JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Wonder Girls - Back

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 998789 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #3061 on: June 18, 2015, 11:58:47 PM »
Hope nobody bought the Arkham Knight Batmobile Edition as it has been cancelled

This is interesting, the Hitman reboot isn't coming with a season pass and receiving free content after release. So kind of like a Splatoon model of business. Some seem a bit miffed that they won't get the full game on release but I'm ok with this considering how open they're talking about it, with assurances that the released game will be finished. A new contract each month sounds really cool and again, it's all free.

Seems like the media is overplaying Sony's hand in their involvement with Shenmue 3 by the sounds of things. £2m will apparently cover the bare minimum needed to make the game, with the stretch goals adding in more content. Sony are providing support in funding and marketing but it doesn't seem that much, although apparently there are other investors other than Sony. So it's important that the Kickstarter does well. But at the end of the day, I'll get Shenmue 3 made by Yu Suzuki himself, which was unthinkable a week ago.

I'll wax poetic a little bit by saying that Shenmue is a very special game to me because it was such a unique game in it's time (and still is to this day), with an incredible soundtrack and also just by the very nature of it's setting exposed a bit of actual Japanese culture to me. Not something processed through some anime or other games like I was used to, but really seeing things like customs and architecture in this new way I hadn't seen before and it was amazing how much detail was put into the game to really make it all seem so authentic. It came at an impressionable time in my life and frankly, if I hadn't played it, I probably wouldn't have had the interest in Japanese culture as I did and thus I wouldn't be here at JPH!P. I wouldn't have made the friends I have or even met my girlfriend. It's crazy thinking about it. So yes, Shenmue will always be special and I hope you can understand why I might be overly excited about it in the near future :nervous

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #3062 on: June 20, 2015, 04:39:09 AM »
This gives hope for Beyond Good & Evil 2 to actually happen.

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3063 on: June 25, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »
 Put both Arkham Origins and Valkyria Chronicles on hold. Decided to get back to Star Ocean: The Last Hope after 3 years.
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3064 on: June 25, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »
So uh that PC port of Arkham Knight not doing so great huh? So much so that physical and digital copies have been pulled from release. You get the feeling that with a move like that, then it means the problems can't be fixed with a simple patch. Does make you wonder how it ever got to that position, but ultimately I think it's Warner Bros fault. Those doing the PC port are bound to have found the issues and noticed them, but it is Warner Bros responsibility to publish the game at the end of the day.

Also under fire is Bungie. The future DLC release of Destiny is priced at £40, the price of the retail game, despite not including as much content. More to that, there is content hidden away behind the DLC which you can only get by rebuying the new edition which includes everything when it's released later in the year too. More to that, there is content in the DLC hidden to anyone who buys it which can only be unlocked by drinking Red Bull. Seriously. Now they're making steps to correct fan concerns and addressing player loyalty, but who honestly thought any of that sounded like a good idea? Bungie have always had a dubious relationship with advertisers (Doritos, Mountain Dew linked so closely with Halo), but this is the first time they've hidden content away because of it. So yeah screw that. Glad to have jumped off the Destiny train when I did.

A shame I don't have a competent PC because Her Story sounds unique and I would really like to play it.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3065 on: June 26, 2015, 04:47:52 AM »
Put both Arkham Origins and Valkyria Chronicles on hold. Decided to get back to Star Ocean: The Last Hope after 3 years.
I didn't get very far in that one. Everything just felt so bland. I think I just scrounged the base and left it there... i'm an awful rpg gamer. Don't have the willpower to "level up" slowly anymore. XD
But strangely, I want to go find some Tales of games to play. I haven't played anything after Vesperia... :P

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3066 on: June 26, 2015, 11:12:35 AM »
I didn't get very far in that one. Everything just felt so bland. I think I just scrounged the base and left it there... i'm an awful rpg gamer. Don't have the willpower to "level up" slowly anymore. XD

Leveling up in Star Ocean: The Last Hope takes a LONG time compared to other JRPGs. The CGI faces look emotionally dead, kinda like Supermarionation puppets. The bad voice acting, despite my hearing impairment, irks me greatly.

