JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 4minute - Highlight

Author Topic: [Discuss] Triad Movies  (Read 28517 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[Discuss] Triad Movies
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
Triad Movies

Who likes Triad Movies? aka Hong Kong's gangster culture aka 黑社會 is one of Asia Movies & TV's most popular genres.

Filled with storylines of struggle between cops and gangsters, brotherhood and betrayal, glory and dishonor, the action is non-stop, the lessons in life oh so valuable. From "Mark 哥 Gor" (Chow Yun-fat in A Better Tomorrow 英雄本色 series) to "Chan Ho Nam 陳何南" (Ekin Cheng Yi-kin in the Young and Dangerous 古惑仔之人在江湖 series) - it's malebonding to DA MAX!!

Triad Tidbits

The triad society was formed during the Qing Dynasty and was organized to protest against the government, they worshipped Lord Guan (see below) adopting his loyalty to the former Han Dynasty. Triads want their members to have the qualities of Lord Guan, most importantly, righteousness and to make contribution to the society especially when their people are under threat of a harsh repression.

Over several centuries, triads today developed from a patriotic society to a criminal organization. They moved to Hong Kong after the Communists came into power.

The name "triad" was coined by British authorities in Hong Kong, referring to that use of triangular imagery.

One common scene you see in Triad Movies is the worship of the famous hero Guan Gong (or Guan Yu 關羽) from the Han Dynasty (during the period of the Three Kingdoms) who exemplifies the Chinese thinking of the six qualities of a humble man:

• humanity (仁)
  • righteousness (義)
  • ritual obedience (禮)
  • wisdom (智)
  • loyalty (忠)
  • trust (信)

Guan Gong is most respected as the epitome of loyalty and righteousness (yee hay).

Ironically, it is for the same reason that some police officers of the Hong Kong Police also worship Guan Gong, especially when a tough operation is to be carried out. The joke is that Guan Gong will be caught in the middle when the police and the triads face off.

Triad societies have traditions and exotic rituals dating back to the early days of The Hung Clan in the 18th century. The concept of brotherhood, "secret handshakes", and the use of triangles as symbols. Moreover, many of those rituals were based on superstitions and were related to peasant faiths in Southern China. For instance, in formal inauguration ceremonies new members were required to take a blood oath in front of an altar. After incenses were burnt, the head of a rooster would be chopped off, and each new member would taste its blood.

"Gau Geung?" (canto for "you tough enough?") Use the weapon of choice, The "Watermelon Knife"

Tattoos is a common association:

Here's a few characters / movies to get you started on learning the traditions of brotherhood and introduce the concept of Jiang Hu (江湖 literally "rivers" & "lakes") aka The Triad Society:

A Better Tomorrow Directed by John Woo The movie that started it all. Hong Kong movie history was broken with record box office and numerous awards incl. Best Picture and Best Actor for Ti Lung. The blood-and-bullet level was raised to new highs with epic cinematic artistry and hyper-kinetic action. The story of brotherhood and redemption has had a huge cult following worldwide, most notable Mark Gor (played by Chow Yun-fat) is the ultimate gangster.

His rise and fall, and ultimate payback is highlighted by his famous "I will not only get back what I lost, but to show them I'm the BEST!" theme has been copied by millions.

The Killer John Woo's masterpiece, The Killer illustrates the dilemma of upholding principles, sacrificing friends and betraying one's conscience. It's a classic example of Woo's cinematic style and flair, with the infamous church bloodbath scene included. As described by John Woo, The Killer is "a movie conveying my philosophical thinking and my own version of righteousness".

Young and Dangerous series Directed by Andrew Lau Glamorizing the triad lifestyle full of flash clothes, fast cars, and fabulous women, Y&D provides a glimpse into the culture of triads. The influential movie and its many sequels, spin-offs and parodies, depict the importance of discipline, morality, righteousness and tradition. Introducing us to such goo wak jai (canto for gangster) like Chan Hor Nam (Ekin Cheng), Chicken (Jordan Chan) and buddies:

...and featuring the notorious Ugly Kwan (played  by Francis Ng) was the ultimate villain, power hungry, and doing anything possible to reach the top of the chain.

This series was so epic, several actors returned playing different characters, like Roy Cheung Yiu-Yeung lol

The Mission and Exiled Blurring the lines between crime drama, triad action and romanticism, Johnny To's stylish The Mission and Exiled creates a world where people are forced to turn into cold-blooded killers, yet still possess an inherent sense of goodness and morality. The "One Last Job" is a common theme. Just watching four gangsters goof around in a photobooth before the most epic bloodbath is what malebonding is all about.

