JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Cune - Tokyo

Author Topic: The Geek Post Whore (for the ones who miss out irl)  (Read 170867 times)

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
Re: The Geek Post Whore (for the ones who miss out irl)
« Reply #760 on: August 25, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
my coworkers and i are playing m:tg using the octgn client. cards these days are freaking expensive and this is a pretty neat alternative

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
Control-Atl-Delete was a mistake: Bill Gates
09/26/2013

You know those three keys that you use to un-freeze a Windows computer? Control-Alt-Delete?

Yeah. Thought so. Especially useful when Internet Explorer locks up, or Word won't respond. Usually leads to the BSOD.

Well, the guy behind Microsoft says it was a mistake.

Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates was at a Harvard fundraising campaign, where he admitted that the three-key combination could just have been one button on a keyboard.

What prevented such simplicity?
IBM.

"We could have had a single button, but the guy who did the IBM keyboard design didn't wanna give us our single button, and so we programmed at a low level... it was a mistake” Gates frankly said at a Harvard fundraising campaign.

The specific problem at IBM stemmed from an engineer that worked on the first IBM PC, David Bradley, who has his own defence about the matter. Bradley admits that he invented the Control-Alt-Delete combination, but it was Bill Gates who made it famous.

The Control-Alt-Delete combination is such a well-known fact of life with Windows, you can get everything from drinking cups to t-shirts with the three-finger salute. 
- Maurice Cacho, MSN Tech & Gadgets
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.geektown.ca/2013/09/control-atl-delete-was-a-mistake-bill-gates.html

Here's a video of the fundraising thing where he apparently said it. It's just under an hour in length and I do not know the specific point at which he's supposed to have said it.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #762 on: September 29, 2013, 08:00:51 AM »
^ Ha, a single button for such a action (under DOS it immediately rebooted your system!) would require a protective cover or something to prevent accidental use.
Having a low-level officially not interceptable keystroke combination for security is not a bad thing. To log-on you always pressed it to make sure you had a login-screen instead of a fake picture thrown on the screen by some virus/Trojan.

And for some reason I have never used it to unfreeze IE or Word a.f.a.i.k., although I have used it to start the task manager to kill full-screen not behaving programs.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #763 on: September 30, 2013, 10:39:19 PM »
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang. Just going to post the thumbnail for this one. Huge pic is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!! :shocked

ORIGINALLY FROM HERE - http://www.geek.com/news/incredible-comparison-chart-lists-almost-every-sci-fi-starship-in-one-image-1572157/

Offline superbunny3

• ecchi
« Reply #764 on: October 10, 2013, 06:53:21 AM »
I agree, I like ctrl+alt+del the way it is. I don't think making it easier to access that panel with critical controls would be a good idea. But then again, maybe I'm just too used to it. :wth

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #765 on: October 12, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #766 on: October 13, 2013, 02:41:07 AM »

Offline screwed89

« Reply #767 on: October 13, 2013, 04:39:44 AM »
 wow :cow:

Offline superbunny3

• ecchi
« Reply #768 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:07 AM »
That map is pretty cool. Lol @ Canada.
That's what happens when you have only 3.41 habitant by km^2.
Pretty far from China's 139.6  :shocked

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #769 on: December 19, 2013, 04:37:42 AM »
February 26, 1995: some grump on Newsweek disparages The Internet and online culture in general: http://www.newsweek.com/clifford-stoll-why-web-wont-be-nirvana-185306

Anticipating future trends -- much less predicting them -- is a rough game.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Keurig Will Use DRM In New Coffee Maker To Lock Out Refill Market
« Reply #770 on: March 03, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »
DRM in a coffee maker?!! http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140227/06521826371/keurig-will-use-drm-new-coffee-maker-to-lock-out-refill-market.shtml

I always found the Keurig system supremely overrated/overhyped. Now its true colors come out, like toxic smog...

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: Keurig Will Use DRM In New Coffee Maker To Lock Out Refill Market
« Reply #771 on: March 04, 2014, 01:21:11 AM »
DRM in a coffee maker?!! http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140227/06521826371/keurig-will-use-drm-new-coffee-maker-to-lock-out-refill-market.shtml

I always found the Keurig system supremely overrated/overhyped. Now its true colors come out, like toxic smog...

