending wasn't so happy.  Maybe it was for Aya and Kuniko, but not for me.  Not if I had to tolerate those two and their relentless teasing.
Oh come on, we all know that it would be BIG time fun! ;D  Besides, if Miki has to endure all that teasing she could always get her "revenge", on Aya at least, later on in the night. :twisted:

"I think we should have her over."

I mimicked her actions and lay down.

"Who?  Kuni-chan?"

"No, the Crown Princess,"  Aya said, rolling her eyes.  "Of course Kuniko."

"Just before you walked in at the store, she was bugging me about wanting to come over.  I don't know if she still wants to, but if she does, then we should let her," I babbled.
Hmmm...Aya's reaction makes me wonder. Granted it could just be the fatigue of having worked so late, but it could almost sound like she was joking about inviting Kuniko over, and that she was expecting Miki to completely protest against it (if, for anything else, to avoid the teasing that she would have to endure). The fact that Miki basically said "yeah we should" seems to have caught Aya off-guard, like she didn't think Miki would actually go along with it. :O

"I'm sorry, Miki," she mumbled, forcing me to open my eyes.

"Why?" I asked in surprise.

"Because..." she muttered in a half-asleep tone.  "I went to bother you at work."

I chuckled.

"That just means I get to return the favour one day."

She smiled, her eyes closed.

"You can visit me any time."
And we all know what would happen THEN now, don't we? GAM SHALL LIVE!!! :rockon:

Chapter 16
For a few weeks in a row now we'd sat down on Sunday evening and talked about our schedules just so that we'd know when the other was going to be around.  It was a good idea.  This way we didn't have to keep asking each other questions like "What time do you have to wake up?" or "Will you be home tonight?"
Sensible. Practical. It gives them an idea of when and how much time they'll get to spend with each other.

I rode the elevator up to my floor and walked out calmly to see Tsuyoshi with his head down on his desk.  He wasn't moving.  Was it Day of the Dead?  First Aya.  Now Tsuyoshi.

"Guchi!" I snapped at him, approaching the desk.

He lifted his head up and looked at me with bloodshot eyes, making me take a step back.

"What in the..."

"I'm dead," he groaned
Ok, either he royally messed up a task he was supposed to do, and he's been unable to sleep because he's been stressing himself out of his mind over it...or he's got a killer hangover.  ;)

"Let me guess," I started, taking off my jacket and sitting in the chair beside him.  "You went out partying last night, missed your train home, maybe did some late night karaoke with the rest of your chums, and then spent the last few hours before trains re-opened at a love hotel with some girl whose name you don't know."

He shook his head, swallowed hard, and then gripped my wrist weakly.

"There was no love hotel," he wheezed out.
Ok, but Miki got the rest of it right, right?  :grin:

"There was no girl."
He better not say "It was a guy".  :rofl:

"We stayed up drinking until I caught a train home in the morning to change and then rush over here."

"So you're still drunk?" I asked amusedly.

He nodded.
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood job there kiddo. :thumbsup

"Hey, Miki-chan," he called out.

It had taken a lot of work to get him to start calling me that, but I'd finally prevailed recently.

"Thank you for helping me."
Heh, no wonder in WNTBD, he worshipped Miki like she was his older sister. Who else but her would take care of him like this here at work? :hee:

"Don't you start falling in love with me or something," I threatened him, and he grinned shyly.

"Ew, with you?  No way."

"What do you mean 'ew'?!" I demanded angrily.  "Ew?!  Do I inspire 'ew' in people?"

Little boyish (and still slightly drunk) Tsuyoshi giggled.

"No.  I was just kidding."
Of course he was. To not love Miki? Un-possible. :yep:

Katherine happened to be walking by when I stepped out, and she stopped, looking up at the "men's toilet" sign and then at me, raising an eyebrow and pulling one of her oh-so-Western expressions.

"Umm..." I said.

"I won't ask," she said.

"Tsuyoshi-kun's in there," I told her, which made her other eyebrow go up to join the first one.

"Okay, now I have to ask," she said with a naughty grin.
Katherine wants the juicy details; though in reality, she probably knows that it's really just something innocent (or at the very least, not something pervvy).

"Oh, for heaven's sake!" I cried out.  "The guy is like the family puppy.  I wouldn't look at him like that in a million years!"

Katherine smirked.

"I know, but I like seeing you get all incensed.  It's fun.  I'll catch up with you later."

With a jaunty wave, she continued going wherever she was headed.
EVERYBODY ON THE "I LOVE TO TEASE MIKI" BANDWAGON!!!  :on lol:

At ten-thirty, I received a message on my phone.  I thought it was Aya at first, but it turned out to be Katherine.