Infernal Affairs Directed by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak Bringing an inventive twist to the typical triad movie, the directors blaze new trails by replacing bloody fighting with a darker and more philosophical spin in Infernal Affairs. Winner of seven prizes including Best Movie at the 2002 Hong Kong Film Awards, Infernal Affairs raised the bar by injecting non-stop games of double-crossing, questioning of integrity, and shifting of loyalties.

Election and Election 2 Johnnie To's narrative on the power struggle to be the Chairman (jah fit yen). This is like Triad 101 on the whole process of how members struggle for power and the loyalties of fellow members are tested. Oaths be broken as one rises to the top.

Tony Leung Ka-fai and Louis Koo Tin-lok help Simon Yam Tat-wah make this one of HK's best ensemble casts. You get the whole triad ritual, like drinking blood mixed with wine:

Laughing Gor (played by Michael Tse) is a TVB Character which set housewives in a frenzy as the loudmouth, over aggressive triad boss who has a soft spot for his boss' woman and takes a undercover cop under his wing - mirroring his own career. Spin off movies like "Turning Point" and an appearance in "House of 72 Tenants" await.

No matter how many killings and drug deals are depicted in the films, the main characters always retain their sense of honour and chivalry. :pimp:

DISCUSS!

What's your favorite movies?
Who are your favorite actors/characters?
How did you get hooked on Triad Movies?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: [Discuss] Triad Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
you see this throughout Election series:

Below is a heavily abridged version of the thirty-six traditional Triad oaths of the nineteenth century. For an accurate, if lengthy, English translation, see Appendix C of Fei-Ling Davis' "Primitive Revolutionaries of China".

1. After having entered the Han gates I must treat the parents and relatives of my sworn brothers as my own kin. I shall suffer death by five thunderbolts if I do not keep this oath.
   2. I shall assist my sworn brothers to bury their parents and brothers by offering financial or physical assistance. I shall suffer death by five thunderbolts if I do not keep this oath.
   3. When Han brothers visit my house, I shall provide them with board and lodging. I shall be killed by myriads of knives if I treat them as strangers.
   4. I will always acknowledge my Han brothers when they identify themselves. If I ignore them I will be killed by myriads of swords.
   5. I shall not disclose the secrets of the Han family, not even to my parents, brothers, or wife. I shall never disclose the secrets for money. I will be killed by myriads of swords if I do so.
   6. I shall never betray my sworn brothers. If, through a misunderstanding, I have caused the arrest of one of my brothers I must release him immediately. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
   7. I will offer financial assistance to sworn brothers who are in trouble in order that they may pay their passage fee, etc. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
   8. I must never cause harm or bring trouble to my sworn brothers or Incense Master. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.
   9. I must never commit any indecent assaults on the wives, sisters, or daughters, of my sworn brothers. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I break this oath.
  10. I shall never embezzle cash or property from my sworn brothers. If I break this oath I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  11. I will take good care of the wives or children of sworn brothers entrusted to my keeping. If I do not I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  12. If I have supplied false particulars about myself for the purpose of joining the Han family I shall be killed by five thunderbolts.
  13. If I should change my mind and deny my membership of the Han family I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  14. If I rob a sworn brother or assist an outsider to do so I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  15. If I should take advantage of a sworn brother or force unfair business deals upon him I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  16. If I knowingly convert my sworn brother's cash or property to my own use I shall be killed by five thunderbolts.
  17. If I have wrongly taken a sworn brother's cash or property during a robbery I must return them to him. If I do not I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  18. If I am arrested after committing an offence I must accept my punishment and not try to place blame on my sworn brothers. If I do so I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  19. If any of my sworn brothers are killed, or arrested, or have departed to some other place, I will assist their wives and children who may be in need. If I pretend to have no knowledge of their difficulties I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  20. When any of my sworn brothers have been assaulted or blamed by others, I must come forward and help him if he is in the right or advise him to desist if he is wrong. If he has been repeatedly insulted by others I shall inform our other brothers and arrange to help him physically or financially. If I do not keep this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  21. If it comes to my knowledge that the Government is seeking any of my sworn brothers who has come from other provinces or from overseas, I shall immediately inform him in order that he may make his escape. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  22. I must not conspire with outsiders to cheat my sworn brothers at gambling. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  23. I shall not cause discord amongst my sworn brothers by spreading false reports about any of them. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  24. I shall not appoint myself as Incense Master without authority. After entering the Han gates for three years the loyal and faithful ones may be promoted by the Incense Master with the support of his sworn brothers. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I make any unauthorized promotions myself.
  25. If my natural brothers are involved in a dispute or law suit with my sworn brothers I must not help either party against the other but must attempt to have the matter settled amicably. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  26. After entering the Han gates I must forget any previous grudges I may have borne against my sworn brothers. If I do not do so I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  27. I must not trespass upon the territory occupied by my sworn brothers. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I pretend to have no knowledge of my brothers' rights in such matters.
  28. I must not covet or seek to share any property or cash obtained by my sworn brothers. If I have such ideas I will be killed.
  29. I must not disclose any address where my sworn brothers keep their wealth nor must I conspire to make wrong use of such knowledge. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  30. I must not give support to outsiders if so doing is against the interests of any of my sworn brothers. If I do not keep this oath I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  31. I must not take advantage of the Han brotherhood in order to oppress or take violent or unreasonable advantage of others. I must be content and honest. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.
  32. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I behave indecently towards small children of my sworn brothers' families.
  33. If any of my sworn brothers has committed a serious offense I must not inform upon them to the Government for the purposes of obtaining a reward. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I break this oath.
  34. I must not take to myself the wives and concubines of my sworn brothers nor commit adultery with them. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  35. I must never reveal Han secrets or signs when speaking to outsiders. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.
  36. After entering the Han gates I shall be loyal and faithful and shall endeavour to overthrow Ch'ing and restore Ming by coordinating my efforts with those of my sworn brethren even though my brethren and I may not be in the same professions. Our common aim is to avenge our Five Ancestors. If I break this oath the Incense Master has a right to assassinate me.

