JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Toe - Two Moons

Author Topic: [2012.08.29] AKB48 - 27th Single "Gingham Check"  (Read 72388 times)

Offline almond

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • オ~マイガ~!たかみな大好き!
    • alm0nd
    • ganbanuttah
Re: [2012.08.29] AKB48 - 27th Single "Gingham Check"
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 06:27:04 PM »
I just realized what the problem is, at least for me.

I was expecting Heavy Rotation pt II, which this verymuchso is not.

Also, I think this sounds more like one of their summer songs. Picture this being done on a beach with them wearing gingham patterned bikinis.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
I just realized what the problem is, at least for me.

I was expecting Heavy Rotation pt II, which this verymuchso is not.

Also, I think this sounds more like one of their summer songs. Picture this being done on a beach with them wearing gingham patterned bikinis.

Yeah, I think a lot of this is the song not being what people expected. Before the preview everyone was even saying they wanted Heavy Rotation 2 and the like, so it's probably something of a shock.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
What I was expecting was something balls-to-the-walls, something with the oomph that Heavy Rotation and Beginner packed, but not necessarily something that looked & sounded the same. I wasn't expecting such an unappealing song, with strong Nogizaka46 vibes. Can you see yourself singing / dancing along with this? Do you expect it to top the karaoke charts? How many non-fans will confuse AKB with N46 over this? Bad mojo all around.

Offline +u+u

• Member+
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 07:59:30 PM »
Future Girls song sounds way better than Gingham Check >.> All the latest AKB singles have grown on me by some time tho. I didn't like Flying Get or Manatsu no Sounds Good at first either. Well, now I'm looking forward to Under Girls song. Hoping for something wild 'cos, damn, Sayaka is there!

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 08:18:02 PM »
It'll probably grow on me, but first impressions at the moment I think it sucks and sounds plain.

On a side note, gingham check patterns on shirts are awesome.

Offline adsad

• Member+
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 08:33:53 PM »
I wish they had swapped this song with the GREE CM one (which also had Yuko center along with Mayu and Yukirin)

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
Before everyone starts pointing fingers at me like I'm getting the lyrics tattooed across my back, I'm not giving the song that much praise. Though I suppose it's heaps in comparison to everyone else lol. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate if nothing else.

No, the song doesn't have that oomph or as much character as Heavy Rotation or Flying Get, but I think it's far from horrible. I think it would've been acceptable as a b-side. And honestly, I don't think the song itself sounds much like Nogizaka at all. To paraphrase mal, I think it's more of a package things. The song, the dresses, and the choreo together do have a Nogizaka vibe (I maintain that it's all better than Nogizaka); but, had I heard the song by itself at first, I don't think it would've been compared to them.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline RenX

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »
Oh, man
Really far from my expectation
It's no energetic dance and the costume is just *sigh*
Moreover, what is Oshima doing at the end of the song? Totally unnecessary!
That move surely does not fit the tune she was in

About the song...
Although it's nice, it definitely does not meet the type of a Sousenkyo Single which, IMO, always sounds different and being greater or more 'larger-than-life' than other AKB48 singles.
I was expecting that this single would have a great dancing and a sound like 'Iiwake, Maybe', 'Heavy Rotation' or 'Flying Get' which all have a loud, near-rock sound as well as nice guitar lines and, with the exception of Heavy Rotation, a guitar solo but this one, is just far from my expectation and I'm totally disappointed with this.

I agree with adsad
It is 'Show Fight' that should be released as a Sousenkyo Single, not Gingham Check

Offline almond

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • オ~マイガ~!たかみな大好き!
    • alm0nd
    • ganbanuttah
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
Before everyone starts pointing fingers at me like I'm getting the lyrics tattooed across my back, I'm not giving the song that much praise. Though I suppose it's heaps in comparison to everyone else lol. I guess I'm playing devil's advocate if nothing else.

At the next meetup, tenkei will have "BLUE WHITE BLUE" tattooed on his back.

Offline Seigus

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
To give the song credit, it has a pleasant and catchy tune. There are some quick but simple hand actions that are easy for fans to pick up and follow during performances. However, the song does lack the punch that a lot of us are expecting from an election single and sounds more like a summer song. It also doesn't fit well with Yuko's style. The dance choreography leans towards the girly side while Yuko's movements tend to be bigger and more in-your-face. It was kind of awkward to watch her doing all the funky kicks and leg movements in that frilly dress.

The costumes are cute but they don't stand out with the lack of bright and contrasting colours. I'm not digging the length of the dresses as they look messy during the more vigorous dance parts. Shorter dresses would work better visually. I'm waiting to see the red/white PV costumes in action as they appear to have more attitude.

Anyway, I'm giving them time to improve on the overall performance. Flying Get was messy as hell during its first few performances with the huge number of mic stands and we saw how they removed several of them over time which resulted in the much smoother performance we see now.

P.S. I admit I prefer Show Fight as it sounds more powerful and is the kind of song that I really like. It's a pity they didn't use it for the Senbatsu Girls but hey, if Aki-p sticks to the last two years' formula, we'll be getting a cool song pretty soon! :grin:

Offline Rust

• Member+
  • またまた エリカ様
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 03:08:41 AM »
Well, here's my two cent for what it's worth:

I think the song is quite nice. I find Gingham Check to be quite catchy, & the choreography to be relaxing & enjoyable. (I like Nogizaka too but migawd their choreography is downright horrendous... don't think it the girls' fault, not completely at least, but more of the choreographer's. Send an akb/nmb/ske choreographer already aki-p! The Gingham Check dance is godly in comparison... off topic.) Nonetheless, I must concede this certainly was not what I was expecting. & I think this is the problem with this song: expectation & compatibility.

