JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: CLC - Eighteen

Author Topic: Interesting Interview with creator of BackupHDDVD  (Read 3385 times)

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
Interesting Interview with creator of BackupHDDVD
« on: January 25, 2007, 04:00:15 AM »
You may or may not know but I guess you could say that both HDDVD and Blu-ray have already been "cracked" and here is an interview with a guy who has made known the exploit.

http://www.slyck.com/story1390.html

I thought it was a really interesting anyway.

Let's hear your thoughts?

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 08:32:23 AM »
Here's another article, it kinda gives more detail of exploit.

http://dailytech.com/Bluray+Encryption+Defeated/article5795.htm

Offline Kei

• It's legal in MY country!
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
This can only be a good thing, really. If the movie studios had their way the consumers would have no rights and that's a fucking joke. I find it rude that they get to decide if the hardware I have is acceptable enough for them to allow me to play their discs on it.

It's just pretentious.
赤い瞳は ソドムの街で
美しい女を 採集する
針で止めた 蝶や蛾の様に
動けないおまえは 俺の物

Offline Sukebei

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:44:34 PM »
Hm I wasn't expecting either format to be "cracked" so soon actually.  No one even buys blu-ray or hd-dvd's where I live lol.  Personally I think it's a good thing, but I'm more interested in how this will affect which format becomes the new standard.  According to muslix64, since HD-DVD's protection is weaker, it will win.  Now the PS3 is even more useless lol.  Sony better pick things up...
In any case thnx for the news links ebc, now I'll have something to talk about at work haha
Other FFDShow Guides/Templates: Link1 Link2

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 05:25:14 PM »
wait... that means there's a chance that PS3 games will be cracked too? nice... I might reconsider buying one then...
thanks for the news ^^

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:02:57 AM »
LOL... damn pirates :lol:

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 03:55:36 AM »
Definitely a good thing. Studios are screwing us over with all the shit they pull.

Offline nachdenki

• Member+
  • 桃子はひっぱりだこ
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 04:49:59 AM »

What motivated you to help circumvent the content protection scheme associated with HD DVD and Blu-ray?
With the HD-DVD, I wasn't able to play my movie on my non-HDCP HD monitor. Not being able to play a movie that I have paid for, because some executive in Hollywood decided I cannot, made me mad...

^ that's the funniest part IMHO.

I didn't expected them to be "cracked" that fast, but like he said, as long as you can play the dvd you can crack the protection.
The industry should put their effort into something different, really, like making DVDs cheaper or something like that~
ChrNo, I hope you are happy
Support your favorite group, buy CDs, DVDs and merch.
Then make your favorite happy and show off your support in the h!p collection thread
momochi tumblr | berikyuu tumblr

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »
Quote from: nachdenki;295186
The industry should put their effort into something different, really, like making DVDs cheaper or something like that~
DVD medea is 'cheap', do not confuse content with the physical thing it is on.

I can get into the idea that the producers want money back for what they invested, its the way its done that is the problem (e.g. his argument about not 'allowed to play because...')

Offline nachdenki

• Member+
  • 桃子はひっぱりだこ
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 07:14:15 PM »
Quote from: frblckstr1;295309
DVD medea is 'cheap', do not confuse content with the physical thing it is on.

I can get into the idea that the producers want money back for what they invested, its the way its done that is the problem (e.g. his argument about not 'allowed to play because...')

I'm not talking about the physical thing itself and I don't have a problem with paying artists, producer etc. for good work.
But just imagine how much money they spend for developing the algorithms and just the plain software. I doubt they are working for free, so they are rising the price for DVDs and/or the cinema stuff to compensate the costs. They could minimize these costs and lower the price for movies and music cds a little to sell more.

Well I may be wrong and people would copy a lot more if there were no protection so it's still better to spend the money for developing, but I doubt that.
ChrNo, I hope you are happy
Support your favorite group, buy CDs, DVDs and merch.
Then make your favorite happy and show off your support in the h!p collection thread
momochi tumblr | berikyuu tumblr

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 07:19:06 PM »
Quote from: nachdenki;295730
But just imagine how much money they spend for developing the algorithms and just the plain software. I doubt they are working for free, so they are rising the price for DVDs and/or the cinema stuff to compensate the costs. They could minimize these costs and lower the price for movies and music cds a little to sell more.
Developing those (and do not forget: implementing them in the players!) is not the cost rising factor, one B movie and they are recovered, divide that over all the (HD)DVD's sold and you will not find them back.

(and copying 29GB like for the Hulk...)

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 11:12:29 PM »
Quote from: nachdenki
I didn't expected them to be "cracked" that fast, but like he said, as long as you can play the dvd you can crack the protection.
Which is true but still the way this guy cracked it isn't something that should have happened so easily and I think it can be put down to poor testing of the system overall.

Like he said it comes down to the weakest link, and where they really made the mistake is not fully testing how easy it would be for somebody to figure out what muslix64 did (before he or others did). If they did properly test different methods that people would use to try attack their system then they would have found how easy it was to break it themselves.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 07:25:56 AM »
^ Its almost the same with how the DVD encyption was cracked: someone left in a un-encrypted key -> someone found it -> started.

This time someone found an un-encrypted key in memory -> the ball started rolling.
The fact is, the algorithm is not cracked (like with the DVD encryption), the keys are exposed resulting in that someone can uncrypt the contents.

The end-result is the same, the method is not.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: CLC - Eighteen