remember when Lam Suet is reciting them while Gordon Lam beats him with a log  XD

Offline Shinora

• konkonism: the path to enlightenment
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:22:49 AM »
Love for triad movies represent!
Been watching these movies since I was a kid back in Hong Kong.
Have all the 古惑仔 movies, including the side-stories (which I highly recommend despite how corny some of them are).
Election are great entry triad movies since they're pretty new.
[
For us Konno fans, logic and evidence can't explain why we love her, or why every day is Konno Day. - Slack

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
Ekin and Jordan REUNITE!! warning: its not what u think lol

RELEASE DATE: MAY 20, 2010

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »
LOL man...this is just too weird.

at least LMF makes up for it

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:34:29 AM »
Election flicks are a must for all triad flick fans :yep:

Simon Yam has never been more gangsta!

Exiled is another Johnnie To classic:

Sweet, sweet malebonding :thumbup

My favorite triad flick is without a doubt Infernal Affairs 2:

IA2 is almost like a triad version of The Godfather :pimp:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »
This is the Brotherhood.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:41:57 AM »
Just finished watching A Killer's Blues 邊緣歲月 (1990)

The GREAT Ti Lung returns in a grimy gangsta flick, the ol ex-gangsta wants to leave the Triad to settle down BUT JUST CANT CUZ EVERYONE GETS KILLED tale taken to a softer humourous approach, along with a touch of TI LUNG. Best actor in the biz and he shows it.

Takes place in the 70s where a wigged out Ti Lung carries out a hit on a snitch and SHIT there's a kid. So he adopts the kid and leaves his girlfriend to finish shit in the US but ends up going to jail for 14 years.

He returns and there's SHIT BREWING. Big Boss can't handle his stupid kid and 2nd Boss is making BIG MONEY with the white stuff. Gotta love The Brotherhood:

Then it gets REALLY weird as the orphan girl grows and has crush on him:

then Ah Suet (the kid) finds out the truth and is TORN

And it ain't a Triad movie if Roy Cheung isn't in it:

he even proposes like a gangsta "I'm a empty my clip and quit the triads for YOU baby!"

Of course, he has to go back to settle unfinished business.