But strangely, I want to go find some Tales of games to play. I haven't played anything after Vesperia... :P

Try out Graces f and Xillia if you have a PS3. They are both much more beginner-friendly than Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
I venerate ample posteriors and, furthermore, I am unable to fabricate information.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3067 on: June 27, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
I didn't realise that

a) Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition HD Re-release extravaganza was out yesterday
b) It's only £20

So I bought it again. I really enjoyed DMC4 originally despite it's flaws. Let me make it clear, the spinning top things you have to punch are bad. The forest level is bad. And the fact that the second half of the campaign makes you backtrack through the entire game again? Pretty bad. Also the storyline not as well done as DMC3 which I feel has the best in the genre. But, the reason why I can overlook these flaws is that the combat in that game is so good it's rarely bettered. The possibilities that you have with Dante are insane and playing as Nero is very fun. I bought the special edition to not only play through the game again, but to see how the new characters, Vergil, Lady and Trish play. Gonna get a lot of game time out of this and for only £20, it was worth it. Also in some small way, I hope it shows Capcom that the series should stick to this approach to the series, rather than the lame DmC prequel by Ninja Theory.

I mean look at this combo video from the special edition already it is absolutely insane. Like Dragonball Z levels of insane

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3068 on: June 28, 2015, 01:09:40 AM »
DmC prequel by Ninja Theory.

Ninja Theory's DmC is set in an alternate reality and isn't part of the main/original continuity.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3069 on: June 28, 2015, 01:16:10 AM »
You're right. I hope that's the only entry in that reality we see because it might have been an otherwise ok action game, but it is not a proper Devil May Cry game.

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3070 on: June 28, 2015, 01:23:16 AM »
It's like TriStar's Godzilla. Good monster movie but horrible Godzilla movie.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3071 on: June 29, 2015, 06:53:43 AM »
Hey look!. It's Hideo Kojima all happy and alive, and fanboying.  :P About time Konami let him out of their Outer Heaven prison. :lol:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-06-27/hideo-kojima-meets-mad-max-creator-george-miller/.89757

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #3072 on: June 29, 2015, 08:47:12 AM »
A shame I don't have a competent PC because Her Story sounds unique and I would really like to play it.

I don't think you really need a competent PC for it. There is a prompt when you start the game for the graphics. Also it isn't a huge graphical monster so I bet you can play it. And you should. Holy crap, this game is so effective. I'm reading people's theories and thoughts about the story in the game and the fact that there is a fairly good split on what is and what isn't real in the story is great to me.
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #3073 on: June 29, 2015, 09:57:06 PM »
^ Just bought the game on Steam. Works fine on my below average PC. That prompt is just the Unity launcher. Seen it on several indie games. Only has one option for graphics for me.

Initial impression on the game: I'm intrigued. Played for a few minutes and I'm hooked. Barely even scratched the surface of the plot. I feel like I need something to write notes on.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #3074 on: June 29, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
There was only one option for graphics for me as well. Still, it shouldn't require a powerful machine.

I completed all the achievements in basically one sitting. I rarely go out of my way to get all the achievements, so Her Story has something special going on for me. Searching as a game mechanic is simple but compelling due to the sole performance by Viva Seifert. Without her, that game doesn't work.

I'm inclined to say Her Story is my favorite game of this year thus far.

I want more people at JPH!P to play it so we can talk about that game in full. Perhaps Her Story requires it's own thread?
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #3075 on: June 29, 2015, 10:51:11 PM »
I want more people at JPH!P to play it so we can talk about that game in full. Perhaps Her Story requires it's own thread?

How about a thread on games similar to Her Story?

Ex. To the Moon, Gone Home, Dear Esther (which I have yet to play)

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #3076 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:03 PM »

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3077 on: July 02, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »

How about a thread on games similar to Her Story?

Ex. To the Moon, Gone Home, Dear Esther (which I have yet to play)

Narrative heavy indie games? Or something..?
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline maruda

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3078 on: July 03, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
 Finally finished Star Ocean: The Last Hope. That was quite a lengthly ending. I'll do the extra content some other time. Now back to Arkham Origins.

Offline Hart

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #3079 on: July 05, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
Started playing Life is Strange this weekend (after PSN was done with maintenance). Almost done with the first episode. As someone who's extremely tempted to see every single choice, this is the perfect episodic game for me.

Speaking of episodic games, I have yet to finish The Walking Dead Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us.  :nervous

To make matters worse, I also downloaded Game of Thrones.  :doh:

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Wonder Girls - Back