I think most of us was expecting a song with the high tension of Heavy Rotation, or one with the power & impact of Beginner. This song is none of the above, which fails expectation. The aforementioned two traits also goes hand in hand with Yuko's style & character, while this song does not. This fails compatibility. With these two wishes for the A-side not being met, we experience disappointment.

However, I don't think this means Gingham Check is a bad song. It just is not what we expected, & is not compatible with Yuko's style. Imagine Mayu or Yuki being center instead of Yuko, & this song wouldn't have the above-mentioned problem imho, & we might all even be satisfied with it. (lol mayuzaka)
Certainly, trying to replicate the success of Heavy Rotation wouldn't be an easy task too. But this being potentially Yuko's last centered single, we all likely wished the best out of it. While there is certainly nothing wrong with feeling disappointed, I do believe this single have many other upsides (the B-sides), & hope this single do well, since it is potentially Yuko's last centered single.

In the end of the day, I do hope Yuko will have the opportunity to center another upcoming single, one that does meet our expectation, & fulfill compatibility.

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 04:32:50 AM »
The Song: Likes, soft touch, nice melody and chorus  :w00t:
The costumes: Likes very much, lots of variety, and all the girls look real purty  :drool:
The room below: NOT SO MUCH enough already with the Gingham check   :twisted:

Offline yooshimen

• Member+
Re: [2012.08.29] AKB48 - 27th Single ""
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 09:16:48 AM »
The song name Gingham Check is interesting, anybody knows what it's in English?

It's the type of pattern that's on their clothes. That's also why they sing "blue white blue" in the chorus.

Aaaa okey    :)

I haven't listened PV's yet, but I will do it when I have much time and motivation

Offline LovelyGaki

• TakaGaki<3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »
I had to listen to it a few times for the song to kick-in.

Now with GC, it's not as catchy as the previous SS singles. Like it didn't really grab me like the others.
The song is. . .cute. I want to say similar to Ue kara Mariko, but that's just me.

I enjoyed Yuko's little dance solo. And UME!
At first I read it as Gundam Check :doh:

When they first sang "Gingham Check", my mind thought of

I put the Japanese version just for kicks&giggles :lol:

Here's the full vid +HebiRote

“Never regret anything coz at one time it was exactly what u wanted……;))”
-Ayumi Hamasaki
The WrecKreated Co.

Offline CtrlZee

• Undo
  • Member+
  • HAAAAPPY BIRTHDAAAAY TOOO YOUUU
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
Kaaten no naka~ Taiyou to kanojo to watashi~

First time of watching and listening impression : Guruguru Curtain v2 XD

But after checking it out several times, the song is pretty nice and costumes are just "okay" if you don't compare it with other Senbatsu songs.

Yes, it has a strong NZK46 vibe to it. Maybe Aki-P's trying to really introduce a NEW AKB48 w/o Acchan? :huhuh

The chorus is stuck in my head :lol:

Yuko's solo dancing is of course, damn awesome, just like Heavy Rotation :thumbsup Doesn't fit the soft feel of the song though. She deserved better.

Waiting for where Show Fight's gonna be. Already on my To-Buy list.

EDIT : Juuryoku Sympathy should've totally been the single instead.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:28:17 PM by CtrlZee »

Offline AyaYukkoRie

• Member+
  • I <3 JPOP! :D
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »
I was just wondering that why people say that it's not nice.. I  :heart: it!! It doesn't really have a big impact.. But when you repeat it again and again, it is the song for your day.. For me, it doesn't matter what kind of song they sing.. I still love them no matter what.. They are just so cute in their outfits.. :) Wish that this will still be a million-seller.. :) Yeah, costumes are Nogizaka-like.. Hehe.. :nervous

Flean

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
For me their costumes are much better than nogizaka..  XD and Taka looks really cute in that gingham..:wub: LOL.. 

the song already stuck in my head when I put it on repeat..   :lol:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:34:43 PM by Flean »

Offline +u+u

• Member+
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
'Blue, white, blue' was playing in my head for a long time yesterday  :lol:

Offline lolym

• ecchi
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »
I honestly wasn't expecting something as good as Hebirote or Furage but come on, that song sounds like a b-side.
Future Girl's song sounds much better so far, I'm looking forward to it.

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 01:12:14 AM »
to paraphrase the late Texas Senator, Lloyd Bensten: Gingham Check, I served with Flying Get, I knew Flying Get, Flying Get was a personal favorite of mine. Gingham Check, you're no Flying Get.

But so what......Ponytail to Shushu, Flying Get, Heavy Rotation, Iiwake Maybe, Namida Surprise! Boku no Taiyou, Sakura no Shiori, Yuuhi wo Miteiru ka, ........yada, yada, yada..................a pretty big variety of song types.

I do think Gingham Check  is one of those songs that will win people over in time, and in fact, two or three years from now, when this song is performed again by AKB48, or one of the associated groups, some former naysayers will be saying "Oh, I love this song!!"

And  looking like Nogizaka is a compliment! Those girls are cute, and AKB48 ladies are as well. So, yeah, Tenkei san, where is that Tatoo shop?

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Toe - Two Moons