Pretty dope theme, his life of revenge of those who crossed him and then leaveing an orphan kid comes back to haunt him. Ti Lung makes any movie better.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:34:44 AM »
Laughing Gor be back! Original GANGSTAZ

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
^ Here's the BEHIND THE SCENES. The WHO'S WHO of Triad movies. like Lam Suet is in this. not bad for a Shaw Bros/TVB Collabo:

Michael Tse and Francis Ng teaming up for the billionth time since Young & Dangerous lol

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
Triads life in Malaysia REPRESENT!

lol some familiar faces (the senior triads) I saw him in Young & Dangerous

"<Kepong Gangster> is going to be a good story to deliver the message to audience. “Away from violence, away from gangster”. Though the delivery method is indirect, it will impress audience more. Thanks to the production crew and artists, as well as the main sponsors Kaspersky and Tech Titan for their effort in bringing the meaningful film which employs a colorful spectrum of local to audience." ~by Pui Leng via http://www.malaysiaitfair.com.my/?p=5272

more shit here:
http://www.facebook.com/kepongmovie
http://www.facebook.com/halomusic

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 07:48:49 AM »
new Triad movie 《扎职》starring 陈伟霆 谭耀文 William Chan, Patrick Tam

lol looks pretty wack....Young & Dangerous Reboot I heard is coming....that'd be interesting, make Elkin and Jordan as head bosses - well their twins. we gotta watch dis shit again.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
They BACK!!

古惑仔: 江湖新秩序
YOUNG AND DANGEROUS RELOADED

Can : Goo Wat Jai: Gong Wu Sun Dit Jui
   Lit : Wise Guys: Mob New Order
     d. Daniel Chan Yee-Heng
     Law Chung Him, Philip Ng Won Lung, Oscar Leung Lit Wai,
      Dominic Ho Ho Man, Sammy Sum Chun Hin, Jacquline Chong Si Man,
      Michelle Hu Ran, Jazz Lam Chi Sin, Paul Wong Koon Chung,
      Alex Man Chi Leung, Denise Ho Wan Si, Jim Chim Shui Man,
      Timmy Hung Tin Ming, Simon Loui Yu Yueng,
      Pal Sinn Lap Man, Winnie Leung Wing Yi
   Rating : IIB, III
   Length : 106 mins.
   Opening January 10 2013

lol Denise Ho Wan-Si    ...   13th Sister

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:18 AM »
THE OG Young & Dangerous WHERE ARE THEY NOW? perspective, pix via sina.com 45岁或许对于“古惑仔”们来说是个好年纪,45岁的山鸡陈小春宣布要当爹,45岁的郑伊健抱得美娇娘。20年前风风火火的古惑仔们,如今都在做什么,又是何种模样?

郑伊健(Ekin Cheng),1968年10月4日出生,昵称伊面。1988年参加新秀歌唱大赛加入TVB,因拍阳光柠檬茶广告入行。1995年因古惑仔电影走红。此后一直以长发“浩南”造型示人。Broke off from TVB, he's done it all singer, dated all the hottest ladies like Gigi Leung and recently married Yoyo Mung

Jordan Chan Chicken / Saan Gai 就如同《古惑仔》中的山鸡一样,现实生活中的陈小春事业上也是屡遇贵人行情看涨。自古惑仔后,他在大银幕上佳作频出,而其歌手之路也可圈可点。Already established star, he keeps at it with mix of comedy and gangsta

谢天华(Michael Tse)  Dai Tin Yee,也是1967年生人,原名谢兴华,现为无线电视TVB旗下艺员。他1984年考入TVB舞蹈班,1994年与陈小春朱永棠组成偶像团体“风火海”。1995年参演古惑仔。Made it big on TVB as one of the top leading men...just lately resurgence with his Laughing Gor character.

Jerry Lamb Hiu-Fung The Comedic Relief Baau Pei / Pou Pan 1970年9月出生,前香港TVB艺员,现为亚洲电视节目主持人。看上去外表平平,事业也一直没有突破的林晓峰,是古惑仔兄弟中最早步入婚姻殿堂的,拥有漂亮的妻子和2个儿子。He went off and did TVB Super Trio with Eric Tsang and hosting duties here and there, mostly comedy guy

Jason Chu Wing-Tong     Chow Pan 朱永棠,曾是香港公认的小帅哥,曾与陈小春和谢天华组过风火海,在《古惑仔》中扮演过巢皮、蕉皮等角色。近年基本淡出娱乐圈,在香港经营美容生意,并于05年与谭凯欣结婚。lol nobody knows where he went. He was part of the boyband with jordan chan and michael tse

张耀扬从艺以来他总共拍了五十几部电影,所饰演的角色中差不多百分之八十都是反派。1986年的《龙虎风云》换来了他十八年的反派生涯。古惑仔中的反派角色也是深入人心。 ROY CHEUNG BADASS!!