Well when it first came out it was something innovational but now it has become part of the mainstream and with anything mainstream you need knockoffs to get people buy into it.  Now with the DRM, it will only solidfy the market that they should have won over no matter what.  I'll buy a keurig now and use my refillable pods for the fact that it will be gift to my mother XD
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #772 on: March 22, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #773 on: March 26, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
Twitter just rolled out a more "social" photo feature:

We’re rolling out two new mobile features that make photos on Twitter more social. One is photo tagging, which lets you tag the people in your photo; the other is the ability to include up to four photos in a Tweet.
http://blog.twitter.com/2014/photos-just-got-more-social

Heads up about the tagging - yes, they have somehow decided do copy facebook on this, the new tagging feature is OPT OUT rather than OPT IN. You find the new settings under Security and Privacy.

BEING ABLE TO POST MORE THAN ONE PICTURE PER TWEET, THOUGH. OMG. LET THE GLORIOUS PICTURE TWEETING BEGIN!

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #774 on: April 16, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #775 on: April 16, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »
^
The little girl in the yellow outfit is completely adorbs.
:)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #776 on: July 13, 2014, 10:32:06 PM »

XD

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #777 on: September 04, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
Mind = blown.

XD

Offline etranger01

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • alpha to omega & lambda for mame
« Reply #778 on: September 28, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »
aren't the geeks the ppl who ONLY LOOK like they're nerds? i dunno....hope this is not too nerdy...

maybe some of you are interested in space flight? to be honest: i don't think you are, but 'you never know'...
if you are, check this: http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/index.html
this is the real shit, so don't look any further!

i spend a lot of time years ago on that. still i can handle the basics, but many knowledge is forgotten...
a few months ago i tried an own mission-task, wich was to get morning musume to a moonbase for a concert.

every aspect of that mission worked out well in training scenarios, except of calculating a good trajectory to the moon for TLI from an 7000km altitude circular orbit. i might give it a try in the future again...

mission steps were:

1. delta glider with 4 passenger seats and cargo load from cape canaveral to a fictive giant transporter waiting at near equatorial orbit.
unload 4 momusu members and cargo, undock, reentry, landing at CC refuel & new cargo & new members (repeat this step until you got all kameis and gakis etc aboard the transporter.

2. perform trans-lunar-injection with the transporter when all members are aboard.

3. mid course correction maneuvre to reach desired inclination and perigee altitude.

4. when at perigee burn retrograde for a circular moon orbit.

5. take a delta glider, previously docked at the transporters bay to place a landing-signal-beacon for the transporter

6. let the transporter perform automated landing

7. unload momusu at the base to perform a concert. play your fave tracks....

8. get back to earth, land the members safely at cape canaveral via delta glider (transporter is NOT designd for atmospheric flights!)

!: takes abot a week or so....all worked in my training scenarios but a didi not manage to compute a TLI from a 7000km earth orbit. dunno what went wrong....
!: don't let following pics fool you. this ain't a game. its real physics simulation.
!: when using ummu add-on all passengers will have vital functions. so turn up the heating. and oxygen is 21%!!!! DONT MESS THIS UP when u got mame abort!!! AND BE CAREFUL WITH THAT AIRLOCK! HELL....!
!: NO! u cannot shoot sth in this....
!: you cannot imagine how satisfying this is when doing the magic with the numbers for hours, and in the end all works fine! flying 100.000 of km with pin-point accuracy. pretty hard to start, i know, but when you can handle it all it is just awesome!

Pics (not from me)

- arrow freighter: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/screenshot/dansteph/2012Arrow83.jpg
- arrow freighters bridge: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/screenshot/dansteph/2012Arrow33.jpg

- delta glider: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121231003258/orbiterfanfiction/images/3/35/DeltaGliderSeriesMainImage.jpg
- delta glider cockpit: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/downloadround/tempdgIV/gallery/DeltaGliderIV-cockpit.jpg

- please reduce crashes to when musme NOT aboard: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/screenshot/dansteph/2012Arrow131.jpg

EDIT: a better(!) vid (currently watching this)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:57:34 PM by etranger01 »
もし、モーニング娘。がいなかったら、私達はいったい誰のファンだったのだろう。
もし、モーニング娘。がいなかったら、私達はいったい誰の曲を口ずさんでいたのだろう。

藤代冥砂

Offline etranger01

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • alpha to omega & lambda for mame
« Reply #779 on: October 07, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »
The Nobel Prize in Physics 2014 was awarded jointly to Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura "for the invention of efficient blue light-emitting diodes which has enabled bright and energy-saving white light sources".
http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2014/

Afghani: and what is that?
Rambo: blue light?
Afghani: what does it do?
Rambo: shines blue...
もし、モーニング娘。がいなかったら、私達はいったい誰のファンだったのだろう。
もし、モーニング娘。がいなかったら、私達はいったい誰の曲を口ずさんでいたのだろう。

藤代冥砂

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Cune - Tokyo