Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 57233 times)

Offline ctz

  • secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 2374
What are you reading?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2006, 01:54:49 AM »
Aren't people reading anymore? I bet you got new books from Santa! At least I did.

But I haven't read them yet. Instead I'm reading this one:



It's about guys who founded their own anime studio and made some good anime for all of us.
coot is ctz

Offline Failan

  • Member+
  • Posts: 171
What are you reading?
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2006, 06:19:56 PM »
Goin' with the Hype, I'm reading the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown at the Moment.

Offline maliciel

  • Subcru
  • Member+
  • Posts: 5343
What are you reading?
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2006, 06:27:23 PM »
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick

Dystopian settings ftw.

Offline chera

  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 1644
The Earthsea Quartet
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2006, 08:12:46 PM »
The Earthsea Quartet

Ursula K LeGuin

This edition has all four volumes in one paperback.  I had read A Wizard of Earthsea a few years ago, and wanted a refresher.  This is grand stuff.  Mature wizards and dragons fantasy, written such that children can read it (if not neccesarily understand all the issues it).  I normally hate fantasy, except for a few favorites like "Harts Hope" by Orson Scott Card.  But Earthsea easily matches that great work.  I'm reading it in preparation for the new Earthsea anime that Ghibli should be coming out with this year.

Offline Failan

  • Member+
  • Posts: 171
What are you reading?
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2006, 08:46:01 PM »
Quote from: Maliciel
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick

Dystopian settings ftw.


It's great, the best Book I've read so far from him.

Offline Stryfe

  • Tech Mod
  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 9653
What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2006, 10:18:26 PM »


Just started American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and I'm loving it so far.

Story: "Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming - a battle for the very soul of America...and they are in its direct path."

Praise: "One of the most talked-about books of the new millennium, American Gods is a kaleidoscopic journey deep into myth and across an American landscape at once eerily familiar and utterly alien. It is, quite simply, a contemporary masterpiece."

source and more

Offline ctz

  • secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 2374
What are you reading?
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2006, 10:20:57 PM »


Karl XII: En biografi by Bengt Liljegren

Biograpghy of Swedish King Carl XII (Carolus Rex), the real warrior king who achieved some great victories in the 18th century against Denmark,Poland and Russia, but was defeated in Poltava, which was the end of the Swedish empire.
coot is ctz

Offline Tuffty

  • Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 19957
What are you reading?
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2006, 03:39:36 PM »
Quote from: Stryfe


Just started American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and I'm loving it so far.

Story: "Released from prison, Shadow finds his world turned upside down. His wife has been killed; a mysterious stranger offers him a job. But Mr. Wednesday, who knows more about Shadow than is possible, warns that a storm is coming - a battle for the very soul of America...and they are in its direct path."

Praise: "One of the most talked-about books of the new millennium, American Gods is a kaleidoscopic journey deep into myth and across an American landscape at once eerily familiar and utterly alien. It is, quite simply, a contemporary masterpiece."

source and more


What a coincidence! I was about to make a post on this great book I'm reading and I find somebody has beaten me to it!  :lol: I'm around Chapter 7 at the moment and the story's very interesting.

Offline Lunar

  • GanbaREINA~ !
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 958
  • Tanakacchi <3
What are you reading?
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2006, 06:10:07 PM »


Started reading this book 1 week ago and i cant get away from it .
 :D

Offline THUNDERDUCK

  • Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 12969
    • thunderquacker
What are you reading?
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2006, 09:59:05 PM »
PLAYBOY

Back in Texas >_<

Offline Stryfe

  • Tech Mod
  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 9653
What are you reading?
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2006, 10:00:17 PM »
Quote from: Tuffty
What a coincidence! I was about to make a post on this great book I'm reading and I find somebody has beaten me to it!  :lol: I'm around Chapter 7 at the moment and the story's very interesting.


Haha great.  :lol:  I'm at chapter 4 right now and I'm really impressed with the way Gaiman creates and builds all the characters in this story. Amazing stuff.

