JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Home Made Kazoku - Homerareru to Nobiru Type

Author Topic: 'Ear bud' headphones can cause hearing loss, experts warn  (Read 3672 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
'Ear bud' headphones can cause hearing loss, experts warn
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 06:33:09 PM »
No surprise here, I sometimes walk past somebody and can hear the 'sound' coming from the earbuds from meters away...

(I say 'sound' because 1) they mostly do not play something I consider music, 2) it is so loud that you can clearly hear distortion)

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 07:00:47 PM »
ya... not just with earbuds, but also with the people who play loud music in their cars.
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:32:20 PM »
It isn't the actual earbuds that's causing the damage, but the fact that people have the volume jacked up to the highest level that causes it.  It's the same with cigarettes. On their own, they're not harming anyone.  However, once they are LIT and people SMOKE them, THEN that's when they become harmful.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 08:49:17 PM »
Quote from: JFC
It isn't the actual earbuds that's causing the damage, but the fact that people have the volume jacked up to the highest level that causes it.  It's the same with cigarettes. On their own, they're not harming anyone.  However, once they are LIT and people SMOKE them, THEN that's when they become harmful.

agree, you´ll clearly be fine if the music is at an ok level of volume. but, going with the article here, earbuds are closer to the ear and all, and that´s a threat to hearing.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 08:40:17 AM »
I think the biggest problem with those cheapo earbuds (including the iPod one's) is that they do not protect from surrounding noise, so a lot of people turn up the volume to 'hear' the music.

It would be better to spend a few extra bucks on highquality 'in ear' style earbuds who do cancel a lot of the surrounding noise.
(or use active noise canceling heaphones like the Bose Quiet Comport 2  8) )
I use SONY MDR-EX70's (older model), very small, very good quality and you need only a very low volume to hear the music...

Deeplinking to Amazon: MDR E70's

(or you could go for the Shure E4's)

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 09:43:55 AM »
Quote from: arian

agree, you´ll clearly be fine if the music is at an ok level of volume. but, going with the article here, earbuds are closer to the ear and all, and that´s a threat to hearing.

Solution would be earphones, where the bud only keeps the plug inside an ear, and the actual speaker component is located that 1 cm farther from the ear and does not cause hearing damage.
coot is ctz

Offline escapad

• dA mAgNifiCo
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 06:22:58 PM »
mmm..
i think that the users must lower the volume when they use the earphones..
or else, they'll be deaf..

arghhh... i can stop hearing with my md..

Offline suki*

• Shweet Bitch
  • Member+
  • mikitty~!! ^o^
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 08:20:19 PM »
The whole point of earbuds/headphones is personal enjoyment of music. If I can hear you on them... O_O

Offline Dizzy

• Takahashi Ai *FAP*
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 05:05:18 AM »
Man, my hearing is already shot from concerts when I was younger.  I personally listen to my MP3 player usually at Level 15 to 20 out of 40.  Good thing about my headphone is I'm respectful though.  Even if I crank it to 40 you can BARELY hear anything.  I hate those people that have their music cranked so fucking loud on the bus I can hear their music OVER my music.  If I wanted to listen to your shit I'd download it.  I hope those people go deaf from being so rude (I'd feel the same even if it was music I enjoy listening to, but that would never happen in my area).

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 05:47:01 AM »
my mom told me the earbud thing today. she smokes, i wonder if i should use your smoking example  8)
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 06:44:18 AM »
Quote from: frblckstr1
I think the biggest problem with those cheapo earbuds (including the iPod one's) is that they do not protect from surrounding noise, so a lot of people turn up the volume to 'hear' the music.

It would be better to spend a few extra bucks on highquality 'in ear' style earbuds who do cancel a lot of the surrounding noise.
(or use active noise canceling heaphones like the Bose Quiet Comport 2  8) )
I use SONY MDR-EX70's (older model), very small, very good quality and you need only a very low volume to hear the music...

Deeplinking to Amazon: MDR E70's

(or you could go for the Shure E4's)

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/earjams/index.php

The earjams are a very good solution for those that already have earbud headphones.  I'm a bit of an audiophile and even I can't tell a difference in quality between the earjams and the higher end in-ear headphones.  I put on the ear jams and played Led Zeppelin's Good Times Bad Times and I immediately noticed the echo caused by the song being recorded in a large room which is usually something that I have to strain to hear and will miss unless I'm looking for it.  They don't just express the bass better than regular earbuds, they also express all the subtleties of the song's production.

Offline Lunatic

• Have no fear juicy is here
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 09:17:09 AM »
But the problem are not the headphones, is the volume that you play the music that goes directly to ear, but I guess that if you played it very high is because the ambient sound...

I guess that earjams are a solution.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 09:28:40 AM »
Quote from: Lunatic
But the problem are not the headphones, is the volume that you play the music that goes directly to ear, but I guess that if you played it very high is because the ambient sound...

I guess that earjams are a solution.
If they are > $10 buying new in-ear-phones might be better/cheaper  :) but yes, then you would not use 'i'(Apple) stuff...  8)

Anyway, it does look like they make it into the same 'in-ear' style plugs that I use.

Offline Tanier

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 09:39:44 AM »
they look pretty cool, but i need to hear outside noise.. so when i won't say why is the phone blinking when its... ringing.
I'm backkkkkkkk

Offline stoneden

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 09:58:50 AM »
I would have to agree that it's the volume. The whole point of wearing headphones is to keep your music private. I take public transit and see/hear the problem all the time. Someone would be using their headphones at the end of the train and I can hear it from the front. Maybe it has to be that loud, because they already lost some hearing. :?

Offline mini

• #1 Sayumi fangirl!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 11:34:12 PM »
I already had to worry about genetic deafness. Now this?!  :D

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 12:20:58 AM »
An interesting read for you guys:

clicky!

Offline ahcheungape

• Member+
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 10:03:49 AM »
all these years from listening to my discman has killed my ears abit. especially now i work at the airport, the noise from the planes' engines really affected my hearing.

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Home Made Kazoku - Homerareru to Nobiru Type