lol HK Media GAY rumors:

and of course there's Alex Man Tse Leung. 万梓良,1957年7月25日生于台湾。曾获25届金马、金像等最佳男主角奖,出道后期贯出演大哥大角色。他曾在古惑仔系列中出演洪兴老大蒋天养。而今的他事业停步,淡出娱乐圈。veteran TVB actor still around, sorta lol

六部 古惑仔都看完了,还是第一部最好看。最后一部最令人吐槽,之前死掉的人都在这集里复活了。除了浩南,第二男主角是里面的牧师,每集都有啊!@愛發呆的夏豬 @桦艾E幂 哦 你失望了啊~哈哈

Which is your favorite Y&D film, character and WHY???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:01:48 AM by daigong »

Offline Assman

• aka 大光
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 05:26:48 PM »
not the reunion I expected :lol: but simply the manliest concert since....I dunno, when Ah Lam put on a show: "The Brotherhood of MEN" in CONCERT!! happens Nov 7-9

YOUNG AND DANGEROUS (GOO WAT JAI) invades the Hong Kong Coliseum stage as "Chan Ho Nam" Dior Cheng Yi Kin led "Chicken" Jordan Chan Siu Chun, "Tai Tin Yee" Michael Tse Tin Wa, "Big Head" Chin Kar Lok and "Pou Pee" Jerry Lam Hiu Fung to three concerts between November 7 and 9. They became good friends when they made the YOUNG AND DANGEROUS film series. 20 years later, all five have become family men; early this year Ekin got married, Chin Kar Lok and Chan Siu Chun became fathers in March and July respectively. They in November will fulfilled their wish of a concert reunion, as they will go against tradition and show off their bellies instead of muscles.

They are already excited before the performance as they gathered for the concert promotional poster. They put on tank tops for solo photos and put on leather jackets for the shoot. They also directed each other's poses. Lam Hiu Fung, Siu Chun and Kar Lok shared parenthood tips, while Ekin and Tin Wa discussed diving. They posed for photos as they tried to recall the YOUNG AND DANGEROUS theme song and could not stop singing.

The concert idea came from a Chan Siu Chun joke. At first they wanted to create a show for a reunion, but Siu Chun said that he would not agree unless it was a Hong Kong Coliseum performance. Finally they landed in the Hong Kong Coliseum. The guest segment of the concert gave them the most headache, as they thought the three hour schedule would not be enough. Ekin said, "We wanted to bring back some of the friends who have been in this film series for a reunion. The guest list hasn't been confirmed yet. Earlier at an event I already invited my onscreen girlfriend Shu Qi; the other lover (Gigi) Lai Chi has already retired from performance, but she could still attend the show and have fun with us. I hope to invite (Jason) Chu Wing Tong, (Karen) Mok Man Wai, (Sandra) Ng Kwan Yu, (Francis) Ng Chun Yu, (Alex) Man Chi Leung and (Danny) Lee Sau Yin."

Lately male singers would often show off their muscles at their concerts. Kar Lok joked, "Thin and six pack abdominal muscles have been popular for 20 years already, we will go against tradition and show off our bellies." They pretended to lift up their bellies. Siu Chun lately has been keeping his wife company on his maternity leave and grew a little belly. He immediately supported the idea. Ekin joked that Siu Chun after becoming a father has become "Chan Little Kiss" because whenever he was on the phone with his wife Siu Chun had to "kiss" the phone. Kar Lok challenged Ekin to show his belly. Ekin revealed that Kar Lok did not want to lose weight, so he wanted everyone to gain weight.
Posted by hktopten

Wasn't a singer too? where the fuck did he go? Immigrated to Canada? XD Great to seem all together tho!

Get your tickets NOW!!! they go on sale 8/19: http://tixmart.org/searchshow_en.php?eid=1361

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 02:49:24 AM »
FINALLY!! Fuckin Election 3 is coming!

Director Johnnie To is readying Election 3 for a tentative 2018 production date.

The Hong Kong auteur told The Hollywood Reporter exclusively that he has almost finished the script for the third installment of his critically acclaimed Election series.

The filmmaker is considering whether Louis Koo will reprise his role in the third pic.

"The script is rather long right now; I haven’t decided which section of the script will be used," said To. "If I use the later section, Koo might not be in it."

source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnnie-readies-election-3-filmart-875733

Just chills. Dragon Head. Loyalty. Righteousness. :hipheart: :yep:

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 4minute - Highlight