JPHiP Radio (33/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Zazen Boys - Kimochi

Author Topic: The Boss Fight Thread  (Read 12518 times)

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
Re: The Boss Fight Thread
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 07:00:37 AM »
As Final Fantasy games have taught me, any boss that you face without some serious grinding beforehand can be a tough boss. The last time I played FFX (more than two years ago), I faced Maester Seymour atop Mt. Gigazet. His health was a tiny 10 or so thousand and in my head I was all, "Okay... This seems a little too easy, but let's run with it!!" So I did that, almost killing him with the first round of attacks. Then he goes and kills my party in one go. I was just trying to make sense of how something so good went so badly that fast. After that, I went to do some grinding for about an hour and a half before turning off my PS2 for the day. I haven't played FFX since. I plan on finishing it in November, if I have the patience. I might play Zelda: The Ocarina of Time instead though, as I have yet to finish that.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 12:40:06 PM »
The Souls games (Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2) represents some of the best boss battles around. Not only do they look cool and have some amazing soundtracks but they epitomise what a good boss fight is about. About taking on larger than life foes, probably stronger than you, but you show the perseverance, the patience and skill to overcome them. I'm playing the Dark Souls 2 DLC for example and one of the boss fights is against Sir Alonne, a samurai inspired boss who is quick and very tough. It's all about timing, exploiting his weaknesses when he shows them, otherwise you won't survive. As I fought him and chipped away at his health I got into a state of zen like concentration that I was relying on instinct alone. It no longer becomes a case of player vs AI but a proper duel, a dance of death as swords clash against the sunset until only one remains.

Dark Souls is pretty good.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2016, 11:49:51 PM »
Been a while but there are two games I've played since my last post that immediately come to mind:

- Bloodborne's bosses encapsulate everything you love in a boss fight. Challenging, amazing visual design and memorable music. Most (but not all) boss fights in Bloodborne feel like they would be the final boss in any other game. My favourite is from the DLC, against Ludwig. You know about him through the lore in the main game but never see him until now and it's a surprise to see him as this malformed beast. But then midway through, a cutscene plays and Ludwig's humanity takes over. He claims his famed sword in one hand, the music begins to change and swell and suddenly the beast becomes the hunter. Such a cool moment, I get chills everytime I see it.

- Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance has boss fights that are so over the top they're immediately memorable. How many games let you fight a robot dog with a chainsaw for a tail? Or a man who can detach his limbs at will and use them against you? To say any more would spoil it so here's the very first boss fight against Metal Gear Ray. What's great about the boss fights, that Platinum Games does so well, is it's use of music. MGR's soundtrack is made of this techno metal that's fine on it's own but when combined with the game, it really stands out. Just when a really cool moment is about to happen in the boss, they kick in the power vocals to the song, getting the adrenaline pumping further. RULES OF NATUREEEEEEEE!

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 02:56:50 AM »
All of the Resident Evil Revelations 2 bosses so far kind of suck D:

...and are annoying jerks!

JPHiP Radio (33/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Zazen Boys - Kimochi