If you have time, can you come down here for a few minutes?

I made sure Tsuyoshi would be all right by himself, and I skipped down to the dance studio.

"What's up?" I asked, walking into the large practice room Katherine was sitting in.

She was fiddling with a stereo, searching through tracks on a CD.  When she saw me, she stopped and picked up a pile of clothes beside her, tossing it to me.  I caught it reflexively, confused.

"Change into that and give me twenty minutes of your time."
Now we see if Katherine's instinct's were right about Miki. :)

Katherine turned the volume up and I frowned.  Why the hell was she playing a Morning Musume song?  Out of all the music out there, she had to choose that?  She couldn't have known I'd wanted to audition to join the silly group that was now defunct.  She also couldn't have known that I knew Aya, someone very much connected to that group.
Oh the delicious irony of it all (though it sucks to hear that MM is actually confirmed as being defunct here).

"Miki-chan," he whined.  "Can't you give me, like, one of your friends' numbers?  Don't you know anybody you can introduce me to?"

"What, I'm not good enough?" I glared at him.

"I want to date a real girl," he retorted.
What Tsuyoshi MEANT to say was "Of course you're good enough, but I know that I don't deserve a goddess like you." :pimp:

:w00t: Hey, she should introduce him to Kuniko-chan (Kuniko The Greater/Kuniko from 7-11, NOT the bitch Kuniko that works at U-Con).

It was Kuniko. 

"Hi," she said.

Kuniko made no sign of moving off, so I took a deep breath.

"Can we just forget yesterday ever happened?" I asked.

"Why should we?  I mean, it was just an accident.  And hey, now I know.  You're spared the work of having to tell me."
She DOES have a point there. Now that she knows, Miki can relax and not worry herself so much about it.

"Do you still want to come over?"

"Sure.  As long as you two aren't all icky and stuff.  I can't stand people like that."

I let out a jubilant cheer.

"Finally!  Something we agree on!"
Well, it depends on your definition of "icky" now, doesn't it?  If it's "Aya-icky", then it means all the romantic, mushy, googly-eyed stuff that Miki SAYS she hates, but deep inside probably loves just as much as Aya.   :roll:

If it's "Miki-icky"...well...Kuniko heard that first-hand when she answered Aya's phone. XD

Now do you understand why I kept saying she's really busy?"

Kuniko nodded heartily.

"Yeah, sorry about that before.  I thought you were exaggerating.  But I know that idols have it rough.  I had a friend whose sister's cousin went out with a guy who knew Koda Kumi's sister."

As if that had anything to do with understanding an idol's life!

"Kuni-chan, that has nothing to do with-"

"And then I looked the word 'gullible' up in the dictionary and I saw a picture of you beside it."
BOOYAH! Score another one for Kuniko! :wahaha:

Even if we couldn't see each other during the day, it was good enough to have those one or two hours when we could be together even in sleep.  We worked hard to earn moments like that.  I felt like she was working hard for me.  A part of me, too, was working hard for her.  Even when apart, we were still together in our minds.

Kuniko would kill me if she could hear my mushy thoughts.
Told ya Miki loves the mushy stuff, even if she won't admit it.   :wriggly:

Gosh I need sleep..
* JFC looks at clock (2:00 AM) :dizzy:.

Sleep is good.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2007, 01:18:58 AM »
Hasegawa is the perfect candidate for trouble, I'd say. I have no solid proof, but I think it's him because he's a shady, peripheral character.  Broken limbs, Avian influenza? As if!  XD   But if they did take place, then he must have caused them to happen somehow...  :roll: Hey, he might as well be a private investigator or a freelance journalist!
* JFC prepares to conk Amarghetta.

Ok, time to get myself a helmet!  XD

ETA: Hey, OTN1, will Sayu show up in this fic?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:27:55 AM by Amarghetta »

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:22 AM »
Gawd, the last few sentences were so sweet, I think three of my teeth fell out. But I love it.
You still have teeth left?  I lost all mine a while ago.
If you want, you can just end it all with a bunch of romantic, AyaxMiki fluff. We'll just have to deal with it as best we can. :D
Sorry, but rndmnwierd's running low on teeth.

Amarghetta, I wasn't really planning on it, but I like to leave my doors open, so if an opportunity presents itself (like if Miki needs even more people to harass and tease her), then I'll throw her into the mix.

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2007, 11:34:27 AM »
Sayu teasing Miki = Hell freezes over, that would be equal to the Moon exploding and Earth being colonised by Martians. I do see Sayu as a convenience store employee, though.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Supercar - Recreation