JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Back Horn - 8gatsu no Himitsu

Author Topic: Perfect Dark  (Read 33512 times)

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
Perfect Dark
« on: October 31, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »
Perfect Dark is a Japanese P2P software i've been using for a while.

And in the spirit of sharing I decided to make my own guide (which makes it - obviously - better than the other ambiguously worded stuff out there) to it, and hopefully help some guys out who've been wanting to try Japanese P2P but have been confused by the intricate workings of Share/Winny. Perfect Dark uses similar concepts to that of Share/Winny, but with some improvements.

First, you need to download the program. Click on the link that says Ver. 1.06, and you should then be prompted to save a .zip file. Save it anywhere you want, but to make it easier on yourself, just save it to where ever you want your unity/download folders to be. I find that it stops it from getting really confusing when everything is in one place. In the zip is a file named perfect dark.exe; it will populate the folder with various files when you start it.

Typical license agreement in English. No more locale files needed. You should then be greeted by a popup telling you to choose the appropriate connection. So just select your connection from the dropdown box, and enter your port information (about which Port Forward has plenty of information on). You can set Language to English, if you want. Doesn't really matter, as long as you remember where it is for when you accidentally switch it.

Next tab. Bandwidth settings. This is pretty self-explanatory, really. An improvement over its predecessors, where you couldn't stop it from maximising your upstream and killing your internet.

The others tab. Exciting stuff. This is where you get to give yourself a tripcode, enable mutagen editing and limit the unity size. For Share users, unity is PD's equivalent of the cache. It would be prudent to set a limit for this, lest you start filling up your HDD with stuff you don't even want. The maximum might change depending on how much you want to download at once. I have mine set to 150gb, and haven't really had problems. The unity will keep clearing itself as it goes over the limit.

This window appears when you click 'edit sign'. This is basically to give yourself a tripcode to identify yourself amongst the countless anonymi on PD. Simply enter your username, then your password. Then it will generate your code for you. Your uploads will be tagged with it.

As soon as you close the window, out pops out another one. This is basically where you copy your nodelist into. The nodelist is a list of peers you can connect to. Only an initial copy is needed, after which the list populates itself. You can get a sizeable nodelist here. Just copy/paste the addresses into the textbox, and you're off.

Your setup is now done. If you did the port forwarding right, the top right corner of the PD screen should now change from 'Perfect Dark is offline' to 'Perfect Dark is online'. If you see this, you're set. If you've ever set up Share, you'd realize that you didn't set an upload folder for PD. That's because you don't need to. That's right, no more scanning of a million, no more cluster words to find the DVD you always wanted. The downside however, is that you need some (read: a few GB) of unity before the program will put your selected downloads on priority. So go ahead, do a search and queue some stuff up. Just leave it running for a bit.

The cool thing is you can search inside a search, so you can refine them and get what you really want without having to scroll through a bunch of results. The program also has a built in rating system, which allows you to rate files as well as allow you to see which files are fakes/corrupted. Remember, don't rate anything bad unless it's corrupted or fake. It's not for low quality files.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 08:10:21 PM by maliciel »

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
Re: Perfect Dark
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
Now, if you think a few GBs of unity will take forever, another option is to upload a file instead. As discovered by Amplifier, this adds to your unity count as well, and provides another way for you to fill it up. Simply click the 'upload file' button..

Then, just add the files you want. You can put in some keywords, as well as the option to sign it. This works well if you have a lot of extra upstream and just want to get downloading faster. Remember mutagen? That one button. If you click that, it'll tell you it won't overwrite anything. But since it's the first time you're clicking it, that doesn't matter anyway. Mutagen is basically a way to cosmetically alter your PD, or solve any UI bugs. In particular, I encountered a problem where everything was too small for me to read. This can be solved by editing the mutagen file 'visual.txt'. Ie \path\to\pd\mutagen\visual.txt

Edit Eye font and Eye font size, to change it, in case you ran into the same problem I did.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:15:20 PM by maliciel »

Offline rebornsoul

• Member+
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »
thanks for this, will consider using it

Offline ixobelle

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:12:13 PM »
registered just to say thanks. getting some japanese dramas for the wife using PD now ;)

Offline atskv9

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:16:42 AM »
Thanks mal. Building up some unity right now. Is it supposed take to this long? Considering uploading some of my files...

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »
It can take a little while to get your Unity up in size. Running overnight I usually gain about 5-6GB (uncapped transfer speed).

Offline atskv9

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:22:16 AM »
I was capping my bandwidth at 100 but I now realize that was a mistake as I'm now building it up faster. Rofl I had been running it for like two days and had only amassed this:

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:28:17 AM »
That looks a bit strange, for the total received -> Unity size. You should have a decent size Unity by now. I'd try raising the cap first. Failing that, I'd re-download it and start over fresh.

Offline atskv9

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:39 AM »
It's working now. I set it to unlimited and now I'm at about 950MB unity :thumbup

Offline nimrod

• RihoLicious!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • BABYMETAL DEATH!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
Why is my unity size not building up ?  :bleed eyes:

りほ, りほ Password is りほ  ♪

がんばれいな!- twitter - last.fm - DVD Profiler - tumblr

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 08:00:42 AM »
How long have you had it on? Did you limit your bw? Tried uploading a file?

Offline nimrod

• RihoLicious!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • BABYMETAL DEATH!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »
Maybe 1 day or more of seeding, BW was unlimited but the Unity size didnt improved

dunoo, I only added my H!P Folder for upload
りほ, りほ Password is りほ  ♪

Offline nimrod

• RihoLicious!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • BABYMETAL DEATH!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 02:33:16 AM »
I dont know why but PD cant use the port now, but I've opened this port  :?

りほ, りほ Password is りほ  ♪

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »
Did you check if the port was actually open? Did you add an exception to your software firewall (if you use one)?

Offline nimrod

• RihoLicious!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • BABYMETAL DEATH!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 04:51:35 PM »
Yes (see screenshot), yes and yes  :wth
りほ, りほ Password is りほ  ♪

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
Did you add some nodes like I had said in Ajax? -> http://p2p-db.net/dark.txt

Copy the list from the link into the box as shown in the picture, then click the red-circled button. Outside of that, then there's some other problem with your settings and/or system software/hardware.

Offline nimrod

• RihoLicious!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • BABYMETAL DEATH!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 03:13:47 AM »
Im sure that I added this text in the box, but now I dont know where the box is hidden   :?

Its sending data very slow, but that doesnt help
りほ, りほ Password is りほ  ♪

Offline orac

• SNSD Jessica for life
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:55 AM »
Mehl, my 25GB of unity has disappeared, hmmm, think I remember others mentioning this in IRC before.

Offline JTomare

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 02:58:53 AM »
The site that hosts the page with all the nodes is down. Use this page instead; I'm not sure if it has all the nodes that the old page had (since I actually just set up PD right now with those nodes) but I'm sure this is the best bet.

Offline RuSeeder

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »
I find perfect dark russian hash collection http://perfectdark.org  :welcome

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Back Horn - 8gatsu no Himitsu