JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Natsumen - Atami Free Zone

Author Topic: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver THREAD [spoilers/results inside]  (Read 49112 times)

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
Re: 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver THREAD [spoilers/results inside]
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
Watch this scoop about Yu-Na:

I believe 23rd is the date for the women's figure skating. Don't miss it.
[/url]

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »
lol they been showing the torch relay through lower BC for the past 3 hours :on lol:

This hockey tourney is gonna be EPIC. Peep the groupings:

Group A

*  Canada
    *  United States
    *  Switzerland
    *  Norway

Group B

*  Russia
    *  Czech Republic
    *  Slovakia
    *  Latvia

Group C

*  Sweden
    *  Finland
    *  Belarus
    *  Germany

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-hockey/

The opening ceremonies is actually in less than 3 hrs. 6 PM PST

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »
this is real sad... :cry:

IOC confirms Olympic luger dies after crash
21 minutes ago

By STEPHEN WILSON AP Sports Writer

VANCOUVER, British Columbia(AP)—A men’s Olympic luger from the country of Georgia died Friday after a high-speed crash during training. IOC president Jacques Rogge said the death hours before the opening ceremony “clearly casts a shadow over these games.”

Nodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center. Doctors were unable to revive the 21-year-old luger, who died at a hospital, the International Olympic Committee said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Rescue workers were at his side within seconds, chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Kumaritashvili struck the inside wall of the track on the final turn. His body immediately went airborne and cleared the ice-coated concrete wall along the left side of the sliding surface. His sled remained in the track, and it appeared his helmet visor skidded down the ice.

“It’s a very rare situation,” three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before learning of the death and was clearly shaken moments after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical officials.

Olympic competition in men’s luge is scheduled to begin Saturday. It’s unclear if that schedule would be affected.

It was Kumaritashvili’s second crash during training for the Vancouver Games. He also failed to finish his second of six practice runs, and in the runs he did finish, his average speed was about 88 mph - significantly less than the speed the top sliders are managing on this lightning-fast course.

It was unclear how fast Kumaritashvili was going, although many sliders have exceeded 90 mph on this course. The track is considered the world’s fastest and several Olympians recently questioned its safety. More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations - like Georgia - had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

“I’ve never seen anything like that,” said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

The remainder of men’s training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying in a release that an investigation was taking place to “ensure a safe field of play.”

Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans - Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked - have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

“I think they are pushing it a little too much,” Australia’s Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. “To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we’re crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.”

At the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, Nicholas Bochatay of Switzerland died after crashing into a snow grooming machine during training for the demonstration sport of speed skiing on the next-to-last day of the games. He was practicing on a public slope before his event was to begin.

Austrian downhill skier Ross Milne died when he struck a tree during a training run shortly before the 1964 Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria. British luger Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypecki also died in a crash during training in Innsbruck.

At the 1988 Calgary Games, an Austrian team doctor, Jorg Oberhammer, died after being hit by a snow grooming machine.

AP Sports Writers Tim Reynolds and Tom Withers in Whistler contributed to this report.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=txluglugerdies&prov=st&type=lgns

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
^sad, luge sledders said the track was hella dangerous. and the georgian guy was inexperienced.

Pics
(GRAPHIC)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/12/nodar-kumaritashvili-cras_n_460474.html

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2010, 04:22:24 AM »
Bryan Adams performing in the opening, kickin' ass old school!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2010, 04:25:28 AM »
^
LOL he was lip-synching and missed his cue to start. :lol:

The Georgian team was understandably somewhat subdued when they made their entrance.  All the team members wore a black scarf in remembrance of their fallen teammate. The TV commentators said that after the team wanted to do the official entrance, and that they had been given special permission to leave the ceremony once that had been done (an understandable request on the team's part).

EDIT: Donald Sutherland as the Narrator's voice = :rockon:

Sarah McLachlan "performing" = :twothumbs

EDIT 2: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand at the end of the show, one of the arms of the icicle sculpture that is the Olympic "Cauldron" fails to work when it's supposed to.  :sweatdrop:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:04:02 AM by JFC »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2010, 06:12:07 AM »
LOL @ Steve Nash and Wayne Gretzky's face C"MON LIGHT IT!!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010, 06:14:38 AM »
Well, at least the lighting of the "external" cauldron, which is the same design as the one they had in the stadium (actually, it's how the other one was supposed to look) went off fine. :thumbsup

MOOG! GET SOME PICS OF YOURSELF AT THE CAULDRON DUDE!