Offline M9andG27

  • Brownie Chef
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 62
What are you reading?
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2006, 01:57:00 AM »
The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
Stephen King
     It’s the fifth book in the dark tower series. Roland and his ka-tet are looking for the Dark Tower.
I don't want to say too much for those that may want to start at the beginning...
The first four books were great... It’s really hard to put down...
I also recommend anything written by - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Over 200,000 guitar, bass and guitar pro tabs.

Offline shadowstar

  • Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • *
  • Posts: 41931
  • Idols Inc.
What are you reading?
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2006, 02:53:21 PM »

Offline Tuffty

  • Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Posts: 19957
What are you reading?
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2006, 07:00:57 PM »
Quote from: Stryfe

Haha great.  :lol:  I'm at chapter 4 right now and I'm really impressed with the way Gaiman creates and builds all the characters in this story. Amazing stuff.


Wait till the near end of Chapter 7. There's a scene that goes into more detail than I expected! :shock:

Quote from: M9andG27
The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla
Stephen King
     It’s the fifth book in the dark tower series. Roland and his ka-tet are looking for the Dark Tower.
I don't want to say too much for those that may want to start at the beginning...
The first four books were great... It’s really hard to put down...


Amazing series. Among the best books I've ever read, if not, the best.

Offline Rei-chan

  • Caribbean Queen
  • Subcru
  • Member+
  • Posts: 2741
What are you reading?
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2006, 04:01:46 AM »
I bet no one cares for this one, but here goes XD

Title: Spectrophotometry and spectrofluorimetry
What is it: a book related to the basics of my field of research

Yeah, nerdy... but it's useful for me, so oh well...


++    Ongaku! Project   ++

Offline daigong

  • Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
  • *
  • Posts: 49838
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • 111403287599703511524
What are you reading?
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2006, 05:12:23 AM »
Spectrophotometry and spectrofluorimetry? LOST!! Rei-chan got BRAINS!  :kgreat:

Quote from: arian


is it fiction or bio?  :D

Offline shiba-chan

  • Cuteness Redefined
  • Member
  • Posts: 38
What are you reading?
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2006, 06:20:54 AM »
Quote from: arian


:shock:

You are reading the EXACT same book that I am now. EXACT same one! No kidding.

:shock:

( This is suki* btw... )

Offline Masa

  • Administrator
  • Member++
  • *
  • Posts: 60079
  • Swaggalicious Basterd
    • MasaMackey
What are you reading?
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2006, 09:42:51 PM »
Our Living Multiverse


"One of the hottest areas in science today is what we are learning at the place where physics meets biology. Among many revelations from this exciting cutting edge of research, Fred Adams relates an idea that would be a radical change in the way we think of the genesis of life. Specifically, life didn't start as pond scum in some primordial oozing lake, but rather in a deep biosphere underground, protected from the continuous bombardment of the Earth's surface that astrophysicists are now certain must have been occurring when life emerged. The genesis of life was IN our planet, not on it! What are the fundamental laws of physics? What was the big bang? How did galaxies form? How did stars form? How did planets form? How did life evolve? Once there was gravity, was life inevitable? Are we alone in the multiverse? A theory of everything is not just about the universe anymore, now it is about the living multiverse."

Offline Stryfe

  • Tech Mod
  • Member+
  • *
  • Posts: 9653
What are you reading?
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2006, 10:45:46 PM »
Quote from: Tuffty
Wait till the near end of Chapter 7. There's a scene that goes into more detail than I expected! :shock:

Wow, that was indeed rather abrupt and unexpected.  :o

Chapter seven also has my favourite quote so far:

Quote
'Hey,' said Shadow. 'Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are.'
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
'Say Nevermore,' said Shadow.
'Fuck you,' said the raven.

 :lol:

Offline Christian86

  • Member+
  • Posts: 188
What are you reading?
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2006, 11:06:18 PM »
im reading the guide to elder scrolls IV oblivion :)