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2010, 06:19:05 AM »
Summary of the Ceremony:

Started out nice, countries coming in. Some hot sporty chicks, all that. Then BANG, wtf! :huhuh What's going on? Fiddlers? Wolverine? Step dancers? A flying dude for 563025 minutes. Boring. Yawn. High aussie producers. More boring shit, then.. Bobby Orr! Finally something awesome. Shit was going on track.. NOT! Boring ass Opera is suddenly on. A dude whos a chick who looks like a dude singing Cohen's song. ;_; But what you remember, is the last part. Nash, Gretzky. <3 Shit not working right. That chick being left out (LOL hahaha). Finally.. Gretzky lighting the big ass outside torch aswell. So all of moog can see the olympic flame.

Some of the best commentary pieces from NBC and ESPN.
-"This was perfect!" (After the mechanical fail)
-"60 000 people mesmerized by this breathtaking performance" (During the wtf dude flying)

Basically. I was not impressed. Moogs tax money, LOL. Luckily, there's no doubt in my mind that the actual games will be anything like the ceremony. The games most certainly will be fucking awesome.

I'll be following my fav winter sports: Hockey, Women's Figure Yu-Na, Curling, Biathlon and might check out the Luge, Skeleton, Bobsleigh and Snowboarding stuff.
[/url]

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »
Phew yeah, it wasn't too bad a ceremonies minus the Praries  :smhid and the cheap bed sheets.

GO CANADA!! :canada:

Bring on Celine Dion! and Jim Carrey talking out of his ass!

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2010, 06:29:36 AM »

bum

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
Fiddlers? Wolverine? Step dancers?
Representing a part of Canadian culture and heritage...tattoos and body hair notwithstanding. :P

A flying dude for 563025 minutes. Boring. Yawn.
Yeah, even though that part of the show was meant to represent the area of Canada that myself and KT are from, I found that part of the show a bit weird.

A dude whos a chick who looks like a dude singing Cohen's song. ;_;
XD
That was Canadian singer k.d. Lang. She's a lesbian...of the grossly butch variety.

Some of the best commentary pieces from NBC and ESPN.
-"This was perfect!" (After the mechanical fail)
Well, it was the American broadcast of it. :lol:

Offline Naomi

• Member+
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2010, 07:07:09 AM »
I actually really enjoyed the ceremony. It was cool with the screen on the floor and the water and that guy floating everywhere... Plus Sarah McLachlan was there! :w00t:

I'm probably going to watch each event just because I have nothing better to do, but I'm mainly looking forward to the the figure skating and snowboarding. :)

I'm still really sad that Michelle Kwan's not there because she's my favorite athlete. :cry: I've been a fan of her for over 10 years (since about 97/98, so about 12 years. Sheesh.) and have been wanting to see her get an Olympic gold medal for forever now, but she won't ever get one. =/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:09:28 AM by Naomi »

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
Just a quick thing about Nodar Kumaritashvili, a very very tragic story.  Whenever something like this happens, it always makes me think that no matter how bad I think MY life is, there are worse things happening around the world to other people.  That's why its so pointless to talk about the positive things in life, and not about all the stupid crap that you THINK is making your life miserable.  People at work making you mad?  Boo hoo.  Kumaritashvili got killed doing something that he loved to do, shooting for a goal that he worked most of his life for.  I feel so incredibly sorry for what happened, but I also keep in mind that he was a hard worker who did his best all the way until the end.  Rest in peace, the world will be thinking of you for the duration of the Games.

Offline jaysonnj

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 07:27:47 AM »
got this tweet from Mugen earlier in the day:

@jaysonalmenana lol i do kinda. but i have a feeling they gonna screw something up during the opening ceremony though!

then again during the mechanical failure:

@jaysonalmenana i told you!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
It was Mugen's fault!!! HE PAID THOSE DRUNK CHICKS TO ACT LIKE ASSES.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Tonight is the 5K speed skating; probably the most anticipated event here in the Netherlands. Everybody expects Sven kramer to win. Everybody. Failure is not an option! I'd hate to be him right now  :nervous He's racing quite early (against Shani Davis) which means he'll have to go all out... should be a pretty epic race!

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
pictures coming soon. just got home from all the drunkiness!

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2010, 04:14:56 PM »
I hate all the comparisons as it wasn't as great as Beijing's performance.  It was pretty good given all the logistical crap necessary in planning, and the not as long history as China.

Offline Iamabowl

• Captain of the Inanimate Object Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:26:24 PM by Iamabowl »

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Natsumen - Atami Free Zone